Carta del Movimento/Contenuto/Ruoli e Responsabilità
|This is a draft or part of the draft of the Movement Charter. You can add your feedback regarding it on the talk page.|
With the draft below, the Movement Charter Drafting Committee introduces its main intentions for the foundation of the Roles & Responsibilities chapter of the Movement Charter. This brief explanation, up to the actual intentions below, will not be part of the final version of the Movement Charter but is only intended as an explanation during the first consultation processes.
The Movement Charter - not just the Roles & Responsibilities chapter - will be written in simple English to facilitate the translation process, and to make it easy to understand and to join the Wikimedia Movement.
The Roles and Responsibilities chapter will present an overview of the various roles and responsibilities within the Wikimedia Movement, and its division across involved stakeholders in this same movement. These roles and responsibilities will include governance responsibilities as well as program-related responsibilities, such as the hosting of the projects, fundraising and grant making responsibilities, technical responsibility (development and maintenance), revenue and resource allocation, and wiki-project related responsibilities like creating or closing of wiki-projects. Of course, these responsibilities will align with the values as mentioned in the Values & Principles chapter of the Movement Charter, with specific regards to the subsidiarity value of entrusting authority to the most immediate or local level that is appropriate, and the equity value to empower and support communities through pragmatic decentralization and autonomy.
The committee intends to engage with different stakeholders in the process of redefining and organizing the governance model for the Wikimedia Movement.
Overall, this chapter will define the adoption of the Charter’s values and principles in practice. It will describe the distribution of roles and responsibilities for entities across the Wikimedia Movement, including the suggested but unexplored structures of the Global Council and Hubs.
The Movement Charter will be written in simple English to provide a low entry barrier to the complexity of our ecosystem.
It is important to note, that the Movement Charter Drafting Committee does not have a decision making power by itself, but once the Movement Charter is formally ratified, the charter will redefine the decision-making power and the broader responsibilities in the Wikimedia Movement. The exact ratification process is yet to be determined.
The Roles & Responsibilities chapter will be based on the following intentions:
- As the Wikimedia Movement has changed over the last 20 years, the committee understands that roles and responsibilities need to evolve or be clarified accordingly. They also need to provide space for future growth, adjustment and innovation.
- This chapter will provide an overview of the Wikimedia Movement and will introduce two new entities: Hubs and the Global Council. The chapter will also introduce and define the mandates of these new entities, when and where they seem fit. The committee will provide clarity of structure, functions, hierarchy and interactions for all stakeholders.
- The committee will work to come to a common agreement for a Hubs definition, taking into account the on-going pilots and community perspectives. Considering the anticipated stature of the Global Council, there will be a dedicated chapter to it in the Movement Charter.
- It is important to understand that the roles and responsibilities chapter is interlinked with the chapters about the Global Council, the hubs, and the decision-making of the Movement Charter.
- The roles and responsibilities that currently exist in the Wikimedia Movement, including several now with the Wikimedia Board of Trustees, may be transferred or modified - in part or in whole. While doing this, the Movement Charter Drafting Committee will review the previous work by the Movement Strategy 2030 working groups, as well as other relevant resources.
- The Wikimedia Movement is an ever changing one. The Movement Charter Drafting Committee will consider alternative governance structures and their potential for future applications to accommodate this.
The Movement Charter Drafting Committee will propose new roles and responsibilities for the movement, fill identified gaps and aim for decentralization and subsidiarity.