Grants:Project/Rapid/Launching of Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin.
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Background and Project Goal
The Wikimedia Fan Club University of Ilorin, is a hub for undergraduate, postgraduate students and staff of University of Ilorin with the purpose of contributing to Wikimedia and her related projects. This club is based in the campus and run by the students with coordination from Wikimedia UG Nigeria (WUGN). The club promotes Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Yoruba Wikipedia, Simple Wikipedia, and Commons especially) among the students through the execution of projects, meet-ups and regular edit-a-thons as a way of exposing the students to the movement.
The club will be hosting regular edit-a-thons, weekly workshops, photography events, and more that cater to and attract students, librarians, and other university faculty. We aim to reach and generate interest in members of the university who may not utilize and contribute to Wikimedia resources and to as well as create a community to support those who currently are involved with Wikipedia.
The success of this club will primarily be to raise young Wikimedians across the diversity of disciplines and cultures in the University community. It will help students know and contribute more to other Wikimedia projects.
Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Create awareness about the new Wikimedia Fan Club, Wikimedia and it's projects.
- Create awareness about the club's objectives.
- Recruit and train new editors for Wikimedia projects especially English Wikipedia, Yoruba Wikipedia, Simple English Wikipedia and Commons.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- We intend to host a 2 day launch meet-up that will be open to all students and staff of the University to understand what Wikimedia is all about, why they need to contribute and how they can contribute to the projects. The meet-up also creates a room for participants to become members of the Wikimedia community as they join Wikimedia Fan Club University of Ilorin. On
Day 1: Creating awareness around the campus about the new fan club by evangelizing around the campus, handing out fliers, talking to people one on one in order to make Day 2's turnout massive
Day 2: The key program will be a plenary session of introductory talks to Wikimedia. A Question and Answer session will follow. A 'wikicake' will be cut to commemorate the birth of the club and symbolize the free wealth of knowledge Wikimedia shares with and for humanity.
More on this can be seen at the Resources section below.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- We will be pasting fliers and posters around campus. We will also be posting digital flyers on the school's various WhatsApp groups and Instagram pages. We will use Eventbrite as a means to publicize, handle manage the crowd and register participants ahead of the program. There are 16 faculties in the University. We write to each faculty to send 3 interested representatives each so as to expand our diversity of members/contributors across various disciplines. That makes nearly half the expected attendance.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- After the meeting is over, a WhatsApp group will be created and all participants would be added for further interaction and information. Should there be any challenges faced by anyone while editing, the WhatsApp group can support. As earlier mentioned, the club would be having subsequent weekly edit-a-thons. This will be a training and enabling platform for them to collaboratively improve both their editing skills and Wikikedia itself. The General Secretary, who keeps records which includes contacts from meet-ups would regularly give a call when subsequent meetings are to be held.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of active editors involved: 4
- Number of total participants: 100 students
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
We have free access to request for the basement of the University's auditorium. This serene and quiet space would have cost us N100,000/$275. But having registered the club with the school we can get it for free.
Also, I am inviting 3 Wikimedians who have been very active and impactful in the Wikimedia community in Africa (User:Olaniyan Olushola, User:Wikicology,and User:Jamie Tubers) to be speakers during the plenary session of Day 2.
- User:Olaniyan Olushola Wiktroduction, an introduction to Wikimedia and her projects.
- User:Wikicology, Wiki needs you, an stimulating introduction to why and how to contribute to Wikimedia projects especially the Yoruba Wikipedia.
- User:Jamie Tubers, Unboxing the world, a brief and crispy introduction to Commons and how students can join in. Why should anyone want to upload his/her photos on the internet for the world to freely use? Sam will be answering this and explaining the several licenses. Pictures of the year (POTY) will be on the slides during this talk.
- I will be giving a talk on, A Simple Trick, A Simple Pinch, to enlighten students about the intensive efforts ongoing at the Simple English Wikipedia to make English Wikipedia articles simple, the trick to access it (just change en to simple), how 'simple' it is to improve the Simple English Wikipedia.
They will entertain questions and answers too. Random trivia questions and facts will be thrown to the audience within each speakers talks. A brief questionnaire on the concerned Wikimedia projects will be distributed at the event.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Detail||Price NGN||Price USD||Comment|
|Refreshment||N300 x 100 people x 2 days||60000||165.72|
|Internet||20 Gigabytes||20000||55.24||For sessions requiring internet connection|
|Fliers and Posters||40000||110.48||To be pasted all around the campus|
|Roll up banner||x 1||30000||82.86||To be mounted at the venue of the program: at the stage during the plenary talks and on the way out for student selfies that will publicize the club further|
|Merchandise shirts||N3000 x 30 people||90000||248.58||For facilitators and founding members of the club|
|Camera rental||N10000 x 2 Days||20000||55.24||To cover the event's activities|
|Interstate travel||N20000 x 2 people||40000||110.48||For WUGN coordinators from Lagos to Ilorin|
|Hotel||N10000 x 2 people x 3 nights||60000||165.72||For WUGN coordinators who do not reside in Ilorin|
|Coordinators' feeding||N5000 x 2 people x 3 days||30000||82.86||For WUGN coordinators during their stay in Ilorin.|
|Cake||20000||55.24||Wiki Cake commemorate the birth of the new club|
|Contingency||30500||84.24||Phone calls, stationery, bank transfer charges and any little or unforeseen costs that may arise.|
- This has been listed in resources
- SupportGreat initiative, the actualization of this event will increase the number of Wikipedians from various disciplines on campus and in the Ilorin community. It will also give staff and students the opportunity to utilize but add to the pool of knowledge Wikimedia creates and also make use of the available knowledge! I'm a student of the University. Haylad (talk) 11:23, 25 February 2018 (UTC)
Support, With Olaniyan Olushola's comment in mind. Every Nigerian tertiary institution deserves a fans club, thanks for taking the initiative. Mahveotm (talk) 07:39, 27 February 2018 (UTC)
- SupportThe launching of Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin, will create a community of active Wikimedians across various academic disciplines leading to an increase in the number of contributions to Wikimedia projects from the region. preciousayara(talk) 07:48,27 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support but need to build team Slowking4 (talk) 00:53, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
This is a productive and interesting project I must say, it's going to bring more contributions under the umbrella of Wikipedia, with several inputs from different knowledgeable sources... especially in Unilorin @184.108.40.206 08:28, 10 May 2018 (UTC)