Wikimedians of Chicago User Group
The Wikimedians of Chicago User Group is a Wikimedia user group in the United States city of Chicago. This user group aims to organize the Wikimedia community in Chicago and its surrounding areas.
Objectives and activities
- Promote the use of Wikimedia projects by people in and around Chicago
- Organize in-person gatherings of Wikimedians in and around Chicago
- Help people in and around Chicago learn how to edit Wikimedia projects
- Combat systemic bias on Wikipedia and support the existing work of the Art + Feminism user group in Chicago
Prior to the formation of this user group, there had been intermittent Wikimedia events in Chicago between 2004–2017 through en:WikiProject Chicago by TonyTheTiger, events hosted through Loyola University by Keilana, and other events led by I JethroBT, and Airplaneman. These included regular edit-a-thons, meetups, and collaborations with institutions. One major partnership included training of interns and events with the Pritzker Military & Museum Library, which continues to function as a GLAM program focused on article creation and improvement. We aim to host regular meetups to forge regular working and social connections amongst editors in and around Chicago. Currently, we are not convinced that many editors in the region know each other well, and our work is quite isolated. The more we get to know each other, our work, and our skills, the more we are able to create a unified community of editors who can work together to develop successful events and projects.
Affiliations Committee Resolutions
- Wikimedians of Chicago User Group (July 2017)
Please use this wikipage's talk page to contact this group.
Interested in participating
- Airplaneman (talk · contribs)
- I JethroBT (talk · contribs)
- Mackenziesalisbury (talk · contribs)
- TonyTheTiger (talk · contribs)
- Victorgrigas (talk · contribs)
- Debaser42 (talk · contribs)