WALRUS/April 2019

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

WALRUS is a monthly online meeting for Wikimedia community organizers in the United States to discuss and collaborate on events and outreach of national interest.

Join the pan-USA Wikimedia local activists' chat on Monday April 8 2019 at 6:00 PM Pacific / 9:00 PM Eastern.

Zoom videoconference information[edit]

Getting set up with Zoom[edit]

How to join the meeting[edit]

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Chromebook or Android:


One tap mobile

+16468769923,,585772309# US (New York)
+16699006833,,585772309# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 585 772 309 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/agcOMmoE4

Chair & secretary for this month[edit]

  • Meeting host for Zoom: Pharos
  • Meeting chair: TBD
  • Meeting secretary for minutes: TBD



  • This is a rolling set of notes for meetings of WALRUS, which are Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States. See more information about this coalition and meetings at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_United_States_Coalition
  • Anyone attending a WALRUS meeting may add notes here. These notes are for ease of use, and after the meeting, transfer them to Meta-Wiki for archiving and ease of access in a Wikimedia project. Prior to December 2018 every meeting had separate notes. From December 2018, all notes go here in this one notepad, with one consistent link, which anyone can reuse for every meeting.
  • Monday Apr 8, 2019
  • Pharos -- NYC events -- hosts call -- went to Berlin conference, aka Wikimedia conference
  • Rosie -- reports on Berlin conference -- busy with Art+Fem and Women's history month
  • Andrew Lih -- is joining Met museum in NYC as Wikimedia Strategist, went to Berlin conference
  • Kelly Doyle -- WMDC worked with the Smithsonian -- went to Wikimedia conference in Berlin
  • Kevin Li -- South Bay Area, Calif
  • Kevin Payravi (SuperHamster) -- in Dallas, working on Ohio organization. Two Spanish+Portguese edit-a-thons at Ohio State this month
  • Pine W -- Washington state
  • Buaidh -- Colorado events -- at least one of which was with Art+Fem ; Coloradans found out about it late but it went well
  • Meg Black
  • Peter Meyer -- attended EMWCon, the Enterprise Wikimedia conference, oriented toward use in organizations; will visit Agnes Scott College in Decatur GA next week
  • Maria Rimmel -- reports from Ohio -- went to Berlin conference
  • Igelauff -- returning to "land of the living"?
  • Peaceray -- Cascadia -- went to Berlin conference
  • Jackie Koerner -- working to launch Wikimedians in Missouri user group
  • Kasey Baker from North Carolina Wikipedians -- name's changed from Triangle Wikipedians ; they had a WWII/Holocaust survivors editing event ; event at Salem College ; they had an event for Wikipedia's birthday with 50+ people
  • Contact from Mary Anne (?) in Tennessee where they had several events
  • Rapid grants for April (can submit up to Apr 15)
  • Art + Feminism editathons
  • Wikimedia Summit 2019 - how Berlin meeting went
  • Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019 - all chapters and usergroups have a vote (abbreviated ASBF)
  • Elections schedule is tight, get to know it. -- that is ASBF candidacies must be ready soon ; Each user group agrees within itself who to vote for
  • There is a Telegram group for Wiki User Group Affiliates to discuss things
  • There was one track, not many, and nine working groups
  • Future uses of CentralNotice subnational and state-based campaigns
  • Strategy: Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Participate
  • outreach:GLAM/Newsletter/March 2019/Contents/USA report - add your local events
  • Wikiconference North America 2019
  • Planned for Boston in Oct or Nov in collaboration with other groups -- probably Fri-Sat-Sun
  • Theme: Reliability -- partnered with Credibility Coalition (https://www.credcon.org/), organization working on information credibility, funded by AP, Google News, etc.
    • Kevin, SJ, Josh Lim and others established connection after attending CredCon '18
  • Looking for volunteers to help program and stage the conference, please contact a WCNA organizer to get involved (Andrew, Rosie, Kevin Payravi, Richard, Kelly Doyle)
  • Looking to get Internet Archive involved
  • Likely to have a Culture Crawl to see the town ; Wiki Edu might have their annual gathering there
  • A coordinated wiki-train-trip from NYC to Boston is possible
  • possibly could have more training: what's of interest? education? glam?
  • Wikidata update(s)
  • Wiki Loves Pride in June -- campaign to incorporate LGBT-related content and participants
  • EU blackout - Article 13 -> Article 17 link tax impact on usage of sources
  • Next call: Monday May 13
  • Pharos asks for new people to host/organize the calls and that we write to one another on the mailing list