|Welcome to the Pageviews Analysis feedback forum|
This is the forum to provide feature requests, bug reports, and general feedback for the Pageviews Analysis suite of tools.
Some key notes when making a post:
Proposal: adjusted visits
When looking at page visit trends over several months, it is difficult to understand if the trend refer to the specific article, or if it is a more general trend of Wikipedia traffic (for example due to changes in how Google show results of searches). It would be interesting to have the option to adjust the results to be relative to the total traffic on Wikipedia, so that we could see a more unbiased trend for the article. --Ita140188 (talk) 04:27, 27 August 2018 (UTC)
- @Ita140188: How do you suggest we present the data as relative to project-wide pageviews? We can't show an additional line for project-wide pageviews because it will be dramatically higher than a single article. In case you didn't know, Siteviews provides pageviews across all pages, but indeed you'd have to compare/contrast manually. MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 00:49, 29 August 2018 (UTC)
- @MusikAnimal (WMF): thank you for your interest. My idea is to just divide the visits by the total amount of visits to Wikipedia in the same period. The results would be a number between 0 and 1, that can be used to compare visits to articles over time. --Ita140188 (talk) 04:08, 29 August 2018 (UTC)
Request: implement Topview for another namespace
I'd like to know which talk page of article is most viewed. But, current Topview displays pages on article namespace mostly. Could you implement setting to change the namespace to display? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 軽快 (talk)
- Unfortunately the API that Topviews uses does not support namespace filtering, see phab:T182975. It actually returns the top 1000 viewed pages across all namespaces. Topviews then filters it to show only the mainspace (what most people want), but you can uncheck the "Show only mainspace pages" option to reveal the full results. With the full results shown, you can use the "Search" feature and type in a namespace (e.g. "Wikipedia:") and it will effectively only show pages in that namespace. The caveat is that you'll still only see pages that were in the original overall 1,000. So for some namespace you may not get many results. Sorry I can't help you further! MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 04:45, 2 September 2018 (UTC)
Settings like chart type, show values and log scale are not included in the permalink URL, so any changes made to them are not preserved when sharing the link. Ideally all UI options should be settable via the URL. --Waldir (talk) 13:06, 13 September 2018 (UTC)
- Makes sense! I have created phab:T204620. I agree anything visual should be preserved, minus localization settings (such as date formats). MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 22:50, 17 September 2018 (UTC)
Mediaview does not include images
Only audio and video files are counted in the mediaviews tab. Would it be possible to also count images? Ideally, I'd love to be able to combine views for a file on commons including (1) direct file page views on commons; (2) direct "virtual" file page views on, say, enwiki (assuming the file does not exist locally); (3) mediaviewer previews in articles on enwiki -- possibly combining the views from multiple articles.
Ideally, for (3) it should be possible to automatically combine this data for all articles where the file is included, rather than manually introducing the titles. And But for a start, requiring the user to manually add the page titles would be fine.
- The playcounts are provided by analytics dumps. Unfortunately image loads are not recorded. I am sure there's a ticket for this somewhere on Phabricator, but I cannot find it. For now, only video and audio are supported. Sorry! MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 22:42, 17 September 2018 (UTC)
Pageviews bug report - could not open stats page