Newly registered user
- set custom preferences
- add pages to a watchlist
- move root user pages and category pages
- mark their edits as minor
- send emails to other users
- purge the cache of a page without a confirmation step
The full list of rights for all levels is available at Special:ListGroupRights.
All edits made as a newly registered user will show the user name in the history instead of an IP address.
Newly registered users cannot edit semi-protected pages or move any page. Several other minor restrictions, depending on the wiki, may apply to newly-registered users.
- Per bug 14556, media uploads are an autoconfirmed right on most wikis, Commons being a notable exception.
- Moreover, a very small minority of wikis requires registration to create new pages: en.wiki (since 2005, "as an experiment", because of the Seigenthaler incident), id.wiki, fa.wiki and es.books as of 2011. Note that, based on better social and statistical scrutiny of its effects, the community has decided to stop expansion of this configuration to other wikis, see Limits to configuration changes.
- On all wikis, newly registered users editing from the same IP address can't do more than 8 edits per minute all combined (technical details: $wgRateLimits). This can sometimes be a problem if you're creating and/or using several new accounts from a single location (e.g. for workshops).
- On some wikis additional restriction could apply, defined by $wgNamespaceProtection and $wgRestrictionLevels. For instance, on pt.wiki newly registered users can't edit the File namespace.
On most Wikimedia projects, accounts that are more than four days old are considered autoconfirmed. Some exceptions include zhwiki, nowiki and dewikibooks which require 7 days to reach autoconfirmed status.
Additionally, some Wikimedia projects require a certain number of minimum edits an account has before it is autoconfirmed. Such wikis with a high threshold include arwiki, eswiki, zhwiki and wikidatawiki; all of which require a minimum of 50 edits before reaching autoconfirmed status.