The AfroCine Project/Months of African Cinema/2020
The Months of African Cinema is an annual writing contest which invites Wikimedians to contribute content about African cinema, theatre and arts to Wikimedia projects (specifically Wikipedia and Wikidata). Articles to be created include: African films, film industries, filmmakers, actors, stage performers, and so on. The term "African" in the context of this contest, include people of African descent from all over the world, which include the diaspora and the Caribbean.
This contest is a two-months long event, which would happen from 1st October 2020 to 30th November 2020.
The project will be run at the continental level. However, national organizers may choose to host local trainings, workshops, prizes etc. If you intend to host specific events or lead local activities around this contest in your country, please list your chapter, your user group, or your name and country below. The AfroCine Project team would be in contact, and if you would need funding to run your activities, we would be available for guidance on your rapid grant request from the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Wikimedia Community User Group Côte d'Ivoire - Contact person: User:Kahoutoure
- Wikimedia Tanzania – Contact person:Jadnapac
- Wikimédiens du Bénin User Group – Contact person:Fawaz.tairou
- UG Wikimédia Guinée – Contact person:Aboubacarkhoraa
- Wikimedia México - Contact person: Claudia Muñoz (WMMX)
- Wikimedia User Group Nigeria -Contact person: Haylad
- Wikimedia South Africa - Contact person: Bobbyshabangu (talk) 21:55, 30 August 2020 (UTC)
- Wikimedia Community of Arusha, Tanzania -Contact person: Ebenezer Mlay
- Kenya - Contact Person: User:Ms Kabintie
- Sidheeq (talk) 13:47, 14 September 2020 (UTC) (Kerala, India (ml.wikipedia)
If you are a member of a non-English language Wikipedia and you would love to organize this contest in your local language, please list your username and your Wikipedia language in this section. As a baseline, you should be willing to setup/translate your local landing page, run communications on your local language Wikipedia/community and recruit few users from your Wikipedia to join the contest's jury.
- eswiki - Contact person: Claudia Muñoz (WMMX)
- Ml.Wiki - Contact person: User:Sidheeq
- itwiki - Contact person: Camelia (WikiDonne)
If you would love to participate in the jury process of the contest, please list your username here:
Other Ways to Join Contest Organization
We welcome everyone to join this contest, whether you are African or not. Here are various ways you can help us in organizing this contest:
- Let other people know about the contest. Forward our communications to your local Wikimedia community platforms (mailing lists, WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook, etc). Also follow our social media platforms and share our posts on the accounts to your friends. We are on:
- Follow, monitor and help to fix errors on our landing pages on meta and/or Wikipedia. You can also help with translating our landing pages.
- Help us to translate the Site Notice into those languages (as well as other relevant texts).
- Offer useful advice on how we can get best results from the contest.
- Join our Facebook group and Telegram group to join in on our discussions, and also discover new ways to help!