Grants:Conference/Hindi Wikimedians/Hindi Wikipedia Conference, June 2017 at Delhi (India)
Hindi is world's 4th most spoken language. Hindi Wikipedia is biggest Indic Language Wikipedia. It has 1,17,000+ articles.Around 258 million (258,000,000) people in India reported Hindi to be their native language. We have less than 50 active regular editors. Hindi Wikipedia needs more offline activities (meet-ups/conferences) for improvement. Developing Hindi Wikipedia Community and projects is very important since it will serve more than 258 million people.
Future of Hindi is bright. According to Google-KPMG Report - Hindi internet users are expected to outnumber those accessing the web in English by 2021, Hindi users are estimated to reach 201 million (20.1 crore) as against the English userbase of 199 million (19.9 crore) in 2021.
This meet-up will help us to plan a strategy for Hindi Wikipedia outreach and development.
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
The meeting aims to discuss topics and issues in Hindi Wikipedia.
- Discussion over Report of Previous Conference (Jan-2017, Bhopal) and Identify areas of improvement for future meet-ups/conferences.
- Deliberations over ways & means to improve quality of articles, policies review, co-ordinated development, Training and addressing editing related problems of members.
- Discussion over the formation, management, future strategies of newly formed User Group Hindi Wikimedians
- Discussion on strategies for offline activities e.g. outreach/institutional partnerships
- Development of sister projects like Hindi Wikisource, Hind Wikitravel etc.
Detailed agenda is placed at Village Pump on Hindi Wikipedia.
- Two day meet-up of Hindi Wikipedians in May - June.
- Workshops to promote Hindi Wikipedia and Wikisource.
- Discussions regarding the future of Hindi Wikimedians User Group.
Hindi Wikipedia and Hindi Wikisource
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Hindi is world's 4th most spoken language. Hindi Wikipedia is biggest Indic Language Wikipedia. We have 1,17,969+ articles and 258 million (258,000,000) people in India reported Hindi to be their native language. Hindi Wikipedia needs more offline activities (meet-ups/conferences) for improvement. During India Community Consultation 2014 Hindi Wikipedians requested special attention towards Hindi Wikipedia, everyone encouraged representatives to take lead and plan activities. This meet-up will be effort towards same.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- We would deem these celebrations a success, if
- at least 25 active Hindi Wikipedians and enthusiasts attend the meeting.
- discussion about tricky wiki policies takes place.
- a detailed documentation of ideas/issues/strategies/policies discussed at the meeting is produced;
- project plan for programatic work (writing competitions, government outreach, institutional partnership etc)
- If the feedback of the participants would be generally positive.
Budget - Applied for (INR) 438,000/- ($6776)
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost in INR||Total cost in USD (approximate)||Notes|
|1||Conference Hall||Conference hall for two days + celebration space
50 people capacity
|25,000||387||Discounted rate in same hotel for 'two days'
Another small conference room for 20 people complimentary.
|2||Accommodation||Twin sharing rooms for three day.||30||7000||02,10,000||3247||
includes lunch,dinner and free WiFi for both days.
|3||Travel||Travel scholarships||20||6000||01,80,000||2783||For top contributors and interested participants across India|
|4||Felicitation / Gifts||Memento for participants and active contributors recognising their contribution.||20||500||10,000||155||+Thanksgiving to Administrators on Hindi Wikipedia|
|5||Print Material||(Banners/I-Cards/Posters etc)||3,000||47|
|7||Miscellaneous||10,000||155||reserves and unexpected costs|
- We have years of experience carrying out local outreach and organizing events.
- Suyash Dwivedi : Organiser of Hindi Wikipedia Conference,14-15 January 2017 at Bhopal (India)
- Abhishek Suryawanshi : Organizer of Hindi Wikipedia Conference 2015, Director, Wikipedia Summit Pune and logistic manager - WikiConferenceIndia 2011.
We are working together with help of Hindi Wikipedia community to plan the program and manage logistic.
- We are going to organize this meetup to touch soul of Hindi Wikimedian by two ways. Issues which can be resolved via healthy talk is the first and second is sharing experience with new or inexperience users. These two things will boost activity of hi.wiki. Our focus will be on these. NehalDaveND (talk) 04:48, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
Community Endorsements on Hindi Wikipedia Village Pump - Click here.
- Support -- BR Jangid (talk) 17:03, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Muzammil (talk) 17:36, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support -Jayprakash12345 (talk) 17:56, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support - अजीत कुमार तिवारी (talk) 18:30, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support--Raju Jangid (talk) 18:47, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support--Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 20:03, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Satdeep Gill (talk) 03:46, 29 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support--Ashish Bhatnagartalk 04:31, 29 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support--ए ० एल ० मिश्र (talk)
- Support--Sukeerti Dwivedi (talk) 11:38, 29 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Jaseem Ali Ansari Talk 03:59, 30 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Abhinav619 10.56, 30th March 2017
- Support -- AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 17:54, 3 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Bijay Chaurasia (Talk) 15:15, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- NehalDaveND (talk) 05:57, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 06:10, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Prakhar Dwivedi (talk) 15:25, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Shreya Dwivedi (talk) 07:34, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Anamdas (talk) 07:44, 13 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --आर्यावर्त (talk) 00:50, 22 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support I would like to see the Hindi wiki community come together to advocate for its own interests. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:30, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Kiran Ravikumar (talk) 15:06, 3 May 2017 (UTC)