|Helpful resources to learn more!|
|UN Recognition of Right to a Healthy Environment|
|Ask questions on the talk page or |
Email for help!
|See Other Contributions!|
|Create an Account|
|Edit an Article|
|Join the Community|
|Telegram · Twitter|
WikiForHumanRights 2023: Right to a Healthy Environment
The aim of the #WikiForHumanRights campaign is to make sure that everyone has access to neutral, fact-based, and current information around our Right to a Healthy Environment. The Right to a healthy environment is a legal right acknowledged by the UN, but also a way of connecting human rights and the triple planetary crisis we face: climate change, pollution, and biodiversity loss. As the UN Environmental Program highlighted: we need to make Peace with Nature, and human rights need to be at the center of the solutions.
The role of Wikipedia has never mattered more than now. Everyone everywhere needs access to information about how climate change or environmental degradation impacts their lives. We can increase knowledge about the healthy natural systems upon which all people rely for the water they drink, the air they breathe, the food they eat, and the resources they need. With #WikiForHumanRights this year, we are focusing on how local communities are impacted by the most pressing environmental issues in their context including the triple planetary crises identified by the UN of climate change, biodiversity loss and pollution.
Information plays a critical role in our shared ability to not only understand these interconnected crises but also mitigate the causes and adapt for a healthy future for all. Fulfilling the human right to a healthy environment empowers those most affected by environmental harms such as pollution, climate change, and biodiversity loss to defend the environment, participate in decision-making, and access justice and human rights protection. Filling gaps on Wikipedia about these topics, helps the public make the thousands of decisions needed to address these pressing environment crises.
Topics in focus:
When addressing the right to a healthy environment, the UN focuses on addressin the Triple Planetary Crises which includes:
- The importance of environmental justice, climate justice, and human rights centered approaches to local, national, and international action on the climate crisis
- Human wellbeing in the face of environmental damage caused by pollution, with a focus on the direct impact on other human rights (i.e. pollution and health, right to water, etc)
- Biodiversity and human rights — understanding how human wellbeing is dependent on a biodiverse natural ecosystem
The launch event on April 18 and 2023 writing contests has a special focus on pollution and toxic waste. Regional campaigns this year are each identifying knowledge and issues important to their local context.
- Global Campaign Activities (Content Drives such as edit-a-thons, translatathons, writing contest, photo walks etc; webinars; workshops and conferences) - April-June 2023
- Regional office hours - January-February 2023
- Capacity Building Sessions - February-March 2023
- Networking Session - February-June 2023
- International Launch Webinar - 17 April 2023
- International Writing Contest - 15 April-15 May 2023
- Youth Programming - February-April 2023
- Rapid Grant Application - Cycle 7 January-March 2023 with due deadline on 30 January and Cycle 8 March-May 2023 with due deadline on 20 March 2023. Please see further details here.