User talk:Visdaviva

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Baso Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello, Visdaviva. Welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

-- Meta-Wiki Welcome (talk) 06:08, 12 November 2012 (UTC)

Note[edit]

I nominated User:User:Visdaviva for deletion because it has "User:" twice in it, and your correct user page is User:Visdaviva. πr2 (t • c) 05:06, 16 February 2013 (UTC)

eMail call[edit]

Hello Visdaviva, Please consider responding to my email. If you have decided not to respond further then acknowledge with the same. I can't wait forever. Thanks. -- ɑηsuмaη «T» 15:10, 21 June 2013 (UTC)

  • Dear Ansumang, Sorry for the delay in my replies. I have sent you replies (a total of 6 e-mails) since June 22, 2013 to all the mails received from you. Trust I have addressed all the issues you have raised. As suggested in my mails do continue to share your feedback over e-mail. Thank you. Best. Visdaviva (talk) 07:30, 25 June 2013 (UTC)

Script converter[edit]

Hello, I read the article [1]. The journalist was obviously very confused (as it often happens), but – if it's true that you think someone at "Wikipmedia [Foundation] (US)" has to be interested about the script converter –, be aware that nobody at WMF in SF, or even in the Language Engineering team, develops the script converter, which is maintained by User:Liangent. --Nemo 11:09, 1 August 2013 (UTC)

Thank you so much. Was trying to tell the journalist that a possible technological solution (i.e. script converter) is available. But for that to be considered we need an active community first, which we are trying to build. Very useful to have the lead of User:Liangent. Thanks. Will definitely keep in mind and touch base with Liangent when we reach that milestone, hopefully in some months. However, wondering why "WMF in SF, or even in the Language Engineering team" could not develop this? See this by Santhosh, who is with Language Engineering team. Appreciate further advice, we definitely need it. Thanks again! --Visdaviva (talk) 06:16, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
That page is 2 years old, but apart from that, I'm basing my comment on something Siebrand said in bugzilla, i.e. that the team has limited or no capacity and knowledge of the language converter. Of course this might change in the future, especially if there were grand plans of expansion of the language converter which require a lot of work and these managed to be added to the scope of the team, but as of now your requests are best addressed to the maintainer of the component (for the future, you can use mw:Developers/Maintainers).
(What stroke me was mainly the surprising implication, by the journalist, that Wikimedia/MediaWiki development happens only in SF, only by WMF staff, as WMF staff wants. We are a global community of staffers and volunteers, volunteers are all over the world and even a couple WMF teams are "remote". WMF/SF doesn't own MediaWiki, nor the Wikimedia projects, and language issues are among the best examples of this, with most of the "political" decisions for the Wikimedia projects being taken by the LangCom.) --Nemo 06:54, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for that clarification about the LE team's competency with Language Converter and the useful lead.
You are right about the journalists' impression about who manages the MediaWiki. Though it is wrong, unfortunately many in India (including journalists) do not have an understanding of the true Wiki nature of the MediaWiki :( In fact for many, Wikipedia as an open collaborative knowledge platform, itself is a new information. This is why our work in India especially in developing Indian Language Wikimedia communities and projects becomes a lot more challenging. We need to literally cultivate virtual communities. But we have begun :) --Visdaviva (talk) 18:04, 2 August 2013 (UTC)

Talkback![edit]

Talkback![edit]

You have new messages
Hello, Visdaviva. You have new messages at User talk:Programs:Evaluation_portal/Parlor/Questions#CIS-A2K_Evaluation_Forms.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

SarahStierch (talk) 17:18, 23 December 2013 (UTC)

Categorization of Talk pages[edit]

A2K has been categorizing talk pages, see this and this. We normally don't do that. Could you please explain the need of this. Just curious to know what is A2K doing something new! Thanks. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 16:26, 8 January 2014 (UTC)

Thanks for drawing my attention to this ɑηsuмaη. I was on a spree to categorize many uncat' pages spread across tabs and must have hotcated some talk pages too. Do feel free to undo it. Or I will get back to them on my own.--Visdaviva (talk) 17:25, 8 January 2014 (UTC)
A spree! The history of the talk page you categorized says, the first cat added on 6 Nov 2013 and another cat to the same talk page on 8 Jan 2014. Clearly its not out of spree. I think it was no mistake, you didn't aware of that. You know the truth! :-) Cheers. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 14:28, 9 January 2014 (UTC)
Ansuman I was referring to my Hotcat activity on 8 Jan 2014 as spree. --Visdaviva (talk) 14:50, 9 January 2014 (UTC)
O you think i didn't see that, a spree of 10! LOL! -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 08:14, 10 January 2014 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

Thanks for your kind message! --iopensa (talk) 13:27, 9 January 2014 (UTC)

A2K's work at Odia Wikipedia![edit]

  • Got your email! Wish you the same. You mentioned about your promise you made last year in Odisha and celebrating milestone. After getting your email, i remember i read sth about this on FB last year, but i don't think it's mentioned on Wikipedia. So I still don't know about that fully. Last month, more than 400 stubs were created with the help of AWB, and AFAIK we haven't had any discussion regarding this yet. I thought there was no reason to hit the milestone, but just 2014. After reading your email I realized you're behind all of this.
  • You need to stop messing around. You're misleading the Odia Community. If you want to try a new approach, try somewhere else. Celebration is fine, but it should not be like this. Just to celebrate; 400+ stubs were created messing the Wikipedia, and it's stats, and you're coming down spending thousands of rupees.
  • Then you will highlight this as A2K's achievement. No, please back off. There have been complaints already that A2K is taking the credits of volunteers.
  • You can only help us financially, that we would like to have it from WMF or Chapter directly.
  • I think we're doing just fine without A2K. I like the pace, we need more volunteers to monitor the articles and help users to improve the existing articles. So keep your targets with you. I know i alone can't make that call, but the community is small. We few are maintaining the site, keeping everything in order, and I talked to MKar, he doesn't like your approach. I'm not counting Psubhashish as he is in A2K. Odisha1's Odia is not so good, most of the times he doesn't participate in the discussions, Srikant if you're reading this you may share your view. Aditya Mahar and ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ are great helping with various tasks, mentioned almost everyone who are helping with the maintenance/site development. And we've other contributors but they are mostly focused on content writing, so not mentioned. Feel free to bring them in.
  • I'm tired of this, raising my concerns again and again. I can't spend my time telling you all these and i don't think i can quit because i spent a lot of time around Wikimedia, specially Odia Wikipedia. So please do something, help me.
  • And i don't want to see two groups; new users who don't understand all these are going to be in one, and others who understand in another. That'd be a disaster. You don't want that right!
  • Welcome to Odisha, have a pleasant stay. I'm sorry i don't celebrate like this. I hope i made myself clear. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 13:56, 9 January 2014 (UTC)
Ansuman You have said that I have been behind "400 stubs were created with the help of AWB". Please substantiate this claim/accusation. I think you are grossly wrong to even assume this and suggest that you check your facts right.
You have also said "There have been complaints already that A2K is taking the credits of volunteers." Please cite an evidence or point to a discussion. Thanks.
I hear you on the rest of your concerns about CIS-A2K's efforts to improve Odia Wikipeida. However, it would be ideal to have them discussed with involvement of the Odia WP community either on Odia WP village pump or here. This would ensure that more people from the OR WP community could share their feedback. I would be more than glad to take part in the discussions where the OR WP community is present. Best --Visdaviva (talk) 15:23, 9 January 2014 (UTC)
  • Oh i'm wrong! You should be knowing this already, and you're telling me to check the facts! Why don't you check yourself? Can you even do that? More than 400, i have seen myself. Ask anybody i'have mentioned above. I think all created by ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ but i don't blame him. Check the contributions, see this and this.
  • I'm saying, i have seen you guys doing that in various reports/blog posts/news articles. And here, it's anonymous and it is in Odia, the last sentence goes like this "I request not to take credits of everybody's hard work and cooperation and treat everyone equally." -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 16:31, 9 January 2014 (UTC)
  • Still checking!? It's 454 stubs. I don't know what you discussed. This is the outcome. And as per your email, you're coming to celebrate this, so you are responsible. You're misleading the community.
  • I also heard you suggested to create 20,000 stubs of villages. Who do you think of yourself? Why didn't you discuss this first at VP before making a proposal like this? Why these things are not mentioned on the Wikipedia after the meet-up? Seriously man you have no idea what you're doing?
  • Just because you got the grant of A2K, you can throw some money and celebrate with few Wikipedians, you think you can do whatever you want? Please stop this, don't make this hard for us.
  • You want to discuss this with the community. Share this page link at VP or Mailing list and seek their views. They may not say anything against you openly, but they won't deny my claims either.
  • Ijon FYI. Can you help me with this? I don't know what to do? -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 08:58, 10 January 2014 (UTC)

Keep calm and stick to facts[edit]

Hi, Ansuman.

I'd like to help. To do that, I need to understand the facts:

So far, I understand you are upset about two things: 1. the creation with AWB of ~450 stubs; 2. the proposal to create 20000 stubs of villages.

What I don't understand is: 1. who created those 450 stubs? And since it's not literally User:Visdaviva, what makes you think he is "behind it" nonethelesss? 2. why you are upset about the proposal to create those stubs, instead of calmly explaining why you think it's not a good idea. (btw, I, too, think it's not a good idea, for Odia Wikipedia now.)

(by the way, since ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ's AWB edits are that user's only contributions, this sort of thing can easily be prevented by blocking AWB for users with fewer than N edits. I believe this is the policy on ENWP, for example.)

Cheers. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 00:39, 11 January 2014 (UTC)

  • Hi Ijon. Thanks for your suggestion.
  • We're upset because A2K keeps on messing around again and again.
  • Yes, obviously he didn't create those stubs himself, I don't think he can.
  • They're not discussing on-wiki with everyone and misleading the community by throwing money and meeting them outside. And you're telling me to be calm and explain them! How? They did it in March last year. And on-wiki they didn't mention about celebrating the milestone and this 20,000 proposal. I got to know just few days ago. How'd you deal with it?
  • They are telling users to create stubs, so that they can highlight those numbers as their success. And WMF'd renew the grant. Clearly this's what they're trying to do.
  • The problems A2K creating, we know how to solve them. But we don't want to waste our time, and efforts go in vain. We are volunteers. We have limited time to work on Wikipedia, now our time being wasted behind such issues. How would you feel about all these issues if you were in my place?
  • A2K employees are full time. They have time to spoil everything, but we don't have enough man power and time to resolve them. Now can you hire some fellows to look after these issues?
  • We don't want any trouble, please spare us. We like the pace we're growing. We don't want to lose 10 to gain just 1.
  • And if you can't help it's okay. I'm not blaming you. Thanks man. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 04:22, 11 January 2014 (UTC)
  • There're more. Also because of this hundreds of stubs of districts/villages have been created manually. We don't have enough volunteers to monitor them.
  • The articles created at workshops by A2K are mostly stubs, very few are more than just stubs, and 7 out of 10 don't have references and those have ref. either one or two. So raises the Verifiability issue. I don't think they're trained enough to train others. May be they are good at places like Konkani Wikipedia where everyone is new to Wikimedia, so what A2K explains, they'd think are good enough. I'd not recommend this though. But if they have to engage somewhere, then this is the best option. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 06:41, 11 January 2014 (UTC)
@ Ansuman, I would strongly suggest you to share facts ONLY in this allegation. First, I do not know why you chose Vishnu's talk page for this discussion when I, from CIS-A2K is anchoring for Odia Wikipedia. Second, your mention about the stubs created using AWB are not all village article. There is no mention of even using Bots/Semibots for creating stubs. On the top of everything Shitikantha has explained the reasons/problems of those articles. Please let us know why you feel those are made by our influences. I believe experienced Wikipedians Shitikantha and Aditya are able enough to make decisions and we have not influenced to do any kind of damage to Odia Wikipedia. In my voluntary capacity also I do not create/encourage any bot generated article creation. So, please stop accusing. Thousands of vandals happen on Wikipedia and I am not clear why you are pointing to another to prove there a lack of clarity in our program plans. I would encourage you to speak as an individual community member and not state WE when others can speak for themselves if there is a problem. I would expect more civility from you as a true Wikipedian and constructive suggestions. Thanks and cheers! --Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) 15:50, 12 January 2014 (UTC)
  • These are all facts, you fail to realize now. I got the email from Vishnu, and obviously he is also responsible for all these. And leave that to me where i want to discuss.
  • I think i already explained that just now below. I started that discussion asking him, don't tell me that, but i didn't know that fully until then, as you can see the dates of the discussions.
  • I'm quite sure that was meant for A2K. I can't help if you deny of course.
  • I always speak as an individual. For this I have talked to few active users, they validated most of my points. So i was speaking on behalf of them as well. This is a kind of issue, many don't want to involve themselves. You don't think there is a problem, A2K is a problem itself. You know what I'm talking about, which many yet to know.
  • Don't expect anything from me, when it comes to A2K. Cheers. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 18:09, 12 January 2014 (UTC)
  1. This was posted on the same day after your post from A2K. Clearly it was meant for A2K. And you can read what is written.
  2. How could you call this Vandalism? It was posted at VP, and we should welcome others view there. Why do you think we have such a place?
  3. Further, don't you know it's not right to revert in such situation, when you're involved. Why did you revert if you think it was not meant for A2K? Why didn't you let someone else to deal with it?
  4. It was clearly a suggestion to inform the community few days earlier, not to fix date on your own. And the latter part I've already translated above.
  5. Why didn't you consider this message? Why didn't you reply? Anonymous edits are welcome at main space, then why not at VP?
  • Do you have answers to these questions? You have been working for more than 2 years now. How many times i have pointed to your mistakes? And I'm just a volunteer, and you're expecting civility from me!, you think that'd solve this. Don't you think I should be the one to expect things?
  • You're working professionally yet you discard someone's message openly! You think this is acceptable? You think this'd have a good impact on the community? -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 07:06, 13 January 2014 (UTC)

Answers to your questions below:

  1. This was posted on the same day after your post from A2K. Clearly it was meant for A2K. And you can read what is written.
I of course read before deleting the post. But as there was other discussions to happen for planning for the events and that post was from some anonymous user I did not think of writing back. There was no such question but it was more of a allegation. As it was an event organized by an institution CIS-A2K is not responsible for the decision related delay. Please feel free to revert my change if you feel that post should remain there. You are a sysop and you can always revert changes made my me and others instead of making it an issue.
  • Excuses. You could have moved that message by creating a sub-heading if you found that disturbing. Looks like you are unaware of your adminship and how to work with other admins. No, it's not that easy to revert edits made by an admin. Lol, i'm making it an issue! -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 12:12, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
  1. How could you call this Vandalism? It was posted at VP, and we should welcome others view there. Why do you think we have such a place?
If someone needs to complain against A2K or needs any discussion then I would encourage you to set policies on OR WP because it is pointless to argue with any anonymous user.
  • Again excuse. Nobody told you to argue with anybody. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 12:12, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
  1. Further, don't you know it's not right to revert in such situation, when you're involved. Why did you revert if you think it was not meant for A2K? Why didn't you let someone else to deal with it?
I apologize if you think the post was valid and I had made a mistake. Please feel free to revert.
  1. It was clearly a suggestion to inform the community few days earlier, not to fix date on your own. And the latter part I've already translated above.
Have already replied why the dates were fixed a week before the events.
  1. Why didn't you consider this message? Why didn't you reply? Anonymous edits are welcome at main space, then why not at VP?
  • Do you have answers to these questions? You have been working for more than 2 years now. How many times i have pointed to your mistakes? And I'm just a volunteer, and you're expecting civility from me!, you think that'd solve this. Don't you think I should be the one to expect things?
  • You're working professionally yet you discard someone's message openly! You think this is acceptable? You think this'd have a good impact on the community?

--Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) 08:20, 15 January 2014 (UTC)

Facts vs. Figments of Imagination[edit]

Ansuman there are three things that I see you raise to which I am responding below.

My role in creation of 454 stubs on Odia Wikipedia using AWB[edit]

Your claim is that I have been behind this or I have encouraged this.
Firstly I am completely unaware of these 454 stubs created using AWB and came to know only from your post on my talk page here. I also came to know that these have been created by ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ through you. Secondly, I have neither encouraged nor influenced nor advised ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ to either use AWB or create massive stubs using AwB to reach any milestone whatever. In fact I have not given any specific suggestion or advise on how he should edit on OR Wikipedia. I am reasonably positive that ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ has some reason for why he has done this, which you could discuss separately among the community. For now, I would request ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ to please clarify to the community, if I had covertly or overtly asked him to create the stubs using AWB or for that manner any sort of editing on Odia Wikipedia?

I didn't say you had said to create stubs using AWB. But I thought you encouraged this, because of your promise you had made to celebrate this target as you mentioned in the email. When you discuss such things, reaching targets and all, you should be aware of such things that might happen. But obviously you have no idea how these things work. This is a fact, and you can do nothing about it, but quit. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 17:31, 12 January 2014 (UTC)

CISA2K's role in creating these 454 stubs[edit]

As you and the rest of the OR Wikipedia community well know that User:Psubhashish is anchoring the Odia plans. I would request ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ to also clarify if User:Psubhashish had influenced him to create these stubs using AWB.

No, I don't think he'd do that. I know him better than you. At least he has some experience, but you failed to use that. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 17:31, 12 January 2014 (UTC)

Proposal to create 20,000 Stubs on Odia Wikipedia[edit]

Your claim is that when I visited Bhubaneshwar I proposed to create 20,000 stubs of villages.
It is a gross mis-representation or mis-understanding of the discussions I had with the community including User:Psubhashish during my visit in March 2013, in which you were not present. So probably you need to get back to your source and check the veracity of this hearsay, who has informed you of this after these many months. There was definitely a discussion on the potential of creating many articles on the districts/mandals/villages of Odisa. In fact I shared about how it was done on Telugu Wikipedia and how it resulted in many stubs. I have also mentioned that though such project does have potential to create many articles, but stressed that it should be done with careful planning and resources such that none of them are stubs. I was also told by some of the OR WP community members that there was already a project w:or:ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ:ଉଇକିପ୍ରକଳ୍ପ ଓଡ଼ିଶାର ସ୍ଥାନ which could be revived. Post this visit and based on the discussions and inputs from the Odia Wikipedia community members we shared a draft plan where we proposed India Access To Knowledge/Work plan April 2013 - June 2014/Odia#WikiProject Places of Odisha (ଉଇକିପ୍ରକଳ୍ପ ଆମ ଗାଁ ଆମ ସହର). These draft plans were shared on the OR Wikipedia (including a posting on the Village Pump, I believe) for community feedback and discussion. In addition to this the plans were also shared with larger Indian and global community of Wikimedians. As you will see from the Odia plans we were at no point aiming at 20,000 articles or stubs on OR WP but were very pragmatic as what we (OR Wikipedia community with the support from CISA2K) could achieve in a year's time. I also believe Village is a notable article in the Indian regional language Wikipedia and have larger ambitions of how a village article on WP could be used for decentralized open governance, etc. which I will write up someday.

You never accept your mistakes. I think we can all guess the reason. But we all know that you have no experience at Wikimedia and you are no good here. I'm quite sure you have stressed on creating stubs, heard from 2/3 people. Also you'd said something like "You have potential to reach 20000 by the end of this yr". This is impossible even you say now. And such things you don't mention on Wikipedia. Whether you accept or not, you are partly responsible for many stubs that are created in this period. Just make sure this never happens again. Not just this, anything that you want to discuss with Users off-wiki, mention them first on-wiki. How many times i have said this, to mention everything on wiki. You never listen. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 17:31, 12 January 2014 (UTC)

My stand on stubs[edit]

I personally am not in favour of creating stubs and deeply believe in creating quality knowledge or content on Wikipedia or elsewhere. This should be visible both in my edits and the projects that I get involved.

What'd you say now, after i said all these. Lie as much as you want, you know the consequence. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 17:31, 12 January 2014 (UTC)

CISA2K's work in supporting the growth of Odia Wikipedia[edit]

Your claim is that CISA2K's outreach is not effective.
It would be useful if you and others from the Odia Wikipedia community discuss this openly on OR WP. As I have shared User:Psubhashish is anchoring the working vis-a-vis Odia Wikipedia growth. So please involve him in the discussions on OR WP village pump on what is working; what is not working; what else could be done? Even I would be glad to contribute my two cents of experience. By the way do you have a policy or description on what is a stub on OR WP? Would be nice if you could point to this.
Ansuman, I am quite open to discussion. However, it would be nice if Civility is maintained. Could I urge you to see WP:CIVIL on EN WP whenever you get sometime. Also as I had shared earlier it is better if these discussions are carried on OR WP village pump so that the larger community can take part.--Visdaviva (talk) 09:28, 12 January 2014 (UTC)

Hello, I'm not wasting any more of my time discussing. I have discussed so many things, raised many concerns. What happened? You don't have the experience to understand many things around Wikimedia. Helping is totally different thing. You can do only one thing, spread the word about Wikimedia. That's the only thing i won't complain hopefully. And sadly I'd have to do just one thing, whenever you make a mistake or likely you'd make one, I'd stop you. Do we have any other options?
Do we have any policy at Odia Wikipedia! That doesn't mean we don't follow any. I'm well aware of how open you're.
Well I'm usually civil. But when it comes to you, I'm not. You know the reasons. I can mention loads of reasons, but lets not get into that. You should thank god, you're working in India. If you were doing the same thing in USA, you can't even imagine the language you had to listen.
Please don't joke, you're very bad at it. Could I request you to familiarize yourself with all the policies, guidelines and also get some experience at Wiki editing. So that we don't have to go through all this.
Oh you are free to start any discussion here. Let's just hope you'd discuss with us first before doing anything. Until you're here, Good luck. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 17:31, 12 January 2014 (UTC)
As majority of the Odia Wikipedia community seldom visits Meta, I have also posted my reply with a link to the above discussion on Odia Wikipedia Village Pump here--Visdaviva (talk) 09:47, 12 January 2014 (UTC)
I had explained everying to my community in Odia wiki VP (its in Odia) . And one more thing - I am responsible for this, neither Psubhashish nor Visdaviva. Nobody influenced me for this. --ଶିତିକଣ୍ଠ ଦାଶ (talk) 16:04, 12 January 2014 (UTC)
Thanks for the note, though it was not needed. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 17:31, 12 January 2014 (UTC)

A note on incivility[edit]

Ansuman: Your passion is clear, and I am genuinely interested in your views on how to develop Wikimedia in Odia. However, your behaviour is unacceptable: you repeatedly engage in personal attacks (as above), assume bad faith, make unbased accusations (as above) and then fail to retract, not to mention apologize for doing so (as above). You also repeatedly assert you have "no time" for these discussions and that you don't intend to engage further, but you always do.

All this is costing you my (and, I'm sure, others') respect. I urge you to mend your ways, apologize, and return to the table to engage in good-faith discussion, both with me and with the A2K team, however much you disagree with their current strategy or actions. The only alternative is to exclude yourself and your opinions from consideration by continuing the misbehaviour. Please take a deep breath and reflect on this. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 18:03, 13 January 2014 (UTC)

  • Asaf, thanks for the note. My apologies to you if i misbehaved. Let me explain.
  • When I started discussing with A2K, they didn't respond, consider, and their response was not satisfactory (Several times I have mentioned these and i'm sure you noticed how they respond after months, after asking repeatedly). Eventually, i had to aggressive, uncivil. And it worked, so i don't blame myself completely.
  • I didn't want to apologise, because honestly I'm not. And i don't think my apology is going to make any difference. Anyway as a human to other humans, my apologies.
  • And as I said and implied several times, their mistakes and mess are not acceptable. Can i request you to do something about that. And don't you think they should also apologise for their mistakes, mess. It's okay if they don't want to.
  • And also at times I found Vishnu's words unacceptable like you found mine to you. But it's okay.
  • Their mistakes, mess costing the community a lot; time, efforts, growth, users. And this is going to get worse.
  • Nothing is personal here, so i'd not call "personal attacks" as you mentioned. Which accusation is baseless? "Stubs with AWB"? I already explained that above. And I seriously think, they fail to retract more often than me.
  • Yes, i don't have time for this (A2K), and i mean it. But when i feel the need to stop them, i try my best. Do we have any other options. I hope i made my points clear. Thanks. -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 08:00, 14 January 2014 (UTC)

Barnstar and a request for feedback[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png Individual Engagement Grant Barnstar
Thank you for commenting on Individual Engagement Grant proposals during this recent round! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts.

To help us improve the IEG program for future participants, would you mind taking this quick 3-question survey?

Thanks again for your help,

--Siko and Haitham, Wikimedia Foundation Grantmaking

Invitation for PO post translated[edit]

ಹಲೋ,

ನಾನು ಮರಾಠಿ ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಸಂದೇಶವನ್ನು ಭಾಷಾಂತರಿಸಿದ್ದಾರೆ. ನಾನು ಮರಾಠಿ ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ ಪ್ರಮುಖ ಸ್ಥಳಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಪೋಸ್ಟ್ ಕಾಣಿಸುತ್ತದೆ.

ಧನ್ಯವಾದಗಳು.

ಅಭಯ್ ನಾತು

ಅನುವಾದ ಪುಟ-ವಿಭಾಗ w:mr:User Talk:अभय नातू

p.s. - That's my crude attempt at a Kannada translation. Forgive any spelling/grammatical mistakes :-D

Hi Abhay Nathu, so nice of you! Thank you so much!! By the way as a non-native speaker my Kannada is very rusty :) and is not even better than what you attempted to post above ;) Thanks again!! --Visdaviva (talk) 19:51, 31 October 2014 (UTC)


Information Required For CIS- A2k 2013 - 2014 Q2[edit]

Dear Vishnu, I am writing to you with regards to a project i am working on. You can read all about this project via the link below:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement-wide_Financial_Report

I require assistance in obtaining the CIS-A2K Report for 2013 - 2014 Q2. I currently have access to the CIS-A2K WMF Grant Revised Budget (Approved) and Utilization Sept 12-Feb 13. (which does not cover up to December 2013). Can you direct me to who or where I can obtain this information? I look forward to your reply. Kind Regards User: Oolukoya (WMF) 15:31, 06 January 2015 (UTC)

Dear User: Oolukoya (WMF), sent an e-mail about this. --Visdaviva (talk) 14:18, 8 January 2015 (UTC)

Merchandise nomination[edit]

I am interested to nominate your name for a Merchandise T-shirt Merchandise giveaways/Nominations. In 2012-2013 I was nominating people directly, there I saw a discussion where a group of people told they would not like to be nominated there. Since then I am asking permission before nominating.
BTW, we Wikipedians nominated Jimbo Wales too. Someone nominated a bot too. It is just a token of appreciation and encouragement. Regards. --TitoDutta 11:12, 18 January 2015 (UTC)

  • BTW, I am interested to import few templates from En WP, those will allow me do to better formatting. I have asked Meta's help desk too. Do you know where should I ask? Best, --TitoDutta
Hi Tito da, Maybe I can help with import thing. What is it you need to import? ~ Nahid Talk 11:54, 18 January 2015 (UTC)
Tito, thank you for the encouragement. Coming from you, it means a lot (: --Visdaviva (talk) 13:02, 19 January 2015 (UTC)
  • Hi, I have nominated your name here. Best, TitoDutta 13:15, 19 January 2015 (UTC)

New message[edit]

You have new messages
Hello, Visdaviva. You have new messages at Talk:India Access To Knowledge/Work plan July 2014 - June 2015/Nurturing Mediawiki and Tech Talent in Indic Communities.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

--TitoDutta 21:11, 31 January 2015 (UTC)

A barnstar for you[edit]

Train the Trainer 2015 barnstar
CISA2K TTT group photo.jpeg

This barnstar is awarded to you in recognition of your leadership and presentation skills in the Train the Trainer 2015 program. We hope to have enriched your Wiki-experience and would like to see active contribution from you towards outreach and other Wiki-activities. Thank you once again for your enthusiastic participation. Smiley.svg -- CIS-A2K team (talk) 10:25, 3 March 2015 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

Vishnu, thanks for all the recent status updates made at Talk:India Access To Knowledge/Requests--Ravi (talk) 09:34, 11 March 2015 (UTC)

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:23, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback![edit]

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:08, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & review[edit]

WPCube.png

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment![edit]

NounProject Leaves.png

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:47, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)