This online meetup is open to all members of the LGBT+ User Group, and is intended as an opportunity to discuss shared opportunities, challenges, and issues.
- Date: Tuesday, November 19, at 11:00am EST / 4:00pm GMT (see timezone calendar here).
- Live Online Location: Zoom (link is here). Please download and install the Zoom player on a computer or mobile device for the best experience. Contact FULBERT if you prefer to be emailed an actual calendar invite.
Please help us take rolling notes - Wikimedia LGBT etherpad (that will be transferred to wiki (below) after every meeting)
The Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy will be followed for this meeting.
Please add any agenda items and who will lead the discussion
- Welcome, Introductions, and Agenda Review (FULBERT)
- Minutes will be taken here - Wikimedia LGBT etherpad
- Wikimedia LGBT+ Conference
- Grants:Conference/Kawayashu/Queering Wikipedia
- possible to invite guest: Samaritans (Q7408851)
- This organization reached out to WMF; WMF is offering to support their engagement with wiki community
- their offer: 2-hour presentation
- topic: discussing crisis in media, and peer-to-peer crisis support
- objective: mutual exchange - they offer crisis support, they want Wikipedia as an educational partner in media
- Question: if they joined, and if they presented, they have a version of presentation with direct and possibly disturbing suicide data, and a version for general public. Which would be a better fit for us?
- How does Wikimedia LGBT+ feel about having an elevated expert partnership with this organization?
- User Group compliance reporting update and compliance (FULBERT)
- Social media team for Wikimedia LGBT+ update (RachelWex)
- Wiki LGBT+ Social Media Policy (draft)
- New logo for Wikimedia LGBT+ (Amir)
- LGBT+ Wikimedian at large - available here (Josie)
Planning to attend
- FULBERT (talk) 20:23, 29 October 2019 (UTC)
Ɱ (talk) 14:12, 30 October 2019 (UTC)Will be at work
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 21:42, 4 November 2019 (UTC)
- Sorry all...under the weather and can't make it...RachelWex (RachelWex)
- Thsmi002 (talk) 04:44, 10 November 2019 (UTC)
- Kaizenify (talk)
- Fæ (talk)
- . .
- Lane (taking notes)
- I have been editing Wikipedia for a few years. I mostly participate in the Women in Red project but I also edit biographies based on other underrepresented groups, including LGBT+ people.
- For Queeting Wikipedia conference, what will scholarship process be?
Fae: regarding the LGBT+ conference, Fae is examing the scholarship award process.
- Fae advocates for publishing the scholarship call sooner to invite community comment and review.
- This is the first time presenting a conference so the organizers may be unfamiliar with the many issues which arise in Wikipedia scholarships. For example, how does the wiki community feel about individuals who receive scholarships also tying a vacation to it? Some attendees who need the travel funding cannot make a choice to pay for their own tourism with their conference attendance, and some would like to do this. The Wikimedia community has a culture of precedent around this and we for our conference would do well to point to the Wikimedia Foundation's infrasturture rather than handling this or other issues on our own.
- We have not developed policy on privacy
- the scholarship team knows everyone's name, might have their passport numbers, etc
- ideally, the Wiki LGBT+ organizations should avoid handling sensitive data and instead
- Wikimedia Austria as host
- they are handling visa letters
- they are booking flights for scholarship recipients, or working with WMF travel coordinators
- Draft program
- Jeffrey presented the draft program
- the program planning document describes what sort of proposals we will invite
- while Wikipedia is in the name of the project, this conference actually invites all Wikimedia contributions
- Thursday 21 November 2019 meeting to prepare for the conference
- 4pm EST meeting in Zoom
- Credibility Coalition? This organization was at WikiConference North America and expressed an interest in ongoing Wikipedia partnership
- Fae proposed having a videographer at Queering Wikipedia to get oral history from who attends, why they care about LGBT+ on wiki, etc
- need to arrange for video at this event
- desire to get video at all kinds of events, such as Wiki World AIDS Day events, but it is challenging to leverage these kinds of things
- annual report
- Jeffrey has drafted reports based on what other orgs did
- two reports needed - this year's and last years
- what to add
- Wiki Loves Pride 2019 photo contest
- World AIDS Day, add to both 2018 and 2019
- TJ and Fae shared LGBT+ stem
- seeking approval
- pinged AffCom - no response yet
- when we get an approval, then we should get an invitation to the Wikimedia Summit
- question - how does the review process work?
- it has changed year to year
- right now, we have a red X and not a green check
- unclear about who has authority to make green checks
- Richard recommends asking Dumi, our contact with Affiliations committee
- Jeffrey said that he has emailed Dumi and AffCom, no reply
- Richard says to change X to check
- Fae said that AffCom is overburdened with administration and that after informing them and making submission, we change it also
- After annual report accepted, we should solicit for volunteers to the Wikimedia Summit
- Lane has done this in the past, will do again in the same way this year
- (Rachel absent to present social media team, passed)
- (Community Wikimedian position - Josie asbent, passed)
- perhaps no updates in public channels since Wikimania 2019
- no changes on the public document since 8 September 2019
- Scoping the position
- still unclear of focus - no lack of things to do, but one person cannot do everything
- "trust and safety liaison"
- documentation and reporting
- program management
- central communications
- Wiki Loves Pride 2019
- seeking jurors
- need to select best images
- Jeffrey: Richard, can you put this into the annual report?
Links to previous monthly meetings
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group October 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group September 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group August 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group July 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group June 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group May 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group April 2019