To be involved
The only special thing of this event is to create or improve a Wikipedia article with a focus on creation of articles such as “Climate in African countries. Africa Environment Day / Wangari Maathai Day is divided into two main parts; the campaign and the training.
You can get involved by participating in this campaign:
- Africa Environment Wikifocus – March 3, 2023
You can also get involved by participating in the training sessions which will be organized during this campaign.
Note that you can participate as an individual, an organized group/institution, a user group or an affiliate.
Join & participate
Why should I participate?
After realizing that the stories about contents about Africa's continent mostly told and written by those who are not Africans, this leads us to analyze the content of the English Wikipedia articles, we found out that only a handful of African countries had a dedicated article about Climate, and when there was one, it was usually very short (check Climate of Nigeria). In the large majority of cases, the only information about climate of a country is a small paragraph in the country article and in the Geography article (check Geography of Togo). In a few cases, there is absolutely zero information about the climate of the country (check Burundi).
In comparison, many countries of other part of the world have a very detailed article about the climate of their country (check Climate of the United States), or about climate change impact in their country (check Climate change in France).
This is why we suggested that after the month of March, most African countries would benefit from an article about their climate and/or about climate change. You may find below a table to help you identify the gaps. Please create climate articles, or improve the current stubs.
Please Join up to 3 scheduled organizer online events: a launch celebration + mid-session update and sharing + final meeting to celebrate and reflect on the initiative.
How to join?
I am a participant
Sign if interested
- Kossi Evenunye Videke (talk) 11:33, 3 February 2023 (UTC)
- Anthere (talk) 19:06, 3 February 2023 (UTC)
- Akwugo (talk) 22:09, 8 February 2023 (UTC)
- Onwuka Glory (talk) 23:58, 8 February 2023 (UTC)
- Omorodion1 (talk) 18:35, 9 February 2023 (UTC)
- Bukky658 (talk) 12:20, 10 February 2023 (UTC)
- Macocobovi (talk) 2:53, 10 February 2023 (UTC)
- Romeo Ronald Lomora (talk) 2:53, 12 February 2023 (UTC)
- Rafkoya (talk) 13:18, 15 February 2023 (UTC)
- Aman ADO (talk) 11:36, 16 February 2023 (UTC)
- Sichelesile (talk) 13:48, 19 February 2023 (UTC)
- Accuratecy051 (talk) 07:14 28 February 2023 (UTC)
- Germain92 (talk) 18:35, 21 February 2023 (UTC)
- Ebubechukwu1 (talk) 09:20, 1 March 2023 (UTC)
- Tea4life (talk) 11:40, 1 March 2023 (UTC)
- Cbrescia (talk) 19:18, 1 March 2023 (UTC)
- El-hussain14 (talk) 11:04, 2 March 2023 (UTC)
- ReoMartins (talk) 12:00, 6 March 2023 (UTC)
- Dnshitobu (talk) 07:14, 7 March 2023 (UTC)
- Sayd224 (talk) 07:21, 7 March 2023 (UTC)
- Alice.Mukesh (talk) 07:21, 7 March 2023 (UTC)
- Godstime Elijah (talk) 08:47, 7 March 2023 (UTC)
- Abatagatifu (talk) 10:49, 7 March 2023 (UTC)
- DirkVE (talk) 08:04, 9 March 2023 (UTC)
- Lunita28mx (talk) 04:31, 11 March 2023 (UTC)
- Rockgool262 (talk) 04:35, 11 March 2023 (UTC)
- VALENTIN NVJ (talk) 12:21, 13 March 2023 (UTC)
- M Bash Ne (talk) 18:41, 16 March 2023 (UTC)
- G11974 (talk) 00:35, 17 March 2023 (UTC)
- Ferdinand IF99 (talk) 10:04, 18 March 2023 (UTC)
- Serieminou (talk) 20:50, 18 March 2023 (UTC)
- Baah Thomas (talk) 19:32, 21 March 2023 (UTC)
After a call for grant application, only 10 countries will be selected basing on listed criteria, if you have been selected and you still intend to host specific events, lead local actions and you know for sure that you'll be able to participate, please list your chapter, your user group, or your country below. If you see a mistake in that table, please fix it!
|Community / Affiliate||Contact person||Country||Will you participate?||Local link page||Project landing page|
|Gurene Wikimedia Community||Dnshitobu||Ghana||Yes||Project landing Page|
|Wikimedia Guinée Conakry||Sayd224||Guinée||Yes|
|Nigerian Wikimedians for Sustainable Development||Godstime Elijah||Yes||Event Page|
|Igbo Wikimedians User Group||Kingsley Nkem||Yes||Event page|
|Wikimedia Community Kilimanjaro||Justine Msechu||Tanzania||Yes|
|Wikimedia RDC||VALENTIN NVJ||DR Congo||Yes|
|Wikimedia Botswana||Oteng Tiro Sandra Kolobetso||Botswana||Yes|
|Wikimedia Burundi||Ferdinand IF99||Burundi||Yes|
|Wiki For Senior Citizents Network||Oby Ezeilo||Nigeria||Yes||Dashboard|
|Kumasi Wikihub & Eco-Warriors Movement||Baah Thomas||Ghana||Yes||Dashboard|
|Wikimedians of Cameroon||Serieminou||Cameroon||Yes||Dashboard|