Hello, I am a little bit unhappy about the recent state of this page. When I conceived it earlier, I divided the movement into the platforms where the persons are active (wikis, Foundation, other organizations). A movement is a social phenomenon, it consists of people or groups of people. "Shared values" are not people and not a part of a movement. Also, I imagine that some things could be clearer. Sometimes I think the wording could be made easier to read. If this page is meant to help people understand the movement better, and get an overview, it needs a lot of improvement. --Ziko (talk) 02:39, 22 July 2015 (UTC)
- The original definition by Anthere was cleanest and clearest, but people like addenda to feel they have their slice of the cake. :-)
- Shared values are what make and define a movement, they are the movement. People are transient. So, of course these "are part" of the thing. Probably there are cultural barriers here, e.g. in Italian you have movimentismo and in France a certain view of mouvement, in English the terms seem mostly used by certain fringe groups and w:Social movement is a mess too.
- As for explaining the Wikimedia movement itself, no, that's not the job of this page. This page only explains the "movement" part, not the "Wikimedia" part. Explaining Wikimedia and the Wikimedia movement is the job of this whole wiki. --Nemo 19:52, 1 August 2015 (UTC)
- @Nemo bis and Ziko: I've boldly added the ecosystem map, as many people have commented on how helpful it is for understanding how the movement relates to the broader world. Hope that seems reasonable/useful. :) Quiddity (talk) 18:48, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
- @Nemo bis: Hi again! I see you have now removed that image with the edit-summary "Remove non-representative image with random names".
- Is there any way we could improve the caption, or the image itself, to make it possible to put it back? I understand the concern that the limited number of examples shown in the existing image isn't comprehensive. But I do believe the image is still a highly-insightful step in the right direction though - it is potentially useful for anyone inside or outside of the Wikimedia movement to understand/remember that we're part of a broader free knowledge movement, and that image is the best method I've seen for doing so, especially for "visual thinkers" like me. Perhaps a clearer caption would sufficiently (if not totally) solve your concerns for the time-being, until someone comes up with a better infographic representation? Thanks. Quiddity (talk) 19:03, 29 July 2020 (UTC)
Explanation of changes to Page Lead by LeoRomero: Translation tests
|Old Version||Version as of 2015.12.17|
|English||The Wikimedia movement consists of the people and groups of people sharing common goals and activities with regard to creating and supporting free knowledge educative content: a collections of shared values, wikimedia projects, organizations, and stakeholders.||The "Wikimedia movement" is a group of volunteers for a common cause: a world where people share knowledge, and where all knowledge is free. We support the values, projects, organizations, and friends of the Wikimedia Foundation.|
||Wikimedia movement by the people and the people of knowledge for creating and supporting free educational content share a common set of objectives and activities: common values, Wikimedia projects, collections organizations and stakeholders.||The "Wikimedia movement" is a group of volunteers for a common cause: a world where people share knowledge, knowledge is everywhere free. We support the values, projects, organizations and friends of the Wikimedia Foundation.|
|French||Le mouvement Wikimedia est composée des personnes et des groupes de personnes partageant des objectifs et des activités communes à l'égard de la création et soutenir la connaissance libre contenu éducatif: une collection de valeurs partagées, des projets Wikimedia, les organisations et les parties prenantes.||Le «mouvement Wikimedia" est un groupe de bénévoles pour une cause commune: un monde où les gens partagent leurs connaissances, et où toutes les connaissances est libre. Nous soutenons les valeurs, les projets, les organisations et les amis de la Fondation Wikimedia.|
||The Wikimedia movement is made up of people and groups of people who share common goals and activities with respect to the creation and support free education content knowledge: a collection of shared values, Wikimedia projects, organizations and stakeholders .||The "movement Wikimedia" is a group of volunteers in a common cause: a world where people share their knowledge, and where all the knowledge is free We support the values, projects, organizations and friends of the Wikimedia Foundation..|
||Common values, Wikimedia project, organization, a collection of stakeholders: the movement of the Wikimedia, create a person, is composed of the free knowledge educational content in a group of people who share the activities and common goal for supportIt has.||People all the knowledge the world share knowledge, and where is the freedom:. Movement of "Wikimedia is a group of volunteers for the" common cause we, Wikimedia Foundation value, project, organization , we support a friend.|
|Persian||جنبش ویکیمدیا متشکل از افراد و گروه ها از مردم به اشتراک گذاری اهداف و فعالیت های مشترک با توجه به ایجاد و حمایت از دانش رایگان محتوای آموزشی: مجموعه ای از ارزش های مشترک، پروژههای ویکیمدیا، سازمان ها، و سهامداران.||دنیایی که در آن مردم به اشتراک گذاشتن دانش، و جایی که تمام دانش رایگان است: "جنبش ویکیمدیا" یک گروه از داوطلبان برای یک علت شایع است. ما در ارزش ها، پروژه ها، سازمان ها، و دوستان از بنیاد ویکیمدیا حمایت می کنند.|
||Wikipedia movement of individuals and groups of people sharing common goals and activities with respect to the creation and support of free educational content: a set of common values, Wikimedia projects, organizations, and stakeholders.||A world in which people share knowledge, and where all knowledge is free "Wikimedia movement" is a group of volunteers for a common cause. We value, projects, organizations, and friends of the Wikimedia Foundation.|
|Pilipino||Ang kilusan Wikimedia ay binubuo ng mga tao at grupo ng mga tao na pagbabahagi ng mga karaniwang mga layunin at mga gawain na may kinalaman sa paglikha at pagsuporta sa libreng kaalaman educative nilalaman: isang koleksyon ng mga shared values, Wikimedia proyekto, organisasyon, at mga parokyano.||Ang "Wikimedia kilusan" ay isang pangkat ng mga boluntaryo para sa isang karaniwang sanhi: isang mundo kung saan ang mga tao ibahagi ang kaalaman, at kung saan ang lahat ng kaalaman ay libre. Sinusuportahan namin ang mga halaga, proyekto, organisasyon, at mga kaibigan ng Wikimedia Foundation.|
||The Wikimedia movement is made up of people and groups of people sharing common goals and tasks related to creating and supporting free knowledge educative content: a set of shared values, Wikimedia projects, organizations, and stakeholders.||"The Wikimedia movement" is a group of volunteers for a common cause: a world where people share knowledge, and where all the knowledge is free. We support the values, projects, organizations, and friends of the Wikimedia Foundation.|
|Spanish||El movimiento Wikimedia consta de las personas y grupos de personas que comparten objetivos y actividades comunes con respecto a la creación y apoyo de conocimiento libre de contenido educativo: una colección de valores compartidos, proyectos de Wikimedia, organizaciones y grupos de interés.||El "movimiento Wikimedia" es un grupo de voluntarios para una causa común: un mundo donde la gente comparte el conocimiento, y donde todo el conocimiento es libre. Apoyamos los valores, proyectos, organizaciones y amigos de la Fundación Wikimedia.|
||The Wikimedia movement consists of people and groups of people who share common goals and activities regarding the creation and support of free educational content knowledge: a collection of shared values, Wikimedia projects, organizations and interest groups.||The "Wikimedia movement" is a group of volunteers for a common cause: a world where people share knowledge, and where all knowledge is free. We support the values, projects, organizations and friends of the Wikimedia Foundation.|
- Per your comment and the discussion above, I've restored the original definition, which is much easier: «The Wikimedia movement is the totality of people, activities and values which revolve around Wikimedia sites and projects». Part of the complexity was recently added by an unexplained edit. Nemo 17:46, 17 December 2015 (UTC)
Mark for translation please
@Laurentius: Hi, could you recover and mark for translation again? Somebody has changed the status. I have translated a good part of it, and it's all yours. Thank you. ----Omotecho (talk) 18:56, 20 June 2017 (UTC)
- Hi, I've marked the new version for translation, thanks. - Laurentius (talk) 07:11, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
About the movement
Request for semi-protection of this (Wikimedia movement) page
Hello Meta-Wiki Admins,
Due to heavy vandalism on this page, I wish to request that it should be semi-protected to counteract this activity. See history for more details: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_movement&action=history. Thanks --Alangi Derick (talk) 11:50, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
Who represents the Wikimedia movement?
old browsers to be blocked jan 2020
i get a warning that for the sake of better https security, old browsers will be blocked from accessing wikipedia starting next year.
i understand this to be an applaudable benefit to the proud iphone owners in oil producing islamic countries who will then be able to better hide their interest in homosexuality related articles which reading in their jurisdiction might be illegal. however, this your attempt might as well be frustrated by such users' home countries simply blocking wikipedia access altogether, or limiting it to access via a proxy of their own which removes https altogether and makes locally illegitimate use trackable again, so that your effort for privacy achieves nothing.
but what you do achieve is to exclude the poor, who are the majority of the world population, the third world or even first world underclass kid with the stolen or donated old phone that's trying to read up into the education their states can't provide them, so their family's next phone, or that of their own children one day, won't need to be a stolen or beggared one. or people who can only access from a rural african/asian/southamerican/siberian school library, the technical equipment of which they have no influence on.
i myself, since i don't smoke, will be able to buy that new 300 euro phone, despite being on welfare due to bad health, and though i hate to see the old one made useless trash after serving me 7 years, but several billion other users will not.
if you don't want to needlessly betray your goal and promise of free knowledge for all, keep http(even without s) access open to those who need it. nobody seeing what others read is of much less concern.
your annual donations request campaign starts some time now, what do you expect when you say, oh btw, the poorer 80 percent of you will be locked out from after xmas... ?
--184.108.40.206 17:45, 3 December 2019 (UTC)
Lack of translation option
The last item below the heading "See also" cannot be translated. Current source code:
<!--T: 26--> * [[Complementary projects]]
In my opinion, the following source code should help:
<!--T:26--> * [[<tvar|complementary-projects>Complementary projects</>]]