Wiki Movement Brazil User Group/Report/2015
2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020 • 2021
• • • • •
Universidade Federal de Uberlândia
Faculdade Cásper Líbero
- A project on classical Brazilian movies was produced with undergraduate students within a course on Political Science and Multimedia. Details available here. The User Group was present with Joalpe.
- here. The User Group was present with Joalpe and Sturm.
- Institutional partner: Ashoka
Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz
- An Education Program on Evolution and Scientific Knowledge for Biology undergraduate students was supported by Ixocactus during the second term.
- More details here.
Edit-a-thon: Museu do Amanhã
- Rio de Janeiro, January 23rd, 2015
This edit-a-thon was a partnership with the Museu do Amanhã (Museum of Tomorrow), the newest museum in the city of Rio de Janeiro to be inaugurated in the next months. The main subject was the "Anthropocene" and it gathered members of the museum team, enthusiasts and the volunteers of the User Group Vinicius Siqueira and Fábio Barros.
Edit-a-thon da Minas
On July 18th took place in Salvador another edition of the "Edit-a-thon das Minas", an opportunity to editors engage on writing about women in Wikipedia. The event was held by the Raul Hacker Club and organized and supported by our group with Geisasantos, Raylton and Teles. This is another initiative targeting the Gender Gap.
The "Editathon das Minas" in São Paulo took place on 31 October 2015. It gathered some 15 people in downtown São Paulo to edit multiple topics about women, women's rights and related themes. The event was organized by Think Olga, a notorious Brazilian feminist organization, with support by Farofa Studios, a company that designs games, books and animations for children. 5 volunteers were there to teach the newbies the basics of editing Wikipedia, besides showing them the principles of the project. They also stayed there until the end to give support to the newbies, teaching them how to upload images, find and cite sources, determine the notability of a subject, etc. One of the finest articles created there was Chega de Fiu Fiu, about a Brazilian anti-harassment campaign.
Edit-a-thon on Brain Science
Organization of an edit-a-thon on brain science, in the context of the First Workshop of NeuroMat's Young Researchers, in collaboration with the Research, Innovation and Dissemination Center for Neuromathematics, at the University of São Paulo. A brief description was made available here. A short movie was produced by the University of São Paulo communication crew (in Portuguese), here. The User Group was present with Sturm, Moretti and Joalpe.
Participation in third parties' events
Campus Party 2015
- São Paulo, February 5th and 6th, 2015
Beginning in 2015, the User Group, via Célio Costa Filho and João Peschanski, presented at Campus Party an experience revolving around using Wikimedia projects within educational settings. Moreover, a permanent table to introduce people to Wikimedia Commons and to teach how to upload pictures was set. Campus Party is one of the major events on technology in the world and count with thousands of attendees daily. Other three members were also present there: Vinicius Siqueira, Vitor Mazuco, Victor Lopes.
X Neotropical Ornithology Congress e XXII Congresso Brasileiro de Ornitologia
- Manaus, July 19th to 24th
This is the first off-wiki activity of Ixocactus, that presented and participated in a round table about Citzen Science with several iniciatives (National Audubon Society, Instituto Butantan, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Wikiaves e UFLA) dedicated to dissemination of scientific knowledge about neotropical birds.
ARede permanent space
The User Group has obtained a permanent space in the web portal on technology and education ARede. Pieces that were published in 2015:
- "Mas… é confiável?", May 19.
- "A Biblioteca da Wikipédia", April 15.
- "A produção entre pares: um pilar da wiki-pedagogia", March 17.
- "Em defesa da wiki-pedagogia", January 30.
- "Após Enem, filósofa francesa ganha acusações de nazista e pedófila na Wikipédia". BBC Brasil. October, 2015.
- "Busca por uma teoria matemática do cérebro reúne jovens cientistas na USP". USP online. May, 2015.
Empresa Brasileira de Comunicação
During the end of 2015, in December, UG Wikimedia in Brazil runned out a number of advocacy activities to promote the use of open licenses, mainly for photographic content. One of our main results came from the series of contacts made with to the Empresa Brasil de Comunicação, aka EBC, a Brazilian government-owned corporation, created in 2007 to manage the government's radio and television stations. So, after our advocacy approach EBC decided to use once again a open licence (before that they had changed their licence to non compatible one) for their photos and allowed therefore, the use of tens of thousands of photos of great relevance encyclopaedic inside project such Commons and Wikipedia, including numerous high quality photos of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, which took place in Brazil during the following year. Its relevant to note that theses photos are properly authorized by the International Olympic Committee. Now, we have a increasing category on Commons here.
- João Alexandre Peschanski, Mariana Diello and Marília Carrera, "Wikipédia em sala de aula: uma revisão bibliográfica", to be published in SANTANA, B.; PRAZERES, M. Tecnologias digitais no ensino superior. Faculdade Cásper Líbero, forthcoming.