|Language committee (contact page about requests)|
Please add any questions or feedback to the language committee here on this page.
Archives of this page
See also: Requests for new languages/Archives
- Hi. There are some latest news related to South Azerbaijani Wikipedia. First, let me give you a short brief about Azerbaijani language: More than 25 million Azerbaijanis live in Iran, they don't have literary language, because they are not allowed to learn Azerbaijani in schools. They use Arabic script to write in Azerbaijani and most of them cannot understand Latin letters which are in use in Azerbaijan Republic. More than 9 million Azerbaijanis live in Azerbaijan Republic and as I mentioned above, they write in Latin alphabet and except some scholars, teachers and enthusiasts no one understands Arabic script which is in use in South Azerbaijan.
- Azerbaijan was divided into two parts in 1813. South part stood in Iran and the North part joined Russia. So in the last 200 years Azerbaijani language developed in two different ways. In the South there are many words from Persian and Turkish and in the North we have also many words from Persian, Arabian, Turkish, Russian and different European languages. In everyday conversations we can understand each other with some difficulties, but when we start to talk on scientific topics, biology, physics, geography etc it's very hard to understand terms. That's why we need two different wikis, we even cannot use mirroring to read. We understand that it will be a waste of time.
- Most of the users from Azerbaijan Republic were confused by Arabic script in Azerbaijani Wikipedia. We had discussions on this problem since az-wiki started. Newcomers were asking old users to delete articles in Arabic script and don't allow users to create new articles in this script. But at that times we had strong believe that South Azerbaijani Wikipedia is too weak to grow independently, that's why many of our users voted against creation of azb-wiki years ago.
- But we alarmed when article count reached 100.000 in az-wiki. More than 10.000 of them were articles in Arabic script (most of them were stubs). We saw that it's too hard for this 2 scripts to "live together". And we started systematic deletion of all articles written in Arabic script in az-wiki. This process came to an end few days ago. So now in az-wiki we don't have articles in Arabic script. We asked all our South Azerbaijani users to work in Incubator to help azb-wiki to become an independent project.--Wertuose (talk) 20:17, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
Dear Langcom members! 2 months past from my appeal, but no reaction demonstrated. I discussed this problem with Amire80 in London last year and with Maor X in Berlin a month ago. If you need any information or you can advice something please let me know.--Wertuose (talk) 06:13, 29 June 2015 (UTC)
- Dear Wertuose. Thanks for your appeal. Please be assured that there has been intensive discussion among LangCom members after your first message above of 27 April. Two months is actually not a long time when it comes to politically tricky and emotionally charged topics. It is customary for LangCom to make decisions unanimously as this will ensure that the consensus reached (when it has been reached) stands a chance of being acceptable to most Wikimedia and local wp members as well. We're still in process of reaching a consensus on this issue - and no, it is not due to a lack of information. Sorry. Best wishes, --Baba Tabita (talk) 07:12, 3 July 2015 (UTC)
Support : Request to include Latin script Konkani in the gom Wikipedia
Hello Language Committee, Painstakingly I have worked to build up articles in the Latin script Konkani on Gom Wikipedia. I have added more than 800 pages approximately. And also others have contributed. There is a lot of Konkani knowledge available in Latin Script which needs a platform to put it together in one place. This will be accessible to the Konkani speaking community spread world wide. We are not getting any grants. It is our love for our Mother tongue and the desire to make its knowledge accessible to our community worldwide.
The Konkani speaking community located outside India speak the mother tongue Konkani at home. But the script is an issue for them to access. As not all of them can understand the Devanagiri or Kannada Script. The Latin script is internationally known. There are many languages which do not have script of their own but use Latin Script. Tourist and other people who do not know the vernacular scripts will find the Latin script helpful also, Since Goa is also a Tourist destination.
I have used a software to transliterate articles from Latin Konkani to Devanagiri Konkani and these have been posted in the Gom Wikipedia. But as I have mentioned not all can read the Devanagiri or Kannada Script, Latin Script becomes handy since all know the Latin script. It would be injustice to the Konkani language and spread of its knowledge if the Latin Script is not included as many who cannot understand the vernacular script will have no access. They will find Gom Wikipedia unaccessible just becuase of the script. I also intend to continue transliterating literature available now on Gom Wikipedia into Latin Script.
Do consider this earnest and sincere request to include the Latin Script articles of Konkani in the Gom Wikipedia. Together the Devanagiri and Latin Script Konkani will enrich each other for the spread of knowledge in Konkani to Konkani speaking community which are spread all over the world. They are mostly settled in Canada, United Kingdom, Portugal, Australia, USA, Pakistan and the Middle East. These people do not know the vernacular script but know the Latin Script and will be able to read and understand Knowledge in their Mother tongue - Konkani. Hope Wikipedia does no injustice to the Latin Script Konkani articles. It is already suffering due to suppression from various sources.
Hope the Language Committee does not suppress the Latin Script Konkani which has been used for more than 400 years and is still being used daily
Thanking you in anticipation of a positive action
Rosario Fernandes https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Rosario_Fernandes
Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Saraiki is sent for Saraiki. Kindly look in to matter. Create Saraiki Wiki. Saraiki is an important language. Department of Saraiki, Islamia University, Bahawalpur was established in 1989 and Department of Saraiki, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan was established in 2006. Saraiki is taught as subject in schools and colleges at higher secondary, intermediate and degree level. Allama Iqbal open university Islamabad, and Al-Khair university Bhimbir have their Pakistani Linguistics Departments. They are offering M.Phil. and Ph.D in Saraiki. Five T V channels and Ten Radio Stations are Serving Saraiki language.
Wikinews Thai Project
I want to you open project wikinews thai cause I like news I want write article so Please open project I promise I will write article everytime.(Dear Thai people) Parintar (talk) 10:54, 11 July 2015 (UTC)
Now I have got a question. The Cantonese Wiktionary have created for five years ago and also have got more than 700 topics. And Requests for new languages have verified, many of the users are support to establish the Cantonese Wiktionary and without an oppose. And also the code have marked for "yue". I want to know how the rate of progress on 2015.--WKDx417 (talk) 03:16, 24 July 2015 (UTC)
I would like to request the Language Committee to consider approval of Khowar Wikipedia as early as possible as all criteria are met. I want to know when khowar wikipedia will be normal like other Pakistani Wikipedias?--Zaheeruddin25 (talk) 05:56, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- I support the request. It is active since October 2014 and all most used core messages have been translated. I hope that Committee will contact an expert to verify the project as soon as possible. --Ghiutun 19:35, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
Request to all members of language committee
- Sir, on 22 July 2015: South Azerbaijani Wikipedia has been created, on 16 June 2015: Goan Konkani and Northern Luri Wikipedia have been created. I request all the Hon'ble members of language committee for early creation of Khowar Wikipedia, Thanks and Regards --Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 07:08, 19 August 2015 (UTC)
Lower Silesian Wikipedia
Hi! I translate all required MediaWiki interface translations, please check it on Language committee/Status/wp/sli. It's last requirement for approval.
- That page is quite outdated. Unfortunately, the test-project on Incubator isn't really active anymore (1 edit so far in this month, before that 8 in June, 6 in May). --MF-W 18:51, 17 August 2015 (UTC)
- As for today 236 most used core messages are still untranslated into Silesian German, so inactivity unfortunately is not the only problem. --Ghiutun 19:40, 1 September 2015 (UTC)