User talk:Marcus Cyron
- 1 Arrogante Anmache
- 2 Links
- 3 Your question for the candidates
- 4 Steward confirmation
- 5 Question
- 6 Wikimedia Travel Guide: Naming poll open
- 7 "Ota Filip" Eintrag wiki de
- 8 Greetings
- 9 Beginning of MassMessage, end of EdwardsBot
- 10 Grant
- 11 Superprotect letter update
- 12 Thanks
- 13 Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey
- 14 Concerns about FDC membership
- 15 You have been nominated for a gift from the Wikimedia Foundation!
- 16 vielen dank
- 17 re
- 18 Jahresplanung 2016 von Wikimedia Deutschland
- 19 Celebrating WMF employees
- 20 How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?
- 21 Last call for WMF grants feedback!
- 22 Please sign new Wikimedia confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information by 31 December
- 23 Your comment at the FDC page
- 24 What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?
- 25 Future IdeaLab Campaigns results
- 26 Inspire Campaign on content curation & review
- 27 Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants
- 28 Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment!
- 29 Danke für deine Partizipation
- 30 soweego project: call for support
- 31 Just minor notification about wmflabs.org name verification tool
- 32 your message on the talk page
- 33 Community engagement survey for the Iceland Conference 2018
- 34 Wiki Loves Food
Ken, meiner Meinung nach bedarfst du einer Lektion in was eine Sprache ist und was ein Dialekt. Eine Sprache ist einfach ein Dialekt mit einem Heer und einem Staat! In Deutschland werden verschiedene unterschiedliche Sprachen gesprochen, und der einzige Grund auf dem sie manchmal 'Dialekte' genannt werden ist politisch: Das Dasein eines deutschen nationalen Staates. Hätte es die Idee des deutschen Volkes nicht gegeben, dann würde Pfälzisch nicht als deutscher Dialekt betrachtet werden. Bitte vertiefe dich mal in dieses Thema bevor du schon mal wieder gegen eine Wikipedia in einer Minderheitensprache stimmst! Caesarion 14:42, 18 March 2006 (UTC)
- Wo hast du diesen Unsinn her? Schon mal mit deutscher Sprachgeschichte beschäftigt? Im übrigen lasse ich mir von Niemandem vorschreiben, wie ich abzustimmen habe. Außerdem habt ihr doch nahezu alle - selbst die bescheuertsten - Sprachen durchbekommen. Selbst so einen Unsinn wie Kölsch gibt es jetzt und verstopft die Wiki. Kenwilliams 17:40, 27 March 2006 (UTC)
- Ob ich mich schon mal mit deutscher Sprachgeschichte beschaft habe? Eindeutig ja! Und das ist für mich genau der Grund diese Regionalsprachen als Einzelsprachen zu betrachten! Die deutsche Standardsprache ist aus dem Oberfränkischen entstanden, da haben Sprachen wie Baierisch, Alemannisch und Ripuarisch kaum einigen einfluss gehabt. Und noch mal: verwandt bedeutet nicht identisch oder gehörig. Jetzt mal ehrlich: betrachtest du das Norwegische, das Schwedische und das Danische, Sprachen die viel, viel leichter untereinander zu verstehen sind als Baierisch, Alemannisch und Ripuarisch, auch als Dialekte voneinander? Und sollten ihre Wikipedias geschlossen werden und eine pan-Skandinavische Wikipedia kreiert werden? Caesarion 14:59, 29 March 2006 (UTC)
- So einen Unsinn werde ich gar nicht weiter Diskutieren. In ein paar Generationen wird es nämlich noch norwegisch, dänisch und schwedisch geben, nicht jedoch deutsche Dialekte. Wenn du dich wirklich damit beschäftigt hättest, wüßtest du ob der Absurditäten, die du sagst. Kenwilliams 08:28, 15 April 2006 (UTC)
Hallo, es war genau mir Freude, Gespraechgelegenheiten mit dir zu haben! Dies sind die Linken, die ich dir sagte:
- "Translation requests/WMF/Our projects/De:" Revision am 17. Dez. 2006 (jetzt Redirekt)
- Translation requests/WMF/Our projects/de Deine Werkstatt ;)
Wenn du eine Frage hast, bitte mal besuch meine meta Diskussionsseite. Gruesse, --Aphaia 16:23, 9 March 2007 (UTC)
Your question for the candidates
I'm sorry, but your question for the candidates isn't terribly clear. I think it would be wise to post the same message in German, your mother tongue, so a German-to-English translator could then translate it into English. It would help prevent misunderstandings.
Thank you for your interest in the board elections,
Arria Belli | parlami 23:16, 24 May 2008 (UTC)
I added a statement. Regards, Yann 21:57, 2 February 2009 (UTC)
You asked me do you really had understand, what Stewards do? Yes, I do. But I find writing about fighting cross-wiki vandals, settling SUL accounts and other tedious things so lame, so I completely ommited it. Have I such experience? Yes I have. Will I do such work? Yes I will. I don't see a point writing so much about it, as it is necessary task for every responsible sysop & checkuser (which I am). I found more sensible is to write about my understanding of differences between Wikipedias, how good steward needs to understand how to approach them, with knowledge of culture and apprehension of differences, opposed to writing about what stewards really do every day. If you have any more questions for me, feel free to ask me. My regards! SpeedyGonsales 11:41, 7 February 2009 (UTC)
Wikimedia Travel Guide: Naming poll open
You are receiving this message because you voiced your opinion at the Request for Comment on the Wikimedia Travel Guide.
The proposed naming poll opened a few days ago and you can vote for as many of the proposed names as you wish, if you are eligible. Please see Travel Guide/Naming Process for full details on voting eligibility and how the final name will be selected. Voting will last for 14 days, and will terminate on 16 October at 06:59:59 UTC.
"Ota Filip" Eintrag wiki de
Ich brauche Hilfe mit der Webseite meines Vaters Ota Filip. http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ota_Filip&stable=0&shownotice=1 Die Information dort faellt unter: "Sie haben gravierende Fehler in einem Artikel über eine lebende Person (etwa Sie selbst) entdeckt". Ich habe versucht diese Seite zu 'bearbeiten', habe ich es wohl nicht richtig gemacht, und es kam zu "edit-war" zwischen mir und einigen Benutzern, was nicht meine Absicht war. Jetzt ist diese Seite von 'dandelo' gesperrt bis zum 3. November. Ich brauche dringend Hilfe - mit der richtigen Bearbeitung, und Quellen hinzufuegen, usw. damit ich die Fehler hier korrigieren kann. Z.B. Meine Grossmutter (die Mutter meines Vaters) war keine polnische Opernsaengerin, die Jahre die dort angeben sind falsch, usw. usw.
- Hi, sorry für die späte Antwort. Ich war schlicht nicht im Lande und das ist eine Seite, die ich nicht ganz so regelmäßig aufrufe. Ich habe jetzt mal in den Artikel geschaut, offenbar haben sich die Probleme geklärt. Oder gibt es noch welche? Marcus Cyron (talk) 23:37, 6 November 2012 (UTC)
Hello Marcus, thanks for your note. I would be glad to hear your thoughts on any of my answers (are you not going to ask one of your own? there are many interesting movement-network questions that have not been asked :) –SJ talk 19:03, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
- Hi. I don't think, that these kind of answers really help me to find my candidates. Simple Q&A mostly don't come to the center of a problem. But I don't have an better idea. And - actually I'm so frustrated with everything depending the Foundation, that my questions would be not so kind. But the canditates showing with there answers a special kind of respect for the comunity. CU in Hong Kong. Marcus Cyron (talk) 20:30, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
Beginning of MassMessage, end of EdwardsBot
Hi. You're being contacted as you're listed as an EdwardsBot user.
With over 400,000 edits to Wikimedia wikis, EdwardsBot has served us well; however EdwardsBot will no longer perform local or global message delivery after December 31, 2013.
I'm not going to drag the grant page down in to an argument, but I wanted to respond to a few things. First off: your comment implied that Steven isn't a content creator. Both Steven and myself are prolific content creators (him more so than me.) Second off: your comment suggested that the grant program is biased towards the United States. This is a graph of how the P&E grants program has distributed money, broken down by UN region. As you can see, Europe has received substantially more grant money than North and South America combined, as well as more money than all of Asia. If anything, this would suggest that the grants program has a pro-European bias, not a pro-US bias. I would further point out that, if you look at WMF donor distribution, more money comes from the US than from anywhere else. Also, as I already explicitly stated, I would have !voted against - in a heartbeat - a similar grant proposal were it targeting the US Congress instead of the EU Parliament. Given this set of facts, I struggle to see pro-US bias in the grants program. Kevin (talk) 22:46, 6 January 2014 (UTC)
- Whoops, I linked the wrong graph. That was by # of applications, not by total funds distributed. Nonetheless, a graph of total funds distributed looks quite similar. Kevin (talk) 23:02, 6 January 2014 (UTC)
Superprotect letter update
Hi Marcus Cyron,
Along with more hundreds of others, you recently signed Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer, which I wrote.
Today, we have 562 signatures here on Meta, and another 61 on change.org, for a total of 623 signatures. Volunteers have fully translated it into 16 languages, and begun other translations. This far exceeds my most optimistic hopes about how many might sign the letter -- I would have been pleased to gain 200 siguatures -- but new signatures continue to come.
I believe this is a significant moment for Wikimedia and Wikipedia. Very rarely have I seen large numbers of people from multiple language and project communities speak with a unified voice. As I understand it, we are unified in a desire for the Wikimedia Foundation to respect -- in actions, in addition to words -- the will of the community who has built the Wikimedia projects for the benefit of all humanity. I strongly believe it is possible to innovate and improve our software tools, together with the Wikimedia Foundation. But substantial changes are necessary in order for us to work together smoothly and productively. I believe this letter identifies important actions that will strongly support those changes.
Have you been discussing these issues in your local community? If so, I think we would all appreciate an update (on the letter's talk page) about how those discussions have gone, and what people are saying. If not, please be bold and start a discussoin on your Village Pump, or in any other venue your project uses -- and then leave a summary of what kind of response you get on the letter's talk page.
Finally, what do you think is the right time, and the right way, to deliver this letter? We could set a date, or establish a threshold of signatures. I have some ideas, but am open to suggestions.
- As long it helps at least one person, my mission was successfull! ;) Marcus Cyron (talk) 19:34, 28 March 2015 (UTC)
Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey
Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!
Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.
Concerns about FDC membership
Hello Marcus Cyron - I noticed your comments on the WMF Board candidate talk page, and in particular your concerns about candidates who had worked on the Funds Dissemination Committee. As a current member of the FDC, I am interested to know if you have specific concerns about the FDC. Would you be willing to share your concerns with me? Thank you, Risker (talk) 22:21, 4 May 2015 (UTC)
- Is far I can see it, the FDC is an enemy to the Comunity. Instead of giving to the comunities anything they want (the money is there), the FDC take it - as last year shown exemplarily with WMDE - from the money that's relly for the volunteers. And I also will remember Notafish's attempt to blackmail the members of WMDE by telling what will happen from the site of the FDC (she was member at the time) if we go our own way instead of what she wanted. In the last 2 years I lost all of my faith in the organs of the WMF - and forefront in the Board and the FDC. Marcus Cyron (talk) 08:04, 6 May 2015 (UTC)
You have been nominated for a gift from the Wikimedia Foundation!
You have been selected to receive a merchandise giveaway. Click the following link for more details: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Merchandise_giveaways/Nominations. Please send me an email (email@example.com) for instructions on how to claim your shirt. Thank you again for all you do! --JMatthews (WMF) (talk) 22:26, 5 May 2015 (UTC)
für deine fragen und beiträge zu den kandidaten für das board. das hat mir sehr geholfen. und ich hoffe, du siehst inzwischen den vorteil von wahlempfehlungen... ;) lg,--Poupou l'quourouce (talk) 07:59, 22 May 2015 (UTC)
- Ich habe ja keine empfehlungen ausgesprochen :) - aber wenn es half, gern geschehen. Wobei ich auch nicht wirklich viel Ahnung habe und eher intuitiv entscheide. Marcus Cyron (talk) 22:51, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
- And being an Admin is objective? OO Marcus Cyron (talk) 09:23, 10 June 2015 (UTC)
Jahresplanung 2016 von Wikimedia Deutschland
vielen Dank für deine Beiträge auf der Seite zur partizipativen Jahresplanung 2016 von Wikimedia Deutschland.
Celebrating WMF employees
Hi Marcus, I just noticed a comment you left on the Wikipedia Facebook profile. I haven't got a Facebook account, so you'll have to excuse me for answering here instead. Well… it was I who wrote Kunal's profile (I even drafted it here on Meta), so your comment about the Foundation celebrating their employees is quite mistaken — even more so as Kunal's profile follows the profiles of Jeevan Jose and Leigh Thelmadatter, both of whom are volunteers (and whose profiles were also written by me). In short, if you've got any criticism to make about that blog post, the Foundation — whoever you mean by that term — are not the ones that it should be addressed to; I am. odder (talk) 15:36, 26 July 2015 (UTC)
How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?
Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.
After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!
In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:
- Respond to questions on the discussion page of the idea.
- Join a small group conversation.
- Learn more about this consultation.
This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.
Last call for WMF grants feedback!
Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.
As you may know, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees approved a new "Access to nonpublic information policy" on 25 April 2014 after a community consultation. The former policy has remained in place until the new policy could be implemented. That implementation work is now being done, and we are beginning the transition to the new policy.
An important part of that transition is helping volunteers like you sign the required confidentiality agreement. All Wikimedia volunteers with access to nonpublic information are required to sign this new agreement, and we have prepared some documentation to help you do so.
The Wikimedia Foundation is requiring that OTRS volunteers sign the new confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015 to retain their access. You are receiving this email because you have been identified as an OTRS volunteer and are required to sign the confidentiality agreement under the new policy. If you do not sign the new confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015, you will lose your OTRS access. OTRS volunteers have a specific agreement available, if you have recently signed the general confidentiality agreement for another role (such as CheckUser or Oversight), you do not need to sign the general agreement again, but you will still need to sign the OTRS agreement.
Signing the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is conducted and tracked using Legalpad on Phabricator. We have prepared a guide on Meta-Wiki to help you create your Phabricator account and sign the new agreement: Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/How to sign
If you have any questions or experience any problems while signing the new agreement, please visit this talk page or email me (gvarnumwikimedia.org). Again, please sign this confidentiality agreement by 31 December 2015 to retain your OTRS access. If you do not wish to retain this access, please let me know and we will forward your request to the appropriate individuals.
Gregory Varnum (User:GVarnum-WMF), Wikimedia Foundation
Your comment at the FDC page
Marcus, I have trouble understanding exactly who the agents and recipients are in your statements (and would in any language, I suspect). Could you make it a little clearer? Tony (talk) 01:02, 24 November 2015 (UTC)
- FDC members = terrible, selfish people. Marcus Cyron (talk) 23:29, 27 November 2015 (UTC)
What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?
I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!
Here’s how to participate:
- Learn more about this consultation
- Vote on and submit new campaign topics in the AllOurIdeas Survey
- Discuss campaign topics and ask questions on the IdeaLab talk page
Future IdeaLab Campaigns results
Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.
With great thanks,
Inspire Campaign on content curation & review
I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.
All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:38, 29 February 2016 (UTC)
- a) the acting of the WMF as Chapter for the USA is not OK
- b) the WMF has to stay away from the project work. Marcus Cyron (talk) 15:01, 4 March 2016 (UTC)
Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants
Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.
- Submit a grant request or draft your proposal in IdeaLab
- Get help with your proposal in an upcoming Hangout session
- Learn from examples of completed Individual Engagement Grants
Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.
Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,
Danke für deine Partizipation
Hallo Marcus! Danke, dass du in dem FDC Q&A mitgemacht hast. Deine Fragen und die Antworten werden vom Board berücksichtigt wenn sie Ihre Entscheidung treffen. Ich hoffe sehr, dass wir irgendwie und irgendwann dein "Vertrauen in dieser Organisation" wieder erstellen können... Liebe Grüße, Delphine (WMF) (talk) 09:21, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
soweego project: call for support
Dear @Marcus Cyron:
Remember the Wikidata primary sources tool? Thanks to your support, my team has recently started building its next version (yes, the grant process took a long time). A couple of new features are deployed, so feel free to give them a try.
I'm reaching out to draw your attention on a new use case for the tool. The main goal is to add a massive amount of identifiers to Wikidata, ensuring live maintenance of links.
Do you think that Wikidata should become the central linking hub of open knowledge? If so, I'd be really grateful if you could endorse the soweego project:
You just have to click on the blue button in the infobox. Of course, any other comment is more than welcome on the discussion page.
Looking forward to your valuable feedback.
Just minor notification about wmflabs.org name verification tool
Just noticed that the: https://tools.wmflabs.org/pb/beta/user/name/Marcus%20Cyron/
gives "Internal Server Error" Thought You might want to know. Extra energy for You with Your epic struggle on Foundation,
"Freedom is not free," eh? -- Also, can You please give me few good pointers about understanding the "Say NO to fair use"
Only reasonable thread-talk i noticed, at first about the Fair-Use copyright issue was under that actor old video clip: https://vimeo.com/15634804
- We want to provide free content. Just and only free content. Fair use is not free. And and most countries in the world notusable. We lead users of our content on weak ways, by providing such stuff. And would be the Foundation more than a money collecting monster that would produce usable results and show respect to the authors (who are responsible for the collected money) I would not have a problem with them. I support structures. But not an bureocratic overhead. If I would have in generally a proble with such structures, I would not be member of 3 chapters. Marcus Cyron (talk) 13:25, 6 November 2017 (UTC)
your message on the talk page
@Avoided: du tust mir leid. Deine Krankheit scheint wirklich sehr tief zu gehen. Vielleicht solltest du doch darüber nachdenken, ärztliche Hilfe in Anspruch zu nehmen. Vielleicht bleibt dein Leben dann nicht so traurig und du kannst irgendwann wieder Energie auf etwas Sinnvolles richten. Was du in der Wikipedia tust ist jedenfalls keine Heldentat. Ein offenes System angreifen bringt nichts, zeigt wirklich nur die Gestörtheit des Angreifers. Also - suche dir eine/n guten Arzt/in, vielleicht ist noch irgend etwas zu retten. Marcus Cyron (talk) 20:12, 1 February 2018 (UTC)
Community engagement survey for the Iceland Conference 2018
|Hello Marcus Cyron,
As your username is indicated in the list of the members of the Commons Photographers User Group, you are kindely invited to answer this survey in the order to shape the upcoming Iceland Conference 2018 and help the organizing team.
Wiki Loves Food
Hello! After the successful pilot program by Wikimedia India in 2015, Wiki Loves Food (WLF) is happening again in 2018 and this year, we are going International. To make this event a grant success, your direction is key. Please sign up as a volunteer or sign up on behalf of your affiliate here.--Abhinav619 (talk) 16:18, 27 April 2018 (UTC)