কৌশল/উইকিমিডিয়া আন্দোলন/২০১৮-২০ /কার্যকারী দল
Members of the nine working groups concluded their task of drafting recommendations for structural changes on November 1, 2019.
A first iteration of the draft recommendations was shared in August 2019 for community feedback and reflection. This feedback from online movement stakeholders as well as in-person events prior to, during, and after Wikimania, including many strategy salons and two regional summits, helped the working groups shape the second iteration of their recommendations, which you can access below.The focus over the next few months will be on synthesizing these 89 recommendations to develop one set, a product that is concise, coherent and accessible. To do this work, new roles have been discussed and a new working group is currently being formed, comprised of thematic area working group members interested and able to continue contributing.
- ১ কার্যকরী দলগুলির দৃষ্টিভঙ্গি
- ২ Working Group structures and set-up
- ৩ Support options
- ৪ Working Group procedures
- ৫ Thematic Areas
কার্যকরী দলগুলির দৃষ্টিভঙ্গি
আমাদের বিশ্ব সম্প্রদায়ের ৯০ জন সদস্য জুলাই ২০১৮ এ নয়টি কার্যনির্বাহী দল গঠন করেছে। এই প্রক্রিয়াটির কেন্দ্রবিন্দুতে রয়েছে এই কার্যনির্বাহী গোষ্ঠীগুলি; তারা এই পরিবর্তনের ধারক। প্রতিটি কার্যনির্বাহী দল এই আন্দোলনের নয়টি মূল বিষয়ভিত্তিক ক্ষেত্রগুলির মধ্যে একটিতে নিজেকে উত্সর্গ করেছে, অণুবীক্ষণীয় দৃষ্টিতে সদস্যরা, এটি কীভাবে ২০৩০ সালে দেখাতে পারে তা অনুসন্ধান করে এবং একটি নির্ধারিত প্রশ্নগুচ্ছ চূড়ান্ত করবে। এই প্রশ্নের উত্তরগুলি কাঠামোগত পরিবর্তনের জন্য সুপারিশগুলির ভিত্তি তৈরি করবে যাতে আমরা সফলভাবে এবং দৃঢ়তার সাথে আমাদের কৌশলগত দিকনির্দেশকে এগিয়ে নিতে পারি।
- Each Working Group is working on:
- Scope - map the present situation of the thematic area, the obstacles and opportunities, using all the data already collected over the years and further research if needed. Identify the changes needed and build a case to explain why these changes help us progress in our Strategic Direction.
- Recommendations - identify possible strategies for making these changes and develop concrete recommendations for the movement on how to ratify and implement them.
- Implementation - advise on and iterate changes based on the recommendations.
- Working Groups are there to complement existing movement structures, and not to create redundancies. The groups are not decision-making bodies themselves, but will develop recommendations as a basis for decision-making.
- Each group represents the diversity of the movement, as well as the diversity of skills and experience needed to work on the respective thematic area.
- Connection and collaboration between Working Groups is essential. Working Group coordinators will identify collaboration needs and opportunities, as well as to actively maintain collaborations across groups via a Steering Group.
- The Core Team will be prototyping and improving the Working Group method as we use it, so that it fits the movement’s needs and culture. Feedback is always welcome.
Working Group structures and set-up
In June 2018, a Steering Committee supported the Core Team with selecting the Working Group members, and groups were established in June-September 2018. Members of the Working Groups are expected to act in the interest of the movement, not in the interest of their own organization or community.
Each Working Group decides how to organize their work, and the Core Team provides guidance and support on a process level. The ideal group size is 10-15 members, and those members have to represent diverse perspectives and roles within our movement. We have a mix of staff and board members from Organized Groups as well as Individual Contributors in the groups. Additional members are welcome to apply and can be appointed throughout the process, depending on the changing needs of each group.
Working Groups are supported in communicating with the movement via reports, community conversations, participation at events and meetings, and publication of updates or results of their work on their meta pages. To ensure communication across Working Groups, a Steering Group has been formed.
The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation is committed to the Movement Strategy process and each member has joined one of the Working Groups.
Working Groups will be supported by the Core Team of the Strategy Process, with the Information and Knowledge Manager being the main point of contact. Support includes logistics such as scheduling calls, note taking and summarizing of meetings, creation of templates and toolkits to be used in structuring and designing the workflow of the Working Groups, as well as management of information flows to enable Working Groups to have informed discussions and make informed decisions. The Information & Knowledge Management team will also ensure that the progress of Working Group discussions will be shared with the wider movement in a timely manner.
In addition to that, support for facilitation, travel, translation, research or training can be arranged with the Core Team according to the needs of each Working Group.
Working Group procedures
- Application page
- Selection process and criteria
- Working Groups timeline
- Guidelines for replacement of inactive members
- Representation at events
- Working Groups advisors
The key thematic areas have evolved from conversations we have had in our movement for years, for example in various Wikimedia Conference sessions and group discussions on governance, resources, diversity, partnerships, etc. For each of these areas, the Core Team has mapped the focus and a couple of core questions that need to be answered to enable us to fulfil the Wikimedia mission and advance us in the Strategic Direction. The key questions these Working Groups are addressing all focus on the structural level, not on programmatic work. Many of those questions have been persistent over the years; they are enduring questions. For the first time, we do not only have a process to answer them, we also have a mandate and the necessary resources. Click on the name of the thematic area to read more:
|Thematic area||Draft description||Mailing list|
1 During the Wikimedia Conference 2018, the Working Group “Roles & Responsibilities” proposed “Power Dynamics” as a title instead. As power is only a part of the broader conversation around global, regional and local responsibilities and roles, and we wouldn’t want the group to only concentrate on this aspect, and the Strategy Core Team decided to keep the original name.
2 At Wikimedia Conference 2018 this Working Group was named "Technology", but after some consideration regarding the extensive scope of the group, the Core Team has decided to rename the group to "Product & Technology".