Proyek-proyek Wikimedia sabagai suatu komunitas punyo babarapo prinsip dasar. Prinsip-prinsip ko dapek bakambang atau disampurnoan sairiang bajalannyo wakatu, namun dianggok ideal diparaluan bagi dasar proyek-proyek Wikimedia – tolong dibedoan jo Wikimedia Foundation (nan juo muncua dari proyek-proyek Wikimedia). Urang-urang nan sangaik indak basipakek jo nan lain diarokkan untuak manghormati nan basatuju sangkek kutiko bakolaborasi atau baaliah ka situs lain. Nan indak nio kadang-kadang baakhia maninggaan proyek tasabuik.
These principles include:
- Neutral point of view (NPOV) as a guiding editorial principle.
- The ability of almost anyone to edit (most) articles without registration.
- The "wiki process" as the final decision-making mechanism for all content.
- The creation of a welcoming and collegial editorial environment.
- Free licensing of content; in practice defined by each project as public domain, GFDL, CC BY-SA or CC BY.
- Maintaining room for fiat to help resolve particularly difficult problems. On a dozen projects, an Arbitration Committee has the authority to make certain binding, final decisions such as banning an editor.
Not all projects follow these principles in the same way.
- Some apply neutrality by allowing a plurality of items that are individually not neutral (Commons, which says "Commons is not Wikipedia, and files uploaded here do not necessarily need to comply with the Neutral point of view"), or have a simpler principle of 'being fair' (Wikivoyage, which says "Travel guides should not be written from a neutral point of view").
- Some allow non-wiki modes of collaboration and decision-making in some parts of their process (MediaWiki).
- Some allow limited use of fair-use media or other media that are not freely licensed.
- Wikimedia Foundation mission statement
- Wikimedia values — The six values of the Wikimedia Foundation
- In a nutshell, what is Wikipedia? And what is the Wikimedia Foundation? — The Wikimedia Foundation