WALRUS/June 2016

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Time[edit]

June 30, 2016 - 930pm EDT, 630pm PDT

Doodle poll for meeting scheduling[edit]

http://doodle.com/poll/9y2x39kvg8qrz8tg

Zoom videoconference information[edit]

We will use a meeting tool called Zoom instead of Google Hangouts. The participant cap will be 50 people (: Please sign up for an account on www.zoom.us and then take a look at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362033-Getting-Started-on-PC-and-Mac

  • We'll use the Zoom time limit of 40 minutes to encourage ourselves to be efficient with time.
  • Should we record this meeting and make the archive publicly available? Please comment on the talk page.

Chair & secretary for this month[edit]

  • Meeting host for Zoom: Kirill Lokshin
  • Meeting chair: Pharos
  • Meeting secretary for minutes: To be determined

Agenda[edit]

  • "One minute updates" from each chapter and user group. (6:30-6:45)
  • Wikimania update - Issues, ideas, trends from the conference with implications for Wikimedia US movement (6:45-6:50) (Fuzheado and Pharos)
  • GLAM and diversity (6:50-6:55) (Fuzheado)
    • GLAM Wiki Bootcamp, Diversity Conference - lessons and implications for Wikicon
    • AfroCROWD, DC, NMAAHC, and perhaps other cities for September?
    • Boston and bootstrapping more GLAM
    • Glossy newsletter for external outreach/partners (eg. GLAM one pager on steroids commons:File:GLAM_One-Pager.pdf)
    • Rapid Grant for Wikipedia Space banner exhibit for Librarians, NYC, San Diego. Others? commons:File:WikipediaSpace SAAM 20160219 175001.jpg
    • Wiki Loves Pride
  • Wiknic 2016 (6:55-7:00) (Pharos)
  • Main page
  • Announcements to mailing lists
  • Geonotices and/or site banners
  • WikiCon USA/SoCal (in San Diego Oct 7-10, 2016) (7:00-7:05) (DrMel)
WALRUS
  • Deciding on a formal name for ourselves. (7:11-7:13) (Pine)
  1. WALRUS?
  2. Wikimedia US Alliance?
  3. Wikimedia US Coalition?
  4. Wikimedia US Conference?
  5. Wikimedia US Consortium?
  6. Something else?
  • SurveyMonkey?
  • Requesting the www.wikimedia.us domain from WMF (7:14-7:15) (Pine)
  • Easy for outsiders to find
  • We can put calendars, meeting notes, and other resources there
  • Level of interaction? "Announce-only" policy to limit the opportunities for harassment and other problems, or more open to encourage discussion?

Tabled agenda items. (If there is time at the end of the meeting, anyone can pick up one of these items for discussion)

  • Health & Medicine programs
  • Wiki Loves Earth and other photography competitions
  • Art + Feminism
  • Legal activism and civil liberties
  • Privacy
  • Copyright
  • Freedom of panorama
  • Orphaned works
  • Technical developments
  • QR codes
  • Wikimedia mobile apps and mobile web
  • Wikidata and referencing
  • Government agencies and NGOs with mission alignment (ex. National Archives, state and local governments, history societies, Red Cross, Consumer Reports, UNESCO, NASA)
  • Grants:IdeaLab/Cameras for Commons photographers
  • GLAM-US coordination and/or "GLAM-Wiki Consortium", possibly an intern, contract, or part-time position
  • Collaboration with public broadcasters such as PBS, NPR, and BBC America, and public-interest broadcasters such as C-SPAN

Meeting minutes[edit]

Attendees: Addis Wang, Aharon Varady, Andrew Lih, Antonio, Carwil Bjork-James, Clifford Anderson, Checkingfax (Wayne Calhoon), Ganesh, Jim Hayes, Kevin Payravi, Kirill Loshkin, Lane Rasberry, Maria RImmel, Mary Mark, Mel Ganus, Pharos, Pine, RachelWex, Robert Fernandez, Rosie Stephenson, Sage Ross, Sydney Poore, Wikimedians of Colorado (A Starbucks in Colorado)

Pharos: Chair for 6/30 meeting RachelWex: secretary

Agenda

  • "One minute updates" from each chapter and user group. (6:30-6:45)
    • Pharos (Richard Knipel) Wikipedia NYC, returning from WIkipedia conferences in NYC and Italy
    • Rachel (RachelWex), Wikipedia User Group MN, Wiki Loves Pride event in Twin Cities a success!
    • Addis Wang,
    • Pine (Cascadia Wikimedians Group OR, WA, BC)--slowed down for the summer, will pick up in the fall, discussing funding w/WMF and planning the Wiknic
    • Antonio (Tony the Tiger), Chicago, will have July Wiknic in Chicago--attended Afro-Latino event in NYC--want to try this out in Chicago
    • Jim Hayes, Wikimedia DC, finished with Women in Red Female Entertainers, Smithsonian and NARA edithathons
    • Clifford Anderson--hiatus for the summer, now on east coast, looking for editathon themes
    • Ganesh (Atlanta)--formed Georgia Wikipedians Group--first event July 9th--looking forward to it
    • Aharon Varady (Cincinnati)--long time WIkipedia editor
    • Kevin Payravi (Ohio State University_ July 10 Wiknic planned on July 10
    • Mary Mark-Ockerbloom (Philadelphia)--met with U Penn Libraries to get people more involved in Wikipedia
    • Mel Ganus--Wikiconference USA at San Diego planning went really well, first editathon at San Diego Public Library--7 people--went well
    • Carwil Bjork-Jones (Vanderbilt)
    • Sage Ross--gearing up for a study of student learning--skills that students take away from Wikipedia classroom projects
    • Rosie Stephenson-Goodnight (Las Vegas)--getting over a cold, coming back from Milan, active in Women in Red, Women in Green, the Signpost, the Chapter Movement
    • Checkingfax (SF Bay) powering on with Bay Area WikiSalons once a month, will have one in July and will apply for a rapid grant to get food, planning to do a wiknic at Golden Gate Park
    • Andrew Lih (Wikimedia DC), rushing back from Wikimania
    • Rob Fernandez (academic librarian in FLorida) got back from GLAM Wiki Boot Camp and GLAM Diversity Conference
    • Lane Rasberry: if you are applying for grants, share with this group and we will help you out
    • Wikimedans of Colorado (Starbucks): Colorado will have a wiknic
    • Kirill L: Wikimedia DC: Organizing a ton of events, finished a ton of events
    • Sydney Poore: got Kentucky Wikimedians User Group started , traveled to the Diversity conference and Wikimania, and, started iEG grant, and posted the grant request for WikiConference North America


  • WIKIMANIA (Fuzheado)
    • Fuzheado, Sydney, Addis, Lane, Sage, Rosie, Pharos and Peaceray were there
    • Check out our Podcast at wikipediaweekly.org -- 1 hour wrap up
    • 1,000 attendees in an Italian village of 700 people
    • 2 Wikimedia US people named Wikipedians of the Year by Jimmy Wales
    • Katherine Maher named Executive Director of Wikimedia Foundation
    • Editathon at the end, positive experience, global community growing


  • GLAM AND DIVERSITY (6:50-6:55) (Fuzheado)
    • GLAM Wiki Bootcamp, Diversity Conference - lessons and implications for Wikicon
    • GLAM bootcamp successful, alumni spectacular trainers
    • based at International Archives
    • editathon training--led into the Diversity Conference--great intimate conversations and good interactions, but not a big turnout
    • Kevin says: went to GLAM bootcamp as an OSU student representative--wants to encourage librarians to put their primary source public domain documents online
    • Service credit for attendance at this conference is a fabulous idea


  • WIKNIC 2016 (6:55-7:00) (Pharos)
    • July is the season--if you have an event, put it on the webpage
    • will put banners up for four days before 7/9, and before 7/15
    • good opportunity to recruit possible Wikipedians who have library/university affiliations
    • put up your link by 7/7!


  • WIKI LOVES PRIDE
    • MOMA had a good turnout--great article made by students about HIV/AIDS in NYC
    • Twin Cities Wiki Loves Pride a success--created lots of new articles on prominent LGBT Minnesotans/locations/events
    • lots of folks taking photos of Pride Parades for Wikipedia Commons
    • wiki99 project for 100 LGBT articles to be translated in all languages


  • AfroCROWD, DC, NMAAHC, and perhaps other cities for September?
    • Wants to do an Wikipedia event with the National Museum of African American History and Culture in September (grand opening month)--the museum will pick what articles/topics they want to work on--will be part of their opening exhibits
    • If you have ideas, let us know


    • EDITATHON CAMPAIGNS: African-American history and culture (Sept)
  • October: Art and Artists of Latin America (Cisneros Foundation) MOMA, Venezuela, Mexico, Spain (Wiki Arte)--Cisneros may fund something in DC too
  • may tie in with Wiki Conference North America
  • November: multilingual online editathon, series of Smithsonian Asian-American editathons


  • WIKICONFERENCE USA (Sydney and Mel)
    • At Diversity Conference, a group met with Mel, carried over to Wikimania
    • Core group of 10 people to give Mel support to get the conference organized--Mel taking the lead on this
    • Grant proposal was submitted today for the conference
    • Wikimedia Foundation transitioning their grant program...will be in hiatus until August 1--perfect timing :)
    • Wants to change name to WIKICONFERENCE NORTH AMERICA due to proximity to Mexico, and wants to have Spanish language section, planning with Mexican Wikipedians
    • MEL SAN DIEGO UPDATE: solid relationship with San Diego Public LIbrary, met with them on Monday, everything still a solid go, library giving the conference space for free
    • Also has Balboa Park connection--(like a tiny Smithsonian!) will host whatever does not fit in the library
    • Now we need to start dividing up the work into chunks--big picture stuff getting done, now we need smaller scale items to get done--Robert Fernandez will let you into the Facebook planning group
    • A guy named Adam will handle catering for the conference
    • Library has offered to let us have the spaces after hours on Saturday and Sunday too--this is the wedding suite in San Diego, we can have some cool parties (like a costume party)--will require badges at the door--safe space been addressed
    • Q: Is there an official domain name w/email with that domain name? A: working on it--maybe wikiconnorte? wikicontinent.org? work on this on FB


  • WIKI ED (SAGE)
    • Demo of Wiki Ed dashboard for education programs
    • Ready for testing--can handle editathons and projects in any language, can track all stats on activities
    • The sooner we know that people are using it actively, the sooner we will be able to know what to improve
    • Want Wikimedia Foundation to make a long term commitment on this dashboard
    • If you are planning an event, try it out!


  • LEARN WIKI VIDEO PROJECT (PINE)
  • Work resuming during the summer


  • DECIDING ON A FORMAL NAME FOR THIS GROUP TO REPLACE "WALRUS" (PINE)
    • CHOICES: will put up a survey on MetaWiki and have people vote on these choices (maybe more):
  • WALRUS?
  • Wikimedia US Alliance?
  • Wikimedia US Coalition?
  • Wikimedia US Conference?
  • Wikimedia US Consortium?
  • Something else?
    • DISCUSSION without a vote yet--need a more publicly digestible name--Pine will create a discussion forum prior to vote


  • DO WE WANT TO REQUEST THE WIKIMEDIA.US DOMAIN NAME FROM THE WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION? THEY ARE NOT USING IT! (PINE)
  • Requesting the www.wikimedia.us domain from WMF
  • It will make information easier to find for outsiders
  • Can put info up there about upcoming conferences
  • Request for consensus or approval
  • We need to figure out what we want to do with this domain first before requesting it--need to write up a plan to send to WMF with the quest
  • Put a draft on meta to state what we want on the domain
  • We can put calendars, meeting notes, and other resources there
  • Level of interaction? "Announce-only" policy to limit the opportunities for harassment and other problems, or more open to encourage discussion?
  • Big concern is maintenance--have to come up with a plan for this


  • Kirill will sign everyone out at 10:25 pm
  • OTHER NOTES
  • BOOK YOUR HOTEL FOR WIKICONFERENCE USA NOW!!!
  • Boston and bootstrapping more GLAM
  • Glossy newsletter for external outreach/partners (eg. GLAM one pager on steroids commons:File:GLAM_One-Pager.pdf)
  • Rapid Grant for Wikipedia Space banner exhibit for Librarians, NYC, San Diego. Others? commons:File:WikipediaSpace SAAM 20160219 175001.jpg