Call for participation
We are looking for experienced volunteers for the AFRICA ENVIRONMENT WIKIFOCUS campaign, African Environment Day. Volunteers who would like to organize training, contribution or translation events throughout the month of March in order to contribute knowledge, images and data that will significantly enrich and increase existing knowledge on climate, climate change and environmental threats in Africa in Wikimedia projects. Micro-grants of up to 1500 USD will be allocated to local African communities for the occasion. Several types of activities are offered to organizers.
- Translate a Wikipedia article related to climate and the environment into their language (lists)
- Create or improve a Wikipedia article from our climate list, with a focus on creating articles such as "The climate in country X".
- Partner with local academic or activist organizations specializing in climate and/or environment to access and validate local data and documents.
- Focus an event on the profile of local women involved in climate change.
- Create a WikiProject Climat collaborative project in your language if it does not already exist.
- Add climate statistics and data from the African Union database to WikiData.
- Add local climate activists and environmental experts to Wikidata, etc.
- Participate in WikiAfrica alignment projects: Participated in WLA to win African Union awards and Participate in a WikiAfrica hour.
The type of activity and the form it will take is at the discretion of the organizer, so don't hesitate to look at what is being done elsewhere or even innovate.
Applications should include a schedule of planned events, potential local partners, team biographies and a detailed budget. Grants will be reviewed and approved by a jury based on the quality of their proposal. Recipients will be required to sign a contract (with document delivery milestones), provide key contact information and bank details.
Specific criteria for your grant application
The grant will cover expenses related to activities carried out in March 2023, in relation to the Africa Environment initiative. Individuals, groups and organizations can apply (membership is not required for organizations and groups). All requests between $100 and $1,500 will be considered.
Grant applications and reports can be submitted in French or English. The successful application may be awarded regardless of the recipient's geography (anywhere on the planet), but individuals/groups located in Africa will be given more favorable consideration.
Proposals should aim to improve one or more of Wikimedia's existing websites, but preferably Wikipedia and Wikidata. It is strongly advised to propose activities that would align with the list of proposed activities on the African Environment Day homepage.
The first requests will be served first, until the fund is exhausted. Once the fund is fully allocated, no applications will be considered. Therefore, requests submitted earlier are more likely than requests served later.
In any case, requests will not be received after February 28, 2023. The following basic criteria must be met by all applicants for a proposal to be considered:
- Proposals to improve third-party applications or services are not eligible for funding and will be discarded.
- Grantees must adhere to the Universal Code of Conduct and Friendly Spaces policies.
- Applicants must be in good standing for any ongoing activity funded by the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia France, Wikimedia Switzerland and WikiFranca.
- Works and contributions must be able to be published within the framework of open access ethical agreements.
- Applicants receiving funding must not be Wikimedia Foundation staff or contractors working more than part-time (more than 20 hours per week).
- Applicants must be in good standing with respect to ethical behavior within the community (e.g. social behavior, financial behavior, legal behavior, etc.)
Your request may typically include
- Internet connection fees, data vouchers
- Rental of a space to organize an edit-a-thon
- Certificate of attendance
- Small gifts for participants
- Babysitting services during events
- Small transport costs
- Registration fees at a local library
- Purchase of books
- Food during the edit-a-thon
- Rental of a projector
- Social Media Ads
- Software service fees
What we ask you not to submit
- Items to throw away
- Non-reusable material that could be wasted (printed documents, single-use banner, etc.).
Lists of Africa Environment Wikifocus requests in 2023
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate and Weather trainings and Edit-a-thons in Ruhengeri
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Wiki for Climate
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Wiki For Senior Citizen Network Environment Edit a Thon/Training
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Photo Walk for Climate, South Sudan
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Naija Climate Translate-a-thon
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/My Nigerian Ecosystem: An Edith-a-ton
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Let’s fight climate change and the gender gap on Wikipedia
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Everyday Stories of Climate Change in Northern Uganda
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Environmental Advocacy Through Photo Walk in Ghana
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Empowering the Local Women through Environmental Awareness through Translation
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Botswana Climate Change article creation, improvement and translation edit-a-thon
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Africa’s Climate change representation on wikidata
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Rwanda Environment and Climate change article creation, improvement, translatin and edit-a-thon
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Localization and Advocacy for Climate Awareness for the Gurene Wikimedia Community
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Accuratecy051
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate Change Translate-a-thon
- Creating Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climatic and Environmental Awareness in Nigeria
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Documenter le climat et l'environnement du Cameroun
- Africa Environment/Microfinancement/Sensibilisation sur les effets du changement climatique dans la région de Yangambi
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Zimbabwe Climate change Awareness
- Africa Environment/Microfinancement/Africa Environnement Drive in Togo
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Green Advocacy in Nigeria through the Knowledge Advancement of Eco/Green Focused Projects & Developments on Open Source in Lagos, Nigeria
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate change awareness in Lilongwe, Malawi
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate change and environment word-a-thon in Bugema University Diaspora students
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Africa Environment/Mircrofunding/Africa/Ivory Coast, Edit-A-Thon contribution of Podcasters
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate Change Awareness through Photo walk in Nairobi, Kenya
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Rwanda Climate Change and clean energy edit-a-thon
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Women Voices on Climate South Sudan
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Africa Environment/Microfunding/climate change and environment edit-a-thon in Bugesera, in Eastern Rwanda
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Nigeria climates edit a thon
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate change articles creation, Translation and awareness in Gusau, Zamfara State, Nigeria
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Africa Environment/Microfunding/climate change in the Northeast Ghana
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Yatunze Yakutunze - Tanzanian University Students Wikimedians User Group
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Urban wetlands protection and advocacy campaign in Rwanda
- Africa Environment/Microfinancement/Ma contribution dans le domaine du climat pour le bien du BURUNDI et du monde entier
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Community Climate change awareness
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climatic Change Articles Creation, Improvement, Translation and Local Women Awareness about Climatic Change
- Africa Environment/Microfinancement/Changement climatique et plaidoyer environnemental au Togo à travers ewe Wikipedia
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Africa Environment/Microfunding/Rwanda going green mindsets and Lifestyle Awareness
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/ Using Images For Climate Change Awarenes/Bidibidi Refugee Settlement
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate Change Awareness In Ghana
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Representing Africans Advocacy for Climate change, Ogun State, Nigeria
- Africa Environment/Microfinancement/Visibilité du Climat in Côte d’Ivoire
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Activating Awareness for Climate and Environmental change in Lagos State University of Education
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Africa Environnement 2023 en Guinée
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/RDC:Droit à un climat stable et à un environnement sain
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/The Africa Open Biodiversity Campaign
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Africa Environment/Microfunding Awareness on climate change through Translate a thon in Nigerian igbo language
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Empowering the Fulfulde Community through Environmental Awareness Through Translation
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/I need $100 for data reimbursement
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Documenting Climate Change and Environment Information in Niger Delta
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate Change and Environment Edit-a-thon in Ibadan, Nigeria
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Nigerian Universities Wiki Clubs Climatic and Environmental Change Training and Edit-a-thon
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Wiki-ing the Way to a Sustainable Future: A Youth Environmental Literacy Edit-A-thon in Osun State
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Awareness on Climate Change through Translate-a-thon in Nigerian Pidgin
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate Change in Western Nigeria by communication Students
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Transforming Knowledge in the Igbo community by spreading Environmental insights through Translation
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Nigerian Wikimedians for Sustainable Development Climate Change Champions Edit-a-thon in Ilorin Nigeria
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Gungbe Voices on Climate Change and Environment
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Swahili Climatic Change and Environment voices in Northern Tanzania
- Africa Environment/Microfunding/Climate Change and Northern Nigeria Environment