Wikimedia Community User Group Math
This group represents the mathematicians worldwide that use Wikimedia products (such as MediaWiki, Wikibase) on WMF hosted and privately hosted servers. While our long term objective is to make mathematical knowledge better accessible to every human being in close collaboration with the Wikimedia 2030 movement, our short term objective is to coordinate the global activities to improve the display and retrieval of mathematical expressions, such as .
More specifically, until Thursday, May 24, 2018, the syntax of the input for mathematical formulae in MediaWiki,i.e., Wikipedia and Wikibase,i.e., Wikidata was fixed. Now, we are in a position that we can change the input syntax and implement new features. To do so we need to reach a global consensus on how to design the details of the new syntax and which new features would be most beneficial towards the success of our vision.
- agree on (realistic) goals how to change the syntax
- improve math rendering quality
- make math more accessible (to machines and APIs)
- improve editing of math formulae
- improve the accessibility of mathematical formulae
Activities (for the next 3 month)
- Close collaboration with the GDML initative and reports on the progress in the each Friday
- Meetup at the CICM in Prague (Session OM5) on July 10th, 12:00. See also announcement in czech.
- Meetup at the annual meeting of the German Mathematical Society on Sep. 23
- Establishmet of a mailing list
2018-06-21 Resolution 1: Deprecate texvc commands conflicting with LaTeX commands used in common packages https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math/Roadmap#Step_1_Part_A:_Remove_problematic_texvc_redefinitions 
Interested in participating
Please add your name here:
- --Salix alba (talk) 05:53, 20 December 2018 (UTC)
- --Debenben (talk) 18:43, 21 December 2018 (UTC)
- --Physikerwelt (talk) 06:48, 16 January 2019 (UTC)
- --Michael Hardy (talk) 21:29, 6 June 2019 (UTC)
- --David Eppstein (talk) 13:43, 12 July 2019 (UTC)
- https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T195861 (First attempt to get the people involved via Phabricator)