Wikidata (www.wikidata.org) aims to create a free knowledge base about the world that can be read and edited by humans and machines alike. It will provide data in all the languages of the Wikimedia projects and allow for the central access to data in a similar vein as Wikimedia Commons does for multimedia files. Wikidata is a new Wikimedia hosted and maintained project.
- Wikidata.org – this is the production website.
- Wikidata test site
- Introduction – offers a non-technical introduction to the goals of the Wikidata project proposal.
- FAQ – answers some of the most frequently asked questions.
- Development – offers an overview of the current development work.
- Contribute – shows how you can help.
- Glossary – is a list of terms used around Wikidata and their explanation.
Impact on Wikipedia
We are working on three major things:
- Centralizing language links
- Providing a central place for infobox data for all Wikipedias
- Creating and updating list articles based on data in Wikidata
We are posting regular summaries of the activities around Wikidata on Status updates.
Wikidata is currently the second largest Wikimedia project, with over 80 million content pages. Wikimedia Commons is the first.