Wikidata (www.wikidata.org, Wikipedia article) is a Wikimedia hosted and maintained project launched in 2012 that aims to create a free knowledge base about the world that can be read and edited by humans and machines alike. It will provide data in all the languages of the Wikimedia projects and allow for the central access to data in a similar vein as Wikimedia Commons does for media files.
It enables central management of interwiki links located in the sidebar, between projects' language versions and across projects covering given subjects, which was previously implemented through individual interwiki links at page bottoms.
- Wikidata.org – this is the production website.
- Wikidata test site
- Introduction – offers a non-technical introduction to the goals of the Wikidata project proposal.
- FAQ – answers some of the most frequently asked questions.
- Development – offers an overview of the current development work.
- Contribute – shows how you can help.
- Glossary – is a list of terms used around Wikidata and their explanation.
Impact on Wikipedia
Wē efenwyrcaþ to dōnne þrīe hefga þing:
- Belīmende spræc bendas
- Maciende middelgemæru for gefrǣgebox gefrǣge for eallum Wikipǣdias
- Scieppende and innīwiende gewrit trametas longre gefrǣge on Wikigefrǣge
We are posting regular summaries of the activities around Wikidata on Status updates.
Wikidata is currently the largest Wikimedia project, with over 90 million content pages.