Grants:Project/Rapid/Project/Rapid/PH-WC/Wiki Loves Earth 2020 in the Philippines
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
- To engage new and existing contributors of the community.
- To add freely licensed, and quality images of natural heritages of the Philippines to Wikimedia Commons.
- To spread awareness about contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on freely licensed and high quality images of natural heritages here in the Philippines, that will be contributed to Wikimedia Commons for free usage and spread its importance via usage in Wikipedia articles. The competition is important because it gives us exposure of our natural heritages. However due to the COVID-19 pandemic, offline activities during the contest will be prohibited. Pictures taken during the contest period will be disqualified. No awarding ceremony this year. Prizes will be sent via courier.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Village pumps
- Social media promotion
- Press releases
- Word of mouth
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
We will have a jury composed of people from the Wikimedia community and professional photographers. Prizes will be in term of gift certificate and a trophy. The jury will determine the winners of the local contest taking into the consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will utilize those uploaded resources in Wikimedia projects by communicating to contributors through e-mail or talk page.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals?
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 100
- Maffeth Opiana - Project Coordinator (oversee all the activities of the Project)
- Nabin K. Sapkota - Consultant (technical and jury member)
- 1 USD = PHP 50.92 (as of April 2, 2020 according to www.oanda.com)
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (PHP)||Total (PHP)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Social media promotion||1||PHP 5,000||USD 98.19||Sponsored posts to reach wider audience|
|2||Prizes||5||varies||PHP 45,000||USD 883.74||1st prize: Gift Certificate - PHP 20,000 (USD 392.77)|
2nd prize: Gift Certificate - PHP 10,000 (USD 196.39)
3rd prize: Gift Certificate - PHP 5,000 (USD 98.19)
Runners-up (4th-10th Place Winners) - Gift Certificate - PHP 1,000 (each) (USD 137.47)
Special prize (Participant with the most number of quality images contributed): Gift Certificate - PHP 3,000 (USD 58.91)
|3||Plaques||11||PHP 3,000||USD 58.91||Framed certificates|
|4||Tokens||3 kinds||PHP 7,125.23||USD 139.93||10 Wikipedia globe pins, 50 pcs. buttons and 50 pcs. stickers (from the Wikipedia Store; including shipping fee) for local volunteers and jurors, top and special prize, and future outreach give aways|
|5||Courier fee||11||PHP 5,000||USD 98.19||Courier for the certificates and transaction fees for the prizes|
|6||Incorporation fees||PHP 5,705||USD 112.04||Incorporation fee, membership book, notarial fees, fare|
|7||Permits||PHP 2,260||USD 44.38||Business permits, community tax certificate, business clearance|
|8||New bank account||PHP 15,000||USD 294.58||Bank fee and initial deposit|
|9||Other assessments||PHP 6,000||USD 117.83||Organizing expenses; tax identification number, other permits, receipts printing|
|Total: PHP 94,089.47 (USD 1,847.79)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Conditional support - Condition is that priority for awards be given to unfiltered and to uncomposited images. Otherwise, the WLE PH proposal looks solid. Checkingfax (talk) 06:11, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - Now on its 3rd year, WLE PH is one of the most exciting Wiki event in the Philippines! --Filipinayzd (talk) 03:45, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - Shahidul Hasan Roman (talk) 03:55, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Strong Support - Another undocumented natural heritage will be documented this year! Great news! #WikiLovesEarth #QualityPhotographs2020 FroyAgta (talk) 03:55, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - Motoko C. K. (talk) 04:23, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - I'm so excited, Since on its 3rd year, WLE PH is one of the most exciting Wiki event in the Philippines and also it so be a great help to promote and preserve natural heritage and also reupdate, retake and to save for the future. -- ShiminUfesoj 04:30, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - This project helps people to find quality Photos of Philippin. That's why I support this lovely project. Shikhon Biswas (talk) 04:38, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - Habib Rabbi (talk) 04:46, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - ネイ (talk) 10:09, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - Can't wait for this! Amazing images of the Earth will once again captured this year. MarvinBikolano (talk) 08:20, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support --Avicenno (talk) 12:27, 3 April 2020 (UTC).
- Support--Lokesha kunchadka (talk) 17:14, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support Even though the event is more than a month away, I'd strongly suggest the organisers to strictly adhere to all WHO and the Philippine National Government guidelines pertaining to the Covid-19 global pandemic with regard to the conduction of this Event. I believe Nature is in its most pristine form, the word over, in a lot of years and a Photography event is a really god idea. Aspects such as ensuring participants maintain Social distancing, obtaining all prior necessary permissions from the local authorities (if applicable) to conduct WLE should all be planned and executed properly. Pre-planning and careful execution is a must, I really hope the Philippine Community will set an example for Wikimedia communities throughout the world and show how things should be done in testing times such as this. -- Mouryan (talk) 07:30, 4 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support Wikilover90 (talk) 11:40, 4 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support. The proposal looks fine. Hope this project run as expected. ··· 🌸 Rachmat04 · ☕ 14:01, 4 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support Sankoswal (talk) 12:25, 5 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support Innocentbunny TALK 08:47, 7 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - I love this idea. -- Sageo (talk) 22:49, 7 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - The idea is pretty awesome. -- Hari Paudyel (talk) 22:49, 7 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support - Nirmal Dulal (talk) 02:52, 17 April 2020 (UTC)
- Support -- Acharya Bipin (talk) 17:39, 19 April 2020 (UTC)
- Volunteer I want to help for the project from Bangladesh as a volunteer. Habib Rabbi (talk) 04:52, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Volunteer I want to help for the project from Thailand as a volunteer. B20180 (talk) 06:22, 3 April 2020 (UTC)
- Volunteer I want to help for the project from the Philippines as a volunteer. --Filipinayzd (talk) 21:35, 17 April 2020 (UTC)
- Volunteer I want to help for the project from the Philippines as a volunteer. --FroyAgta (talk) 11:07, 29 April 2020 (UTC)