Wikimedia Conference 2013/Program Submissions

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Meetings[edit]

The meeting in Washington was a great chance to meet and sort out issue as they arose without streams of emails with all the possibilities of misunderstandings. I hope that a serious amount of time can be given to sharing progress and planning the future at the conference.Jon Davies WMUK (talk) 11:05, 31 January 2013 (UTC)

Continuation meeting of new, small and emerging chapters and thematic organizations. The meeting aims to determine the scope of assistance the chapters need.

  • Regional and Thematic Groups
    • Asia-Pacific Forum
    • Iberocoop

Ideas for Working groups[edit]

Note: these are just ideas proposed by individuals. At some point, someonetm will need to pick the topics for the actual program. This is traditionally done by no-onetm until the last minute, when a random bunch of vict--volunteers hacks up a pretty random selection. Let's not do that this time, eh?

For a start, I have boldly organized the existing proposals under rough headings I totally made up. Feel free to reject or re-arrange, but more importantly, let's figure out a way to consolidate, upvote, and otherwise pick what we'll be talking about in Milan. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 03:05, 26 February 2013 (UTC)

Programs[edit]

  • Wiki Loves Monuments
  • Wiki Loves Public Art
  • Program Evaluation: how evaluation can drive the impact of your chapter's programmatic activities. --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 00:09, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
  • debriefing of the Brussels Gathering --trmger 17:08, 21 February 2013 (UTC)
  • Some rather practical workshops/discussions:
    • How to organize a frequent meetings effectively
    • How to set up a small grants program
    • How to organize a photo event (1 day)
    • How to set up a national conference meeting (up to 250 people, 1 day)
  • Cooperation with government: how it turns your program into large scale. Jan Ainali (WMSE) (talk) 19:33, 9 April 2013 (UTC)

Tech[edit]

Organization, Governance, and Administration[edit]

  • Professionalisation - first employees / office
    • exchanging experiences
      • We are happy to share our experience on going from 0-6 employees in one year. We could start with a short talk and then moderate further discussion. Jan Ainali (WMSE) (talk) 19:12, 9 April 2013 (UTC)
  • Keeping a Chapter active
  • Scaling projects, inter-chapter collaboration. Abbasjnr (talk) 18:24, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
  • Chapters & WMF/WMF board - Challenges and thinking on to back to track --Itzike (talk) 09:19, 14 February 2013 (UTC)
  • Chapters coalition --Itzike (talk) 09:19, 14 February 2013 (UTC)
  • Communications internally and within the movement - reaching the right people efficiently Ziko (talk) 07:33, 20 February 2013 (UTC)
  • Bad practices or how to not start an organisation; aka what we can learn from the process of setting up the WCA. --Mglaser (talk) 23:38, 25 February 2013 (UTC)
  • Chapter peer review - first experiences (I hope I can get Fae to deliver that workshop :) ) --Mglaser (talk) 23:38, 25 February 2013 (UTC)
  • The Wikimedia UK Governance review: What are the lessons from Wikimedia UK's experience over the last year, and how can we use the report as a model of good practice for the movement? Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 11:21, 2 March 2013 (UTC)
  • Wikimedia Chapters need a secure alternative to Dropbox and Google Drive. What can be done in the mean time.--Thuvack (talk) 20:13, 3 March 2013 (UTC)
    • The importance of a good centralised filing system for a vibrant chapter.--Thuvack (talk) 20:15, 3 March 2013 (UTC)
    • The effect of a shared system in term of efficiency of usage of the donors money: do not repeat the costs and pay for the best --Charles Andrès (WMCH) 10:12, 22 March 2013 (UTC)
  • Brain storming & dating: Propose interchapter collaboration ideas
  • Practical: how to find non-fundraising funds to cover your budget and become more independent.
  • (returning every year) How to make communication between chapters and WMF more effective and pleasant.
  • The WCA Action Team "Research" Ziko (talk) 14:37, 29 March 2013 (UTC)

Funding[edit]

  • Reviewing Grant vs. FDC
  • Raising Money outside Wikimedia
    • EU projects
    • government programs
    • collaboration with businesses
    • Other philanthropic organization
    • Tax (this is not program - to differentiate with gov program above)
  • FDC process: roundtable between FDC member, staff and Chapters from the first round--Charles Andrès (WMCH) 16:28, 17 February 2013 (UTC)
    • FDC Feedback Session is planned for Sunday morning/noon (2-3 hours) --Nicole Ebber (WMDE) (talk) 22:03, 21 February 2013 (UTC)
      • The process for next year´s funding must start earlier, so the chapters will know their funding well in advance for coming year. This will most probably need that the process starts about three months earlier.--Historiker (talk) 18:57, 9 April 2013 (UTC) (WMSE)
  • Flow funding--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 10:58, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
  • GAC, FDC, IEG and Flow funding--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 11:04, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
  • Improving the work of GAC--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 11:04, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
  • Individual Engagement Grants--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 11:30, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
  • Conditions for long term operations: Financial commitments for grants over two years, rather than one year.--Historiker (talk) 18:57, 9 April 2013 (UTC) (WMSE)

Strategy and Global Perspectives[edit]

  • Is the Global South a valid socio-economic and political division for Wikimedia?
  • Chapters in the Global South Abbasjnr (talk) 17:17, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
  • Looking beyond chapters: other movement entities. Abbasjnr (talk) 17:17, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
  • Bridging the gap: just who is responsible for territories that lack a Wikimedia footprint? Abbasjnr (talk) 17:17, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
  • The role and mission of chapters in the Wikimedia universe --Mglaser (talk) 23:38, 25 February 2013 (UTC)
  • Chapters participation in non-Wikimedia global projects--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 11:00, 9 March 2013 (UTC)
  • A new ED for the Foundation: what is relevant from chapters perspective? --Mglaser (talk) 16:22, 28 March 2013 (UTC)

Topics[edit]

  • Toolserver Governance
  • CiviCRM
  • Barcamp
  • standards for Chapter accountability