|Language committee (contact page about requests)|
Please add any questions or feedback to the language committee here on this page.
Archives of this page
See also: Requests for new languages/Archives
- 1 Support : Request to include Latin script Konkani in the gom Wikipedia
- 2 Saraiki Language
- 3 Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Khowar
- 4 Livvi-Karelian Wiki (olo)
- 5 Algerian arq wikipedia
- 6 Requests for new languages/Wikivoyage Esperanto
- 7 Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Coptic 2
- 8 Requests for new languages/Wikivoyage Tamil
- 9 Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Ingush
- 10 Language committee/Status/wp/bgn
- 11 Requirements
- 12 See also
- 13 How long and how many does it take to prove the momentum is enough for a new Wikipedia?
- 14 Phabricator Task T11436 Vertical Writting Support
- 15 Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Ancient Greek 4
- 16 Jamaican Wikipedia
- 17 How?
Support : Request to include Latin script Konkani in the gom Wikipedia
Hello Language Committee, Painstakingly I have worked to build up articles in the Latin script Konkani on Gom Wikipedia. I have added more than 800 pages approximately. And also others have contributed. There is a lot of Konkani knowledge available in Latin Script which needs a platform to put it together in one place. This will be accessible to the Konkani speaking community spread world wide. We are not getting any grants. It is our love for our Mother tongue and the desire to make its knowledge accessible to our community worldwide.
The Konkani speaking community located outside India speak the mother tongue Konkani at home. But the script is an issue for them to access. As not all of them can understand the Devanagiri or Kannada Script. The Latin script is internationally known. There are many languages which do not have script of their own but use Latin Script. Tourist and other people who do not know the vernacular scripts will find the Latin script helpful also, Since Goa is also a Tourist destination.
I have used a software to transliterate articles from Latin Konkani to Devanagiri Konkani and these have been posted in the Gom Wikipedia. But as I have mentioned not all can read the Devanagiri or Kannada Script, Latin Script becomes handy since all know the Latin script. It would be injustice to the Konkani language and spread of its knowledge if the Latin Script is not included as many who cannot understand the vernacular script will have no access. They will find Gom Wikipedia unaccessible just becuase of the script. I also intend to continue transliterating literature available now on Gom Wikipedia into Latin Script.
Do consider this earnest and sincere request to include the Latin Script articles of Konkani in the Gom Wikipedia. Together the Devanagiri and Latin Script Konkani will enrich each other for the spread of knowledge in Konkani to Konkani speaking community which are spread all over the world. They are mostly settled in Canada, United Kingdom, Portugal, Australia, USA, Pakistan and the Middle East. These people do not know the vernacular script but know the Latin Script and will be able to read and understand Knowledge in their Mother tongue - Konkani. Hope Wikipedia does no injustice to the Latin Script Konkani articles. It is already suffering due to suppression from various sources.
Hope the Language Committee does not suppress the Latin Script Konkani which has been used for more than 400 years and is still being used daily
Thanking you in anticipation of a positive action
Rosario Fernandes https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Rosario_Fernandes
Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Saraiki is sent for Saraiki. Kindly look in to matter. Create Saraiki Wiki. Saraiki is an important language. Department of Saraiki, Islamia University, Bahawalpur was established in 1989 and Department of Saraiki, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan was established in 2006. Saraiki is taught as subject in schools and colleges at higher secondary, intermediate and degree level. Allama Iqbal open university Islamabad, and Al-Khair university Bhimbir have their Pakistani Linguistics Departments. They are offering M.Phil. and Ph.D in Saraiki. Five T V channels and Ten Radio Stations are Serving Saraiki language.
- I Support creation for the Seraiki language Wikipedia , but its suggested the above request maker that you should first start Seraiki Wikipedia on Incubator and then make a consensus and request the language committee that will have a right to whether approve or reject the proposal, but if you make some gigantic edits and work then it will surely be added as Seraiki Wikipedia. --Jogi don (talk) 09:35, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- Saraiki is a sweet language and I was also looking for Saraiki Wikipedia to be opened, but I am not a native Saraiki speaker therefore I didn't request for its creation. If this wiki is opened then surely I will work for its development.مھتاب احمد (talk) 09:50, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- Nevermind. It seems that there is some copy-and-pasting of comments and other odd business going on ..
- Not sure if the eligibility was verified or not. It appears on some version, but not on others. --Jura1 (talk) 15:28, 16 February 2016 (UTC)
- The test project seems very active. More than three active (>10 edits) editors per month for the past 16 months, 22 active editors in December, and some of the more active editors making hundreds of edits monthly. --Yair rand (talk) 01:59, 1 March 2016 (UTC)
- @Jura1: and @Yair rand: We are working since 16 months and all the required messages have already been translated, Khowar is spoken in Pakistan, Afghanistan, India and Xinjiang(China) I humbly request to your goodselves and the all members of languaages committee. Please help us for early approval of Khowar Wikipedia. Regards --Amjad Mehmoodfsc (talk) 09:48, 7 March 2016 (UTC)
- Appeal to Language Committee for early approval/verification of Khowar Wkipedia
- Dear sirs/Madam @Amir E. Aharoni:,@Antony D. Green:,@Bèrto 'd Sèra:, @Carlos Manuel Colina:,@Gerard Meijssen:,@Jon Harald Søby:,@Maria Fanucchi:,@MF-Warburg:,@Michael Everson:,@Milos Rancic:,@Oliver Stegen:,@Robin Pepermans:,@Santhosh Thottingal:,@Shanel Kalicharan:,@Zacharias Diakonikolaou:,@Ascánder:,@Huib Laurens:,@Jesse Plamondon-Willard:,@Michal Zlatkovský:,@Sabine Cretella:,@Tangotango:,@Yair rand:,@Ibrahim khashrowdi:,@Csisc:,@Justin:,@OWTB:,@Hydriz:,@GerardM:,@Danny B:,@Ebe123:,@SPQRobin:,@Kaganer:,@Koroğlu:,@Oldstoneage:,@Universal Life:,@Kamazina:,@Bachounda:,@Masssly:,@Franz710:,@WKDx417:,@Ali Saki:,@Angpradesh:,@Ochilov:,@Лорд Бъмбъри:,@Omda4wady:,@Sfic:,@Imdadb:,@Mashoi7:,@1AnuraagPandey:,@ⲁϩⲙⲉⲧ:,@Cedric tsan cantonais:,@Patronus95:,@देवराज पौडेल:,@Katxis:,@콩가루:,@Илья Драконов:,@Charidri:,@Maathavan:,@राम प्रसाद जोशी:,@Ilja.mos:,,@Aabdullayev851:@Girmitya: @Ghiutun: and @Mogoeilor:Your kind attention is drawn towards creation and approval of Khowar Wikipeid. As you are aware that since 2014 we are working on Khowar Wikipedia project tirelesslyKhowar_Wikipedia_MainPage this project active since 2014 unfortunately the request for Khowar Wikipedia has not yet been Verified as Eligible. And the all 500  have already been translated into Khowar Language by Me. This project qualified for final approval and waiting the humble attention of all members of Language committee as there are no  untranslated messages. It is pertinent to mention here that according to the Criteria for final approval, this Khowar Wikipedia incubator project is active from 2014 and now we are in 2016 and waiting for approval. Please check the analysis lists (see automated statistics). Please check the recent activiey here. We are pleased to inform you that the khowar contributors has maintained the current good momentum and we appeal the all Hon’ble Member of Language Committee that the proposal for the creation of Khowar Wikipedia may kindly be accepted /approved; just like  was approved in Pakistani and Indian Language.--Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 12:55, 7 March 2016 (UTC)
- Waiting for response from LangCom, all the requirement has already been complied with, please reply --Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 08:45, 27 March 2016 (UTC)
- I Support The Khowar Wikipedia, this project is very active and working on this project more than 3 active contributors--Ibrahim khashrowdi (talk) 16:51, 27 March 2016 (UTC)
- I Support The Khowar Wikipedia, the reason being that this project is part of larger Perso-Arabic Wikipedia projects.As regards to Jura's apprehension on the authenticity of the work, let me share my own experience. A user requested for support with regard to some display problem on the test Wiki, which I readily did, though I am not a regular editor on that Wiki. I must admit I failed to correct a template which was later requested by another user. These incidents show that there is a team of dedicated contributors. Also, you may note that Rehmat Aziz Chitrali is himself a Khowar poet. Cf: this profile link --Muzammil (talk) 18:01, 27 March 2016 (UTC)
- I strong Support The Khowar language in wiki projects, specially in Wikipedia. It is spoken by the Kho people in Chitral in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in the Ghizer district of Gilgit-Baltistan. It is spoken as a second language in the rest of Gilgit and Hunza. There are numbers of Khowar speakers in Afghanistan, China, Tajikistan and Istanbul. Rachitrali is a well-known writer, poet and contributor of Khowar Language, and I believe he will drive this wiki project to its successful stage. best regards. عثمان منصور انصاري (talk) 20:30, 27 March 2016 (UTC)
- I Support that the Khowar language should be started so that the khowar people could also get an opportunity to utilize the information in their local language. --Jogi don (talk) 09:28, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- I Support support this project because our Khowar speaking brothers look very excited in starting this wiki. I think their efforts should be recognized and they should be given the domain of Khowar Wikipedia. My best wishes are with them.مھتاب احمد (talk) 09:50, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- I Support The Khowar wiki project, hopefully, will serve a particular minority group of people. It itself will be a great help on the part of Wikipedia, as this gesture may serve for the promotion of peace in the already turbulent society. Wishing Best Wishes--Drcenjary (talk) 10:24, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- I Support that the Khowar language should be started --Abualsarmad (talk) 12:19, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- Strongly Support for Khowar Wikipedia--محمد عارف سومرو (talk) 12:23, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- I Support that the Khowar language should be started .The Khowar wiki project, hopefully, will serve a particular minority group of people. --Abbas dhothar (talk) 13:34, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
- Support Khowar Wikipedia will help the Khowar Language to have a presence on the internet and I hope it will grow to vibrant wikipedia and community. Danish47 (talk) 20:15, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
- Support This language wiki project will hopefully serve its speakers community and will help them add their share to the world of knowledge. --Jugni (talk) 17:55, 10 April 2016 (UTC)
Livvi-Karelian Wiki (olo)
Подскажите, как быть дальше. На данном этапе в Olo-wiki около 1000 статей, активная работа продолжается. Как нам выйти из инкубатора? There is about 1000 articles in Wiki-OLO. What we should do next? - Ilja.mos
Algerian arq wikipedia
Hi! This request have been closed, but there are native speakers of this language, actually. ~300, but they exist! We also have some native Copts who are working in Incubator in Coptic Wikipedia. Why are you calling this language "dead" while it is actually only endangered? As you can see here and here (you can also just google "Coptic language Native speakers and you will see), it has some L1 speakers, so it is endangered, but not yet dead. --Ochilov (talk) 17:50, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
any one of administrators can add it for Western Balochi Wikipedia!
|Language committee (Status of the Western Baluchi )|
|This page tracks the status of the Western Baluchi (language committee) request. It is unofficial, and does not necessarily predict committee decisions. This page was last updated 28 March 2016; you can request an update on Talk:Language committee.|
The following criteria for final approval must be met before the wiki can be created. Criteria that are crossed out with a black box have been satisfied.
- Criteria for eligibility
- check that the project does not already exist (see list).
- obtain an ISO 639 code (Language committee).
- ensure the requested language is sufficiently unique that it could not exist on a more general wiki.
- ensure that there are a sufficient number of native editors of that language to merit an edition in that language. (For constructed languages, there must be sufficient recognition as determined by discussion.)
- Criteria for final approval
- develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (committee/Language+committee&wiki=incubatorwiki_p automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, recent translations):
- Approval process
- verify test project content with a reliable neutral source, such as a professor or expert.
- approval by the committee.
- notify Board of Trustees for possible veto.
- final approval.
- Request page [!]
- Test project
- code lookup
- same-language requests:
Wikibooks| Wikinews| Wikipedia| Wikiquote| Wikisource| Wiktionary| Wikiversity
- debug: committee&wiki=Language committee&lang=Western+Baluchi&cat=&format=1 botanalysis
How long and how many does it take to prove the momentum is enough for a new Wikipedia?
Hi, does anyone knows how the Wikipedia incubator works in terms of the period of potential "upgrade/split" to have a new language's own site? Is there any documentation that provides the stage of new Wikipedia's independence?
The reason for me to ask this question, is because in Wikimedia Taiwan, we are collaborating with an academic culture institution for helping the indigenous languages to have their own Wikipedia. However, since there are no one in our chapter's board / staff has the related experience of creating a whole new Wikipedia from scratch, it's hard to share with project leaders and professors in the collaborative institutions and language community liaisons of tribes to vision the possible agenda or milestones (e.g. As long as X time and Y volunteers create Z contents, you can have your own Wikipedia! ). This will cause a vicious cycle for the project leaders to motivate skilled and knowledgable language master to train or involve into this Wikipedia pilot.
So I would like to ask does anyone know that the Wikipedian who has recently (i.e. in the past 2 years) successfully make their own Wikipedia for their guidance and best practice sharing. Thank you. --Liang(WMTW) (talk) 17:50, 31 March 2016 (UTC)
- @Shangkuanlc: So why don't you create Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Amis, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Kavalan, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Rukai, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Tsou, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Thao, and so on? Currently for the Taiwanese aborigines languages, I only found Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Kari Seediq (n.b. the creator has been inactive for 2~4 years). --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 07:44, 2 May 2016 (UTC)
Phabricator Task T11436 Vertical Writting Support
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T11436 Should the task be reassessed given the change in internet landscape in term of vertical writing support in recent years? C933103 (talk) 12:29, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
Although I have already being told that the Committee is taking into consideration the approval of Jamaican Wikipedia, just in case, and following what is said in the request page ("If you think the criteria are met, but the project is still waiting for approval, feel free to notify the committee and ask them to consider its approval."), I would like to ask the Committee to consider the approval of the Jamaican version of Wikipedia. Thank you for your time. --Katxis (talk) 08:16, 26 April 2016 (UTC)
- It was now approved. --MF-W 22:17, 29 April 2016 (UTC)