Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bassel Khartabil là ai?
- Bassel Khartabil was a Palestinian-Syrian open source software developer and Wikipedia volunteer.
- He was an early and frequent, if anonymous, editor on the Arabic Wikipedia. He also contributed to Mozilla Firefox, and built and led the Creative Commons Syria project; his work on the adoption of Arabic-language Creative Commons licences has been described as "pivotal."
- Bassel was a widely recognised as a leading figure among the developing internet community in Syria, and was a recipient of the 2013 Digital Freedom Award presented annually by the non-profit Index on Censorship. In 2012, he was also named by the Foreign Policy magazine as one of the Top Global Thinkers for "insisting, against all odds, on a peaceful Syrian revolution.”
Chuyện gì đã xảy ra?
- Bassel was arrested by Syrian military intelligence forces on 15 March 2012. Since that time, he has been held in prison without trial or charge, and has suffered severe torture and mistreatment at the hands of the Syrian prison personnel, including an 8-month period of solitary confinement.
- In December 2012, Bassel was brought before a military prosecutor. During his short hearing, Bassel was unable to present his defence nor was he allowed access to legal representation. Afterwards, he was placed at Adra Prison on the outskirts of Damascus to await trial.
- On 3 October 2015, Bassel was moved from his civilian cell at Adra Prison to an undisclosed location, and has not been heard of since. In November, unconfirmed reports have surfaced from his family that he might have been sentenced to death by a secret Military Field Court, without right of appeal. In August 2017, it was revealed that Khartabil had been executed by the Syrian regime shortly after his disappearance in 2015.
Ai kêu gọi chính quyền Syria trả tự do cho Bassel?
- In April 2015, the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention called for Bassel's immediate release from prison, and described his continued detention as "arbitrary." The Group has further specified that Bassel's imprisonment constituted a violation of Articles 9, 14 and 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, noting that the Syrian government failed to provide "any information that would indicate that Mr. Khartabil's peaceful non-violent activity constituted a threat to national security or public order."
- Sau sự kiện đó, hơn 30 tổ chức nhân quyền (bao gồm Ân Xá Quốc Tế (Amnesty International), Tổ Chức Theo Dõi Nhân Quyền (Human Rights Watch), Mục Lục Kiểm Duyệt (Index on Censorship) và Trung Tâm Nhân Quyền Vùng Vịnh (The Gulf Center for Human Rights)) đã ký đơn thỉnh nguyện kêu gọi chính quyền Syria nhằm phát hiện nơi Bassel đang ở đâu và giúp Bassel trở về với gia đình. Ban Quản Trị tổ chức Creative Commons cũng chấp thuận đơn thỉnh nguyện trả tự do cho Bassel, và Viện Nghiên Cứu Truyền Thông trực thuộc Viện Công Nghệ Massachusetts phong chức nghiên cứu sinh cho Bassel tại Trung Tâm Báo Chí Công Dân (The Center for Civic Media) để Bassel thực hiện các dự án để truyền đạt những hiểu biết về lịch sử Syria trên toàn thế giới.
- Wikimedia Foundation, the organisation hosting Wikipedia, also supported Bassel's release. In addition to informing the press about Bassel's situation, the Foundation has spoken about it publicly at events and on social media. In March 2014, it hosted a Wikipedia edit-a-thon in Bassel's honour, and has remained in direct contact with his family.
Tôi có thể tìm hiểu thêm về Bassel ở đâu?
- There are Wikipedia articles about Bassel in over 15 languages, including English, Arabic, French, German, Spanish, and others. (All are linked from his Wikidata item.)
- Bạn cũng có thể tìm hiểu thêm về Bassel ở đây: