ವಿಕಿಮೀಡಿಯ ಮುಖ್ಯಾಂಶಗಳು, ಅಕ್ಟೋಬರ್ 2012
ವಿಕಿಮೀಡಿಯಾ ಫೌಂಡೇಶನ್ ಮುಖ್ಯಾಂಶಗಳು
ಮೊಬೈಲ್ ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ ಮರುವಿನ್ಯಾಸಲಾಗಿದೆ
The mobile gateway to Wikipedia was updated with several features that had earlier been tested on the mobile beta site. The new navigation system aims to make mobile features and settings easier to discover. In the coming months, the mobile team will work on adding possibilities to contribute on mobile devices. In the previous month, the Wiki Loves Monuments app had already introduced a mobile photo upload function, as the first such possibility. For readers, the new design offers fonts that make the content easier to read.
First in-person meeting of the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
The nine members of the new volunteer-run Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) met for the first time in October, preparing their recommendations about funding requests by 12 organizations (11 Wikimedia chapters and the Foundation) from a pool of more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations. In this new model, the funding requests have to be submitted in public, enabling a community review period that lasted until October 22.
The staff which supports the FDC scored each request according to a criteria list:
- ಸಂಭಾವ್ಯ ಪ್ರಭಾವದಿಂದಾಗಿ ಅಂದಾಜುಗಳು,
- ಯೋಜಿತ ಚಟುವಟಿಕೆಗಳನ್ನು ಕಾರ್ಯಗತಗೊಳಿಸಲು ಸಂಸ್ಥೆಯ ಸಾಮರ್ಥ್ಯ,
- ಅವರ ನಿರೀಕ್ಷಿತ ಆರ್ಥಿಕ ಸಾಮರ್ಥ್ಯ,
- ಉದ್ದೇಶಿತ ಯಶಸ್ಸು ಕ್ರಮಗಳ ಗುಣಮಟ್ಟ
- ವಿಕಿಮೀಡಿಯ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮದ ಸಂಭವನೀಯ ಲಾಭ.
The Signpost (the English Wikipedia's weekly community newspaper) has published an overview of these scores and of the requested sums.
The Board of Trustees will announce its decision about the FDC's recommendations in December.
Wikipedia Zero now available to 230 million people after Saudi Arabia launch; has already grown Wikipedia readership in Africa and Asia
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ ಝೀರೋ, ದತ್ತಾಂಶಗಳ ಶುಲ್ಕವಿಲ್ಲದೆ ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯವನ್ನು ಮೊಬೈಲ್ ಇಂಟರ್ನೆಟ್ ಬಳಕೆದಾರರಿಗೆ ನೀಡುವ ಕಾರ್ಯಕ್ರಮ added Saudi Telecom Company (STC) ಸೌದಿ ಟೆಲಿಕಾಂ ಕಂಪನಿಯನ್ನು ತನ್ನ ಪಾಲುದಾರನನ್ನಾಗಿ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಂಡಿತು.ಪ್ರಪಂಚದಾದ್ಯಂತ ಆರಂಭದ ಅರ್ಧ ವರ್ಷದ ನಂತರ ಸೌದಿ ಅರೇಬಿಯಾ, ಬಹರೇನ್ ಮತ್ತು ಕುವೈಟ್ ದೇಶಗಳಲ್ಲಿಯ ಸೌದಿ ಟೆಲಿಕಾಂಮ್ ಕಂಪನಿಯ ೨೫ ಮಿಲಿಯಂನ್ ಚಂದಾದಾರರು , ಒಟ್ಟಿನಲ್ಲಿ 31 ದೇಶಗಳಲ್ಲಿ 230 ಮಿಲಿಯನ್ ಮೊಬೈಲ್ ಬಳಕೆದಾರರು ಇದನ್ನು ಬಳಸಬಹುದಾಗಿದೆ.
A preliminary evaluation of its effect on readership is promising: Wikipedia pageviews from Orange Niger customers grew by 77% and those from Orange Kenya customers grew by 88% in a four-month period including the launch in these countries. In Malaysia, unique visitors to Wikipedia from local operator Digi jumped by 42% after it joined Wikipedia Zero.
Data and Trends
Global unique visitors for September:
- 474.9 million (+4.08% compared with August; +4.47% compared with the previous year)
- (comScore data for all Wikimedia Foundation projects; comScore will release October data later in November)
Page requests for October:
- 19.8 billion (+3.4% compared with September; +15.8% compared with the previous year)
- (Server log data, all Wikimedia Foundation projects including mobile access)
Active Registered Editors for September 2012 (>= 5 mainspace edits/month, excluding bots):
Report Card (integrating various statistical data and trends about WMF projects) for September 2012:
(Financial information is only available for September 2012 at the time of this report.)
All financial information presented is for the Month-To-Date and Year-To-Date September 30, 2012.
|Global Development Group||$1,353,447|
|Legal/Community Advocacy/Communications Group||$581,916|
- Revenue for the month of September is $2.36MM vs plan of $2.44MM, approximately $81K or 3% under plan.
- Year-to-date revenue is $4.11MM vs plan of $4.36MM, approximately $245K or 6% under plan.
- Expenses for the month of September is $2.20MM vs plan of $2.77MM, approximately $577K or 21% under plan, primarily due to lower personnel expenses, internet hosting expenses, travel expenses, capital expenses, grants and awards, and outside contract services partially offset by higher expenses for the annual all-hands meeting.
- Year-to-date expenses is $7.40MM vs plan of $8.68MM, approximately $1.3MM or 15% under plan, primarily due to personnel expenses, internet hosting, travel expenses, capital expenses, legal expenses, grants and awards, and outside contract services.
- Cash position is $22.0MM as of September 30, 2012 which is approximately 6.29 months of expenses.
Other movement highlights
Audio and video from open access scientific publications imported to Commons
The Open Access Media Importer Bot was approved on Wikimedia Commons at the end of October. It searches publication databases (such as PubMed Central) for audio and video files that accompany scholarly papers as supplementary material, and uploads them to Wikimedia Commons if they are available under suitable free licenses. It has already imported more than 9000 files.
200 GLAM professionals at German conference
An international conference titled "Shaping Access! – More responsibility for cultural heritage" took place in Berlin on October 23 and 24, co-organized by the German Wikimedia chapter with five other organizations. More than 200 representatives of cultural institutions (GLAMs) discussed ways of making cultural heritage more accessible, among them Wikipedia and Wiki Loves Monuments.
Ada Lovelace Day
In mid-October, the fourth annual Ada Lovelace Day was celebrated to honor the contributions of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, remembering computer pioneer Ada Lovelace (1815–1852). Wikimedians participated with several events, including editathons at the British Royal Society and at Harvard University that focused on improving Wikipedia coverage of women in science, and a party hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wikidata.org goes online
Wikidata reached a milestone on October 30 when its wiki at wikidata.org went live, as the first new Wikimedia Foundation project since 2006. Wikidata will be a central repository of structured data for Wikimedia projects. The software is being developed by the German chapter. The project consists of three phases. In the first phase, which has now begun, the interlanguage links that are connecting articles about the same topic in different language projects are being collected on Wikidata. The Hungarian Wikipedia will be the first project to make use of these centrally stored interwiki links.