Grants:Conference/Hindi Wikimedians/Hindi Wikipedia Conference 2018
This Wikimedia Foundation grant has a fiscal sponsor. Emerson College administered the grant on behalf of Hindi Wikimedians User Group.
Purpose and vision
Please give a brief description of the event you are planning. What do you hope to accomplish during the event? Why is this event important for your community?
Hindi is world's 4th most spoken language. Hindi Wikipedia is biggest Indic Language Wikipedia. It has 1,17,000+ articles.Around 258 million (258,000,000) people in India reported Hindi to be their native language. We have less than 50 active regular editors. Hindi Wikipedia needs more offline activities (meet-ups/conferences) for improvement. Developing Hindi Wikipedia Community and projects is very important since it will serve more than 258 million people.
Future of Hindi is bright. According to Google-KPMG Report - Hindi internet users are expected to outnumber those accessing the web in English by 2021, Hindi users are estimated to reach 201 million (20.1 crore) as against the English userbase of 199 million (19.9 crore) in 2021.
This meet-up will help us to plan a strategy for Hindi Wikipedia outreach and development.
- Three day meet-up of Hindi Wikipedians in January 2018.
- Workshops to promote Hindi Wikipedia and Wikisource.
- Discussions regarding the future of Hindi Wikimedians User Group.
Please add key information to the table below. The dates, location and number of participants can be estimates and do not need to be finalized at this time.
|Proposed date(s)||12th, 13th and 14th January 2018|
|Number of participants||30|
|Primary contact person|
Use the results from the community engagement survey to fill in the table below. Since you cannot cover all topics or meet all needs at one event, prioritisation is important. Please rank the priority of each topic, skill, project or problem as high, medium or low. Finally, please answer the questions below the table.
What are the top issues affecting your community that need to be discussed in person?
-Lack of outreach activities
Are there important skills that many people in your community need to learn?
|Yes, In order to maximize output,
Community needs help
in understanding existing WMF resources
and basic training on how to use them
(Rapid/Project Grant etc)
Are there joint projects that need to be planned in person?
|Yes, few members have pilot projects
in mind that needs discussion in person.
Are there other in-person activities are important for community building?
|Team building exercises and get-to-know
each other activities
- How many people did you send the survey to? How many people responded to the survey?
- 30 people responded
- Did you see consensus around shared goals that this community wants to focus on in the next 12 months? What were the top 2 goals?
- Community building and Outreach programs are top two goals identified by 75% of survey participants.
- Based on survey responses, what are the most important things your community should do at the conference to achieve those goals?
- Participate in brainstorming session and design a plan to do effective outreach.
Community Endorsements on Hindi Wikipedia Village Pump - Click here.
It is helpful to get an understanding of why this event is important to your community, and what experiences you have had in the past. Please answer the applicable questions below.
- 1. What inspired your community to begin planning this event?
- Hindi is world's 4th most spoken language. Hindi Wikipedia is biggest Indic Language Wikipedia. We have 1,17,969+ articles and 258 million (258,000,000) people in India reported Hindi to be their native language. Hindi Wikipedia needs more offline activities (meet-ups/conferences) for improvement. During India Community Consultation 2014 Hindi Wikipedians requested special attention towards Hindi Wikipedia, everyone encouraged representatives to take lead and plan activities. This meet-up will be effort towards same.
- 2. How does this event relate to other activities that your community is working on?
- This will be the only activity in recent times and this conference will help us to plan further activities.
- 3. Please list the priorities identified in the report from the last conference organized by this community. What progress have you made in those areas?
- This is the first national level conference after 3 years and priority is to make sure next conference is held at-least once every year.
- 4. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what key lessons were learned, and what would you like to improve on?
- Key lessons :
- Plan in advance (at-least one month),
- appoint separate volunteer / travel agency to manage travel bookings
- book venue close to airport/railway station,
- provide scholarship reimbursement right after conference.
- Key lessons :
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
The meeting aims to discuss topics and issues in Hindi Wikipedia.
- Discussion over Report of Previous Conference (Jan-2017, Bhopal) and Identify areas of improvement for future meet-ups/conferences.
- Deliberations over ways & means to improve quality of articles, policies review, co-ordinated development, Training and addressing editing related problems of members.
- Discussion over the formation, management, future strategies of newly formed User Group Hindi Wikimedians
- Discussion on strategies for offline activities e.g. outreach/institutional partnerships
- Development of sister projects like Hindi Wikisource, Hind Wikitravel etc.
Detailed agenda is placed at Village Pump on Hindi Wikipedia.
We would deem these celebrations a success, if:
- at least 25 active Hindi Wikipedians and enthusiasts attend the meeting.
- discussion about tricky wiki policies takes place.
- at-least one blog-post on WMF blog portal.
- at-least one video short film about conference experience.
- a detailed documentation of ideas/issues/strategies/policies discussed at the meeting is produced;
- project plan for programatic work (writing competitions, government outreach, institutional partnership etc)
- If the feedback of the participants would be generally positive.
Venue and Logistics
- 1. If the venue is more than 1 hour away from a major airport or transportation hub, how will participants travel to the event venue?
- Venue will be less than 1 hour commute from airport or railway station. It will be easily accessible by public transport subway as well as bus stop.
- 2. Is the event venue within walking distance from the hotel? If not, how will people travel between the two locations?
- Hotel and Conference Venue is same.
- 3. Is the event venue and hotel accessible for people with physical disabilities?
- 4. Do you anticipate any challenges with using the space for the event you are planning?
Friendly space policy
Please link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.
It is crucial that most participants have a minimum level of Wikimedia experience so that they can engage actively in workshops and discussions. Please answer all applicable questions below.
- 1. Please describe the target audience for this conference or event.
- Hindi Wikipedians who are already familiar with open source culture.
- 2. If your conference has an outreach component, how will you ensure engagement with these participants after the conference, and what impact do you see them having on the projects?
- We will brainstorm on outreach plans. We will form teams during the conference for outreach and Village Pump will be notified accordingly.
- 3. Are you thinking about inviting WMF staff to attend or participate in the event? If yes, please list individuals or teams who you may want to invite, or describe how you would like WMF staff to be involved in the event.
- Video Call if possible : Katherine Meher, Asaf Bartov, Kacie Harold and Marti Johnson.
- 1. How many scholarships would you like to offer?
- 2. What expenses will the scholarship cover?
- Round-trip ticket + 3 day accommodation + all meals + program guide + local
- 3. How will scholarship recipients be selected?
- Scholarship team (elected by community) will select scholarship recipients.
Resources and risks
Describe the resource potential for successfully executing this project and the key risks/threats.
- Organizing team
|WMF Liaison||Abhishek Suryawanshi|
- We have years of experience carrying out local outreach and organizing events.
- Suyash Dwivedi : Organiser of Hindi Wikipedia Conference,14-15 January 2017 at Bhopal (India)
- Abhishek Suryawanshi : Organizer of Hindi Wikipedia Conference 2015, Director, Wikipedia Summit Pune and logistic manager - WikiConferenceIndia 2011.
We are working together with help of Hindi Wikipedia community to plan the program and manage logistic.
- We are going to organize this meetup to touch soul of Hindi Wikimedian by two ways. Issues which can be resolved via healthy talk is the first and second is sharing experience with new or inexperience users. These two things will boost activity of hi.wiki. Our focus will be on these. NehalDaveND (talk) 04:48, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
- Abhinav Srivastav : Volunteer at WikiConference India 2011, Mumbai. Organizing Committee Wiki Conference India 2016, Chandigarh. Organized Hindi Wiki Sammelan 2015, Delhi. Previous EC member at Wikimedia India.
- Event budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost in INR||Total cost in USD (approximate)||Notes|
|1||Conference Hall||Conference hall for two days + celebration space
50 people capacity
|1||25,000||385||Discounted rate in same hotel for 'three days' |
Another small conference room for 20 people complimentary.
|2||Accommodation||Twin sharing rooms for three day.||7000/room x 10 rooms x 3 days||7000||02,10,000||3236|
includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and free WiFi for all three days.
|3||Travel||Travel scholarships||20||7000||01,40,000||2158||For top contributors and interested participants across India|
|4||Video Documentation||Short interview videos of experienced Wikipedians + short documentary of entire conference||2||10,000||20000||308||Will be released on commons as well as on other social media platforms. These videos can beed in WMF
as well other post-conference blogs.
|4||Felicitation / Gifts||Memento for participants and active contributors recognising their contribution.||20||500||10,000||155||+Thanksgiving to Administrators on Hindi Wikipedia|
|5||Print Material||(Banners/I-Cards/Posters etc)||variable||3,000||47|
|8||Administrative costs||fiscal sponsor/partner||1||N/A||90850||1400||Accounting, reporting, documentation etc by fiscal sponsor|
- Total cost of event
- Budget - Applied for (INR) 508,850/- ($7843*) (*As of 23rd Sept 2017, $1 = ~65 INR)
- Total amount requested from the Conference and Event Grants program
- Budget - Applied for (INR) 508,850/- ($7843*) (*As of 23rd Sept 2017, $1 = ~65 INR)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this event, and amounts funded
- Please confirm that you are aware that changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Budget will be tracked using spreadsheet from WikiCon India 2016
- Emerson College acting as fiscal sponsor
- Support -- BR Jangid (talk) 17:03, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Muzammil (talk) 17:36, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support -Jayprakash12345 (talk) 17:56, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support - अजीत कुमार तिवारी (talk) 18:30, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support--Raju Jangid (talk) 18:47, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support--Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 20:03, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Satdeep Gill (talk) 03:46, 29 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support--ए ० एल ० मिश्र (talk)
- Support--Sukeerti Dwivedi (talk) 11:38, 29 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Jaseem Ali Ansari Talk 03:59, 30 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Abhinav619 10.56, 30th March 2017
- Support -- AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 17:54, 3 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Bijay Chaurasia (Talk) 15:15, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- NehalDaveND (talk) 05:57, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 06:10, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Prakhar Dwivedi (talk) 15:25, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Shreya Dwivedi (talk) 07:34, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Anamdas (talk) 07:44, 13 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --आर्यावर्त (talk) 00:50, 22 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support I would like to see the Hindi wiki community come together to advocate for its own interests. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:30, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Kiran Ravikumar (talk) 15:06, 3 May 2017 (UTC)
- Support Good to see back on tracks. This conference is very much required to strengthen the Hindi Wikimedia Community, that is spread over a wide area. Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 09:54, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support The community is widely spread across the country and no localized language specific event could be organised because of the same. This event will really help in strengthening the community and will also assist in planning the future of the movement.Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 18:05, 25 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Ashish Bhatnagartalk 19:40, 28 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support -Hindust@niक्या करें? बातें! 18:56, 30 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support - Jim Carter (talk) 14:15, 6 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support--Saroj Uprety (talk) 14:41, 6 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support--Shypoetess (talk) 00:37, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support--Kalamkaar (talk), 12 December 2017 (UTC)