Grants:Project/Rapid/Chinmayee Mishra/Odia Wikisource's 3rd anniversary
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Providing advanced training for existing editors, to acquire new skills and learn new tools.
- Proofread Wikisource pages.
- Collaborating with local authors and publication houses to release their work under a free license.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We're planning for a one-day training program for existing community, providing advanced training on; how to use OCRs, proofread and use other tools of Wikisource.
After the last event, two new digitisation projects have started in the community, over 250 books have been digitized under Project Pothi and Parija Library project. It's a time to analyze the work and share the learnings with other community members. We are also keeping a training session to improve outreach skills from the case studies by the community leaders.
The training session will also focus on these activities:
- How to approach an individual or publication house to release their content under a free license.
- How to clean a digitised book. (Editing the pages)
- What is OTRS? How to get OTRS ticket after uploading the books on Commons?
- Introduction to OCR4Wikisource.
- Image cropping through CSS
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- The community members have been informed about this event in the village pump of both Odia Wikipedia and Odia Wikisource, around x number of volunteers have supported the event and has shown their interest in participating in the event. The event was also discussed with the local community members during the WikiTungi meet up in the month of September. The event was also shared in the Odia Wikimedia mailing list and we will also promote it in various social media channels.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, The community has many editors having experience in organizing such events and also there are many volunteers those have participated in various National and international conferences. We will involve them in organising this event.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Earlier this year, the community celebrated the second anniversary of the Odia Wikisource. This event will be a follow-up event of the last event, and almost all of the participants are aware of the project and have particular skills to get involved.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Almost all of the active editors are well connected with the community through various social media channels, and this time we're mainly focusing over existing Wikimedians rather than new volunteers. We will also follow-up with the participants in the upcoming WikiTungi meetups.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of new editors: 5*
- Number of books digitised: 10
- Number of articles created or improved: 100
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
(*) Expected number of new participants, which we will try to get.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Expenses | Amount (in INR)|
- Internet: 10000
- T-shirts(for existing community members): 9,000
- Travel and Accommodation: 40,000
- Event venue: 20,000
- Stickers, banners and other promotional merchandise: 3,000
- Total 1,02,000
- Support --Sailesh Patnaik 07:53, 4 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Aliva Sahoo (talk) 08:00, 4 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Prateek Pattanaik (talk) 08:10, 4 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Pmsarangi (talk) 10:46, 5 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Radhadwibedi (talk)
- Support This is a really important event as the community will also use the opportunity of a physical meetup to revisit some of the issues identified during the Wikimedia 2030 strategy meeting, many of the other legacy issues discussed on the village pumps, updates from the recent collaboration with the Odisha state government, and Asaf's Wikidata tour. It will be also crucial to share cross-project knowledge and identify new goals for the larger Odia-language Wikimedia community. --Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) 08:47, 6 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Bikash Ojha (talk) 20:13, 6 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Coldbreeze16 (talk) 20:16, 6 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Good initiative for community engagement. Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 00:26, 7 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Mrutyunjaya Kar (talk) 05:46, 7 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Devyanshipanigrahi (talk)
- Support --Jnanaranjan sahu (talk) 18:04, 7 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Subas Chandra Rout (talk) 15:25, 14 October 2017 (UTC)