User talk:The Land

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | português do Brasil | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | संस्कृतम् | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча | vèneto | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello The Land, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

mickit 09:45, 25 May 2011 (UTC)

Please fill out our brief Participation Support Program survey[edit]

Hello, the Wikimedia Foundation would like your feedback on the Participation Support Program! We have created a brief survey to help us better understand your experience participating in the program and how we can improve for the future. You are being selected to participate in our survey because you submitted or commented on Participation Support requests in the past.

Click here to be taken to the survey site.

The survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete. We really appreciate your feedback! And we hope to see you in the Participation Support Program again soon.

Happy editing,

Siko and Haitham, Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation.

This message was sent via Global message delivery on 21:47, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

Assistance with registering[edit]

Hi. I've left a comment on Talk:Boards_training_workshop_March_2014#Scholarships but I would like assistance registering myself and user:pi zero to attend using the registration page. We're both on the board of a thematic organization and professionalization is at the heart of our current planning. Both of us are planning to attend contingent funding from either WM-UK or WMF. Can you please assist us in registering? --LauraHale (talk) 20:31, 5 December 2013 (UTC)

Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitions[edit]

The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.

If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on

I'm notifying you because you participated in one of several relevant discussions. -Pete F (talk) 22:22, 20 August 2014 (UTC)

Nicely done[edit]

This is really well done, Chris. Thank you. While there's always room for refinement, I find it an inspirational approach and an inspirational idea. I'm trying to achieve some semblance of something called "work life balance" so I won't do it today, but I want to call this out on the staff mailing list on Monday for the benefit of those who don't read FB. I assume that's okay with you? (Mind you, somebody might beat me to it who has not yet decided to try this concept. ;)) --Maggie Dennis (WMF) (talk) 16:02, 27 February 2016 (UTC)

Yes, of course, that's fine. (And, I'm a wholehearted supporter of work-life balance :) ) Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 16:43, 27 February 2016 (UTC)


Hi Chris,

Thanks for your note - my question is extremely open-ended on purpose: I'd like the candidates to think this through and tell us what's going through their head. I'm updating my question to let them know that yes, it is a difficult one ^^ Cheers, Popo le Chien (talk) 11:07, 28 February 2016 (UTC)

OK - thanks. It will be useful for the candidates to know that you aren't driving at anything in particular. (I made a small edit which I think clarifies what you mean in the text you added, please just revert it if it doesn't) Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 11:13, 28 February 2016 (UTC)


Hi The Land, You have read this page [1]? After all, this conflict is associated with the organization of Wikimedia Armenia, particularly associated with the Susanna Petrosyan.--6AND5 (talk) 15:56, 2 March 2016 (UTC)


Hi. I converted WCA from a redirect to a disambiguation page. That's why the hatnote should no longer be necessary. If you really think a hatnote is needed on that page, I guess we can add one with modified text? But saying "'WCA' redirects here [...]" is no longer true. :-) --MZMcBride (talk) 00:22, 14 April 2016 (UTC)

Hi MZMcBride - ah yes I didn't spot that - makes sense now! Thanks.... 10:37, 14 April 2016 (UTC)
Heh, just happened again today. --MZMcBride (talk) 00:06, 8 November 2016 (UTC)

There are no kangaroos in Austria.[edit]

Dear Chris, there are no kangaroos in Austria. Just sayin'. Fortunately, some people know this. :D Delphine (WMF) (talk) 08:50, 19 October 2016 (UTC) (Braveheart you beat me to the correction!) Delphine (WMF) (talk) 08:50, 19 October 2016 (UTC)

I found the difference between Austria and Australia very confusing when I was five years old and see no reason to change my mind now. :) Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 08:59, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
HEHE. I can relate, as a non native speaker ;). Except... I lived in Austria! In any case, thanks a bunch for your questions! :D Delphine (WMF) (talk) 09:20, 19 October 2016 (UTC)

2017 Board Elections candidate interviews[edit]

Dear candidate,

Thank you for running for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees in this year's community elections. I am contacting you on behalf of the community podcasts Wikipedia Weekly and Source Code Berlin. We are sure you recognize the importance of transparency and a fully-informed community when it comes to these elections. To that end, we would like to conduct short audio interviews (under 30 minutes) with each of the candidates for publication in podcast form prior to the conclusion of the election. If you agree, we will contact you via email to coordinate the time and date of these interviews. Please let me know if you have any questions. Gamaliel (talk) 16:39, 2 May 2017 (UTC)

Hi @Gamaliel:! I would be delighted to take part, please do get in touch. On weekdays GMT I am mainly available between 1800 and 2200, though I might be able to squeeze this in before work or in a lunch-hour - at weekends I can be more flexible. Look forward to hearing from you! Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 17:36, 2 May 2017 (UTC)
Thank you for agreeing to our proposed candidate interviews, but we have decided that we will not be conducting them this year. We feel that Sunday's video interview has accomplished the goal of providing the community with exposure to the candidates and we are currently exploring ways that our potential election coverage can supplement and not duplicate that exposure. Gamaliel (talk) 18:45, 8 May 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for letting me know, Gamaliel! Let me know if you have any further questions for me as I'd be happy to discuss the election further. Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 18:47, 8 May 2017 (UTC)

Uncontrolled spending increases[edit]

(I am asking this question of all board candidates.)

In my essay at User:Guy Macon/Wikipedia has Cancer I make several proposals.

Whether of not you agree with the essay as a whole, would you be willing to propose and/or support any of the following?

  • Make spending largely transparent, publish a detailed account of what money is being spent on and answer any reasonable questions asking for more details. There is no need for you to remind us that some things cannot be published because of legal or privacy issues. I am asking whether we should be as open and transparent as possible, not asking the board to do something stupid or illegal.
  • Limit spending increases to no more than inflation plus some percentage (adjusted for any increases in page views). Are you willing to support any limit at all on spending growth, and if so roughly how much? 10%? 20%? 30%?
  • Build up our endowment and structure the endowment so that the WMF cannot legally dip into the principal when times get bad. There is no need to answer with something to the effect that either you or the WMF have good intentions. I am specifically asking whether you support making the endowment principle legally untouchable, allowing the WMF to only spend the endowment interest.

If we do these things now, in a few short years we could be in a position to do everything we are doing now, while living off of the endowment interest, and would have no need for further fundraising. Or we could keep fundraising, using the donations to do many new and useful things, knowing that whatever we do there is a guaranteed income stream from the endowment that will be large enough to keep the servers running indefinitely. --Guy Macon (talk) 14:40, 13 May 2017 (UTC)

Hi Guy! My answer to this covered some of the ground, but not all of it, so happy to fill out my answers to your specific questions.
  • Make spending “largely transparent”: Yes, broadly. In my answer on the main question, I said I wanted WMF to publish clearer and more granular financial information, which will further increase transparency to the community. WMF can also do more to align its spending with its priorities, some of the narrative they currently offer is a bit vague (below the standards I am used to from Wikimedia UK!).
  • Limits on growth. No, I'm not going to name a hard figure. Again, as I indicated in my previous answer, I do not think the Wikimedia movement is anywhere close to being "mission accomplished" and I think the WMF's funds are a significant (thought not actually the most important) factor in enabling us to achieve that mission. As to rates of growth, I think there are significant practical problems in the WMF attempting to grow any faster than it has been, connected to culture and institutional memory - but I still don't feel I have enough evidence to say I back a specific % limit.
  • Structure the endowment so WMF can’t draw down the principal. This sounds attractive, but we’d need to take care we weren’t creating a problem in 25 or 50 years time by doing this. In 50 years there are a very wide range of scenarios about how we are delivering our mission - for instance, “paying for servers” might be a quaint anachronism. If a structure can be found that achieves the core goal you've set out but also allows flexibility in the event of a radical change in circumstances, I would support that.
Hope this is helpful for you. Regards, Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 16:55, 13 May 2017 (UTC)
Very satisfactory answers. In case anyone cares what I think, I support your candidacy based on the above answers. --Guy Macon (talk) 03:17, 14 May 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for your support! Appreciate it! Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 08:38, 14 May 2017 (UTC)

Your question re FDC recommendation[edit]

Hello Chris - Just wanted to let you know that your question is not being ignored. Thanks very much for bringing it to the talk page, as it seems to be the most common concern in the off-wiki forums. If nobody else has responded to you by the time I get up tomorrow, I'll post then. Risker (talk) 06:16, 18 May 2017 (UTC)

Your opinion[edit]

Chris, you may not feel you want to, but if you have criticisms or comments on any of my propositions concerning the FDC in my rather long post at the bottom of that page, I'd be pleased to hear them. Tony (talk) 16:15, 19 May 2017 (UTC)

Hi Tony - will see how I'm doing with Wikitime this weekend to respond in detail, but broadly, yes I agree that one of the challenges the FDC and WMF grantmaking faces is how to make high-value decisions while reducing the burden of form-filling on applicants, and also reducing the costs (in money and volunteer time) of conducting reviews; and another is about communication between grant rounds. Certainly the WMF APG process has evolved over the last 5 years and these things have generally improved - though I'm not sure it's possible to see this that well unless one is actually involved in the process somehow. Regards, Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 16:24, 19 May 2017 (UTC)

Good luck![edit]

Hey Chris, I'd like to wish you all the best for the upcoming FDC election. It would be a pleasure and honor for me to serve with you. Warmly, --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 03:41, 29 May 2017 (UTC)

All the best for FDC election![edit]

Hey Chris! We were both you and I candidats for Board of Trustee. And now we're again candidats for FDC election. It will be a great honor for me to serve with you in the committee.--BamLifa (talk) 16:49, 29 May 2017 (UTC)

wikimedia-l awards[edit]

Re mailarchive:wikimedia-l/2017-October/088824.html, there's Wikimedia-l#Best_of, but it's usually awarded a few years later. ;-) --Nemo 16:15, 26 October 2017 (UTC)

Military history user group title[edit]

Greetings, firstly thanks for your support and feedback to the proposal to form a user group for military historians of Wikipedia. As there is enough support for the proposal, it is time to choose a title, and go ahead. Please vote at Talk:Discussion to incubate a user group for Wikipedia Military Historians#Group name. Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talkmail) 11:40, 2 January 2018 (UTC)

Community engagement survey for the Iceland Conference 2018[edit]

Commons Photographers User Group
Hello The Land,

As your username is indicated in the list of the members of the Commons Photographers User Group, you are kindely invited to answer this survey in the order to shape the upcoming Iceland Conference 2018 and help the organizing team.
Thanks! --Dyolf77

Icon tools.svg User Group page | Nuvola apps email.png Leave a message to the user group

Template Wizard script available for testing[edit]

Hello. I'm contacting you because you voted for the Infobox Wizard in the 2017 Community Wishlist Survey.

The Infobox Wizard has gotten an upgrade - it's now a Template Wizard which works for infoboxes and all other templates. The feature is being developed as an extension (which will allow for localization) but there is a prototype user script which works well.

The Wishlist Team would love it if you could take a few minutes to try the Template Wizard prototype script out and give us feedback on whether it lives up to your expectations. This feedback will help build the script into an extension. To get started, add the following to your Special:MyPage/common.js -

mw.loader.load( '' );

The Template Wizard will show up as a puzzle-piece icon in the 2010 WikiEditor. You can click on the icon to insert a template. Your thoughts are needed on whether it makes sense for the wizard to be available for all users by default or if there should be a preference for it. If it's a preference, what should the default be? Please leave your feedback here. Thank you! -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 22:41, 28 March 2018 (UTC)

Wiki Loves Food[edit]

Curd Rice

Hello! After the successful pilot program by Wikimedia India in 2015, Wiki Loves Food (WLF) is happening again in 2018 and this year, we are going International. To make this event a grant success, your direction is key. Please sign up as a volunteer or sign up on behalf of your affiliate here.--Abhinav619 (talk) 16:12, 27 April 2018 (UTC)

JSTOR account redistribution (The Wikipedia Library)[edit]

Hi - according to our records you received a free account for JSTOR through The Wikipedia Library. Because we’ve used up all of our allocated accounts, and it’s been some time since they were distributed, we want to redistribute any accounts that aren’t being used to users on our waitlist.

If you’re still using, or plan to use, your JSTOR access, no problem! Simply head over to the Library Card platform, log in, and request a renewal of your account. You should be able to do this from your user page, or the JSTOR signup page. If you can’t find the renewal button, or have any other issues or questions about this, please feel free to leave a message on my talk page. We’ll begin redistributing inactive accounts in September; if you request renewal after then we will only be able to reactivate your account if we have spots remaining. Thanks, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:32, 20 August 2018 (UTC)

The Community Wishlist Survey[edit]


You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

Thank you for helping to create the Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy Recommendations[edit]

Wikimedia 2030 Celebration Image Wikimedia 2030
Thank you very much for everything you did to help create the Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy Recommendations! I am especially grateful for the enormous amount of work you did in the Roles & Responsibilities working group and all the care and commitment you brought to the process. --Nicole Ebber (WMDE) (talk) 15:42, 25 June 2020 (UTC)

Re: Salary band disclosure in job ads[edit]

When I was in the Wikimedia Italia board, I always insisted on clarifying beforehand what "inquadramento contrattuale" we were expecting. In Italy we have to place people in a national contract and a specific class within it; if you mention the class you have in mind, you're giving a rather precise information on the approximate wage. For instance wmit:Ricerca collaboratori/2018/Responsabile delle collaborazioni istituzionali said "CCNL Federculture, B2". Nemo 10:37, 14 September 2020 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 15:09, 4 January 2021 (UTC)

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

Following the regular call, in SWAN after hours: Wikimedia Meet Jitsi social event with brainstorming for possible Nano Charter ideas, plus any other topics.

--Pharos (talk) 18:02, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday March 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Community as a hand-carved gem.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, and February SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Grants relaunch, Universal Code of Conduct/Discussions, Wikimedia Enterprise / OKAPI, Community Board seats, Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday March 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although some places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 19:46, 17 March 2021 (UTC)