Wiki Explores Cooch Behar - Phase I
Wiki Explores Cooch Behar - Phase I is a two-day event to document some areas of district of Cooch Behar, West Bengal, India. While the Cooch Behar town is popular among the tourists, Wikimedia Commons surprisingly has very less high-quality images of the place. The objective of this event is to photo-document the various heritage structures in the said area most of which have significantly less presence on Wikimedia commons.
- Photograph heritage sites at Cooch Behar Town, Baneshwar Shiva Temple, Madhupur Dham, Gosanimari excavation site and Kamteshwari temple. Done
- Upload media for the heritage structures of Cooch Behar district on Wikimedia Commons . Done
- Create / Update articles about the heritage structures on Bengali and English Wikipedia. Doing...
- Create / Update items in Wikidata. Doing...
Date: 20–21 January 2020
- 18.01.2020(Saturday) - Depart from Kolkata by Patadik Express at 23:20
- 19.01.2020(Sunday) - Reach New Cooch Behar station in the afternoon. Overnight at Hotel and Cooch Behar Town.
- 20.01.2020(Monday) - Photograph heritage building in the Cooch Behar Town. Overnight at Hotel and Cooch Behar Town.
- 21.01.2020(Tuesday) - Photograph heritage structures at Baneshwar Shiva Temple, Madhupur Dham, Gosanimari excavation site and Kamteshwari temple. Board Patadik Express in the afternoon. Reach Kolkata next day morning.
Places to be covered
[Note: Some places outside the sub-division will also be covered]
- CoochBihar Raj Bari and Park
- Madan Mohan Temple
- Baneshwar Shiva Temple
- Old District Magistrates Office
- District offices of Backward Classes Welfare Department(Kalyan Bhawan)
- MJN Hospital
- Head Post Office ( GPO)
- Victor Palace
- Bhola Ashram (Presently residence of Additional district magistrate)
- Maharaja Jitendra Narayan Club
- Jenkins School
- ABNS College
- Chilarai Barrack
- Siddheswari Temple
- Siddhanath Siva Temple
- Parijat Villa
- Railway Museum, Coochbihar
- Madhupur Dham Temple
- Gosanimari Rajpat
- Kamteswari Temple
|18.01.2020||Train Ticket||Patadik Express (Howrah to New Cooch Behar)||1080.00||Ticket Provided|
|19.01.2020||Breakfast in Train||50.00||No Bill|
|Toto Fare||New Cooch Behar Station to Yuvaraj Hotel||150.00||No Bill|
|Railway Museum Entry free||Northeast Frontier Railway, Alipurduar division||20||Bill Provided|
|20.01.2020||Toto Fare within the city||30.00||No Bill|
|CoochBehar Musuem Entry Fee||Archaeological Survey of India||25.00||Bill misplaced|
|21.01.2020||Hotel Bill (19.01.2020-21.01.2020)||Hotel Yuvaraj||2464.00||Bill Provided|
|Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (19.01.2020-20.01.2020)||Restaurant Monarch||1142.00||Bill Provided|
|Incidental expenses||Tipping Room service||100.00||No Bill|
|Car Expenses for visting Gosanimari, Baneswar, etc||Om Sai Travels||2600.00||Bill Provided|
|Photography Charges||Debottar Trust Coochbehar||60.00||Bill Provided|
|Parking Fees||Baneswar Gram Panchayat||20.00||Bill Provided|
|Lunch on 21.01.2020||Top Hotel||220.00||Bill Provided|
|AC Waiting Room Charge||Apex Industries||20.00||Bill Provided|
|Train Ticket||Patadik Express||1117.00||Train Ticket provided|
Comments on Tour
- Other than Chillarai Barrack which is a military barrack and does not allow photography, other places are easy to photographs. To get crowdless photos of Government building and Schools one has to visit them early morning, say by 9:00 am
- Coochbehar has many heritage buildings which are relatively unknown and difficult to locate. Local heritage expert Rishikalpa Paul informed me about these. Since I did not have any extra time, I am keeping these for my next exploration programme.
- One can visit the prominent heritage spots in the city in a day either by walking on foot or travelling in Toto. That way car cost can be saved which is expensive at Coochbehar.