WALRUS is a monthly online meeting for Wikimedia community organizers in the United States to discuss and collaborate on events and outreach of national interest.
Join the pan-USA Wikimedia local activists' chat on Monday April 27 2020 at 6:00 PM Pacific / 9:00 PM Eastern.
Zoom videoconference information
Chair & secretary for this month
- Meeting host for Zoom: Pharos
- Meeting secretary for minutes: (TBC)
- review agenda - what do people want to discuss?
- seriously - speak up, let's throw out this entire agenda
- An announcement: Open Publishing Festival May 18-29, call for sessions. Adam Hyde, the main organizer, will hopefully join this call briefly.
- WikiConference North America online
- let's do this
- logistics / labor considerations
- Wikipedia Weekly
- Who wants to do live broadcast?
- Custom channel on YouTube (https://youtube.com/c/wikipediaweekly)
- Open to program ideas - 5 minute training, gadgets/preferences, Wikidata tools, tips/tricks
- Open to participants - help us plan shows, document topics for better discoverability
- from last time and still hot topics - any call for discussing these more?
- Community Resources/COVID-19 Notice and WMF policy
- Wikimedia Summit 2020 - update
- global event cancellations
- WikiProject remote event participation and alternatives
- Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20 and beyond - update
- Communications/Wikimedia brands/2030 movement brand project and "Wikipedia"/"Wikimedia" - update by Rosiestep
- w:Wikipedia:WikiProject COVID-19 w:Category:2020 coronavirus outbreak in the United States
- Wikimedia Foundation things
- rumor? - cancellation of 2020 board elections
- not posted but see Talk:Wikimedia Foundation elections/2020
- recap - the Wikimedia community in a general election elects 3 of 10 of the board of trustees
- for various reasons, COVID-19, the 3 people (James, Maria, Dariusz) will get another year
- okay: delay because of crisis, if necessary. protect: right to vote, community voice
- thoughts? verification?
- Wikimedia Foundation globally runs US political group ad on Earth Day
- general mood - mistakes happen, but why does WMF make advertising decisions without community discussion?
- anything to say?