This is a short summary overview of the Source pages on Meta from 11th to 21st May of Cycle 2 discussion. Shortcuts used here rely on the established language and project code and languages are grouped alphabetically. For example, the Arabic language Wikipedia is Ar. To provide a rough sense of activities on the projects and platforms the Source pages summarize, the full summary by community text indicates how many source statements were available and therefore taken into account at the time of writing. (3s), for example, means 3 statements were available on the referenced source page at the time the summary was drafted.
- Theme key
- Healthy, inclusive communities
- The augmented age
- A truly global movement
- The most trusted source of knowledge
- Engaging in the knowledge ecosystem
Healthy, inclusive communities - A
- On the Arabic Community discussion some users agreed that theme A is an important one but they also think it should not be our priority, (§Ar2) while other think that a potential tool to help increase community's health could be to unify policies across wikis (§Ar3) .
- On the English Wikipedia discussion they said we could lead the way in collaborative, online digital humanities, (§EN1) With training and leadership, build self-sustaining teams to solve problems.(§EN3) , they also mentioned clique, cooperation (§EN4) and building tools to track changes and learn how various policies change the healthiness of our community. (§EN11)
- French Wikipedia discussion (4s) focused on theme A and one user said that the impact would be positively huge (§FR1) , get Wikimedia projects to known to each other better,(§FR2) make projects more inter-connected (§FR3) and know more about other languages and cultures.(§FR4)
- On the German Language Wikipedia while one participant commented on theme A that strategically it is important (§DE1) and another participant preferred a strategy for the next 5 years or shorter instead of 13 years or so.(§DE2) Rest of the participants who commented on theme A have some concerns such as power structure of WMF, (§DE11) phrasing,(§DE12) productive dissent (§DE13) and suggested that the text of this theme ought to be restructured, structured into single measures.(§DE16)
- On the Italian Wikipedia some of the contributors think that theme A is important because it is the engine/heart of everything Wikipedia was and should be (§IT4) and by having a healthy community we could also be a good political example for others.(§IT3)
- On the Meta wiki participants commented on theme A that it is the foundation of other themes, (§Meta1) suitable to Wikipedia, (§Meta2) WMF can support diversity financially, (§Meta5) , some users also suggested to collaborate with other organizations. (§Meta14) (§Meta15)
- On the Polish Wikipedia theme A discussion focused on simplification of language, (§PL3) stronger technical support for devoted Wikipedians (§PL8) , examination of conscience (§PL9) though one participant fear that it is not clearly stated. (§PL4)
- On the Wikidata they commented if we follow theme A our data would be improved in terms of diversity and quality, (§DATA1) they also think it should be the primary goal. (§DATA4)
The augmented age - B
- On the English Wikipedia discussion they stressed that with automation, we could drive out inadequately sourced content, provide better-sourced content, and be more reliable;(§EN13) they also fear that if we don't keep up with the state-of-the-art, then some other organization will likely leapfrog Wikipedia.(§EN17) Though some users said, We should be reliable and free to all rather than state of the art. (§EN19) This theme may also be the driving factor of other themes (§EN21) , Partnership is also essential for this theme, because help from people proficient in AI would save a lot of our time. (§EN28)
- On the Italian Wikipedia participants discussed that technological improvements are necessary especially tool improvements for blind and visually impaired people and (§IT15) (§IT26) development of easy mobile interface (§IT17) (§IT18) (§IT19) and some kind of integration among OpenStreetMap, Wikidata and Commons.(§IT27)
- On the Meta regarding theme B they commented that it should not be our primary goal, (§Meta16) this theme might impact meta. (§Meta19) Some users also voiced that we should improve quality first (§Meta21) while others suggested that if we want to stay relevant in the future world we should give importance to this theme. (§Meta22)
- On the Spanish Wikipedia if we follow theme B we could achieve quality automatic translations, apply Wikidata to education, (§ES4) and they think that it is the most relevant theme. (§ES3) Both closed and open training, supplementary or extension activities (§ES5) , education (§ES6) should be developed to improve this theme.
- On the Wikidata, the discussion on theme B focused on data mining, tools,(§DATA9) and virtual reality. (§DATA10)
A truly global movement - C
- On the Arabic Community discussion some suggested that Wikimedia Foundation should also fund and host specific study to explore the motives of Wikipedia contributors from emerging communities.(§Ar4)
- On the English Wikipedia discussion they also emphasized coverage, development of Wikipedia content, (§EN29) outreach (§EN33) , new approach (§EN34) and awareness (§EN31) .
- On the Italian Wikipedia participants think in order to become a truly global movement we should invest more resources in emerging countries (§IT5) and social environment of our projects be improved. (§IT14) Failed projects should be closed (§IT29) and translation tool should be improved. (§IT31)
- On the Meta there were various suggestions regarding theme C such as new project creation, (§Meta30) focusing on global south, (§Meta32) community support, (§Meta33) (§Meta34) collaborations, (§Meta37) reducing the irrelevant weight and (§Meta39) (§Meta40) giving read only access to tor projects (§Meta42) .
- On the Polish Wikipedia main opinions on theme C were if more people can access knowledge it will bring people together, (§PL1) original input in local languages (§PL2) and better translation tool. (§PL6)
- On the Spanish Wikipedia on theme C someone thinks that aspiration is very attractive at a theoretical level but hard and slow to achieve in practice (§ES1) (§ES5) (§ES7) and priority should be less (§ES8) . Spanish speaking community - Telegram group focused on theme C and they said that prioritize English in everything need to be stopped. (§ES1) (§ES5) (§ES7)
- On the Wikidata, If we follow theme C we'll have diversity on our organization. (§DATA13) they also discussed about way of approach, (§DATA15) UX (§DATA16) and empiric experiments. (§DATA18)
The most trusted source of knowledge - D
- On the English Wikipedia discussion most users talked about theme D and they think it should be priority.(§EN47) (§EN48) (§EN49) . They also discussed about GLAM partnership (§EN56) , reliability (§EN54) (§EN55) , verifiability (§EN56) and collaboration.(§EN62) (§EN63)
- On the German Language Wikipedia one Participant on theme D discussion said that Wikipedia cannot be a source, (§DE17) though another participant disagreed (§DE18) . One user thinks it is too ambitious but achievable (§DE19) . There are few other comments on overall thematic statements and they have some serious concerns about these themes.(§DE2) (§DE4) (§DE5) (§DE6) (§DE7) (§DE8) (§DE9)
- On the Italian Wikipedia participants discussed, we should be less inclusive (§IT35) and have to work to improve our reliability (§IT24) .
- On the Polish Wikipedia, participants discussed on theme D pointed out that we should avoid knowledge imperialism (§PL12) and established as most trusted source of knowledge is nearly impossible. (§PL13)
- On the Spanish Wikipedia, we could build trust among others if we follow theme D (§ES10) , participants also believe that it is an important topic. (§ES11) (§ES16) They suggested that we should promote our projects (§ES13) and chapters can help to put this theme into action. (§ES14)
- On the Wikidata, by following theme D we can bring people from all language backgrounds together, (§DATA21) host high quality knowledge (§DATA22) and simplify our language. (§DATA25)
Engaging in the knowledge ecosystem - E
- On the Arabic Community discussion users stressed that theme E is the most important theme for the fact that it has the potential to combine the other four all together (§Ar6)
- On the Italian Wikipedia participants discussed that Wikipedia should continue not to accept original research (§IT23) though people often do but it's dangerous for us (§IT22) because we do not have editorial control which is capable of dealing with it.(§IT23)
- On the Polish Wikipedia, on theme E they commented that Wikipedia should be neutral and cover less popular content even if it is not liked by experts (§PL7) and should continue NPOV (§PL14) .
- On the Wikidata, regarding theme E some participants commented that Wikidata can't play a significant role in education, because it has no space for explanations, (§DATA28) to improvise we have to provide a coherent knowledge (§DATA29) by controlling our content in a more strict way. (§DATA31)