|Please do not post any new comments on this page. This is a discussion archive first created on 01 January 2014, although the comments contained were likely posted before and after this date. See current discussion.|
Wikipedia Laki is await for creation of URL
Hello, I requested a private wikipedia for Laki language. It seems that is verified but there in no url yet. Please provide it for us, we will develop it after getting special address.
- There's no such thing as a private Wikipedia. If you wish to develop it, use the Incubator. After LangCom approves it, it will be created. Please be patient. PiRSquared17 (talk) 14:22, 6 January 2014 (UTC)
- Last activity in the Incubator test-project was in November, before that in July. That can unfortunately not be considered active, which is necessary for approval as an own subdomain. --MF-W 21:47, 7 January 2014 (UTC)
Dear Sir/Madam, I would like you to please reconsider the request given here. We need to create another Wikipedia in Urdu language. This is very important, I have tried all the possible ways to write both types of Urdu language (simple and traditional or scientific) but seems impossible to continue. This scientific and/or traditional Urdu language is the only to write Urdu scientific articles, simple or what you say layman language can not allow the huge scientific terminology to write. We will lost a language to appear on the web to take its part in the development of a community. I can provide you whatever your requirements are. --سمرقندی (talk) 01:27, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
- Requirements: ISO code, significant community, Incubator test project (requires ISO code), fully translated basic MediaWiki interface (probably requires ISO code). PiRSquared17 (talk) 01:30, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikiversity_Chinese when can it be created?--Gabrielchihonglee (talk) 06:33, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
Talysh Wikipedia (Wp/tly)
I think it's a good time to open it as independent wiki.
- Recent changes
- Catanalysis (stable activity within last four months, more than 9300 edits since creation)
- All 500 most-used core messages have been translated.
- Yes, we think the same way. It has been long time since we actively work on this project. It is very important for our mother tongue Talysh - because it is one of the Endangered Languages of the World and needs to be preserved. We strongly believe that, if Talysh Wikipedia opens, more and more people will use Wikipedia. For us, Talysh Wikipedia is very important. We are looking forward to see the openning of Talysh Wikipedia.--Aliyev1 (talk) 22:06, 20 January 2014 (UTC)
- The approval is now proposed. --MF-W 00:08, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
- The list is public since ca. 8 months: Language_committee#Observers. --MF-W 23:07, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
- The request is already marked as eligible. Apart from eligibility, the current activity level of the test-wiki doesn't make it viable for final approval. --MF-W 23:53, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
Combining the ajp and ajc (North Levantine Arabic and South Levantine Arabic) test wikis for a Wikipedia proposal
Dear language committee,
I heard a recommendation that the ajp and ajc (North Levantine Arabic and South Levantine Arabic) varities should share a Wikipedia because of the belief that the variants have relatively view differences especially when written down. Currently there are two different test wikis: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/apc and https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ajp
The North and South Levantine Arabics have two separate ISO codes: ajp and ajc, and AFAIK there isn't a supra-ISO code that covers both variants. What should be done?
Dear language committee, My name is [Dr. Nizar Habash]. I am a computational linguist from Columbia University. I have worked on Arabic natural language processing and Arabic dialect modeling for over 10 years. I would like to second this recommendation to merge the wikipedia pages for so-called North and South Levantine Arabic into Levantine Arabic. It is interesting that Wikipedia already merges the two sub-dialects by redirecting them to the same page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levantine_Arabic. I am not sure why ISO did not provide a Levantine Arabic code. Most linguists working on Arabic would agree that sub-diaelcts of Levantine (many more than the north/south distinction) exist, but are mutually intelligible.
Thank you, Nizar Habash.
Adyghe language topic
I would like to have an update on Adyghe language(West Circassian language) on Wikipedia, please. Its adress is to be ady.wikipedia.org. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Blegojcaner (talk) 27 February 2014, 18:14 UTC
- Adyghe Wikipedia is eligible, but not approved. While the test wiki has some activity, it is not very active with new content. Also the content has not been verified. PiRSquared17 (talk) 18:17, 27 February 2014 (UTC)
- (edit conflict) For approval it would be good if there are at least 3 regular contributors over the last few months, as you can see here (1 contributor so far this month with >10 edits; before that the last non-bot edited in Oct. 2013). Also the most-used messages need to be translated. --MF-W 18:21, 27 February 2014 (UTC)
In fact Agyghe and Kabardian (see kbd.wikipedia.org) are the same language (like e.g. Romanian and Moldovan). They even have the same native name ("Адыгэбзэ"). I believe there's no need to open that wiki ever, and I wonder why they have different ISO codes. --Midnight Gambler (talk) 09:03, 28 February 2014 (UTC)
- Your wiki needs no less then 3 active users, for 3-4 months.--Midnight Gambler (talk) 04:05, 1 March 2014 (UTC)
Multi-language (ISO: mul) Wikiquote
Does the proposal at Structured Wikiquote (currently listed at Proposals for new projects) fall within the scope of the Requests for new languages process under the purview of the Language Committee? I am not sure whether ISO code
mul counts as a "new language" in the sense contemplated by this process (and a proposal to usurp the entire wikiquote.org domain is not quite the same as adding a new subdomain to an existing project).
Note that the proposal calls for assimilating and supplanting all language editions of Wikiquote, with the stated ultimate purpose of closing down the existing community projects. Would the Language Committee care to participate in evaluating this proposal? Thanks. ~ Ningauble (talk) 16:02, 11 March 2014 (UTC)
- It's not in Langcom's scope to deliberate on changing a whole project from using multiple language versions to just one multilingual wiki. This would be something the proposed sister projects committee could do, but absent that, the only way to discuss it with possible effects is an RFC. --MF-W 19:08, 22 March 2014 (UTC)
Would you please approve the Requests for new languages/Wikivoyage Persian.Now it doesn't have any technical problem. we can expand it easily if it has local domain.
- Only four active users this month. Stay active for 3-4 months, and you can count on opening. --Midnight Gambler (talk) 16:13, 13 March 2014 (UTC)
2 rejected rfls
- Unfortunately there seem to be only 2 regular contributors on Incubator. --MF-W 17:23, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
Is there some stats or graphs about the LangCom activity ? Something like a bar graph with the number of request/creation/rejection/whatever by month/quarter (if not, maybe can I make one).
- We have a graph about the number of creations per year at incubator:I:SCL, but nothing else I'm aware of. --MF-W 16:24, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
A question about closed projects
Some projects which closed due to inactivity, such as Creek Wikipedia, Yi Wikipedia, Marshallese Wikipedia et cetera were the only projects in their languages. Should/must they meet all criteria for a final approval, particularly content verification and translation of most-used messages?
Asking because it's probably unnecessary for those ones to stay for long on Incubator (in the case of significant activity in a future), if they were formally approved some time ago. --Midnight Gambler (talk) 11:14, 11 February 2014 (UTC)
Western Punjabi Wikiquote Ready
W.Punjabi Wikiquote is regularly improving and active since early 2011. It is completly ready to be normalised. It has 520 pages and it is normalised, in wikiquote community it would be on 40th position.  should be normalised now. Thank you.--Khalid Mahmood (talk) 11:37, 13 March 2014 (UTC)
- "If a Wikimedia project in your language already exists and these messages have already been translated, we ask that you show evidence that localisation is continuing to be improved and maintained at a reasonable pace." - the most-used messages are already translated, as pnb.wikipedia exists, but this does not seem to be improvement and maintenance at a reasonable pace. --MF-W 15:36, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
Hi,We have requested a revision of this poll.All conditions are ready to create a new wiki(azb).More testimonials(vote/opinion) old.Is it possible for a new requests? Negative views are archaic and irrational..E THP (talk) 11:35, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
- -Given that there are many languages with less speakers are the owner of Wikipedia
-not fair that 23 million South Azeris are deprived of this right??????, but other languages such Zazaki with 2 million people have been right. wikipedia Foundation executives hope to put an end to this injustice--Amir a57 (talk) 14:45, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
Please create a status report for wv/diq, wv/lt and wv/ta. Wv/zh is probably ready for approval as there was an active test community for almost a year now. Thanks. Vogone talk 15:26, 24 April 2014 (UTC)
- Status pages are deprecated since quite some time already. --MF-W 20:21, 24 April 2014 (UTC)
Wikvoyage and Finnish?
- The Finnish Wikivoyage on the Incubator does not have much content, and there are no active contributors there. Please read the request page for the approval criteria. Regards, SPQRobin (talk) 20:26, 25 April 2014 (UTC)
- Now you got me totally confused. One page says "The Language Committee has decided these language editions do not need to go through the usual process, but their initial content will be imported via XML files that Wikivoyage e.V. had created from the respective Wikitravel subdomains, when this used to be possible (other user-created content on Incubator Wiki will also be imported)." but you are talking as if the already approved Finnish edition does have go through the usual process. Please clarify which info is correct.--Nedergard (talk) 06:11, 26 April 2014 (UTC)
Request for updating status of the Hawrami Wikipedia.
Hello, My name is Tareq Waisi.At the moment I'm managing new encyclopedia project in Hawrami language on this website: www.hewramyane.com and we have a group of active members that they can work on our new Wikipedia project. we decide to move our project to Wikipedia and all of the members are ready to do this. we have a good database in our language and it will be easy for us to translate the Wikipedia interface from English to Hawrami. As you can see in this page, https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_committee/Status/wp/hac a request for adding this language to Wikipedia submitted about three years ago and really we don't know how to start on this project , and where and when we can start. I appreciate you help. Thanks very much
Wikidata language requests
Where to ask for new languages to be supported by Wikidata? All I could find is how to request new Wikis in new languages, but Wikidata in itself is multi-language already. The language I would like to see added is Northern Thai (ISO code nod) - especially in the Thai Wikipedia several articles on places in northern Thailand which include the name in northern Thai, it would make sense to have these in Wikidata. It should be easy to activate this language for Wikidata. One problem - the standard font does not support the northern Thai script, thus for en:Chiang Mai the nod-Name ᨩ᩠ᨿᨦᩉ᩠ᨾᩲ᩵ cannot be rendered. Ahoerstemeier (talk) 13:57, 30 April 2014 (UTC)
luri lrc wiki test
hello luri lrc has 5 active users and it was active in ten past months and this is luri lrc language localisation requirements is approximatelly complete and this language was verified with a proffesor please help us to create luri lrc wikidedia page as like as en, fa and other wikipedia pageslrc lori (talk) 17:43, 21 May 2014 (UTC)
hello there are some active users in maithili wikipedia and it was active in ten past months.so please review soon for the final approval for the Maithili wikipedia.Thanksबिप्लब आनन्द (talk) 10:42, 1 June 2014 (UTC)
Latest activities report is a year old
Wp/hrx & Wp/sli
- The request for opening of the Rio Grande German Wikipedia (m:incubator:Wp/hrx) is still not verified. I think it's high time to do this. Just look: most of (if not all) MediaWiki messages was translated (by native speaker, by the way), more than 100 articles (some of them are good-sized). Activity is unstable but nonetheless it is, and I hope the project will be pretty much active in the short term.
- What are the chances for Silesian German Wikipedia (m:incubator:Wp/sli) to be opened? I believe it's ready.
Moved in subpage Language committee/Marashi language
An IP address has created the page Language committee/Marashi language and it was sitting at the root level. I have moved it to a subpage here for someone to curate. — billinghurst sDrewth 01:49, 15 September 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Billinghurst. I moved it to Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Marashi and added it to the request list. —Pathoschild 01:58, 15 September 2014 (UTC)
Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia
- This project remains active since July. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Rinconada --Filipinayzd (talk) 14:45, 14 September 2014 (UTC)
- The activity is indeed good, but it seems to me that the test-project only contains articles about municipialities in the Philippines so far? The Main Page lists several categories (like arts, culture, mathematics), but only one of them has content: Geography. Please also write about other topics before your Wikipedia is fully approved. --MF-W 21:59, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
When Finnish Wikivoyage starts?
- +1. Also I know some users who will start editing when Wikivoyage is first created. --Stryn (talk) 05:18, 17 September 2014 (UTC)
mam or mnc?
On this page there is the MAM language Wikipedia in the list, with the comment "On hold", and with an analysis link, which leads to the page of the MANCHU language, not the MAM! But what about the MAM? Is it verified? Is there an analysis page for MAM? Zerind (talk) 16:10, 17 September 2014 (UTC)
- I have corrected this now. The Manchu request was not listed, for some reason. There is no status page ("analysis") for Mam Wikipedia, however status pages are deprecated since a long time already, and new ones are not created anymore. The information they contained can be seen on the Request pages themselves. --MF-W 22:06, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
Would you please approve the Requests for new languages/Wikivoyage Persian.Now it doesn't have any technical problem. we can expand it easily if it has local domain.
- As can be seen in the Catanalysis, the activity is only on an "approvable" level (regular contributors who make substantial edits) since last month. Last time before that, that was the case in March this year, and before that in January 2013. Therefore, it seems better to me to wait 1 or 2 months with the approval to see whether activity keeps up. --MF-W 00:51, 23 August 2014 (UTC)
- Approval is nearing. Meanwhile, please see Requests_for_new_languages/Wikivoyage_Persian#Settings. --MF-W 11:44, 22 September 2014 (UTC)
Welsh Wikibooks may need to be taken to incubator
tend to indicate that there is no activity, and all I can see is a stream of spambots. It may be time for someone to review whether the wiki may be better closed with the contents transferred to incubator until it grows further. — billinghurst sDrewth 00:01, 9 November 2014 (UTC)
- I agree, this would be a candidate for PCP. Feel free to add a proposal there. Vogone (talk) 19:13, 9 November 2014 (UTC)
To review wikt:ss:
I have just cleaned up a little spam via wikt:ss:Special:RecentChanges and it would seem that the site is completely quiescent with no real edits having been made in the past month. Thanks. — billinghurst sDrewth 13:04, 17 November 2014 (UTC)
South Azerbaijani Wikipedia
why South Azerbaijani Wikipedia dont become created?
Ottoman Turkish Wikipedia 4
Hello. Could you please vote/approve this language or variant whether it should have an own edition of Wikipedia. There are native Turks who understands and use Ottoman Turkish.--Uishaki (talk) 03:05, 30 December 2014 (UTC)
- I could bring about a Langcom decision, but I don't see why the result would be something else than for request no. 2 and 3. --MF-W 04:40, 30 December 2014 (UTC)