Talk:Project Tiger Editathon 2018
About topics for Gujarati language
Hello, I want to sign up for upcoming Article Writing Content (March-May 2018). But I feel bad to tell that the topics given in the list seems useless to me. I am skeptical about the subjects you provided as most of them are not related to India or of Indian interest. For example, Battle of Gettysburg (who would be interested in Gujarati article on a battle of American Civil War?). Large number of articles in list are American celebrities and films. I have not heard about many of them even though I watch Hollywood films and interested in US politics. It is very unlikely that a Gujarati reader would be interested in such topics. It seems strange that this topics are listed as most searched Gujarati topics. Some articles in list already has Gujarati articles. For example, Makar Sankranti.
I am interested in writing articles on educational subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Quantum Mechanics, Particle Physics, Philosophy, Western Literature and its Theory, Indian Literature and its theory, Psychology, History etc. The lists you provided ignore these educational topics as well topics our local language (Gujarati) users most likely interested. I think educational topics can be more helpful to readers and students alike. I, myself being a Chemistry student, know that how helpful it can be to students so I want to contribute in these educational subjects. If contest is focused on these and other educational subjects, it will be very helpful to people. I would be contributing more in these subjects due to my access to public libraries and having large educational library. I would also provide other community members through recently opened resource exchange in Gujarati Wikipedia. So I kindly request to create new list of India centred topics, topics of local language reader interest and educational topics for the Article Writing Contest. I would like to invite members of Gujarati Wikipedia community, @Nizil Shah:, @KartikMistry:, @Aniket: and @Dsvyas: for inputs. Thank you. --Gazal world (talk) 13:15, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- I agree with Gazal world here. For me also, most of topics seems picked from popular article on enwiki which most likely won't be popular in Indic wikis. --KartikMistry (talk) 13:27, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
@Gazal world:, thanks for your feedback. We will try if we can provide more topics on the subjects you have expressed interest. For articles that already exist, the community can consider expanding the content and improving the quality. --Ravi (talk) 13:22, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- I agree with the points @Gazal world: has raised and thank him for beinging this to my attention. There are many articles listed here, which aready exist in gu.wiki and around 90% are non-relevant to Gujarati readers as a priority. Of course, one can argue that all articles must be in all languages, but we should make our priorities sorted first.
- @RAyyakkannu (WMF):, instead of adding more topics here in this list of non-useful topics, we should aim to get list sourced from more reliable searches/data. I don't know what crieteria were used to determine that these are most searched topics in Gujarati, whether that was any on wiki research or google analytics, etc. To me, the list here seems redundant, we need to rather create a new list for Gujarati. You might want to consider checking with other languages as well on what they feel for the topics listed.--DhavalTalk 13:54, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program/Contest/Topics/Bengali
- @খাঁ শুভেন্দু: Please see here for a list of topics for Bengali Wikipedia. We got these topics yesterday. The contest for Bengali Wikipedia until June 13 to compensate for this delay. Thanks. --Ravi (talk) 20:29, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
Adding Gujarati submission in fountain tool
I've created contest page for guwiki. How to get https://tools.wmflabs.org/fountain/editathons/project-tiger-2018-gu working? Thanks! --KartikMistry (talk) 05:22, 15 March 2018 (UTC)
- @KartikMistry: Please provide the details for Gujarati here, and then request to set up the tool here. Meanwhile, you can start working on the articles and add them to the tool when it is ready. --Ravi (talk) 09:26, 15 March 2018 (UTC)
- @Arunsunilkollam: Yes, if the given topic already exists in your Wikipedia, you can add 9000 bytes and 300 words to that and submit through the fountain tool.--Ravi (talk) 20:05, 19 March 2018 (UTC)
Add Topics for Kannada
I would suggest few articles for 'The Project Tiger' which as a regular user of wikipedia would love to read in Kannada:
- Raghu Dixit - Internationally recognised Kannada Singer.
- Vijay Prakash - Kannada Singer with pan India recognition.
- Bollywood Singers who left there mark in Kannada Film Industry.
Could you add please add these topics to Kannada section. So interested editors, including me, could provide their inputs.
South Indian film writer and director. Love the movie world ❤ ..a wannabe iPhone photographer (if that's a thing!!)... born in Bengaluru, India. email@example.com.
Baldev singh (hockey coach) A coach par excellence
Ask any hockey lover about Baldev Singh and he will sing paeans about his dedication and love towards the game. And its no surprise considering he has been successfully coaching and guiding various teams since 1995.And its just because of him that Haryana has emerged as a powerhouse in womens hockey. Based in Shahabad, Kurukshetra, he was running a nursery at SNGP Senior Secondary School there. Its to his credit that most of the players of the Haryana team come from his centre.As retired deputy director in Haryana Sports Department, Baldev was running the nursery virtually out of his pocket. After seeing his efforts, the government started providing diet money of Rs 50 to the trainees. And what a run they have had at the national level in the past few years. In fact, they have all the trophies at the junior and sub-junior levels in their cupboard, and were runners-up at the senior national championship. Baldev has produced about 40 internationals who represented India in all age groups. His State team even once jointly won the Senior National Championship. Besides grooming the rural talent, he also takes care of welfare of these underprivileged girls and help them getting jobs. His products include such stars as Surinder Kaur, Jasjeet Kaur, Suman Bala… to quote a few. Puninder (talk) 08:07, 22 March 2018 (UTC)