- Well, thanks, but I´m already for five years a Wikipedian... ;) Chaddy 15:40, 8 August 2009 (UTC)
Wikimedia Travel Guide: Naming poll open
You are receiving this message because you voiced your opinion at the Request for Comment on the Wikimedia Travel Guide.
The proposed naming poll opened a few days ago and you can vote for as many of the proposed names as you wish, if you are eligible. Please see Travel Guide/Naming Process for full details on voting eligibility and how the final name will be selected. Voting will last for 14 days, and will terminate on 16 October at 06:59:59 UTC.
Superprotect letter update
Along with more hundreds of others, you recently signed Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer, which I wrote.
Today, we have 562 signatures here on Meta, and another 61 on change.org, for a total of 623 signatures. Volunteers have fully translated it into 16 languages, and begun other translations. This far exceeds my most optimistic hopes about how many might sign the letter -- I would have been pleased to gain 200 siguatures -- but new signatures continue to come.
I believe this is a significant moment for Wikimedia and Wikipedia. Very rarely have I seen large numbers of people from multiple language and project communities speak with a unified voice. As I understand it, we are unified in a desire for the Wikimedia Foundation to respect -- in actions, in addition to words -- the will of the community who has built the Wikimedia projects for the benefit of all humanity. I strongly believe it is possible to innovate and improve our software tools, together with the Wikimedia Foundation. But substantial changes are necessary in order for us to work together smoothly and productively. I believe this letter identifies important actions that will strongly support those changes.
Have you been discussing these issues in your local community? If so, I think we would all appreciate an update (on the letter's talk page) about how those discussions have gone, and what people are saying. If not, please be bold and start a discussoin on your Village Pump, or in any other venue your project uses -- and then leave a summary of what kind of response you get on the letter's talk page.
Finally, what do you think is the right time, and the right way, to deliver this letter? We could set a date, or establish a threshold of signatures. I have some ideas, but am open to suggestions.
Dear Chaddy, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.
- Request for comment: Requests for comment/Superprotect rights
- An open letter about its implementation: Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer
Peteforsyth 09:09, 12 September 2014 (UTC)
Thank you for your translation help!
|The Translation Barnstar|
|Thank you very much for your help translating the 2016 Strategy Consultation pages! I am so grateful for the energy you and others have put into helping the consultation reach speakers of as many languages as possible. Kbrown (WMF) (talk) 17:22, 2 February 2016 (UTC)|
- Well, I can understand that you feel upset and been treated unfairly, because you at least moved the discussion to the forum. And in this way you tried to help after DannyH closed and archived the Wishlist Survey entry.
- Therefore sorry that you earn much of the displeasure.
- But your text "I'm a little fed up with this. It has been explained time and time again, that this (community wishlist) is NOT the place for your grievances. As people seem to be unable to determine where to go and to insist on doing this at meta.wp.org, I have moved it to a location that seems more appropriate to me" alongside with DannyHs closing/archiving and MusikAnimals mass comments deletion gives the impression that Wikimedia again ignores the community and does what it wants instead of cooperating with the community and take it´s needs seriously. Chaddy (talk) 21:00, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
- Chaddy, maybe there is a misunderstanding on your side. As TheDJ points out, though in a not very pleasant way, he's a volunteer just as we authors are, so he's not acting or speaking for Wikimedia. Like you, Chaddy, I'm part of the "content community", so to speak, meaning that I don't usually deal with technical matters or programming issues. Like you and others of the German-language community who recently voiced their surprise and irritation because of a suddenly missing special characters bar, I tend to only get involved in technical discussions if something disrupts my usual workflow, reporting "hey, you broke something! fix it!". I suspect that many non-technical minded users who are mainly Wikipedia authors don't really know how MediaWiki software development works and that there are also volunteers involved there, that it's not coming from some perceived bureaucratic, distant WMF employees who don't know "the community". We need to realize that we're part of a larger community and we all need each other. The "technical community" invests a lot of their time into the goal of a smoothly running MediaWiki software. The current incident shows that there is a need to improve communication on all sides. Gestumblindi (talk) 21:32, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
- Ok, I really did not realize that TheDJ is not a regular Wikimedia dev but just a community member who voluntarily helps programming. So @TheDJ, I am sorry that my comment in the forum adressed the wrong person.
- Since yesterday the mood is overheating generally. I admit that me too was reacting a bit too emotionally in this case. That is not how it should be of course, but maybe it us understandable in the background of the comments mass deletion and the closing/archiving of the wishlist entry.
- And sure you are right that we all need each other (see also for this point). Chaddy (talk) 21:42, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
einladung zu einem gespräch bei WikiDienstag.ch
hallo chaddy. magst mal an einem dienstag in ein gespräch kommen. (thema: entwicklung movement, oral history etc.) freie termine an dienstagen: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Dienstag/Feedlogs (falls du kein video machenwillst, kannst du auch kamera abstellen. dann wird es podcast ;-) würde mich sehr freuen. thema könnte auch sein,w wie du meinen text in der NZZ eingeordnet hast: dissent.is/nzz-wikipedia Sms2sms (talk) 07:00, 7 October 2020 (UTC)