|Current||Past||Notes||To do||References||→Africa Portal|
What I am interested in
I focus on remote areas or areas which are perceived as remote, such as Esino Lario, Africa and Ticino.
- Africa. I contribute to increase the quality and quantity of African content on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects since 2006. Scientific director of WikiAfrica from 2007 and founding member of Wiki in Africa.
- Esino Lario. I lead Wikimania Esino Lario in 2016 and TEDxEsinoLario in 2018 with some talks in dialect, and I am interested in general in developing experimental projects in Esino Lario and in the Alps (we just included a session on Wikimania in the museum). I am the coordinator of the Ecomuseum delle Grigne. Wikimania 2022/Scholarships/Wikimania Festival in Esino Lario, w:it:Wikipedia:Raduni/Wikimania 2022 Esino Lario. Museo delle Grigne, Museo delle Grigne/Data management plan
- Ticino and the Alps. I am working on bringing Ticino to Wikipedia Prova il tasto modifica in Ticino, linking culture (including WP) and territories (WikiTerritories), Wikimedia-related activities in Switzerland
- Schools. I am interested in bridging schools with Wikipedia Wikipedia Primary School, development in South Africa and in Italy Wikipedia e scuola italiana + Wikisource e scuola italiana, Wikisource in latino - Fonti latine per la scuola italiana, Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom Italy
- Heritage. I am very committed to make accessible the Italian cultural heritage on the Wikimedia projects. Il patrimonio culturale italiano su Wikipedia, i progetti Wikimedia e OpenStreetMap, Heritage, programma 2020. Museo Egizio Data Management Plan, Storia di Wiki Loves Monuments in Italia, Barometro della conoscenza libera in Italia, Repubblica di San Marino e Città del Vaticano, L'esperienza di Wiki Loves Monuments. Le sfide per il libero accesso e riuso della conoscenza sul patrimonio culturale italiano 2021, Empowering Italian GLAMs (Grants talk:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Empowering Italian GLAMs), bibliografia GLAMs
- Wikipedia and cultural tourism. Article on Wikipedia and cultural tourism
- Research. I am interested in connecting the Wikimedia projects to research. Progetti di ricerca europei correlati a Wikimedia.
- Interviews and history of the Wikimedia projects. Racconti di Wikipedia, Wikimedia e OpenStreetMap in Italia
- Open science. Project Open Science for Arts, Design and Music
I am a member of Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH. Member of the Wikimania Committee as a representative of Wikimania 2016 and chair for 2017-2019. Member of itWikiCon 2020 (ItWikiCon/2020/Proposte/Invitare, ItWikiCon/2020/Poster/Wikipedia e la scuola italiana).
- Climate Change Visualizations, 2022. In preparation
Open Science and GLAMs: Open Science for Arts, Design and Music. Open Science, GLAMs and Citizen Science (i.e. the Wikimedia projects and OpenStreetMap).
Installation and exhibition about Wikipedia:
- Materializing Wikipedia. Wikipedia. The Utopia of a Global, Collaborative and Balanced Knowledge. See also Exhibitions, Wikimedia documents initiative. History of Wikipedia in Italy.
Get the background knowledge on Wikipedia and move on:
- Culture and Safety in Africa (2011-2014), applied research project to document and assess the impact of public art on urban safety in Douala, Luanda and Johannesburg. The project is releasing all its background documentation under cc by-sa and it contributes to the Wikimedia projects. The project is not evaluated according to the contributions produced on the Wikimedia projects.
Research data available for Wikipedia, the Wikimedia projects and OpenStreetMap
- Open Science SUPSI - I am preparing the guidelines and implementing pilot projects.
- CHEERS (2018-2022), Cultural HEritagE. Risks and Securing activities. An Alpine Space project about cultural heritage and natural risk management. I am contributing in increasing links between the research and the Wikimedia projects/OpenStreetMap.
- SEADDA (2019), Saving European Archaeological from the Digital Dark Age.
- Wikipedia Primary School and specifically with the university Research:Wikipedia Primary School SSAJRP programme (2014-2017).
Triggering synergies with GLAMs and Heritage.
- GLAM/Repository and GLAM/References
- Teaching at University Heritage Management user:iopensa/Wikipedia and Cultural Tourism
Wikimedia-related activities in Switzerland
In projects and research projects I have been commissions and producing information design used within the projects to evaluate them (as-is analysis, monitoring and evaluating impact), to report and to produce tools capable of interpreting data and allow changes. Visual information was produced by DensityDesign Research Lab Politecnico di Milano (a research laboratory contributing to WikiAfrica and Share Your Knowledge) and at SUPSI by Giovanni Profeta and Marco Lurati.
- Climate Change Visualizations, 2022.
- Wikipedia e scuola italiana, 2020-2021. A series of visualizations to analyse and monitor articles related to the Italian school. The visualizations has been used to organise quality festivals on Wikipedia to trigger the improvement of the articles. In 2020 the visualisations produced an overview of content. In 2021 the visualizations were available online, highlighting what changed between 2020 and 2021. Principal investigator Iolanda Pensa (volunteer, project promoted by Wikimedia Italia), visualizations by Giovanni Profeta.
- Visualisations produced during the Workshop Wikidata SUPSI, 2017. A series of visualizations to monitor and understand knowledge gaps based on Wikidata. Project lead Iolanda Pensa in collaboration with Serena Cangiano, visualizations by Marco Lurati and Giovanni Profeta.
- GLAM visual tool, 2017. A visual tool to monitor the engagement and impact of galleries, libraries, archives and museums (GLAMs) cooperating with Wikipedia, the Wikimedia projects and open licenses. Principal investigator Iolanda Pensa, visualizations by Giovanni Profeta. Supported by Wikimedia CH.
- Visualizations produced to monitor, evaluate the project Wikipedia Primary School, 2014-2017. A series of visualizations to monitor the quality of content related to primary school is available on Wikipedia and the impact of the project Wikipedia Primary School in improving this content. Principal investigator Iolanda Pensa, visualizations by Giovanni Profeta.
- DensityDesign Research Lab for Share Your Knowledge, 2012. A series of visualization made to understand the impact of the project Share Your Knowledge in supporting the cooperation between galleries, libraries, archives and museums (GLAMs) with Wikipedia, the Wikimedia projects and open licenses. Project lead Iolanda Pensa (affiliated by Moleskine Foundation, previously lettera27 Foundation).
And I love designing and producing communication campaigns!
I support the WikiJournal and I appreciate to stay Under the hood of a cozy online conference :)