This is a conference that currently in draft for chapters and user groups related to East and Southeast Asia to meet up regionally. The project title is still temporary.
Это конференция планируемая для встречи пользователей из региона Восточной и Юго-Восточной Азии (ESEA). Название встречи - временное.
В ходе Викимании 2014 некоторые люди из региона Восточной и Юго-Восточной Азии предлагали взаимодействие на региональном уровне.
Мы хотели бы создать встречу в качестве способа объединиться над практически значимыми проектами и обучением успешному прохождению кейсов. Посредством этой "маленькой Викимании" мы с нетерпением ждем момента, когда различные группы участников смогли бы делиться их собственными впечатлениями о множестве программ, где участвуют их подгруппы, и допустить, что другие группы, которые хотели бы инициировать эти темы, смогли бы получить необходимые советы.
We do posses interconnect but very distinctive culture between nations across the region because of the geography and history and yet in some non-Wikipedia aspects (e.g. real-world cultural and educational) some active international collaborations within region may be seen. Therefore we consider that hosting a such event may be a beginning to open up future opportunities of hosting further events between CJK + SEA chapters and user groups, as well as encouraging younger user groups, such as Javanese Wikipedian, to increase their participation on the movement.
Have Around 20-30 attendees, with around 20 talks and sharing at least.
Arrived on Friday night, having the workshop on Saturday, meeting on Sunday before left.
The Workshop may have two tracks to be sure enough topics can be presented and discussed.
- Broad view session:
- What is open knowledge challenge and advantage in Asia
- Language collaboration on OCR
- Education in East & Southeast Asia
- com-call with an Ivy league professors
- Interregional project co-operations
- Adding the discussion of the gender research: http://osdir.com/ml/general/2015-01/msg13337.html
- How-to session:
- best case sharing about increasing Wikimedia Projects
- Conduct a writing contest (potential speaker: WMID)
- Collaborate with college student (potential speaker: WMTW, Cambodia, Thailand)
- How to write good proposal to get funding, volunteers, and other resources for the projects
- WMF: Grants, Eval&Design, Edu, GLAM
- How to work with other organization that willing to share the Open Knowledge
- How to train the trainers
- best case sharing about increasing Wikimedia Projects
Most likely on: April 18 to 19, 2015
Should avoid other events:
- April 5: Easter
- April 9-12: Wiki GLAM events in Amsterdam
- April 24-26: Anna's Travel
- May 15-17: Wikimedia (Chapters) Conference in Berlin
- Citizens of ASEAN countries, China‡, Hong Kong, Japan‡, Macau and South Korea‡ can enter and remain in Indonesia without a visa for 30 days.
- Citizens of Taiwan and United States can apply for a visa on arrival by paying US $35 at major entry points. The visa allows tourists to enter and remain in Indonesia for 30 days.
‡ Become effective on January 1, 2015.
|Depart from||Airline||Price ($)|
|Hong Kong||Garuda Indonesia||450.94|
|Kuala Lumpur||Lion Air||137.23|
|Los Angeles||Multiple Airlines||992.60|
|Phnom Penh||Malaysia Airlines||557.22|
- Destination: Yogyakarta (round trip)
- Price references: Nusatrip, Skyscanner
- Assumptions: $1.00 = Rp. 12,000.00; round trips are for Friday, March 27th, 2015 to Monday, March 30th, 2015.
- Griya Yunika Boutique HomeStay, Yogyakarta (http://griyayunika.com). WMID members stayed in this place during one of our outreach activities. Small, but very nice place. Wifi provided, but no skypeing etc. that consume large bandwith. Capacity maybe for around 15 people, but there are many nearby hotel (within 1-3 minutes walk) to accomodate more people (say up to 20-30 people meetup). The location is a bit far from the city central of Yogyakarta (need a bit effort to go to downtown or elsewhere), so it can make people concentrate to the program. Assumptions: $1.00 = Rp. 12,000.00
- Deluxe room Rp. 380,000.- (US$ 31.67), include breakfast 2 pax
- Executive room Rp. 550,000.- (US$ 45.83), include breakfast 2 pax
- Deluxe room Rp. 650,000.- (US$ 54.17), include breakfast 3 pax
Supporting this idea
- Naval Scene (talk) 14:56, 2 December 2014 (UTC)
- Zhu yihan (talk) 11:32, 7 December 2014 (UTC)
- Liang(WMTW) (talk) 07:17, 9 December 2014 (UTC)
- Pras (talk) 14:42, 9 December 2014 (UTC)
- Ted Chien (talk) 01:44, 11 December 2014 (UTC)
- ✒ Bennylin 17:11, 29 April 2015 (UTC)
- TSVC1190 (talk) 02:31, 23 August 2017 (UTC)
- Filipinayzd (talk) 06:49, 2 October 2017 (UTC)
Targeted participants are people from chapters & usergroups of the region. Other participants could be from nearby regions if the budget allowed.
Please add names and usernames of who we can contact in each Country/Region.
- Hong Kong
- Samuel WMHK
- Kris WMHK User:krislcc
- Venus WMHK
- Ichsan Mochtar. User:Naval Scene WMID, User:Isabella Apriyana WMID, Hendra Prastiawan User:D'SpecialOne WMID.
- User:Pras, User:Puryono, User:Nurulbaitirohmah, User:JV015Chafid, User:PL 05 SIGIT. Javanese Usergroup (active members).
- Takashi OTA (User:Takot)
- HotaniKG a user who used to be involved with the Wikipedia Education Program
- Eugene Alvin Villar (User:Seav), Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Wikimedia Philippines
- Josh Lim (User:Sky Harbor), Trustee of Wikimedia Philippines / Member of the Affiliations Committee
- Dr. Jack Tsen-Ta Lee, Assistant Professor of Law, School of Law, Singapore Management University
- South Korea
- Taweetham. User:Taweetham. Usergroup Thailand.
- vi:User:Ninh Chữ
- User:Phương Huy
- User:Thái Nhi
- User:Trần Nguyễn Minh Huy
See the ESEA_Meetup/MeetingMinutes
- strategy:Southeast Asia (2010)
- Further opportunities (2010)
- strategy:East Asia (2010)
- GLAM report (2011) (Note: AFAICT, nothing came out of any of those meetings)
- Other regional meetups
- Wiki-Indaba-2014, Wikipedians across the African continent
- Iberoconf 2014, Ibero-American chapters
- Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2014, Central and Eastern European Wikimedians
Next steps and action needed
- Please review the draft grant application at: Grants:PEG/WM ID/ESEA Meetup 2015
- Please complete the table below to help find out how projects will be applied by cultural background
|Country/Region||What works well||What does not work||Future interests|