WikiClassics User Group
This User Group is a proposal for becoming a Wikimedia User Group
WikiClassics User Group (WCUG) is a group of users who focus their activities on classical culture, firstly (but not only) ancient Greece and ancient Rome, on Wikimedia projects.
The WikiClassics UG acts as a multi-faceted project whose main target is to improve the quality and the amount of information about classical antiquity on Wikimedia platforms.
Due to the fact that most of its topics are in facts related to sources, artworks and cultural heritage that is nowadays intrinsically scattered among various cultures and countries, a simple project might not be enough and a transnational perspective is needed, with special long-term focus also on social activities in real life.
The main activities of WikiClassics include:
- increasing cooperation between wikimedia platforms and offering support to less developed language communities;
- discussing about the quality of current articles (Wikipedias), texts (Wikisources), files (Commons) and data (Wikidata), with focus on critical areas;
- looking for reliable and up-to-date sources, also in collaboration with The Wikipedia Library;
- supporting open-access bibliometry platforms in the field and creation fo articles of relevant researchers;
- supporting the correct use of Latin and Greek in multilingual namespaces, such as structured commons and wikidata;
- improving the literacy abouth OpenStreetMap for archeological sites;
- improving connectivity aspects realted to categorization, orphan articles, disambiguation pages;
- supporting diffusion of analytical tools on WikiProjects;
- rationalizing guidelines and know-how about copyright of ancient artifacts;
- rationalizing mass messages about its topics and interested user lists;
- creating events and meetings to raise awareness and to involve more scholars;
- coordinating social media channels;
- supporting GLAM activities related to classical culture with a pool of multilingual users in order to maximize their impact;
- coordinating with local chapters and other thematical user groups.
To do lists
Lists of tasks to do (transaltions, creations) in various projects
- Translations from English Wikipedia
For any information add a new section on the discussion page, or subscribe to the mailing list (TBC)
Contacts declared to WMF
|User||Languages||Main projects & official roles||Interests & Experiences|
|Epìdosis||it-N, en-3, fr-2, de-1||Italian Wikipedia, Wikidata||Ancient literature and history, main focuses are biographies of ancient Greek authors, ancient Greek literary works, events of ancient Greek history|
|Alexmar983||it-N, en-4, fr-4, de-3, es-3, nl-2, eo-2||Italian and English Wikipedia, Wikidata, Commons, Italian Wikisource ...||I am mostly interested in cross-wiki coordination, the role of Wikisource, Structured Data, cultural heritage on Wikidata (and Wiki Loves Monuments) and scientific research in archaeology|
|Camelia.boban||ro-N, it-5, en-2, fr-1||Italian and Romanian Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata, Wikiquote, Wikibooks||interested in many things, I created WikiDonne project in Italian Wikipedia, Portale Femminismo and Italian Wikibooks and co-founded WikiDonne User Group.|
|FocalPoint||el-N, en-5, fr-4, it-2||el-wikipedia, el-wiktionary, wikidata, commons, el-wikisource||Interested in completing and connecting info in all Wikimedia projects|
|Ilbuonme||it-N, en-5, de-1|
|Christelle Molinié||fr-N, en-1||French Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata||Mostly interested in the documentation of museum's archeological collections on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata and the opening of professional practices to collaborative resources.|
|Tursclan||it-N, en-4, fr-3, de-2, es-1, pt-1|
|SurdusVII||it-5, en-N, es-3, fr-3, de-1|
|Marcus Cyron||de-N, en-2, ru-1||German Wikipedia, Commons (Admin), Wikidata; OTRS agent; WMDE board member||History (Project Roman Consuls) & Archaeology, main focusses are pottery (Project CVA Germany/Project Kerameikos/Ceramics project), museums, history & reception of classics, biographies of classicists and archaeologists (Project decased classicists/Project living classicists/Project Travel Grants DAI) & ancient artists, artisans, craftsmans (My Opus magnum: Ancient potters and vase painters)|
Former "Wikipedian in Residence" at the German Archaeological Institute; Kulturbotschafter ("Wikimedia culture ambassador"); Co-Organizer of Conferences "Wikipedia trifft Altertum" ("Wikipedia meets the ancient world", 2011) and "Wikidata trifft Archäologie" ("Wikidata meets archaeology", 2013); Wikimedia contact for Deutsches Archäologisches Institut, Antikensammlung Berlin, Antikenmuseum der Universität Heidelberg, Antikensammlung Erlangen, Antikensammlung der Universität Göttingen, Münzkabinett Berlin, Museum August Kestner, Alamannenmuseum Ellwangen, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ur- und Frühgeschichte, Museums and the Internet
|Romulanus||es-N||Spanish Wikipedia||Ancient Rome, Late Republic and Early Empire mainly.|
|Gts-tg||el-N, en-5, fr-3, ru-3, is-3, it-2||Greek Wikipedia, Ancient Greek incubator, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata||Interested in language and writing overall; classical tradition; Hellenistic states. I can contribute with article writing, research, and software development + DBPedia based datasets.
Some wiki activity:
|Geraki||el-N, en-3||Greek Wikipedia, Greek Wikisource, Commons, Wikidata||Wiki Loves Monuments, data for monuments and mythology in Wikidata, texts in Wikisource|
|Sp!ros||el-N, en-5, it-5, fr-2||Wikidata, Greek Wikipedia, Italian Wikipedia, English Wikipedia, Commons, Wikicite||Interested in ontologies, vocabularies, monuments, and museums|
|DerHexer||de-N, en-3, grc-3, la-3, es-1||Administrator on Meta, Commons, German and English Wikipedia; Steward; OTRS agent; WMDE employee||Greek language, literature, history, mythology, philosophy, natural science; Latin language literature + Roman history; Ancient archaeology; lexicography, palaeography, and codicology;; de:WP:Redaktion Altertum, de:Wikipedia:Wikipedia trifft Altertum, formerly de:Portal:Latein|
|Ijon||he-N, en-5, grc-3, la-3, fr-1, de-1, uk-1, yi-1,arc-1||Hebrew Wikipedia, Wikidata, Commons||Ancient Greek literature, history|
|Sir Henry||fr-N, en-4, de-2||French wikipedia||Late Roman Empire/early Byzantine Empire, but with a general interest in the whole time span since ancient Greece|
|Eunostos||fr-N, en-3, grc-3, lat-3, es-1||French wikipedia, Commons, French Wikiquote||Greek mythology, ancient Greece and Rome, mythological studies|
|T8616||fr-N, en-4||English Wikipedia, Commons||Mostly Roman Republic (prosopography), and numismatics.|
|Rena||pt-N, en-5, fr-2, es-2, de-1, el-2, la-2||Portuguese Wikipedia, Commons||Greek, Rome and Byzantine Empire in general (and all themes rellated to them like Islamic, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, German, Celtic, Iberian History, etc.)|
|Taketa||NL-N, en-4||Dutch Wikipedia|
|4nn1l2||fa-N, en-3, ar-1||Persian Wikipedia, Commons||Ancient Greek history and philosophy, Roman history|
|DerMaxdorfer||de-N, en-3, fr-2, la-2, grc-1||German Wikipedia, Commons||Escpecially ancient Roman history, epigraphy and prosopography|
|DarwIn||pt-n, en-4, es-3, fr-2, gl-2||Portuguese Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata||Mostly Ancient Roman history related to Portugal, Spain and the Magreb|
|Prof.Lippold||pt-n, en-3, es-3, fr-2, it-2||Portuguese Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons||Mostly Ancient Roman history related to Portugal, Spain and the Magreb...||...||...||...|
The group was created a spin off of the Sapere Aude grant, when the need for a cross platform coordination emerged during local activities. The activity was originally cross-platform and the UG was created to expand the need for users coordination among different languages.
Steps & reminders
- 2018-12-12: Official preliminary request for affiliation;
- 2019-02-06: first informal presence at IberoCoop (thanks to WikiDonne), looking for international contacts
- 2019-03-03: Logo contest in talk page ends. Logo declared.
- 2019-03-05: twitter account created.
- 2019-03-09: Facebook group created.
- 2019-03-18: Final proposal of complete logo.
- 2019-03-28: second informal presence at WikiSummit2019 (thanks to WikiDonne), looking for more international contacts
- 2019-0x-xx: TBD Main page is stable, request for translation
- 2018-05-14: Activity on Wikisource with the AICC, Pontedera;
- 2018-12: Participation at Romanian Centenary edit-a-thon of the anniversary of modern Romania;
- 2019-02-19: Meeting and support at the AIB event in Pontedera (Pisa) about the cataloging of the cultural heritage sites on Wikidata in Tuscany. The group will provide support for archeological sites.
- 2019-03-14/15: Informal participation at Convegno Stelline (for Italian librarians).
- 2019-04-xx: Activity at Liceo Classico Galileo Galilei in Pisa
- 1° half of 2019: first Writing Week, theme "Ancient Greek"
- 2° half of 2019: second Writing Week, theme "Ancient Rome"