Welcome to Meta!
Hello, Liz. Welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!
-- Meta-Wiki Welcome (talk) 01:24, 15 September 2013 (UTC)
Thank you for the welcome. Much appreciated! Nwjerseyliz (talk) 15:21, 26 September 2013 (UTC)
Hello. Why are you continuing to edit as User:Nwjerseyliz? You should probably go to Special:MergeAccount now that you own User:Liz@metawiki. PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:23, 4 October 2013 (UTC)
- PiRSquared17, my username was just changed, as you know. When I am logged into to WikiMedia as Nwjerseyliz and then go to en.wiki, I'm logged in there as Nwjerseyliz which was an account I used in 2007. I needed to log out and then log back in as Liz as I didn't know I was logged into the wrong account.
- Now that my username has changed on WikiMedia, I won't have this problem any longer. Liz (talk) 18:43, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you for the reply. I hope my message did not seem rude. If you have any other problems with SUL, feel free to ask on SRSUL. :-) PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:10, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- No problem, PiRSquared17. I've had different user names over the past 7 years (never at the same time) so this is an effort to find one I can use on a variety of wikis. Thanks again! Liz (talk) 14:34, 6 October 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you for the reply. I hope my message did not seem rude. If you have any other problems with SUL, feel free to ask on SRSUL. :-) PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:10, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal Clinics
Hello, Liz! We've added Events to IdeaLab, and you're invited :)
Upcoming events focus on turning ideas into Individual Engagement Grant proposals before the March 31 deadline. Need help or have questions about IEG? Join us at a Hangout:
- Thursday, 13 March 2014, 1600 UTC
- Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 1700 UTC
- Saturday, 29 March 2014, 1700 UTC
Hope to see you there!
This message was delivered automatically to IEG and IdeaLab participants. To unsubscribe from any future IEG reminders, remove your name from this list
Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitions
The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.
If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on change.org.
I'm notifying you because you participated in one of several relevant discussions. -Pete F (talk) 22:13, 20 August 2014 (UTC)
Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.
- Please join us at the Harassment workshop!
Best regards, the Support and Safety team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:35, 17 February 2016 (UTC)
You may want to see this message about it. Regards, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 07:24, 2 March 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for filling me in, Elitre (WMF). It's appreciated. Liz (talk) 11:19, 2 March 2016 (UTC)
JSTOR account redistribution (The Wikipedia Library)
Hi - according to our records you received a free account for JSTOR through The Wikipedia Library. Because we’ve used up all of our allocated accounts, and it’s been some time since they were distributed, we want to redistribute any accounts that aren’t being used to users on our waitlist.
If you’re still using, or plan to use, your JSTOR access, no problem! Simply head over to the Library Card platform, log in, and request a renewal of your account. You should be able to do this from your user page, or the JSTOR signup page. If you can’t find the renewal button, or have any other issues or questions about this, please feel free to leave a message on my talk page. We’ll begin redistributing inactive accounts in September; if you request renewal after then we will only be able to reactivate your account if we have spots remaining. Thanks, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:32, 20 August 2018 (UTC)
Deletion of Christopher Ailman
I just discovered that you deleted w:Christopher Ailman with this comment:
Expired PROD, concern was: A search for references failed to find significant coverage in reliable sources to comply with notability requirements.
I realize you do not have to respond, but just wanted to let you know I googled his name and found these on the very first try:
Don't know what references were in the deleted article. Ottawahitech (talk) 22:57, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- Oh, Ottawahitech!
- I really miss seeing you on en.wiki. I took a break when I was diagnosed with cancer and when I finally returned, you were gone! Have you thought of posting an unblock request or are you just over editing Wikipedia? I know right before my two breaks, I had had my fill of the conflict. Then, I eventually missed it and came back.
- As for Christopher J. Ailman, I don't know about restoring that article for the Investment Officer of the California State Teachers’ Retirement System. One of your references is a press release, another a simple listing of his profile on a business website (not an article or interview). I just don't think that he ranks high in notability by Wikipedia standards (even though he has a very important job). But I did find out that he was a Promise Keeper! I didn't think that group was still around.
- I don't come to WikiMedia very often but I am very happy to see your message and see that you are still involved with this crazy project. ;-) Liz (talk) 23:40, 3 June 2019 (UTC)
What a breath of fresh air to find a friendly person here. It must take guts to communicate with someone considered Public Enemy #1. It is doubly touching when someone who is going through very difficult times themselves takes the time to do it.
I don’t know how much you know about me, but in real life I am a law abiding citizen. I have never been in trouble with the law, not even a traffic ticket. However, I was brought up to be vocal when I observe others treated in a way that is not right. My experience at Wikipedia has taught me how privileged I am to live where such actions are acceptable. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am. Many people live in countries where their lives are in danger if they do not toe the line.
Have I thought of posting an unblock request at en-wiki? - even if I wanted to I cannot. My talk page access is removed.
Do I want to be unblocked: Only at such a time when Due Process is implemented at en-wiki, so that other blocked users who may not have powerful friends also have access to the same kind of justice.
Do I want my name cleared - yes that would be nice. Being a blocked (some claim I was banned), creates unforeseen problems for online travel beyond en-wiki.
Anyway, I don’t want to burden you with any of this, suffice it to say I am very grateful to you for stopping by to answer my question above. Ottawahitech (talk) 14:51, 12 June 2019 (UTC)
Speedy deletion nomination of Category:Employment agencies of the United Arab Emirates
Thanks for posting a notice about this upcoming deletion. I will have to do some wiki-research to try and figure out why this category has been emptied. I hope it does not take me too long. Ottawahitech (talk) 19:27, 16 July 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Liz, I found an article that should be in w:Category:Employment agencies of the United Arab Emirates namely w:Jobs in Dubai. Of course I cannot add it myself, and I am also not permitted to ask anyone to add it (editing by proxy, or so I am told). However, I believe deleting this category is counter productive, since someone would have to re-create it in the future. Cheers, Ottawahitech (talk) 19:54, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
- Hi, Ottawahitech,
- I won't proxy edit but I will look into this. Liz (talk) 19:49, 29 July 2019 (UTC)
Speedy deletion nomination of Category:Salahaddin University faculty
Thanks for continuing to post speedy deletions of empty categories. BTW you are the only person on Wikipedia who notified me of these type of speedies, I used to find out about those a long time afterthey were gone. Thanks for a job well-done.
Anyway, back to the topic: w:Adnan Koucher Is an article about someone who lectured at this university. The cat was removed on July 21 with this edit summary:
remove a category which not related to his biopic
Also, you have posted a third speedy-cat deletion notice to my talkpage. Since I have not been editing enwiki since early 2017 all these cats have obviously only recently been emptied, and also obviously, no one else who visits my talkpage is interested in trying to save these empty cats, so should I just suck it up and move-on? Any opinion? Cheers, Ottawahitech (talk) 04:13, 30 July 2019 (UTC)
Nomination for the Movement Strategy Transition Design Group
Hi Liz. To help the movement transition from the release of the Wikimedia 2030 recommendations into implementation, a transition process will take place virtually from September to November. This is where community members and other stakeholders will collectively prioritize and sequence among the recommendations, and discuss related resourcing needs and partnerships to carry forward implementation. To create this virtual transition process and develop an inclusive transition plan, a Design Group is being convened. User:Yair rand has nominated you for North America. Your regional experience and your expertise with en.WP, would be valuable assets for these discussions. The design discussions will be open and shared on-wiki, so community members and strategy enthusiasts can provide input in parallel.
Starting next week, June 29, until early August, the task will entail:
- Working with a diverse group of people from across the movement to design a series of online events
- Participating in weekly 2-hour calls (6 planned at the moment) happening on Mondays 16:00-18:00 UTC
- Carrying out some asynchronous work in between, supported by a small Transition Support Team
Is this something you'd be interested in and have the time for?
Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thank you very much, MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 19:18, 24 June 2020 (UTC)
WikiConference North America 2020 registration
Thank you for signing up to attend WikiConference North America 2020! If you haven't already, it would be much appreciated if you could also take a minute to register through our form at register.wcna.wiki. While not required, this will help us keep you informed via email, and will also help give us an idea of attendance numbers over the next three days. Thank you, ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 19:07, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
The Editing team has scheduled a major update to mw:Extension:DiscussionTools (the new Reply tool) for next week's deployment train. Since you invoke the feature from a script (I do, too), you're probably going to see that update next week, before it's officially released in the mw:Beta Feature system. The new update will use a similar system for starting a ==New discussion==. As before, full-page wikitext editing will not be affected. There is more information on the project page at mw:Talk pages project/New discussion.
If you encounter problems next week, please ping me or leave a note on the talk page for the project. Thanks, Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 21:58, 12 January 2021 (UTC)
Hi @Liz: Can you delete en:User:184.108.40.206, en:User:220.127.116.11, en:Category:Suspected_Wikipedia_sockpuppets_of_18.104.22.168. 22.214.171.124 13:23, 10 February 2021 (UTC)
- I can't delete pages tagged by Checkuser or a Sockpuppet Investigation report. Sorry. Liz (talk) 23:45, 13 February 2021 (UTC)
A message for you
I am writing here because I wanted this to be directed at you without someone needlessly commenting. I know I got into fights with people and I honestly think I will have to take to heart that I shouldn't worry too hard. It probably got the better of me honestly, as it really doesn't matter in the end.
That said, what is the best way of going forward?
Starzoner (talk) 18:15, 16 March 2021 (UTC)
- Hello, Starzoner,
- You are enormously productive. I spend my time on admin and maintenance tasks, truly janitorial work, disposing of unwanted pages and fixing errors and I just don't understand the drive to create more and more articles, to have hundreds (thousands?) of drafts-in-progress. There is no race on Wikipedia, no deadline. I think you are a good editor but your drive to be first is misplaced. No one is keeping score but you. People really value quality over quantity and crafting a few outstanding articles is more admirable to most content creators than creating hundreds of stubs (although we need them both!). Right now, we are working on cleaning up thousands of stub articles for unincorporated settlements in California and Virginia that occurred when two different editors decided a decade ago to create articles for every single place name they found in reference books. Now several editors and admins are in the process of reviewing somewhere around 7,000 articles to weed out the junk. I'm not saying that this is comparable to your work but your editing time is limited and I'd focus on working on subjects you are passionate about instead of spreading yourself thin.
- My main problem with your editing style is that is seems like you have used your page mover right to usurp other people's work which is infuriating to them and to me seems unfair. Your draft might not be superior to another editor's draft. Maybe they could be merged? I think what might help with the fights is for you to participate on a WikiProject on a subject you care about (Film, perhaps?), read over their standards & guidelines, spend some time assessing existing articles which is work that is almost always needed. Think of where your work is most needed rather than on edit or article counts. Then people will seek out your help instead of competing with you.
- That's my 2 cents. Sorry for the delay in responding but I don't come over here often. I do understand why you wanted to talk here and please know that I don't hold grudges, I'm just trying to find ways to help everyone work better together because that's what makes the work more enjoyable for everyone which results in a better encyclopedia. We lose too many good editors when they can't get along with other editors and I hope that this situation works out so that everyone can do their best work. Liz (talk) 23:54, 19 March 2021 (UTC)
Invitation for WikiConference North America 2021
Thank you for signing up for last year's WikiConference North America 2020! I'd like to invite you to this year's WikiConference North America 2021, taking place online and free, October 8-10.
- Registration is open and takes just a few minutes!
- Program submissions are also open through the end of the month, though they are being reviewed on a rolling basis—so the sooner you submit, the better! We are accepting presentations, workshops, round tables, or any other type of session format you can think of.
If you've already registered or submitted a proposal—thank you! We look forward to seeing you soon. ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 19:08, 11 September 2021 (UTC)
Hi Liz. Would you take a look at the SPI? "Jadeyyxxx" and "Kimberlyhartpinkpowerranger" have been blocked indefinitely by other admins. 126.96.36.199 03:51, 14 October 2021 (UTC)
Whose Knowledge? Drop-in July 2022 invitation
Over the next 2 weeks, we want to invite Whose Knowledge? User Group members to a community conversation about the upcoming Board of Trustees election. We’re also testing these drop-ins as a great way to be in touch, and establish periodic check-ins with our community.
There will be 2 informal drop-in sessions on different days and times. Please come to the session that works best for you:
- Drop-in 1: Thursday, July 7, 2022 - 12pm UTC
- Drop-in 2: Monday, July 11, 2022 - 6pm UTC
To learn more, visit the event page. If you can't join us, but you are interested in the conversation, we’d be more than happy to hear from you on our Talk page!
Just a gentle disclaimer: You are getting this message because you have signed up as a member of Whose Knowledge? User Group. We will send invitations like this from time to time, but we promise not to burden your Talk page. Feel free to unsubscribe from the distribution list.
--Mariana Fossatti (WK?) (talk) 18:19, 29 June 2022 (UTC)
Excuse me, but I've heard about what you said and I respect your advice. They denied my unblock request for the second time because they're not sure I'm ready yet. I gave out a good reason Wikipedia is my thing and waiting on their response. I've been looking at the guidelines through over the NFF and understand a few they are concern about but I'm worried about this. I was once Crazybob2014 til I go through the same thing as I did before. Lose my editing and everything til I start over years later. I can't go back to how it was. It will start over and I wanna break this cycle so I can be myself. But the users won't keep me off. All they do is warn me over my actions and diss on me breaking a few rules without knowing it. I'm afraid to move onto another project without fixing a few things. I tried to do something good for the Wiki but everytime my autism kicks in over them being rude to me, they just don't understand who I am. Over my anger, my frustration, everything. All I was trying to do was keep the template from Skydance Media the way it was but they just think it's a mess. Heck, even told me about the table thing for the List of Illumination productions and I got blocked for 48 hours. If they ever accept my unblock request... I don't know what happens if they don't if I keep repeating it. If you have any help on how to comminute better, let me know in my talk page on Wikipedia. I'm open til I get it right. BMA-Nation2020 (talk) 00:46, 20 January 2023 (UTC)
Excuse me but... can you help me get back to the wikpedia? It's been a month and i'm getting worried about this block thing. i can't edit much on the wiki and the list of dreamworks animation productions is a mess. i need to go back there and fix it along with the others but they... i don't wanna wait 6 months, i'm sorry! please respond @Liz. Please. BMA-Nation2020 (talk) 00:51, 11 February 2023 (UTC)
- Hello, BMA-Nation2020,
- I don't really review unblock requests, there's a handful of admins who handle that responsibility. You sound rather desperate and that doesn't help you when writing an unblock request. The Guide to Unblock Requests really tells you exactly what you need to do, you need to identify why you got blocked (so, you understand why you were blocked) and say that whatever behavior you did will not be repeated. It helps to state how you will avoid making the same mistakes in the future. What admins' job really is is to keep Wikipedia from disruption so that editors can productively edit and they need to be reassured that you will not be a source of disruption for them.
- What is NOT important to an unblock reviewer is stating how important editing is to you and how much you want to edit. These are not factors that will influence their decision of whether to unblock you and it can make it look like that you want to edit so much that you'll say anything to be unblocked and you are not taking the block seriously. What can help is for you to productively edit on another Wikimedia project, there are hundreds of them that you can do work on. If an unblock reviewer can see that you can edit on other projects successfully, without disruption, it can help you get a positive result from an unblock request. Good luck. Liz (talk) 02:38, 12 February 2023 (UTC)