Talk:Wikimedia LGBT+

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
(Redirected from Talk:Wikimedia LGBT+/Portal)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wikimedia LGBT outreach logo.svg
Wikimedia LGBT+


Wikimedia Summit 2019[edit]

RZ Logo Wikimedia-Summit black.png

We're ahead of schedule here, but we should start discussing Wikimedia Summit 2019. You'll notice the name of the Wikimedia Conference has changed, as has the scope. According to a recent mailing list message posted by Daniela Gentner & Cornelius Kibelka of WMDE:

"The next conference will focus on the Movement Strategy process and movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general. The program will be designed according to the status and needs of the ongoing Movement Strategy process and its working groups. We are hoping to see a diverse group of participants next year, and look forward to creating three days of working, discussing, and thinking together... Thus, to make it clearer that learning and capacity-building will not be part of the program and cut laces to the previous conference, we will change the name to “Wikimedia Summit” (#wmsummit). The change of the purpose of the event is accompanied by a change in the composition of the audience. The event will be a more focused one, and therefore we aim to scale down the audience to around 200 participants. As it is this still the Wikimedia affiliates conference, every eligible affiliate can send one (1) delegate."

By the way, the next conference will take place in Berlin, during March 29–31, 2019. Registration for the Wikimedia Summit will open on November 2 and end on December 17, 2018. You can read eligibility information here: Wikimedia Summit 2019/Eligibility Criteria. Perhaps we should start, as we do each year, by giving people a space to express interest in attending on behalf of this user group. If you are interested, you can make your case below.

Thanks! -Another Believer (talk) 20:22, 25 September 2018 (UTC)

So, following an announcement about the Summit, I took another look at Wikimedia Summit 2019/Eligibility Criteria and saw this group is currently not eligible to attend due to late reporting. I updated the Reports page, posted a note on the Reports talk page, and also posted a note at Talk:Wikimedia Summit 2019/Eligibility Criteria. If any LGBT+ User Group members care to weigh in here, on any of these discussions, or add to any of the reports, please do so ASAP. Thank you. Another Believer (talk) 19:48, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
@FULBERT: Bringing this to your attention, just in case. -Another Believer (talk) 19:53, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for this Another Believer. I am surprised our reporting was not done as we have a couple representatives who I thought handle that reporting. This is also the first time I heard our late reporting affects our ability to send somebody to the event in 2019. Didn't AffCom reach out to our reps who we have listed here? That was something that I raised with them when I met with them last year, and thought the reporting and communication was resolved. Interested in what others think about this, though I would eagerly volunteer to attend as our representative again if we can have one and if that would be agreeable to the members of our community. FULBERT (talk) 20:02, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
@FULBERT: Sure, hopefully I've done enough to put us in good standing, but I'm trying to see who can confirm or let us know if we need to put together something more formal. -Another Believer (talk) 20:06, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for this Another Believer; let us know when and how they reply. Hopefully it will be in a timely way so we can resolve this question. --- FULBERT (talk) 12:52, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
@FULBERT: No reply thus far. Perhaps you could also ping on the reports talk page, or even send an email? I've been told User:DNdubane (WMF) is the correct person to contact. If we can't get this resolved, we will have no representation at the conference, and registration is already open. -Another Believer (talk) 18:19, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
This does seem odd. Let me look into this and send a couple emails Another Believer and commit to getting clarification by the end of this week. ---FULBERT (talk) 19:03, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
Update: I believe we're now in good standing. -Another Believer (talk) 01:23, 15 November 2018 (UTC)
I sent a couple emails at the beginning of this week about this and the organizers committed to looking into this. Will follow-up with the replies off Wiki to confirm and circle back Another Believer. --- (No idea why I was not logged in, but this was from me) FULBERT (talk) 13:34, 15 November 2018 (UTC)
I sent another follow-up to the Wikimedia Summit organizers and they just replied that we are now current and can register to send a representative for the 2019 Summit. Thanks for your efforts with our annual report Another Believer. --- FULBERT (talk) 12:21, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
Wonderful, glad we're in order. -Another Believer (talk) 14:47, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Hi. I would love to volunteer and represent the group in the summit. Actually, this will be a great opportunity for me to meet more of the UG. Also, this will give me the space to present the output of the editathon about LGBT in Arab countries I am organizing next march simultaneously to the Queer Film Festival in Tunis, Tunisia. I use the opportunity to invite you to endorse my grant proposal for this event.--Houssem Abida (talk) 19:56, 4 November 2018 (UTC)

@Houssem Abida: thanks for expressing interest. To be clear (re: "this will be a great opportunity for me to meet more of the UG"), we're selecting one delegate to represent this group, so while you may meet a few supporters of this group's efforts, this is not a meeting for WMLGBT+. As a side note, please keep us informed about your editathon and other efforts! -Another Believer (talk) 21:35, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
@Another Believer: totally agree with you. I meant that meeting the community is an extra reason that motivates me to go to the Summit.--Houssem Abida (talk) 21:05, 5 November 2018 (UTC)

Call for nominations[edit]

(feel free to post this text anywhere appropriate)

This message is a call for candidates who would represent Wikimedia LGBT+ at the Wikimedia Summit in Berlin in 29–31 March 2019. See details on the summit at

Anyone who could serve this role please sign your name to

The Wikimedia Summit, formerly called the Wikimedia Conference, is an international gathering of Wikimedia community group representatives who convene to develop the community recommendations for Wikimedia Movement strategy. In addition to discussing global strategy there is some opportunity at this event for representatives to negotiate collaborations with other Wikimedia affiliates.

Anyone who is interested in standing as a candidate should state their interest on Meta-Wiki in the Wikimedia LGBT+ talk page section seeking statements of interest. The deadline for nominations is 31 November 2018. By 7 December 2018 Wikimedia LGBT+ members will have made a selection of the representative. That person should register immediately thereafter.

The ideal candidate has the following characteristics:

  1. Past engagement with LGBT+ themed content in Wikimedia projects
  2. Past experience with any sort of Wikimedia community organization, which is the focus of the Wikimedia Summit
  3. Past participation in Wikimedia LGBT+
  4. Makes a commitment to take and publish notes of their experience at the summit within 30 days of the summit's end

Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:12, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Please note, we are at the end of our nomination period for , so a final call for anybody who wishes to be considered for being our user group representative. Additionally, it has been reported that the time needed for a visa is a factor in this, so if anybody who is running needs one to travel to the Summit in Germany, that may be a consideration given recent guidelines from the organizers. --- FULBERT (talk) 19:29, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
I was honored to be one of our user group representatives last year, and want to share that I will be attending the Wiki Summit as well, related to my work on the Capacity Building working group. As a result, I will look forward to meeting an hopefully working with our user group representative there to help our representation. --- FULBERT (talk) 19:29, 1 December 2018 (UTC)

Candidates[edit]

Nomination closed! Blue Rasberry (talk) 03:28, 2 December 2018 (UTC)

Candidate selection[edit]

@Another Believer: Do you accept FULBERT's nomination? @Houssem Abida and Shikeishu: All three of you: we have to make a decision about who goes. To start the conversation, I propose that you all have a discussion by email to talk among yourselves and try to make a decision. Here is an email I just sent to each of you. Please discuss this by email then report back to this board!

We now need to select one of you as a representative. I am emailing you to propose that you three have a brief conversation by email to decide among yourselves who should be the representative to this event this year. Please do not spend more than 30 minutes or 2-3 short emails on your discussion among yourselves, and report back to me or Meta-wiki if your discussion gets complicate or longer than that. Try to finish your conversation by Friday 7 December. If you need assistance with a decision or finish sooner then say so.

To start the conversation, I propose that you all have a discussion by email to talk among yourselves and try to make a decision.

Here are some things to consider:

  • To what extent can you commit to write a report like the ones from 2018, 2017 etc?
  • Beyond the long main LGBT+ report, to what extent can you take notes from any additional group, like another field, a region, or anything outside of LGBT+, but also bring an LGBT+ perspective to that other community?
  • To what extent can you commit to message some LGBT+ community projects anywhere in Wikimedia and ask them what concerns or issues they want raised in this conference?
  • To what extent can you commit to post on this Wikimedia LGBT+ board, the mailing list, with the twitter account, etc in 2019 and beyond?
  • One addition element you may want to consider for this @Another Believer, Houssem Abida, and Shikeishu: - the Summit will include presentations and discussions about the global Movement Strategy as well, so we may also want to consider, "To what extent can you commit to raising issues related to LGBT+ diversity, equity, and inclusion across the working groups who will present to highlight the ongoing needs for visibility and global struggle related to our community?" --- FULBERT (talk) 15:42, 4 December 2018 (UTC)

There is no expectation of a great labor commitment for the representative at this conference. However, we all come into contact with LGBT+ projects and other editors, and we do have a great resource in this group for collecting and reporting LGBT+ themed successes and projects, and also it helps to maintain this board as a support forum for anyone who has a concern to express.

Please attempt to talk among yourselves first and try to find the right person to attend. It might happen that by exchanging a few sentences by email you can decide. Please no one write any long email at this point, and please only talk among yourselves. If you are unable to come to consensus, then any individual can post to meta, and I will arrange a third-party review and decision.

Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 03:28, 2 December 2018 (UTC)

And thanks to Blue for suggesting this easy way of doing the selection. Hopefully those that go will have lots of interesting discussions, plenty of fun and nudge up the user group visibility. It may also be a chance to talk to other user groups and gain some ideas of whether WM-LGBT+ is due for a rethink about the benefits of other ways of organizing ourselves... beyond the current deliberate adhocracy. Face-smile.svg -- (talk) 22:38, 5 December 2018 (UTC)

I accept and appreciate FULBERT's nomination. However, I've removed myself from consideration in the email discussion because (as much as I'd love to go again) I've attended twice and would like to see others represent the group as well. I believe a decision has been made, but I will let the selected nominee confirm here when they are ready. I thank both User:Houssem Abida and User:Shikeishu for expressing interest and wanting to share about their LGBT-related work within the Wikimedia movement. I'm confident either would be able to represent us well. More to come!, and please, continue to share your hopes for the person who will be representing us at the event. Thanks! -Another Believer (talk) 22:51, 6 December 2018 (UTC)

Thanks for letting us know about this progress Another Believer. We will look forward to hearing from Houssem Abida and Shikeishu today on the outcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 16:08, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
Hi everyone! The three of us had a discussion via mail and decided that I would go to the conference. I'm looking forward to representing our group, especially to bring in a LGBT+ perspective on the movement strategy and I'll of course make sure to update the rest of the group about the outcomes. Please contact me or bring up in the group discussion here any points you'd want me to look into for the conference. I've never attended a Wikimedia Conference/Summit before, so this will be exciting! Looking forward! :) --Shikeishu (talk) 22:29, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
@Shikeishu: Thanks. Can you please register at Wikimedia Summit 2019/Registration Information then post here when you have done your registration? Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 23:17, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
Thanks Shikeishu for agreeing to represent the LGBT+ User Group at the 2019 Summit. Thanks Houssem Abida and Another Believer for your engagement in this process. --- FULBERT (talk) 14:52, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
As the Summit is coming up in only a couple weeks Shikeishu, I want to bring to your attention the concerning issue of last week's Wikipedia Signpost Humour article which raised many issues related to the LGBT+ Community, use of pronouns, and charged comments on many sides. While it is not clear to what extent this issue and its implications may be addressed or resolved, it is something to be aware of and it may be useful to plan an LGBT+ Meetup at the event, as that can be a powerful opportunity to connect, share, and network. Additionally, I will also be at the Summit with the Capacity Building Working Group, and as such am happy to chat with you before the event if you want an overview of what to expect. Past conferences there have been intense, and with the new format and its main focus this year, a bit of background may be interesting. --- FULBERT (talk) 16:31, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for pointing towards the article and the discussion around it! I definitely agree that we should have a Meetup and I'll set that up. Great to hear you'll be at the Summit as well and I'd be happy to meet up! I'll get an introduction to the Summit from the organisers, but I'd be grateful to get input from you as well. --Shikeishu (talk) 16:29, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
Looking forward to seeing your summary of your experience and representing our User Group at the WM Summit Shikeishu. Very glad to be able to see you there and attend the meetup you led! --- FULBERT (talk) 18:22, 6 April 2019 (UTC)

Meetup[edit]

Hey everyone! The page for the meetup of our user group at the Wikimedia Summit is now online: Wikimedia Summit 2019/Thematic, regional, language-specific meetups/LGBT+ Meetup. Please feel free to join the meeting, if you're at the summit, and add agenda points to the meetup. Also if you're not in Berlin, but have points for the agenda or for the complete summit that I could bring in, please feel free to reach out to me! :) --Shikeishu (talk) 10:35, 11 March 2019 (UTC)

I am reviewing the notes from the Meetup at the Wikimedia Conference last year as we prepare for a MeetUp at the Wikimedia Summit in 2 weeks (anybody else here planning to attend beyond Shikeishu and me?) and saw in our notes that it would be great if we can have stickers or buttons. Has anybody ever had Wikimedia LGBT+ stickers made or anything of the like? We do not really have anything to give out, and while I am not a big fan of swag, it seems others may be, so we thought it may be something to consider. Thoughts? --- FULBERT (talk) 15:32, 17 March 2019 (UTC)

Report[edit]

Hey! Finally I finished the report from the Summit. Feel free to read it here: Wikimedia LGBT+/Wikimedia Summit 2019. Come back to me, if you have any questions. :) --Shikeishu (talk) 17:48, 22 May 2019 (UTC)

Wonderful, thank you. -Another Believer (talk) 18:39, 22 May 2019 (UTC)

Update on the Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process[edit]

Hi all,

The Election Facilitators met on Friday, April 5. We finalized the resolution, which is now frozen. The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation will be asked to approve the resolution.

We have made two small changes to be more inclusive. We extended the date for compliance with AffCom reporting and being in good standing to May 7 to allow time for as many Affiliates as possible to be current with these requirements. The Election Facilitators adjusted the language in case a quorum is not met during the election.

On the talk page of the resolution one issue was raised. The issue looks like to be about a possible candidate. Affiliates will have ample time to discuss the merits of candidates during nomination time, screening time, and they can cast their votes on candidates. The Election Facilitators didn't see the necessity for this change, and left the resolution on this point unchanged.

The Election Facilitators will be Abhinav Srivastava, Lane Rasberry, Jeffrey Keefer, Ad Huikeshoven, Neal McBurnett and Alessandro Marchetti. We will welcome more volunteers to assist us in this process, to reach out to the diversity in language and gender in our communities, and do so in an advisory role.

The nomination period opens on April 15. We are going to prepare nomination pages on Meta. You can expect a call for nominations. There is a draft call, including a candidates' profile section with non-binding guidelines about experience and characteristics for nominees. You are welcome to add your insights, or discuss on the talk page.

Erica Litrenta (WMF staff) supports us in this process. She will reach out to all affiliates through mail and other channels to make sure we are up to date with (user)name and contact details of your primary contact.

On behalf of the Election Facilitators, Ad Huikeshoven 10:52, 6 April 2019 (UTC)

As one of the Election Facilitators in the ASBS process this year, I will recuse myself from discussing nominees or anything specific with our user group's voting in this election.
However, as a member of this user group, I do want to ensure that we have these discussions.
To this point, I request that those who are our user group representatives to AffComm begin the discussion about how this will happen and how our user group membership will discuss this. Our User Group representatives should have already received emails about this process and notice about an informal Telegram group where User Group representatives are gathering to discuss how this may be done, as this will be a new experience for all of us. Thank you. --- FULBERT (talk) 13:18, 6 April 2019 (UTC)
I am pinging the three reps who are listed as being our contacts with AffCom about this -- Hexatekin, Another Believer, and -- as the nomination process begins tomorrow, which one of the 3 of you is the one who will be actually voting on our behalf, and what thoughts do you have for engaging with our LGBT+ User Group on this? --- FULBERT (talk) 23:36, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
@FULBERT: I've received an email about this, but I admit, I've fallen a bit behind about the process and expectations. I'll try to get caught up, but in the meantime I definitely welcome others to share their thoughts. -Another Believer (talk) 04:16, 15 April 2019 (UTC)
@FULBERT: As we are an adhocracy, it may be a good idea to ensure some WM-LGBT+ channels are discussing the vote so that at least 'several' people can chip in with suggestions; I know you have started that, good stuff. Anyone can ask the candidates questions on Meta, and we should strongly recommend doing that in our normal channels (at least email, this page and telegram). If the schedule conflicts with AB's holidays or similar, I would be happy to do the vote thing, influenced by feedback, though regardless of who votes, I'll probably be asking the candidates a tricky LGBT+ related question which might vary depending on who runs. ;-)
P.s. bit of a tangent, but the candidate guidelines say that someone convicted of 'serious crimes' can not run, I have no idea how serious or not-serious crimes are defined, maybe yourself or Ad can link to a WMF Legal explanation. -- (talk) 11:18, 15 April 2019 (UTC)
@: We discussed this. "Serious crimes" is a matter for the wiki community or the board to decide informally and not typically a legal issue. One bar which we agreed on is a history of embezzling from nonprofits but other than that there is no guidance. Feel free to define the concept or raise the issue if you like. Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:58, 15 April 2019 (UTC)
It probably waives more of a flag for someone not used to American English, and in plain English seems a bit misleading. The equivalent would probably be more realistically expressed as the way charities phrase their good governance expectations for ethical behaviour. These expectations may be wildly different depending on what matters the board has to consider, for some boards any criminal records might exclude a candidate, for others it might actually be considered part of their appropriate diversity. The brief for the governance sub-committee (or whatever they call themselves) might be a useful thing to link to in the election materials. Keep in mind the resignation of one recent WMF board member, where the issue was not a criminal record, but ethical compliance with corporate governance which only came to light due to related court records and press coverage; a pithy way of mentioning that type of ethical background would be more useful than 'serious crimes' and less likely to sound like a popular TV series. -- (talk) 14:21, 15 April 2019 (UTC)
@: Yes, you get it, all of this is correct. Feel free to write this or whatever you like directly into the election rules. If you stay out of the board resolutions and go into documentation about the culture or expectations of this then you or anyone else can establish the expectations as you like. I could repeat this on the election talk page if you found it useful. Overall, I and others wish the wiki community would treat this as a more conventional wiki-style event where everyone participates, rather than a closed-door event because none of the facilitators wants to dictate the terms and details. I can commit to publishing a debrief after the election but cannot surface in advance the many hypotheticals that arise in the fast paced casual conversation we have had. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:32, 15 April 2019 (UTC)
I agree with all the comments Bluerasberry shared, and think that both asking questions along with either nominating or voting for candidates, with the engagement of the User Group, will be useful. Also, I am unclear -- which of you three Hexatekin, Another Believer, and are actually the first listed representative who will be casting the vote on behalf of our LGBT+ User Group? --- FULBERT (talk) 00:44, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
I received an email a few days ago confirming I would be casting the vote. But, as I mentioned above, I've not been following the 2019 board seats process. If I'm being totally honest, I'm not too concerned about the results either, so if someone else wants to take this on, that's one less thing on my plate. Otherwise, I'm totally willing to cast a vote on the group's behalf, but I'm not sure exactly how this is done or what statement I would be posting on our collective behalf. -Another Believer (talk) 00:47, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
There is a new and somewhat active Telegram group that was started to connect the various User Group Affiliate leads Another Believer. That may be a good community to join, as there are many there who are grappling with the same How and What questions you are raising. Let me know if you need an invite to it. --- FULBERT (talk) 02:09, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
@FULBERT: Thanks, but I have no idea what Telegram and I really don't have the capacity to follow yet another wiki-related channel. Between all the wikis, mailing lists, emails, social media, etc, I can't take on more platforms. If someone else needs to lead this process, I'm not opposed. -Another Believer (talk) 16:21, 16 April 2019 (UTC)

┌─────────────────────────────────┘
Confirmation by User:Elitre (WMF) still needed, but I've emailed to transfer voting power to Rachel. Thanks for offering to help here. -Another Believer (talk) 17:34, 22 April 2019 (UTC)

Thanks all. --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 06:29, 23 April 2019 (UTC)

Wiki Loves Pride 2019[edit]

I just saw that Wiki Loves Pride 2019 information and tracking appear to be available. I just requested that the dates be extended to a longer period, such as all of 2019. Please list events and tag and upload as possible! --- FULBERT (talk) 23:12, 14 April 2019 (UTC)

Wiki Loves Pride 2019 runs during the month of June. Be sure to add any new or improved LGBT-related articles to the results page.

Happy editing! -Another Believer (talk) 21:29, 5 June 2019 (UTC)

LGBT+ User Group Meeting (April, 2019)[edit]

A number of us discussed, while at the Wikimedia Summit a couple weeks ago, how valuable it is to talk in real-time as members of a User Group. As this tends to happen only at the WM Summit and Wikimania, this seems to be an opportunity that has overall been available only for those who are able to travel to those events. As some of the other User Groups I am a member of have started to meet monthly or every two months via webinar (for video to see we are real people, or only for the audio portion of it as desired), let's be bold and try this and see how it works.

I will provide Zoom for a webinar (so no costs), and if you are interested in trying this, follow the Doodle Poll link here and let's see if we can find a time in the next week or so. All in our User Group and Allies are welcome.

Pinging Another Believer, , Bluerasberry, Shikeishu, and Kawayashu as an FYI as you have all posted on this page recently.

Agenda ideas are also welcome! ---FULBERT (talk) 01:13, 16 April 2019 (UTC)

Working Agenda items:
  • Introductions
  • LGBTQ+ Wikipedia Summit Report
  • Increasing LGBTQ+ Wikipedia Engagement
  • Intersectionality
  • What do you find valuable in the group?
  • What would you like to see?
  • What are the next steps we can do?

RachelWex (talk) 01:28, 16 April 2019 (UTC)

Great first pass on them RachelWex. I added some formatting and added a couple as well. --- FULBERT (talk) 01:33, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
The date and time of the April 2019 Meetup will be Monday, April 22, at 11:00am EST per the majority of the Doodle poll. As I noted there, we will use the first opportunity the majority can attend after the weekend, which some celebrate as a holiday. This will also allow for a little more time to finish drafting and vetting an agenda (already in process, above). A new page was created for this, and I invite us to continue having this discussion there.

Sorry I was unable to attend. Re: Affiliate-selected Board seats process, I've emailed Rachel and a WMF community relations specialist to transfer voting ability. I'm hoping this has been resolved, and thanks to Rachel for offering to help. -Another Believer (talk) 17:28, 22 April 2019 (UTC)

I also want to thank RachelWex for volunteering for this role, yet I do not believe it has been settled yet as the Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Eligible entities page with the official listings still has a no representative listed. Can you Another Believer please work with User:Elitre_(WMF) for clarification, given the deadline for nominations is this week and voting will begin shortly thereafter? Thank you. --- FULBERT (talk) 20:48, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
I'm not sure how the Meta pages are being updated, but the rep change has been confirmed via email. -Another Believer (talk) 20:52, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
Will ping User:Elitre_(WMF) to ensure this gets updated. Thanks Another Believer. --- FULBERT (talk) 20:58, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
Page will get updated later today... --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 07:16, 29 April 2019 (UTC)

LGBT+ User Group Meeting (May, 2019)[edit]

Here is a Doodle poll to schedule a day and time for our May, 2019 live, online LGBT+ User Group meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/3bt3yti2e96iy9cw

This poll will close on Friday, April 26, at 9:00am EST.

Information from our last meeting may be found here. I hope you may be able to join us. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 16:57, 22 April 2019 (UTC)

I am happy to share the the May LGBT+ User Group meeting (real time, online) will be Monday, May 13, at 1:00pm EDT / 7:00pm CEST, via Zoom. Please share this with everybody who may be interested and sign up if you believe you can make it. All are welcome!
I updated the agenda for the live, online meeting next week on 13 May. Please add to the agenda and share any input for this. All are welcome! --- FULBERT (talk) 16:51, 7 May 2019 (UTC)
We revised the time for the meeting to be one hour later at 2:00pm EDT / 8:00pm CEST. Hope this means even more can join it now on May 13. Here is a link to the agenda and Zoom information. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 12:49, 12 May 2019 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBT+ Endorsement of 2019 Affiliate Selected Board Candidates[edit]

Hello everyone--a candidate for the 2019 WMF Affiliate Board requested Wikimedia LGBT+'s support--here is his page: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/Nominations/Gerald_Shields

BTW--only two candidates are currently running--here is the other one: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/Nominations/Reda_Kerbouche

Not sure if you all want to discuss here on this page, or somewhere else? Let me know. RachelWex (talk) 17:02, 24 April 2019 (UTC)

Update, more candidate pages have been posted at Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Nominations. -Another Believer (talk) 21:29, 27 April 2019 (UTC)

Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: your representative[edit]

Nuvola apps important.png

Hello. The name of the only person who will vote on behalf of this group to select the next two Board members is now at m:Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Eligible entities. Please contact me directly as soon as possible if you need any kind of corrections there. There's only a few hours left to endorse candidates, and only the official voter can do that. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you can make a difference with the necessary translations.

Appreciate your attention and your support so far! Thank you! Elitre (WMF) and Facilitators of ASBS 2019, 12:15, 29 April 2019 (UTC)

All good here. -Another Believer (talk) 17:58, 29 April 2019 (UTC)

Does anyone have any opinion on who to endorse? I have some but I want to hear from Wikimedia LGBT+ first. Here is the list of candidates: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/Nominations. I am a little miffed that the candidates have from May 1 - May 7 to answer questions but we only have until the end of today to endorse people? How do we make an educated decision? Anyway--please share thoughts--thanks! RachelWex (talk) 21:55, 30 April 2019 (UTC)

It's still possible to endorse certain candidates on their talk page if you so desire :-) Philip Kopetzky (talk) 14:33, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
11 out of 12 candidates received at least 2 nominations, including our "favorites"...so right now I just want to focus on discussion about voting. Monday May 13, 12 pm CST FULBERT (talk) will facilitate a Wikimedia LGBT+ Zoom meeting where candidates and voting will be on the agenda...more information about the Zoom meeting here: Monday, May 13, at 1:00pm EDT / 7:00pm CEST, via Zoom

Also, this is the list of candidates once again: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/Nominations Keep watching this page for candidate responses to questions--candidates have from May 1 - May 7 to respond: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/Questions RachelWex (talk) 16:41, 1 May 2019 (UTC)


Thanks[edit]

Greetings Wikimedia LGBT+,

My name is Gerald Shields, also known as user:Geraldshields11. I am asking for your top rank vote for me in the election for one of two open trustee positions on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.

I am asking for your vote to help support emerging communities and promote an inclusive education environment on all wiki projects. Also, I plan to promote various other issues as I mention in my statement and answers to various questions. I ask that you show your support for the issues that need to be address by voting for me as one of your preferences.

My candidacy information page is Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Nominations/Gerald Shields on Meta or can be found at Gerald Shields candidate. I have responded to the “Questions for all candidates - Questions for this individual candidate that do not apply to other candidates”. My answers give more details on why your affiliate should vote for me.

Thank you for your time, discussion, and consideration of my candidacy. I appreciate it.

My best regards,

Gerald Shields

Geraldshields11 (talk) 02:49, 8 May 2019 (UTC)

Thank you for your organization's vote during the 2019 trustee election. With your organization's, Igbo's, and AfroCrowd's votes, I was able to score better than expected. Geraldshields11 (talk) 20:55, 18 June 2019 (UTC)

Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: Voting Process[edit]

Hello Everyone,

RachelWex (talk) must place a vote on behalf of Wikimedia LGBT+ for a representative to serve on the Wikimedia Foundation Affiliate Board. Deadline to vote is May 31st.

This is the list of candidates: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/Nominations

These are their responses to questions provided by the Wikimedia community: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/Questions

Please email RachelWex (talk) privately at rswexelbaum@stcloudstate.edu with feedback, favorites, or rankings of the candidates. The Wikimedia LGBT+ thematic user group will discuss the feedback on the week of May 27, prior to voting.

If you can share this message with the LGBT+ groups in the different language Wikipedias, that would be excellent, as this is a global thematic user group and we seek input and feedback from ALL of our members.

Sincerely, RachelWex (talk)

Please note, the LGBT+ User Group will meet and vote in the ASBS election the week of May 27. The poll for selecting this day and time is here - https://doodle.com/poll/zbmiuax3ihe4yxsv --- FULBERT (talk) 19:27, 14 May 2019 (UTC)

LGBT+ User Group ASBS Election Discussion & Voting - May 29, 2019[edit]

The LGBT+ User Group ASBS Election Discussion & Voting meeting will be at 1:30pm EDT on Wednesday, May 29. This meeting will be an opportunity for our User Group to discuss the candidates for the Wikimedia Board of Trustees and determine our vote for them. Our votes will be cast by @RachelWex. The Zoom link for this is here. All User Group members are invited to attend to discuss and cast your vote. --- FULBERT (talk) 11:49, 20 May 2019 (UTC)

As a reminder to all members of the LGBT+ User Group, today at 1:30pm EDT @RachelWex will be online to discuss who we as a group should vote for in the ASBS Board Elections. All are welcome. The Zoom link for this is here --- FULBERT (talk) 13:03, 29 May 2019 (UTC)

LGBT+ User Group Meeting - June 13, 2019[edit]

Here is a Doodle poll to schedule a day and time for our June, 2019 live, online LGBT+ User Group meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/p8c3cbfdq4vry4yt This poll will close on Friday, May 17, at 12:00pm EDT. Information from our May 2019 meeting may be found here. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 19:31, 14 May 2019 (UTC)

The June Wikimedia LGBT+ User Group meeting will be on Thursday, June 13, at 10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CEST. Please add yourself to or follow the planning page. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 13:00, 21 May 2019 (UTC)

Our input to the Wikimedia Strategy[edit]

Hey everyone,

as a User Group, we can give feedback to the ongoing Strategy process, which will determine the direction that our movement will take until 2030. There are several working groups working a lot of different aspects of such a strategy. We can review what they have done so far, which they have summarized in their scoping documents, and give additional input from a LGBT+ perspective.

Some working groups and questions that could be especially interesting for us could be:

  • Diversity
    • Can we establish that every community must have a code of conduct which provides for inclusion of diversity? How does a commitment to diversity also manifest itself in the governance structures of our movement’s organizations, in our public relations, and social media representation?
    • How do we transform our culture and collaborating spaces, including (but not limited to) articles, general discussions, talk pages, and Commons to support diverse representation of contributors and writers, as well as our definitions of reliable sources and neutrality, to build a safe environment where everyone (minorities/unrepresented/underrepresented/mainstream groups and cultures) is included and can see their knowledge represented and talk openly about themselves?
  • Community Health
    • What are the social and technical challenges within the current administrative and decision-making systems that hinder the creation and maintenance of community health?
    • How can structures create, support and reinforce universally acceptable behavior across our communities?
  • Capacity Building
    • How do we make capacity building inclusive and equitable?

Please feel free to write to me or to comment here what you think about these or any other questions in the scoping documents, so I can forward our collective feedback to the appropriate working groups.

It is important for us to make our voices heard, so that we can develop into a movement that values LGBT+ content, contributors and target communities. Let me know if you have any questions. --Shikeishu (talk) 15:37, 29 May 2019 (UTC)

  • I support Wikimedia LGBT+ being involved with the Diversity and Community Health Groups. We have a Zoom meeting in June and I would like to put this discussion item on our agenda for what is currently being done in these groups and how we can be involved. RachelWex (talk) 17:13, 31 May 2019 (UTC)

LGBT+ User Group Meeting - July 8, 2019[edit]

Let's keep the momentum going with our user group meetings and select a day and time of the July online call via this Doodle poll. This poll will close on Friday, June 21, at 12:00pm EDT.

Information from our June 2019 meeting may be found here. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 14:28, 14 June 2019 (UTC)

The July 2019 LGBT+ User Group meeting will be on Monday, July 8, at 10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CEST. Please add agenda items and sign up here - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_LGBT_User_Group_July_2019. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 15:08, 23 June 2019 (UTC)

Pinging a few who may be interested Bluerasberry Pharos Freddy2001 Shikeishu Josiefraser LornaMCampbell Metrophil Ladsgroup Dungodung Bojan Cvetanović Kawayashu RachelWex Lastchapter Kaizenify Funcrunch Kristina_Millona --- FULBERT (talk) 15:21, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
Not sure I will be able to attend the meeting, but I hope the nasty responses to the Wiki Loves Pride campaign are addressed. I'd rather not discuss this on wiki but could do so on the mailing list if there's interest. Funcrunch (talk) 16:30, 23 June 2019 (UTC)
I'm used to this. Every year, on social media, on project talk pages, sometimes my email inbox... -Another Believer (talk) 20:16, 23 June 2019 (UTC)

Page deletions[edit]

@Simon04: Can you please share why you've nominated several of this project's pages for deletion? -Another Believer (talk) 01:11, 15 June 2019 (UTC)

@Another Believer: Hi! Sure: At the Wikipedia for Peace/Europride Vienna 2019, User:Josiefraser and me went through the pages on the Wikimedia LGBT+/Portal and identified several outdated/legacy/obsolete content. This makes the navigation to and the findability of the up-to-date and relevant content hard. I've given the rationale for the deletion of the individual pages on Special:Diff/19154284. Thanks! –Simon04 (talk) 08:27, 15 June 2019 (UTC)
I wonder if rather than delete these outdated pages, a better course of action will be to help make them current? --- FULBERT (talk) 17:29, 15 June 2019 (UTC)
I would for the moment prefer them being deleted as well, as long as no one one updates them. There was so much content from 2012 there, which was confusing and distracting new users from relevant content. We added the monthly meetup and newer projects now on several places in the remaining pages. --Shikeishu (talk) 07:27, 18 June 2019 (UTC)

The deletion log is at Meta:Requests_for_deletion#Wikimedia_LGBT+. I also am generally in favor of deletion for this content which is out of date. Like Fulbert, I wish we could update it but starting from basics and developing from there might be more reasonable. Some things need to be moved around. It is challenging to negotiate multi-page moves and deletions on Wikimedia projects but somehow we have to coordinate this. Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:16, 18 July 2019 (UTC)

Facebook links?[edit]

Are the Facebook links in the template at the top of the page supposed to be crossed out? -Another Believer (talk) 21:04, 18 June 2019 (UTC)

I crossed them out intentionally since (according to User:Josiefraser) nobody seems to have access to those accounts and the latest posting dates back to 2015 or similar. –Simon04 (talk) 21:16, 18 June 2019 (UTC)
Well, I have access (but I don't post regularly), and there are posts as recent as October 2018. -Another Believer (talk) 02:03, 19 June 2019 (UTC)
I fixed the Twitter username so it matches the actual account and renamed and removed the cross-out of the FB User Group. I am not sure who is the admin of the FB page (perhaps User:RachelWex?) as I could not locate it, so left that one crossed out. --- FULBERT (talk) 23:19, 22 June 2019 (UTC)
I'm able to post to the Facebook page, but I'm not sure who else has the same rights, or who is the lead "admin" if that's a thing. I was given access years ago, but don't post often. -Another Believer (talk) 20:18, 23 June 2019 (UTC)

Introducing Wikimedia Space: A platform for movement news and organizations[edit]

Hi Wikimedia LGBT+,
I’m writing to let you know that the Community Engagement department [1]at the Wikimedia Foundation is launching a new platform, Wikimedia Space. Here, you will find stories for and by contributors to the Wikimedia movement, and a space for discussions of different topics.

We know that finding information about Wikimedia activities and processes is very complicated, which makes the learning curve to enter our movement and be successful afterwards, really steep. By centralizing community stories and conversations in one shared space, we believe we are facilitating access and discoverability of topics across the movement, improving, in turn, connections among Wikimedians.

As an affiliated organization to the Wikimedia Foundation, we hope that you can share this platform with your local community, and we count on you to encourage them to add their voices. If you’d like to contribute stories, and overall, participate in the discussion section, please read our blogging guidelines and our code of conduct and join the conversation. Find more information about the project on its page on Meta.

Looking forward to seeing you at Wikimedia Space,
María Cruz, Communications and Outreach Manager, Wikimedia Foundation.
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:53, 25 June 2019 (UTC)

References

Wikimedia community needs you![edit]

Did you know that Wikimedia projects don't protect against LGBT discrimination or hate speech? It could however! I just worked with a few others to create a proposal for this, which could become enwiki policy and hopefully, later on, a rule community-wide.

The first step is mostly done – creating the proposal. What's needed is some positive, friendly, approachable messages – for the RfC, for spreading on WikiProjects and other venues, and a user-friendly FAQ for it. Then we just have to get the momentum moving toward implementation.

As well, any feedback you all could give would be immensely helpful at this stage!

This issue is important - as a starting base, this New York Times article shows why. Incidents like the Signpost Humor article controversy show the necessity for the policy, while Fram's WMF ban shows the necessity for transparent, community-developed processes rather than relying on WMF judgement.

If you have any questions or are happy to help, please email me!

Thank you! (talk) 15:03, 8 July 2019 (UTC) -- Hello (talk)! How would you like us to give feedback on the proposed policy? Do you want it on the Talk page, directly sent to you, or how? Let me know--thanks! RachelWex (talk) 15:47, 11 July 2019 (UTC)

Hi RachelWex - whichever method you'd prefer/feel is most appropriate. My thinking - if you have private/sensitive concerns obviously email or Skype is best, but any other ideas/comments are best on the proposal talk page. Thanks! (talk) 16:06, 11 July 2019 (UTC)

LGBT+ User Group Meeting - August 5, 2019[edit]

Want to attend the August LGBT+ live meeting? If so, please complete the Doodle poll so we can select days and times when you can make it - https://doodle.com/poll/k2xkwbvd9ynrdvqe
The poll closes on Friday, July 19, but the earlier you add your days and times, the better! --- FULBERT (talk) 12:57, 11 July 2019 (UTC)

The August LGBT+ User Group meeting will be on Monday, August 5, at 1:00pm EDT / 6:00pm BST. All members of our user group are welcome to attend and add agenda items. More information for this may be found on the Wikimedia LGBT User Group August 2019 page. As this will be the last live meeting before Wikimania (for those who may be able to attend that), please join us for ongoing planning and reporting out. --- FULBERT (talk) 22:30, 21 July 2019 (UTC)

Low-tech access[edit]

A few notes that might be a useful tip to point to for later conferences...

As we discovered in the Zoom meeting, though it may be possible to get working on old laptops, the system performance may degrade when processing a multi-party conference. Running from an 8 year old laptop with Ubuntu, using a fairly respectable i7 processor with plenty of memory, audio was not comprehensible for other parties on the call, and it gradually slowed down to be unusable. A couple of learning points:

  • Zoom allows you can have more than one "name" using the same account in the same conference. So if you get a mobile phone working using the free zoom App (Google Play), you can still have your old laptop logged in with audio and video switched off, just to view the text, or to write text comments.
  • If video is the big obstacle, or just not necessary, folks can dial in and audio conference using local numbers as listed at https://minnstate.zoom.us/zoomconference. This could be especially handy for someone with limited WiFi, or without a fairly modern smartphone.
  • An old laptop may still be workable, especially for one to one meetings, but it may be necessary to close down all background processes.
  • Zoom may be better optimized for Windows or Apple MacOS, it may be worth swapping operating systems if you have that option.

-- (talk) 16:42, 7 August 2019 (UTC)

[edit]

suggested logo

Hello, I replicated work of one my colleagues to build the new Wikimedia LGBT+ logo, the logo of user affiliates should be logo of the movement and not the logo of metawiki. What do you think of this logo? Amir (talk) 23:55, 21 July 2019 (UTC)

I like this mock-up and how it is more consistent with the look and feel of Wikimedia_movement_affiliatesother affiliates, though with a much more vibrant coloration. --- FULBERT (talk) 00:07, 22 July 2019 (UTC)
Support Support John Samuel 08:58, 23 July 2019 (UTC)
I think the colors need to go in the other direction? (Red to purple?) Also, we need to squeeze the trans colors, brown, and black stripes in there as well...RachelWex (talk) 16:29, 5 August 2019 (UTC)
I think while the bright colours are lovely it's unfortunately too distracting for some neurodiverse people. It 'flashes'. The old logo is more sedate but lets everyone look at other things on the same page. --Josiefraser (talk) 19:27, 5 August 2019 (UTC)
Thank you Amir for the logo. I personally prefer the current logo. I am not a big fan of the "flashing" colours.--Kawayashu (talk) 21:08, 5 August 2019 (UTC)
I will work on the colors. Amir (talk) 23:41, 5 August 2019 (UTC)

Hm. I do like that it fits better with the other logos and has a clearer wiki message but also agree with some of the concerns people raised: too colourful but at the same time also in need to include the other colours. THank you for taking time to do this though.--Jetam2 (talk) 21:16, 7 August 2019 (UTC)

@FULBERT, Jsamwrites, RachelWex, Josiefraser, and Kawayashu:: Do the new colors look good to you? I got it from the WMDE design. Amir (talk) 23:53, 5 August 2019 (UTC)

Support Support I like it! FULBERT (talk) 00:05, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
Support Support I prefer this one. And it looks more professional also. --Kawayashu (talk) 00:43, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
Oppose Oppose I don't like the gradient. It is hard to print (especially in B/W) and seperated rainbow colors could be identified without full color range. -- Freddy2001 talk 08:56, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
Neutral Neutral It is really nice logo but it will be hard to print (if you don't have a professional printer) and we need to think about back and white logo. WikiLester (talk) 09:08, 11 August 2019 (UTC)
For print and specially black and white, you can just use the plain Wikimedia logo + LGBT+ text but for online, I don't see any reason not to use gradient. 10:40, 12 August 2019 (UTC)
Support Support Until someone comes up with something better. Kaldari (talk) 09:11, 14 August 2019 (UTC)

A vote might be more useful if a few alternatives were being voted on as the most liked. Per Freddy2001, I would prefer blended colours to be avoided and more recognizably a Pride style rainbow, and though it is a design challenge, it would be great to ensure that the popular trans pride colours and black pride colours are integrated. Don't ask me how exactly, but it's a good design goal! -- (talk) 13:35, 10 August 2019 (UTC)

Wikimedia LGBT+ Conference[edit]

Hi everyone, Since last April, during the Education+conference, we started unformal discussions with some of the WMF stuff about the idea of organizing a dedicated conference focusing on LGBT+ topics and communities within the Wikimedia Movement. The conference's grant team is very supportive of the idea and is encouraging us to apply for a grant, as such event is alligned with the foundation's strategy for 2030.

Last month, and during Wikipedia For Peace editaton in Vienna, some of the User group members met and raised the idea again. Many of us are excited about it and willing to join the organizing team. Also, 2 affiliates have shown official support to host it: Wikimedia Austria and Wikimedia Serbia.

After some discussions with the 2 chapters, we ended up with Wikimedia Austria as the most suitable affiliate to co-host the first edition, as Wikimedia Serbia has a full agenda for 2020.

So at this stage of the brainstorming and research, we want to hear from all of you regarding these points:

  • What do you think of the conference's idea?
  • Do you see a need for it? And if yes, what is it?
  • How do you see the conference's structure?
  • What kind of content would you want to be showcased in it?
  • Will you consider joining whether in the OC or as a participant?
  • What will be the best time of the year to have it?

Also, this is a call to see if there are any other affiliates apart of Wikimedia Austria and Serbia who are interested in co-hosting it with us?

We basically have to alternatives for now: Either hosting in the first half of 2020, which means we have to apply for the grant by the 9th of September, or in the second half of the year, time when most of WikiLovePride local events will happen, but we'll have more time to work on the grant application.

Final point: This will be also discussed during the meet-up in Wikimania, if anyone is interested in joining.

Thank you so much everyone.

Love from Tunis.Kawayashu (talk) 21:00, 5 August 2019 (UTC)

This idea of a Wikimedia LGBT+ Conference has happened during the monthly User Group calls (such as the one in August), the LGBT Mailing List, and the LGBT Telegram Group. It was discussed at the August user group meeting that there was general agreement to this idea and we should bring it here to Meta for formal User Group feedback and discussion.
I personally think this a great idea, am willing to assist (i.e., what is the Problem that exists of our not having one and what Opportunities exist for us to gather together intentionally for this that would not happen otherwise?). If we can somehow arrange for some funding, I would attend. --- FULBERT (talk) 03:10, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for writing up the details.
Thinking a little strategically:
  • It makes life easier that due to grant deadlines we have one firm offer of a host on the table. This means we do not have to spend weeks or months having a form of "beauty contest" as the first stage of our process. Hurrah!
  • Given there is only a few weeks before grant application, it would make sense to immediately start drafting the application. There's nothing to beat "filling in the forms" to work out what we do not have, or if the deadlines and resourcing are realistic. If the event to be funded were pitched as a fairly limited and focused event with the expectation of holding workshops on immediate issues for the LGBT+ Wikimedia community and the WM-LGBT+ user group itself, that would help everyone understand why an event in a few months time is possible to arrange and could have some firm outcomes.
  • In terms of limiting the event, it would also make sense if the concept of this first conference were to aim for modest numbers of attendees (40 people?). We might suggest that Chapters and the WMF consider sending or supporting staff and volunteers who are currently active in LGBT+ related policies, events and content and can directly contribute to the limited specified outcomes, rather than in order to either have representation or to educate by attending. At the same time we can make it clear that one of the outcomes from this first event is to assemble the team to work on a wider and larger second conference, which can be designed to address the needs of a far larger group of stakeholders.
  • Based on the Zoom get together yesterday, outcomes that may be a priority are:
  1. Adding case history and substance to a central Wikimedia diversity policy, and proposing strategies for managing local consensus and necessary variation to local project needs, such as native language and local community identified diversity issues and issues raised by free speech.
  2. Developing our LGBT+ community communication and support strategies. We have several dedicated 'channels', but a limited community that manages and contributes to both on-project and off-project methods of community support.
  3. Developing the WM-LGBT+ user group. We remain an adhocracy, which has good and bad aspects. As a user group we are very unusual in deliberately being established in a way that does not list its members and aims to avoid a hierarchy with its associated natural politics, i.e. no board members, no money, no employees. Being an adhocracy does not mean that we cannot support, promote and find volunteers for specific managed and timely projects, and partner with organizations that have money and employees, but it is a challenging concept!
  4. Fostering partner relationships and projects with communities with common goals. We may wish to identify how well partner groups like Wikiproject Medicine and the Women in Red project already work with LGBT+ stakeholders, and how the LGBT+ community would like these relationships to deliver on joint expectations.
  5. Celebrating and logging our achievements. A conference is a key way of recognizing past LGBT+ projects, and for those behind those projects to help the rest of the community understand the challenges and learning points that come from them.
I'm happy to contribute with proposal reviews, and pending getting funding would be delighted to help out with the conference itself from logistics on the day to joining workshops or presentations. Looking at the proposed hosting in Linz, booking well in advance could keep costs for travel around 200 euros for me coming from London (unfortunately by flying, train looks exhausting). To estimate the overall costs for everyone will need our Linz hosts to think through some figures, and they might also be able to give a fair guesstimate of what travel expenses might look like depending on numbers of prospective attendees and their likely geographic spread, something that might be helped shape up if WM-LGBT+ asks everyone to put in brief personal expressions of interest on a sign up page. Later we can consider how much of that funding comes from a 'central' WMF grant, and how much will be covered by other affiliates, either way it should be roughly estimated. -- (talk) 13:16, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Seems like a good idea. There are some administrative barriers which would be easier to overcome with an in-person meeting. I recommend also having scheduled online meetings to include people who cannot travel to the site but who want to be part of this early discussion. Even a single one-hour online meetup during the event could bring in more insight. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:07, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
I think a zoom is going to be scheduled for those (like me) who won't attend Wikimania and want to join the UG'x meet-up. The conference's idea will be discussed during this meeting actually.--Kawayashu (talk) 19:32, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
Hi all - we (WMAT) were asked by some group members to give an official statement here, why we think Linz is an appropriate venue for the event and adress some practical issues, such as visa and travel. We are happy to do that, but please let me state first, that our "bid" was first and foremost an offer to help and support (similar to our support for the first ever Wikisource conference in 2015) - we have no problems at all with other groups or affiliates hosting the event, in case the group thinks it would be more suitable for what ever reason :-)
  • Accessability: Linz is easily accessible via train as it is in the heart of Europe and Austria has an exceptionally good train system. Linz also has its own airport. However, on medium and long-haul flights you reach Linz via plane to Vienna Airport and direct train connection: Trains are deporting every half hour from Vienna Airport. After about 1h and 40min you get off the train at the main station in Linz and are already in the city center, this is not much longer than the commute from the airport to the city in some big cities like NY or London. We suggest a venue directly next to the train stration, so traveling should be comfortable. Even if we decide to take a venue a bit further, the distances will be short.
  • Visa With enough time ahead, most visa shouldn't be a problem, if we don't plan enough time in advance tough it will be tricky. In 2015 we supported the first Wikisource Conference in Vienna and had a visa success rate of 100%. For the Hackathon in 2017, we had some issues with African countries which do not have an Austrian embassy, which makes it harder to intervene or have influence on the process. However, we believe that a "hacking" event raises more red flags for embassy staffers who don't really know what it means, than an inclusive event like a LGBT+ conference - so hopefully we will have it easier this time. In a nutshell: We can't guarantee visa for all - unfortunately, the situation in Europe has not improved in the last years - but we have enough experience from previous events to work through many challenges if necessary.
  • Safety and LGBT-friendliness: Austria is on 4th place in the worldwide lgbt-friendly ranking in 2019 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay-friendly
Hope that helps! --CDG (WMAT staff) (talk) 20:53, 6 August 2019 (UTC)
Dear Claudia and WMAT. Thank you for this offer. In my humble opinion, Linz is a good option. In addition to the good transport you can also think in terms of geographic diversity. Not everything should happen in the capital city.--Jetam2 (talk) 21:22, 7 August 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for this offer CDG (WMAT staff). This seems like an exciting opportunity, and I hope there will be more discussion about it both here and at Wikimania later this week. --- FULBERT (talk) 02:26, 13 August 2019 (UTC)

Updates[edit]

So after a meet up during Wikimania, present members approved the choice of Linz in Austria as a venue for the conference. We are working now on the grant proposal to apply by the 9th of September. We are aiming to get a grant that can bring around 40-50 participants for 3 days.

For now, we need to agree on an approximative date for the conference (at least the month). So any suggestions?--Kawayashu (talk) 12:11, 17 August 2019 (UTC)

LGBT+ User Group Meeting - September[edit]

Want to attend the September LGBT+ live online meeting? If so, please complete the Doodle poll so we can select days and times when you can make it - https://doodle.com/poll/abaf4m2yd4ubaamk This poll will close on Wednesday, August 21, at 12:00pm noon EDT. --- FULBERT (talk) 02:24, 13 August 2019 (UTC)