- The following discussion is preserved as an archive of a closed Meta-Wiki request. Please do not modify it.
I am requesting temporary translation admin rights (for a week) to work on Bridges across Cultures contest pages. The contest starts in a few days and the pages need to be properly localized. -- Meisam (talk) 10:06, 12 October 2017 (UTC)
- I would like to support this request, he has been very instrumental for this contest, and I fully trust him Mardetanha talk 10:19, 12 October 2017 (UTC)
- Question: Have you read mw:Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation example and mw:Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation administration? Could you provide an example of pages you have tagged for translation? What pages do you need help marking for translation with? I am here to help you as an existing translate admin. I am not sure if you fit the timing with this request given that the contest starts in 3 days, RfPs normally take longer. I would be happy to have you as a permanent translate admin for as long as you read and understand the documentation, though. --Base (talk) 17:09, 12 October 2017 (UTC)
- Dear Base, I have read the mentioned pages but due to lack of the permission, I can only tag the pages for translation and nothing more. If I get the permission, I’ll complete the example to be more familiar with this tool before using it on other pages.
- The subpages of the Bridges across Cultures which had been edited, needed to be tagged for translation (You’ve already done some. Thanks!):
- I was asking User:Superzerocool for the help with translations but it is really frustrating to bother someone else for each edit on the pages and wait for their response.
- BTW, thanks for moving the navbox to a subpage. Please also tag the latest version of the page for the translation. Also, I promise not to add the translation unit markers manually  ;) -- Meisam (talk) 22:29, 12 October 2017 (UTC)
- Yeah, I've marked all but Participants page because of Talk:Bridges across Cultures/Participants. Though I guess it can be marked for now before the contest started, will do presently. As to the navbox, it was Rapsar who moved it, I just applied his template to the rest of the pages.
- As to your tagging on those pages there were a few issues.
- First of all never add translation unit marks (
<!--T:N-->-like comments) manually, especially with numbers duplicating already existing ones. Behavior of the extension is unpredictable when this is done thus must be avoided. Also never change the number of those units. The units must stay with the fragment of text they belong to, when you translate you will see that those numbers match the numbers pages in Translations namespace have. Thus if you assign new numbers as with Turkey on Countries page all the translations for which the number was changed have to be updated to reflect the "shift" while what is desired is just to insert a new translation in between. The marks are inserted automatically when a translate admin marks the page for translation and they don't necessary follow the ascending order from the top to the bottom of the page, it is absolutely fine having
<!--T:100--> earlier than
<!--T:30-->. Somebody else did the thing I am talking about about Turkey, but a translate admin should fix such things.
- Then, relative links are a bad idea to use on translatable pages especially when there is no good reason to not use the full links. Besides just using full links it is best to make links through Special:MyLanguage and wrap the link part in tvar to hide the long part from translators.
- Well, and general text marking practices as per the docs listed and just best practices differ from what was there, I had to split a unit on the Main page of the contest but I did not fix all the things (having to deal with more RTL than I can avoid keeps me off :) ), generally it is best to have paragraphs separate from lists and so on. Also titles usually are marked together with equal signs, but in this case because of fancy formatting used I let it be.
- Assuming that you understand it all, I Support the nomination.
- As to the bothering thing, well that is what translate admins are for, to be bothered about translate adminship :) --Base (talk) 23:29, 12 October 2017 (UTC)
Done for one week to expire on 22 Oct. 2017. —MarcoAurelio (talk) 15:33, 15 October 2017 (UTC)
- The above request page is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it. Comments about this page should be made in Meta:Babel or Meta:Requests for help from a sysop or bureaucrat.