User talk:Mav/archive 1

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

oldest talk[edit]

testing talk link

Switch Logo to sd.wikinews.org?[edit]

Sindhi

  • for the sd.wikinews.org, please switch logo. The proposed one is here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Sd_wikinews_logo.png (how can i protect it? coz at sd.wikinews upload is disabled) http://sd.wikinews.org/wiki/Image:Sd_wikinews_logo.png (the page is protected) I can't upload files because uploading is disabled. Thanks Alixafar 18:15, 2 October 2006 (UTC)

Admin Abuse[edit]

Daniel, A group of editors and admins refuse to allow a balance of material and links. Gamaliel, Robert McClenon, Jpgordon, JamesMLane, and a few others now own the pages. Any attempts to modify the page is met by thier gang edits. They allow only links to pro kennedy sites, none to negative sites regardless of the wealth of content they may provide. They push their pov on all of the Kennedy pages. It's because of editors and admins like these that Wikipedia is doubted as a source. ie; the New York Times published policy against Wiki as a source. The group refuses to agree to consensus when it is against them. I've now been blocked by Jpgordon in an abuse of admin priv. My act was not vandalism, it's simply not agreeing with their one sided pov. I am not willing to endure any more arb or mediation. These guys are out of control. 24.147.103.146 05:45, 25 January 2006 (UTC)



I'm going to make interlanguage links work as inline links instead of magic top-of-the-page-links on the meta. But I ain't done yet. ;) Once done, en: and w: should be equivalent. --Brion VIBBER 01:04 Oct 10, 2002 (UTC)
Excellent! Although after the English Wikipedia is moved to en.wikipedia.org then w: links will still go to www.wikipedia.org, no? This is probably an important behavior to have, although that would break a lot of current w: links if some type of conversion script isn't done. --mav
Well, last I checked the consensus was for wiki-links to www.wikipedia.* to continue to redirect to the English wiki for backwards compatibility with old links. Likewise, "w:" is just backwards compatibility, and are just an alias for the English wiki. No? --Brion VIBBER 01:12 Oct 10, 2002 (UTC)

Hm. But when we do have the non-profit set-up it will be at www.wikipedia.org and probably have its own wiki (maybe with an uber Recent Changes showing every edit made in each Wikipedia encyclopedia). Therefore it makes perfect sense to have w: links go there. If needed I can convert the w: links to en: links -- there couldn't be more than a few scores of pages with them and find and replace will be easy on each one of them. --mav

I would have thought that stuff would go here on the meta wiki? --Brion VIBBER 01:19 Oct 10, 2002 (UTC)

please read my answer on my talk page to see why some reject your mono-view of what a brainstorming and vote should be on Wikipedia - 212


As requested. --Brion VIBBER 04:55 6 Mar 2003 (UTC)

Wow that was fast! Thank you. :-) --mav

There are so many pages about the development of Wikipedia, that I do not know where to put my concern: everything is heading towards the xx.wikipedia.org's. But what with languages that do not have a 2-letter ISO 639 code? At least all subdomains xyz.wikipedia.org should be reserved for a possible ISO 639 three letter implementation. Tobias Conradi 02:25 7 May 2003 (UTC)


Hey mav, I think I've got wikimedia.org configured right now. It'll probably be a day or two before the DNS change goes completely through. --Brion VIBBER 01:29 19 May 2003 (UTC)

Cool - Thanks! :) --mav

sori four ze misspealin. Ant

All is well. :-) --mav

i zink, yu or delibarately miss-understendin wat i tri tu say. anth貥 (with a square for a change - and anyway, Anth貥 is not me anymore :-))


Hi, I am a new comer here, and I found u at Queer wikipedians. I am now working mainly on Chinese verision about gay-related articals. And I think you can help me a lot. Hopefully we can be friends! :D --Gboy 04:08, 9 Jul 2003 (UTC)


Agreed that there was too much in Wikimedia's first press release - and that claims were hyped. Please review Wikimedia press release for staging and planning an effective and balanced series of these, to be released over time, that will each hit a specific audience, and identify those "internal politics" questions that must be settled before committing to a public position.

Ambassadors[edit]

Hi Mav, can you add also to your email re meta:Talk:Wikimedia's_first_press_release#Per-language_contacts?_(Ambassadors?) that we are still looking for translators! There is e.g. no "full" translator for germany yet...

There should be more then one per language, I think.


Thanks, Fantasy 20:58, 12 Aug 2003 (UTC)


I moved your vote which was below entry 38, but above the title of entry 39 to the voting spot for entry 38. If this was incorrect, please correct. { MB | マイカル } 20:23, 27 Aug 2003 (UTC)


You are not a logo judge... and you cant yourself delete logo 1b ! You must talk about this problem with another wikipedian before to do this !

You must know that it is Paullus himself who add logo 1b on finalist page. I dont ask him to do... And Paullus prevent on his comment page that he decide himself if he submit another logo variant.

o| Oliezekat 12:10, 7 Sep 2003 (UTC)
Then stop supporting people who put logo variants on the finalist list that were not voted on. --mav

(Oliezekat, under the assumption that it wasn't me who had added the logo, mav was probably justified in deleting it with only an edit summary.)

I did add Oliezekat's variant. If someone else had added it, it would have been justified to be removed (because the limit in the number of variants implies that the enterant alone chooses the variants). I see that Oliezekat's modification to the page probably made it look like he added it. Oh, that reminds me, I forgot to set up a new comments page for the variant so that Mav could make his objections. I didn't want to unilatirally split up the comments for everyone's variants, but I guess I probably ought to before I drive the two of you crazy. Paullusmagnus 13:24, 7 Sep 2003 (UTC)

As I understand it, during this ten-day period, we may both modify our logos and submit new variants. (Maybe Eloquence or someone else could clear this up.) I was intending to submit a black and white simplified version of this, because some people believe that my current version is too cluttered. Again, I think that mav's objections to the Miwiki variant are objections to its being selected, not voted on. Please have confidence that the people will understand your reasoning for objecting to Miwiki because both you and they are rational. If Oliezekat doesn't mind, I'll name the link to the comments page for the variant "comments and Maverick149's objection" because people probably should know about the mascot issue.
Also, please don't act so hostile to each other. Remember that the issue that is making everything here so contentious is a question of whether Wikipedia's mascot should be an ant or a centipede. This is frustrating to me because I think that Wikipedia will never really have a mascot. For my sake, don't bite each other's heads off. Paullusmagnus 13:24, 7 Sep 2003 (UTC)
(P.S. I have taken the liberty of removing Olie's header for the sake of peaceful consensus.)
Restore the Miwiki variant if you wish. Procedural misunderstanding on my part. --mav
My understanding of the first vote phase is we had to vote to concepts, not final logos. If the original logo author thinks a new logo variant corresponding to his concept, I don't see where is the problem he adds it to vote. Aoineko 14:17, 7 Sep 2003 (UTC)

Paullusmagnus is correct -- he is allowed to choose variants of his logo, even if they have been designed after the first vote (I haven't checked to see if this is the case here). This is to encourage optimizations and refinements of the existing logos.—Eloquence 14:35, 7 Sep 2003 (UTC)

Mav; I'd like to move the current Wikiversity page to the talk namespace, and replace it with a more formal description of the proposed project. If I can do this, the current page becomes the talk page for its replacement. Two questions: 1. Can I move it this way, or do I need to copy and paste? and 2. What do you think of the idea? Thanks, LouI 18:41, 8 Sep 2003 (UTC)

Yes you can move the main page to the talk page. --mav


Mav, I'm removing all the old comments from image talk:paullusmagnus-logo (small).png (the page was getting way too unwieldy). I tried to summarize your position on Miwiki, but it sounds really weird in the 3rd person, so I suggest that you replace that with your own summary. Paullusmagnus 20:38, 15 Sep 2003 (UTC)


Hi!
I updated the Swedish translation of the pressrelease just now. Sorry for not staying tuned.
/ Mats 22:48, 22 Sep 2003 (UTC)

You seem to be far more in tune than others! :) I just sent out the notice a few hours ago. --mav

Hello again! There’s been no news on the press release since October 10. I guess the cause is the server update, but I’d feel more relaxed if you could throw in a brief note.
Thanks! / Mats 15:58, 4 Nov 2003 (UTC)



Hello Mav, err, I can't find back the article you moved for us (french and german) for the translation (donation related). I would like to put it on our home page, under a list...articles to translate :-)

Where is it ?

Anthere 22:47, 20 Oct 2003 (UTC)


thanks Mav

Btw, I feel rather sad you see my flower as unhealthy. It was nearly 2 meters high, a perfectly healthy flower in a very productive field; which gave high satisfaction in an otherwise quite sad year in terms of agricultural productivity in France. It had no disease, no insect, no water needs unsatisfied (at that point). It did not suffer hail either (which hit later, but not that field). In case you find the center color unhealthy, that is just the natural color of a flower at the beginning of flowering. And the color of the center, the size of the flower and length of petals are all variety dependant. So, perhaps you consider my flower not pretty, but it was not unhealthy. Does that looks unhealthy ?

I should not have said "unhealthy", I should have said "not as pretty as the first one Erik used". Sorry about that. --mav
but the first one was copyrighted :-)

re: 142 You're fortitude is commendable, I don't know I would have the patience. Its a pity that s/he insist on 'working' from outside the system, refusing to accept the basic ground rules, because s/he does have an interesting pov. Unfortunately they don't realize that if they were a smart revolutionary they could do far more within a system than without. I'm sorry if my taking notice of his edits is encouraging them, but I'm interested in the 'politics' and sociology of this brave new wonderful experiment. : ChrisG 01:01, 8 Nov 2003 (UTC)

Thanks for the message. I find some of the stuff he writes to be interesting too, but we cannot encourage his anti-social behavior by allowing his edits (from now on at least) to last. It is sad - I wish he would get exactly what you point out. --mav

You know mav, that I have no hard feeling at all about that day do you ? Anthere

No. But I'm still sorry for being so rude. --mav
hum, then, I will say it : I have no hard feelings about that day.
And I was more often rude to you than I wish, and feel sorry as well.
And I do not want what happened that day to happen to anyone, especially newbie :-(
Agreed. --mav

Should meta have a pump?[edit]

What do you think, is meta reaching a level of activity which would behove it to have an analogue of the Village pump? If so, what do you think it should be called? I suppose Village pump would be the obvious choice by the principle of least astonishment. -- Cimon Avaro on a pogo stick 16:03, 19 Nov 2003 (UTC)

least astonishment for english people only. Are you thinking of an english pump only, or a language wide pump Cimon ?
Hm. Meta discussion about meta... I like it! Then the talk page will be meta talk about the meta discussion page about meta. Er, what would we talk about again? :) Name... I think we should use something different. EnWikipedia has a "village pump", some others have "Bistros", Wikibooks has its "Staff lounge", Wiktionary has both a "Beer parlour" and "Tea room" (can't remember which is which though..)... How about "cafe" (a la 1920s Jazz poetry style) or "soapbox"? --mav
Spanish Wikipedia hs already Cafe (spelled Café). Maybe something more crosscultural. JorgeGG 17:02, 19 Nov 2003 (UTC).
I suggest as a pump name User talk:Maveric149 :-)
More seriously, I think it would be nice not to choose an english word to make it clear that it is not the english coffee shop (which will inevitably lead to a collection of meeting places in the long run, one for each language), but one where everyone is welcome to use any language he sees fit. Just my 2 euro cents.
How about Wikipedia:Babel or Wikipedia:Babel shop (analogous to barber shop)? Dori 18:33, 19 Nov 2003 (UTC)
 babel
      n 1: a confusion of voices and other sounds
      2: (Genesis 11:1-11) a tower built by Noah's descendants
         (probably in Babylon) who intended it to reach up to
         heaven; God foiled them by confusing their language so
         they could no longer understand one another [syn: Tower
         of Babel]


Babel is perfect! Although it would be at Meta-Wikimedia:Babel (I plan to localize Meta's language.php file soon; when that is done "Meta-Wikimedia" will be a valid namespace). --mav
¿a New Babel that maintains diversity on a common shared purpose?, sounds good. JorgeGG 19:54, 19 Nov 2003 (UTC).

I think Babel works admirably too, but keep it as just the single word "Babel", no additions, ifs or buts (apart from the namespace fix). Personally I like the near homophony with "babble". In fact, since I suggested the Idea, I will go be bold and create the file. Furnishing it with a good preamble should be a community effort though, so please pitch in! -- Cimon Avaro on a pogo stick 05:52, 20 Nov 2003 (UTC)

Meta-Wikimedia:Babel is top choice imho Anthere

Meta dot Wikimedia?[edit]

Mav, what's with the change from meta-Wikimedia to meta.Wikimedia? That makes no sense. Please can we change it back. I hate it. Angela 12:17, 6 Dec 2003 (UTC)

It will grow on you. The trouble with the - is that it was seriously tempting me to buy http://meta-wikimedia.org and http://meta-wikimedia.com and redirect them here. Then somebody would want to move meta there and I have great philosophical issues with moving meta to its own domain name since it is supposed to be a project which serves the other projects and the foundation, not a project in its own right. --mav
I'm not convinced it will grow on me. :) How about just "Meta"? That's what most people call it anyway. They don't call it Meta Wikimedia. Angela 12:25, 6 Dec 2003 (UTC)
Hm. I think you may be onto something there. That would give meta an inherently generic name that would only have to be qualified for disambiguation purposes. The subtitle message could then become Meta discussion about the Wikimedia projects. --mav

Language.php[edit]

Meta doesn't have its own language file. It just makes a couple custom modifications after the fact from the standard English:

$wgAllMessagesEn["fromwikipedia"] = "<I>Meta-Wikipedia: Discussion about Wikimedia projects</I>";
$wgAllMessagesEn["sitetitle"] = "Meta-Wikipedia";
$wgAllMessagesEn["sitesubtitle"] = "Discussion about Wikimedia projects";
$wgAllMessagesEn["emailforlost"] .= "<p>
<font color=red>Note: These are separate user accounts from the encyclopedia wikis and other Wikimedia projects!
You may need to create an account here even if you already have done so on one of our other wikis.)</font>";

--Brion VIBBER 01:54, 9 Dec 2003 (UTC)


Just a note: please, whatever you do, do not create any "Meta:XYZ" pages until the namespace is set up. They're a lot harder to clean up in the aftermath. --Brion VIBBER 03:46, 9 Dec 2003 (UTC)

Sure thing. --mav

Ok, it should be set up now. See meta namespace cleanup. --Brion VIBBER 12:41, 9 Dec 2003 (UTC)

Thanks Brion! --mav

welcome to your new name ;-) ant

Thanks ant. :) --mav

Press release[edit]

I am ready for the press release. Thanks for the note. Yann 11:47, 22 Feb 2004 (UTC) (fr:)

Laws of Thermodynamics-humor[edit]

mav++

Sverdrup (talk) 16:52, 24 Feb 2004 (UTC)

Thanks! --mav

Could you please fulfill the request i made on Meta:Requests for adminship? Thank you, Perl 21:21, 5 Apr 2004 (UTC)

sysop[edit]

thansk! Perl 22:10, 5 Apr 2004 (UTC)


Hi Mav -- there's a problem with the image tags on Wikimedia Fundraising page -- at least on my browser -- I'm seeing stuff like: <input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1" /> <input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="GBP" /> <input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0" /> <input type="image" src=" on the page. Thanks, BCorr|Брайен 02:11, 6 Apr 2004 (UTC)

Looks fine to me on Mozilla and Konqueror. What browser are you using? --mav
Hmmm... I'm using Mozilla 1.6b for Windows 98...but the same thing happened with IE 6.0 -- Not sure what's going on... -- B
Sounds odd. I'm using Moz 1.6 and Konqueror 3.2.0 on Linux Mandrake 10.0 I'll check IE 6.0 on Win2K tomorrow at work. --mav

Hi Mav, thanks for making me a sysop AND bureaucrat (even though I did not ask) on the Greek Wikipedia.Boy, now I feel powerful. Thanks. el:User:ank 6 April 2004.

If extra work = power, then yes. Tim suggested it so that you folks at el can take care of your own future sysoppings. --mav

Hi Mav, please check Wikimedia_Fundraising_page some html error causes major breakup of page. Erik Zachte 23:50, 11 Apr 2004 (UTC)

I checked the page, but could not see any serious errors. I've already looked at http://wikimediafoundation.org/fundraising in Konqueror, Mozilla, and IE and they all show the page as it should be. Does the same error you see also occur on older versions? --mav

sysop actions[edit]

Sorry about the sysop stuff. I won't be doing any more large scale sysop actions anymore. If I need one done, I'll ask someone else to do it until I'm comfortable enough, and then I will still make sure its ok to do so. Perl 15:31, 17 Apr 2004 (UTC)

Fair enough. --mav

foundation webpage[edit]

Hi. I just found that on http://www.wikimedia.org there are two Wikipedia logos. One should be that of Wiktionary, instead. I didn't know where to report this, but figured you might know how to correct it, or would at least know whom to talk to. Thanks. Tomos 21:39, 5 May 2004 (UTC)

Thanks for seeing that. I do not, however have server access and thus can't edit that page. I've emailed the developers about it, though. [1] --mav

Donations counter[edit]

Hi Mav, do you take care of updating the donations counter? If so it'd be nice if it were updated as it's been over a month since the last update. Thanks, Dori | Talk 03:19, 7 May 2004 (UTC)

Yep - that's me. :) I need to get updated bank account info from Jimbo. But after Jimbo transferred the €3300 [2] from the PayPal account there is US$3,935.97 left in that account (US$2,616.67 + C$137.20 + €652.78 + £247.76 + ¥2,282). I'm pretty sure Jimbo took out about US$10,000 from the bank account to buy new servers - but I'm waiting for info on that. Hopefully I'll be able to update the account balances tracker this weekend. --mav 03:51, 7 May 2004 (UTC)
Thanks for updating it. By the way, I've never seen you on IRC (chat), any reason why you don't use it? Dori | Talk 13:27, 23 May 2004 (UTC)
I just don't like it since it is hard for me to be on IRC and also do other things. Same with other chat programs. --mav

wikimediafound donation page[edit]

No prob! I'm glad to have pared down your list by 0.0001%. Just this morning I discovered that the donation page was updated from a meta: page, and I couldn't resist. (-: Now if only the WMF.org global stylesheet were meta-editable... +sj+ 10:54, 27 Jun 2004 (UTC)

I almost received server access so that I could create new foundation pages and have them editable from meta but some technical problems on my end prevented it from coming to fruition. --mav

Monet[edit]

Re: my hastily-written sample budget - useful? in the right place? I wasn't sure where to put it, and don't want to duplicate your work. +sj+

Yes - it looks like it will be useful. I have not had time to look at it in great detail yet so some things may need to be moved and/or refactored - but that is normal in a wiki :). --mav
Just so. Please leave a note on that page once there's a proper draft; then we can publicize that page actively. +sj+ 14:18, 3 Jul 2004 (UTC)

Categories[edit]

Hello Mav, I started sorting pages on meta into categories. Could you assign the protected pages which have to do with money to Category:Wikimedia finances (if the title is not good english, please tell me soon, that we can change it). greetings, --Elian 12:55, 27 Jun 2004 (UTC)

Done. --mav

Hi, do you know if the Wikimedia Foundation is a qualified 501(c)(3) organization with a valid IRS tax ID? Danny 02:18, 28 Jun 2004 (UTC)

Last I heard about that was that the IRS was still reviewing the application. But that was months ago. I'll drop a note to Angela about adding that to the agenda of the Q3 board meeting. --mav

Budget[edit]

Hi Mav! We will need a 2 year budget for $500,000. Add in anything you can think of, including salaries for essential staff and office space. I will be happy to help with that. Danny 14:13, 3 Jul 2004 (UTC)

Crap! I'm leaving to visit my grandfather right now (he is ill) and will not be back until Tuesday. Please try to work around that if possible. There are also some notes that can be worked on at Wikimedia budget while I'm away. --mav

Footnote Code[edit]

Hi, I wrote some code for footnotes that does most of what you initially proposed. The code is on the Footnotes page. Lunchboxhero 21:45, 6 Jul 2004 (UTC)

Wow - that's neat! --mav

Hello, I find the discussion about footnotes [3] very interesting. One solution to the con of "Encyclopedias and textbooks traditionaly do not have in-line text references, so we should not be encouraging such a practice on our projects." is that the footnotes should be turned off by default unless the user wants to view them. They will be present in the wikiformatting of course.

Another idea is having a special type of footnote specifically for references, rather than say side comments. Cross referencing facts and footnoting everything would be useful to counter the criticisms that wikipedia is not as factual as other sources of information.

I enjoy crossreferencing facts, having a working footnote policy, wikicode and formatting guide would help with doing it. Are you dannyisme? If so see you in the channel :) --69.159.8.159 07:36, 14 Jul 2004 (UTC)

Not sure if this last post was addressed to me, if it was. I am not Dannyisme. I would like to talk more about footnotes, though perhaps it would be better to move the discussion off of Mav's talk page (unless he doesn't mind). Even if we had working code to do everything we wanted, we won't see it in Wikipedia unless it catches a developers eye or we can demonstrate a lot of support for the inclusion.

Lunchboxhero 19:31, 16 Jul 2004 (UTC)

News and goings on[edit]

Hi. Glad to see you back.

For two reasons.

First because presenting it this way makes it basically unreadable for small screens. Two many columns for a restricted horizontal space results in columns of two words, which is frankly preventing to read the news. This is a minor point though.

The other one is more important. We need more effective communication, internal anad external.

  • One is meant to announce events or milestones to the "outside". For example, to announce to any journalist willing to make a paper on us, that we won a prize at that time, and for such and such reason. Or that we just began to produce paper versions, which are now available "insert location". Or that we started a new project.... This is to communicate on "us". This should be kept general, and generally "positive". View it like the "information" page all big firms present to external consideration.
  • The other one is meant to be internal information. Like an informal gazeeteer. It may include the big milesstones and new projects, but all our internal kitchen as well, such as "announcing a new vote or poll; listing current banned people in one place; new admins; user:xxx father just died; reminding people of discussion on a specific topic. All this is internal. It does not need to be known by people from the outside. First because they are not necessarily interested, second it hides from them what is important from what is essential, third because it will limit expression from the ones giving the goings on here and there; We absolutely need to keep these ongoings very informal, so that everyone feels free to add anything he thinks is worth, while news must keep within certain frame.

We must keep in mind that news is now feeding rss threads on external websites. They do not need to know all our petty discussions (which are very important to us, but not to them if you look to things from a global perspective).

As times goes by, I would like that this is clarified better, and that our news include background articles as well. It will become a true resource for journalist and anyone willing to know more about us. Or any of us willing to summarize important events. We must not spoil this information by adding our day to day management.

And this is why there are two pages, rather than one.

Do you see what I mean ?

Anthere

Hi. I was curious. Does that 23 000 amount represent all our current available money, or do we have more in bank ? Is there an amount missing here ? ant

It does not include the refund or award money. I'm still waiting for Jimbo to give up a bank account update. --mav

Oki :-) Fortunately, he should be back fully next week.

I have been wondering if you had any relevant links to add to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia#Financial_situation ?

Anthere

Nice work. I'll take a look at that and add a bit later. --mav

bryce[edit]

Thank you. That was more than one photo spliced together? +sj+

Yes - three in fact. --mav

Fundraising page in japanese[edit]

Hello. Now that we are approaching to another big milestone, I though it is time to finalize the japanese tranlatio of wikimedia fundraising page. There are only a few simple things to be done. I wonder how it could be published online (as one of the pages in WM Foundation's site). May I (or other ja.wikipedian) just let you know to get it published? Tomos 04:33, 7 Sep 2004 (UTC)

I wish I could tell you - we are all waiting for a developer to Html-enable the WMF website. --mav
I see... Well, thanks for that information. I will go ahead and get it ready anyway. Tomos 20:19, 9 Sep 2004 (UTC)

Learning project[edit]

Hi there, Sj told me you were interested in my project, which is described on my website. Do you think it could be used at wikiversity? I am not quite sure how to advertise in order to encourage people to exchange files they use for learning. Please let me know what you think at my talk page. Get-back-world-respect 06:26, 9 Sep 2004 (UTC)

US$10 an hour[edit]

Some people have asked me (in sceptical tones) where the US$10 (or €9) figure for Wikimedia's hourly costs comes from. I tried to find a calculation on this wiki's budget pages, but failed; still, it must have been discussed to death somewhere. I figured that you would be most likely to know; can you give me a pointer to where the figure comes from? -- Toby Bartels 00:19, 28 Sep 2004 (UTC)

I have no idea either. But it is more-or-less correct. It comes to just over US$20,000 per quarter which in fact is less than we have been spending - thus the "more than" wording. --mav

Background colour[edit]

Hi Mav,

Why did you change the background colour here? It's quite awful in dark grey. Thanks, Yann 20:30, 6 Oct 2004 (UTC)

Reload you browser window - I have no idea how the dark gray was put in intead of the light gray. --mav

Automatic Linebreaks[edit]

I'm sorry but I can find this no where else and have seen your extensive formatting guide: is there any way that I can have a MediaWiki recognize linebreaks in the edit window as <br />? I can replace PHP in my scripts, but not write it myself. --24.13.23.194 06:18, 28 Oct 2004 (UTC)

I have no idea. You might have better luck asking at help talk:contents. --mav

Wikimaps[edit]

I have a few comments on the wikimaps project you are involved in. I am doing a PhD in the social implication of geographic information science, and have certain things to say about the project. I think wiki is a great opportunity to open up a participatory platform for alternative geographic imagination. Yet from the project page, so far I see quite a limited scope (actually, I am very confused with the project page). I have a feeling that the project is no more than a map engine attached to wikipedia. It could be a lot more than that. There is a whole body of literature on Geographic Information and Society, and in particular Public Participatory GIS, that I think everyone involved in wikimaps should look at before even starting to conceptulize a system. I would love to offer some help to the project, yet I am not quite sure where to start (very confused with the meta system at this point). Anyway, please leave me a msg and lets talk more about it. : Carpier

So far Wikimaps is just a pipe dream. The project page is thus a place to put your ideas. Hopefully somebody with the needed programming skills will one day soon become interested and kick-start the project. --Daniel Mayer

Difficulties[edit]

Hi, Mav, I had some difficulties, in wiki.pt, in becoming user Usuário:N&n's as Sysop. Can you solve the problem without a new user registration? Thanks. Manuel Anastácio 11:28, 30 Jan 2005 (UTC)

Is it because his username has a & or a '? Manuel Anastácio 03:49, 1 Feb 2005 (UTC)


Wikiversity[edit]

Is Wikiversity dead? I have seen some small updates but it seems that for the most part, the idea has died. I've been working pretty heavily on the School of Literature and English Studies and beginning to wonder if the whole idea has been dropped or moved to a page elsewhere. HELP! --Atrivedi 20:54, 1 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Spanish Wikiversity seems to be alive. somehow... +sj+

Budget discsussions[edit]

Yes, let's chat about this in #wm soon. I like public discussions best, and the channel has been quiet enough for just about any purpose recently. The most immediate correction we need to make is an increase in the allocations for promo materials and outreach, since those have immediate returns via community building and during fund drives. We should be spending at least as much on outreach as we are on paying people to do what we don't have enough volunteers for ;) +sj+ 19:07, 8 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Actually, I'm sending a quick note to you and the board, to re-emphasize my feeling that we need to quickly address the issue of setting money aside, even if that serves only as a platform for future budgets. +sj+
I responded to your email. :) --mav

Fundraising pages in Czech[edit]

Hi! You asked for a Czech translation of fundraising pages, because only the actual donation page has been translated (see wikimedia:Sponsoři or Translation requests/WMF/Sponsoři). But, I did not translate the rest of pages, because (IIANM) they refer only to PayPal donations, and PayPal cannot be used from the Czech Republic. So I believe the translation is useless (and I even do not include the PayPal forms on the main page). I think it is silly to let a user fill out some forms, only to learn he cannot use them. Or, do you think I am wrong? --Mormegil 10:04, 10 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Just my 2 h: Many people abroad and/or possessing foreign credit cards might want to read this in Czech. I just added a note in bold in the bg translation that bg credit cards won't work. --Glimz 03:54, Feb 11, 2005 (UTC)

Template translation to es:[edit]

Done. I'll be glad to help anytime. --Ascánder 02:12, 11 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Great thanks! I'll copy that to the foundation wiki right away. --mav

Question on MoneyBookers / Fundraising:Bg translation[edit]

Their site is currently broken. Do you know how they operate, do they accept clients/credit cards/whatever from (anywhere?) outside the US? If not, I should mention that in the translation, so people don't waste time trying. PayPal is not available to Bulgarian clients (i.e. credit cards), for example.

Actually, if I didn't have a foreign credit card, I wouldn't know how to donate (except using snail mail). The easiest thing for Bulgarians who wish to donate would be a wire transfer to some European account. I see the German chapter has one, should we consider listing it in our translation? --Glimz 03:43, Feb 11, 2005 (UTC)

Answer on your talk page. --mav

Problem with the approval of the premition[edit]

Daniel Shalom,

I'm terribly sorry, but I didn't understood what I've done wrong with my request for the permission. Anyway, I've initiated a vote for this position in the Hebrew wiktionary. If there was any other problem please inform me as soon as possible. We are anxiously waiting for this permission.

Thanks, Amitayk 21:44, 12 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Done. --mav

Fundraising:Bg:[edit]

Hi mav, just wanted to tell you: the Fundraising:Bg: translation is completed, and it's already live on wikimedia: (you were AFK at the time, so I talked to Angela on IRC). --Glimz 05:29, Feb 14, 2005 (UTC)

Cool - I'm glad she was able to figure it out. :) -- mav

Fundraising:Es:[edit]

Completed. I've made minor changes in Template:DonationForm-es to improve readability. Hope there is enough time left to send it. Let me know of any other translation priorities and I'll be glad to collaborate. --Ascánder 20:32, 17 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Great thanks! I'm merging your changes into the live versions now. :) --mav

Fund drive banner on the wmf site[edit]

Hi mav, thank you for your synch on the fundraising pages. I've checked Ja: version and found the valuables of Template:fund_drive is written for the last fund drive result. For example: {{fund drive|goal=Fund drive goal|1000s=,|point=.|LastUpdate=Last updated at|UTC=[[Timezones|UTC]]|ToGo=to go|SoFar= - you've done it, thanks to everyone who donated!<br> <small>See [[Fund drives/2004/Q4]] for details.</small>}}

Is it okay? Or just we don't use this banner right now?

Cheers. --Aphaia | WQ2翻訳中 | talk 23:17, 17 Feb 2005 (UTC)

Yep - I know. I'm going to fix that soon. --mav
Should work as expected now. --mav

please remove my anonymity[edit]

I see my comment on the day 11 report. ("It is an honor to do my part to see that Wikipedia has the resources it needs to remain online.") However, it's anonymous. I would prefer to be on record as a contributor. Would you mind correcting that? Thanks. <>< tbc 19:02, 2 Mar 2005 (UTC)

Done. Sorry I didn't get to this earlier. --mav

Thank you! Ok with me if this section is relegated to history now that the matter is resolved. <>< tbc 04:19, 17 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Bureaucrat powers not working on vi:[edit]

As noted on Requests for permissions/Archive1#March, you granted me bureaucrat powers (boy that's a hard word to type…) on the 4th. But I'm still not able to use vi:Special:Makesysop, so the adminship process is getting delayed. According to vi:Special:Listusers, I do have bureaucrat access, but Special:Makesysop still tells me that I don't have the proper permissions: sysop permissions.

Has Special:Makesysop been disabled recently? If so, I haven't seen any notice of it anywhere... – Minh Nguyễn (talk, blog) 18:27, 6 Mar 2005 (UTC)

Sounds odd. I made myself a Bureaucrat on vi and it seemed to work fine. Did you reload the page/clear your browser's cache? --mav

wikimedia:User:Daniel Mayer[edit]

genarates a link in "Other languages" to en:Image:DonateTN.png. I assume that you forgot to make the link an "inline link". Regards Gangleri | Th | T 19:39, 2005 Apr 7 (UTC)

wikimedia.be[edit]

Hey Walter - Are you the person mentioned here as Openprovider? Answer on my meta talk page. :) --Maveric149 25 apr 2005 04:36 (CEST)

Yes, I am. Domain_names#be_.28Belgium.29. I will read here your responds --Walter 08:22, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

Something different; the Belgian bank account (068-9999995-01) of the Wikimedia Foundation. Does you (=Wikimedia) have now access to it? I mean is the internet banking working now? If so can you give some info about the balance? --Walter 12:00, 25 Apr 2005 (UTC)

I know this now. +/- 25 euro :-(
If you like to repond use my talk page on the dutch wiki w:nl:gebruiker:walter --Walter 17:17, 10 Jun 2005 (UTC)

My name change - request to Bureucrat[edit]

Dear sysop Daniel. Your name Daniel Mayer looks like real full name (Maverick… not). Therefore I elected only just you - this is my request to you as a Bureaucrat. Because I started spontaneously influence as a mediator at the Czech Wikipedia, I want to be presented also here at the meta.wikipedia not anonymously. Therefore, please, change my name at meta, which is in present „janjosef“ to my full name „Jan Pospíšil“. I have a good experience at cs.wikipedia, that it helps to solve conflicts, if a mediator is known in public as the unanonymous user.

Thank you very much.
Jan Pospíšil
--Janjosef 11:55, 11 August 2005 (UTC)

cs foundraising[edit]

Hello, I see, you do lot work at wikimediafoundation.org , We added at cs foundraising page links to PayPal subpages. I would like you to realy newly upload pages

and then make 8 subpages:

in similar way they are in other languages. --Li-sung 07:54, 20 August 2005 (UTC)

Fundraising pages in Thai language[edit]

I have to translate Fundraising pages into Thai language at Translation requests/WMF/Fundraising pages/ช่วยสนับสนุน, and it needs to update to Wikimedia foundation site (you are user on foundation site and I think you can edit it :-) --Watcharakorn 09:03, 20 August 2005 (UTC)

Issue to clarify on Foundation-l[edit]

Hiya Mav. There is a question for you from Michael on Foundation-l. Could you give him an answer ? Thanks in advance.

The question is

I'll mention one example for now. I've asked a few times on this list about the progress with direct credit card payment processing (at least twice, once after the last fundraiser and then following up later). I don't recall that there was any response. Finally, in the latest board meeting notes, it's mentioned that this is expected to be ready for the current fundraiser. But even then, when I go to the fundraising page right now, this option is still not there. Michael Snow.

Anthere 10:11, 20 August 2005 (UTC)

Meta pages[edit]

Hi Mav. I am trying to little by little go through all meta pages about the Foundation to update and clarify them. Could you give a hand on the http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_budget which is quite outdated since budget are now on foundation ? I think it would be best that we just put link to the various budget on WMF and keep the discussion here; What do you think ? Anthere 09:02, 27 August 2005 (UTC)

Hm. This is just a mess. Meta should be the place where draft budgets are developed, not a fork of what is already on wmf. I'll try and fix this... --mav

dexia[edit]

Hi, I am interested about the donations to the dexia-account. What is the problem that there is no info yet about it? Greetings, --Walter 10:20, 31 August 2005 (UTC)

Sysop en es:[edit]

Hola. Eso de hacerte sysop en es:, sin votación ni nada, ¿es porque sos steward, porque eras Maveric149, porque sos desarrollador, porque podés hacerlo o por qué? --es:Usuario Discusión:Angus 05:02, 1 September 2005 (UTC)

Daniel, could you please look into this?[edit]

Daniel, Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this... but here goes...

Mrmiscellanious has broken these WIKI rules by immediately pulling/editing other's work in an article without first dicussing it on the Talk page. He was supposed to do this as a last resort according the guidelines in the link above. Also, he was not polite in the spirit of WIKINEWS and basically referred to the article as "very, very idiotic".. etc. That is also frowned upon in the WIKINEWS guidelines and it makes me wonder why he even has any administration priviledges.

Now all hell has broken loose, insults were thrown back and forth and the page is locked from editing. Could you please unlock the page and let everyone continue developing the article? I will not try to publish the page myself, but there are others that would like to develop and publish the article as this story grows. I should note that there was some editing beyond my control and mistakes made (like bolding the text) that could influence the NPOV and should be changed. We would have been glad to have made those changes if it wasn't for Mrmiscellanious insulting behavior and heavy-handed, rule-breaking approach to this article in the first place.

But, in the end... I really don't care about what's happened. I'd just like to see this article get developed and eventually published because it's an important piece that I feel will enrich WIKINEWS.


Here is the location of the talk page: here

Mrmiscellanious initial post in question is under the title "So what?". This was the very first contact he made with us after already editing/pulling the article out.

Thank you for your time,

Cow

es.wiki admin status[edit]

Why did you de-sysop my es.wiki account? Even though I kinda need to be an admin on each wiki due to having to edit things like sitemessage and donation url, I was also an admin on es.wiki for well over 2 years. I've went ahead and re-added the status. --Daniel Mayer

I didn't know you were an admin there for 2 years and someone who was there an admin there complained, as I documented at Requests for permissions/Archive1. I can find no documentation of you ever being given these rights - no explanation in the archive and no approval from the community. According to the log, you gave yourself this right just last month. Being a steward does not mean you have the right to assign adminship to yourself. If you need admin rights that often on es, please apply to the Spanish community for this. They have local bureaucrats, which according to steward policies means stewards should not even be acting there, other than to desysop users or make bots, and certainly not to give them adminship in the face of opposition from that community. Stewards are there to serve the communities, not to overrule them and assign themselves special privileges. Angela 20:27, 7 September 2005 (UTC)
After the discussion on his home page, he desysopped his old, not voted, but legitimate account (Maverick149), and sort of transferred the sysop privileges to the new Daniel Mayer account. He left a message about that in the Cafe and nobody objected, so I think the community think it's OK. Btw, I agree with all what you wrote; his confort shouldn't be reason enough to do that kind of thing (he seems to fail to understand that, though). Greetings. --es:Angus 01:22, 11 September 2005 (UTC)
Oops... how did I just now (4 days later) see that message? Sorry for the outdated and now probably useless message :-/. --es:Angus 01:26, 11 September 2005 (UTC)

I don't believe stewards should be acting on wikis that already have admins or bureaucrats. There are admins on es that can edit the sitenotice, so there is no need (other than in some sort of emergency situation) for any steward to admin themself on such a large wiki. Perhaps you should change the steward policies if you see the role as something different. Angela 01:56, 19 September 2005 (UTC)

Destroying the Waters that Sustain Us[edit]

Hi, I just ran across one of your old articles, from 2002 doing some cleanup. I was going to suggest it be transwiki'd but it has been here for sooo long :) Kind of wanted your opinion on it. I figured since Wikipedia wasn't around then, maybe now would be a good time to transwiki it? Not that urgent, just when you have a chance to reply. Thanks. Who?¿? 09:12, 20 October 2005 (UTC)

Moved to the user space. --mav

Requested check of use of checkuser rights[edit]

Daniel, Today I was kicked off and banned from the #Wikipedia IRC channel by Kelly Martin. If you want the details of why, I am quite willing to explain, but I don't believe it is central to the point at hand. I have reason to suspect that Kelly Martin may have used her checkuser rights in order to identify what account I was using on IRC #Wikipedia, as no one else was booted off the channel prior to my being booted. I've never identified my IRC nick with my Wikipedia nick prior to this incident. With 200+ users on the channel, such accuracy in booting me seems...suspect. I would like a check to be done to determine if Kelly Martin ran a checkuser request against my en.wikipedia.org ID "Durin". I believe in your role as a steward you are capable of running such a check. Thanks in advance, --Durin 21:24, 5 December 2005 (UTC) (UTC) (cc: Angela, Anthere)

  • You may ignore this request. It has been clarified to my satisfaction. --Durin 23:45, 5 December 2005 (UTC)

Alvaro : sysops on fr:[edit]

Hello, Daniel. Do you still need 2 distinct sysop's accounts on wp:fr: ? It's not a big problem, just a very small one ;D À plus. Alvaro 22:47, 8 December 2005 (UTC)

Ok, merci for your desysopation (?) Alvaro 13:25, 9 December 2005 (UTC)

Translation-tr[edit]

I've translated the pages in meta, just left 1 or 2 pages. They look same, i dont have an account in wikimediafoundation so i can't create them. But you can copy-paste from my translations about fund drive, they look %99 similar.--Ugur Basak 22:53, 8 December 2005 (UTC)

Request for bot status[edit]

Could you please take a look and resolve some requests: some are pending more then 2 weeks. Regards, --Klemen Kocjancic 11:24, 9 December 2005 (UTC)

Fundraising.[edit]

You said yesterday that you would update the fundraising page with the new date of start for the fundraising drive. Is there another problem, or will it start in a few days ? Solenseanᛁ 21:34, 10 December 2005 (UTC)

Sorry. The board was supposed to decide that on Friday, but I have not heard back from them yet. As soon as I know, I will let everybody know. --mav

Semi-protection[edit]

I'll leave this message on Wikipedia as well, but I wanted to make sure you got this. At Wikipedia:Semi-protection policy, a couple users and myself are attempting to gather consensus about a possible change in editing. So as not to keep the community out of the loop, we've been posting to user talk pages, which seems to have worked. If you can add your thoughts to the talk page, it would be greatly appreciated. We've gone over a few issues, ranging from perception of anti-wiki to time limits, and recycling pagemove code, so you might want to check out #Rehashing to get up to speed. Thanks in advance, Mysekurity 21:26, 13 December 2005 (UTC)

Fundraising page[edit]

Dan, I sent an e-mail to sj and the board regarding the text of one of the notices on the fund drive. I'll post it below:

Sj (and Board), please take a look at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising. The section on MoneyBookers is a pretty bad translation. I'd fix it, but I don't have the permission, and I was wondering if you could upload the text below instead. It's still pretty awkwardly written, but hopefully it'll get fixed by someone. (Maybe Wikilink the currencies to the WP articles?)

MoneyBookers accepts 27 currencies: Euro, British Pound, Bulgarian Lev, U.S. Dollar, Australian Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Czech Koruna, Danish Krone, Estonian Koruna, Hong Kong Dollar, Hungarian Forint, Israeli Shekel, Japanese Yen, Latvia Lat, Malaysian Ringgit, New Taiwan Dollar, New Zealand Dollar, Norwegian Krone, Polish Zloty, Singapore Dollar, Slovakian Koruna, Slovenian Tollar, South-African Rand, South-Korean won, Swedish Krona, Swiss Franc and Thailand Baht. In most cases, the fees for MoneyBookers are lower than those from PayPal. I changed the capitalization on "South-African Rand" per the WP article and removed the bit "As of March 2005", but I'm not so sure about the last sentence, or if this part is even needed. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mysekurity

Can ya help me out? It just looks pretty bad next to all those others. -Mysekurity 02:21, 16 December 2005 (UTC)

Arabic fund drive translation[edit]

Done :) didn't see ur msg but now, needs to replace version on the Foundation Wiki --Mido 09:50, 16 December 2005 (UTC)

Fundraising - ru[edit]

Copy, please, latest version of page Fund_drives/2005/Q4_planning/Translations/Fundraising_drive_letter_-_ru to wikimedia:Викимедиа нуждается в вашей помощи ! --Kaganer 12:10, 16 December 2005 (UTC)

Older talk moved to Archive1.

kl.wikipedia.org[edit]

Hi Angela, there has been some vandalism on the Main Page for kl.wikipedia.org, there is only one sysop there (Danny) and he does not seem to response. Could you lock the main page? It would still be possible to edit the page because it only contains a Template:Main Page. b. regards Quackor 15:08, 29 November 2005 (UTC)

I'm not too keen on protecting it since there are no active admins, and it would be off-putting to anyone who wants to develop this wiki. I've asked Danny to keep an eye on it since he's an admin there. I'll also ask Node-ue to watch it since he tries to monitor the inactive wikis. Angela 09:36, 3 December 2005 (UTC)

Protection of the page of Bulgarian user The Engineer[edit]

Hello Angela, I saw your explanation on the talk page of user The Engineer in Bulgarian Wiki. Sorry if it is rude but you've used a weasel term in it: "... number of members ...". How big this number is and of which users you've got a complaint. There is the user Emil in a personal conflict with him, and The Engineer is accusing him in being backed by an administrator and a founder of Bulgarian Wiki - Petko (admin ID Потребител:5ko, "pet" means five in Bulgarian). While I cannot accuse user Petko, I can assure you that user Emil is having conflicts not only with The Engineer (even I had to recall my ambassador).

Please make clear statement based on what you went for removal of adminship of The Engineer, and protection of his pages. The Bulgarian Wiki community is too small to waste any editor, and is among those who lost editors instead of getting more onboard. Bulgarian Wiki also is decreasing its pace. Right now I am not asking to reinstate the admin access but protection without clear, verifyable explanation is not good.

Regards, Bggoldie 13:35, 4 December 2005 (UTC)

P.S. Posted also to en:.

replied at w:en:User talk:Bggoldie. Angela 14:07, 4 December 2005 (UTC)

Requested check of use of checkuser rights[edit]

Angela, Today I was kicked off and banned from the #Wikipedia IRC channel by Kelly Martin. If you want the details of why, I am quite willing to explain, but I don't believe it is central to the point at hand. I have reason to suspect that Kelly Martin may have used her checkuser rights in order to identify what account I was using on IRC #Wikipedia, as no one else was booted off the channel prior to my being booted. I've never identified my IRC nick with my Wikipedia nick prior to this incident. With 200+ users on the channel, such accuracy in booting me seems...suspect. I would like a check to be done to determine if Kelly Martin ran a checkuser request against my en.wikipedia.org ID "Durin". I believe in your role as a steward you are capable of running such a check. Thanks in advance, --Durin 21:22, 5 December 2005 (UTC) (cc: Daniel Mayer, Anthere)

  • You may ignore this request. It has been clarified to my satisfaction. --Durin 23:45, 5 December 2005 (UTC)

User wants sysop rights[edit]

This user made a request at the English Wikibooks about becoming an Admin on the Maori WB. Someone made the suggestion of forwarding this to a steward, so I thought I'd just let you know (if someone already hasn't). There doesn't seem to be much happening over at mi.WB, so I'm not sure what you can do. --Lord Voldemort 15:15, 8 December 2005 (UTC)

Asking on Requests for permissions would be better than asking any steward directly. --Angela 00:08, 16 December 2005 (UTC)

fa.wikisource.org[edit]

Hi, I've been trying to set up a Persian (fa) subdomian for Wikisource. I read your response to a similar request for another language and contacted Brion via the online form. I haven't heard back in 2-3 weeks. I also filed a bug report here, no reaction so far. The project satisfies the conditions for a new Wikisource language (more here). I'd appriciate it if you could expediate things, it would be cool if we could start in 2005 (at least in name). Kaveh 14:18, 9 December 2005 (UTC)

Have you tried email the Wikitech mailing list with this request? There should be someone there who can help. --Angela 00:08, 16 December 2005 (UTC)

Semi-protection[edit]

I'll leave this message on Wikipedia as well, but I wanted to make sure you got this. At Wikipedia:Semi-protection policy, a couple users and myself are attempting to gather consensus about a possible change in editing. So as not to keep the community out of the loop, we've been posting to user talk pages, which seems to have worked. If you can add your thoughts to the talk page, it would be greatly appreciated. We've gone over a few issues, ranging from perception of anti-wiki to time limits, and recycling pagemove code, so you might want to check out #Rehashing to get up to speed. Thanks in advance, Mysekurity 21:21, 13 December 2005 (UTC)

Translation of Interface into Bahasa Melayu (Malay Language)[edit]

Hi Angela, I have just translated fully the interface for the Malay language Wikipedia. Although the language was started on 12 August 2003, the interface was only partially translated.

I am unable to understand the guidelines given in MediaWiki localization. How do I go about making a patch and then submit? — PM Poon 21:04, 15 December 2005 (UTC)

Are you an admin on that wiki? If so, translating using the MediaWiki namespace would be a quicker way of doing this. Do you have a way of getting files from CVS? It's hard to explain how to do this when I don't know what system you're using. Angela 00:08, 16 December 2005 (UTC)

test links regarding Interwiki map[edit]

  • Hallo Angela! I found the following prefixes for wiki's at Wikicities at Interwiki map:
Wikicities:, CreaturesWiki:, FinalFantasy, MozCom:, WikiFur:
  • If bugzilla:04285 – "provide accessibility of Wikipedia's sister projects trough wikipedia: interwiki prefix"
would be implemented one could reach wikicities:furry: (or at least with wikicities:furry:Main Page), wikicities:games: (or at least with wikicities:games:Main Page) and all other Wikicities wiki's. Now these links generate "Bad title's". The only need to add Interwiki's would be to make them shorter. Bests regards Gangleri | Th | T 23:53, 15 December 2005 (UTC)

Please, Mega Troll possibility needs to be looked at here[edit]

I am coming to you because there is nowhere else to go with this. I fear a mega troll (administrator) has been able to so firmly entrench himself within wikinews with meatpuppets and sockpuppets that he has obtained virtual control of the site. Now he is attempting to expand his power into Wiktionary. [4]. He simply uses his authority and extreme time availability to wear down and force contributors who are in his way off the site. He has also managed to drive a wedge between Admins and non-admins (basically forming a club-like clique among admins) to the point where a reasonable Rfda;[5] fails with 6 admins opposing and 9 non-admins supporting the Rfda. Amgine's dedication toward prioritizing group loyalty is manifest with this edit of his; "Your approach to Wikinews, in my opinion, is focused on articles. This is a common approach, but probably not the most valuable. I suggest you reconsider that Wikinews is not about articles, but about developing and maintaining an online community; the articles are secondary. - Amgine / talk 14:53, 23 October 2005 (UTC)". Amgine also uses multiple signatures leading to different sites and one that leads nowhere.Amgine Amgine[- Amgine  03:14, 9 November 2005 (UTC)]

The administrative abuses are historical fact and are listed below and although the "troll" accusation is based on circumstantial evidence; I am also showing it at the bottom. The section below is from [6]


  • Regarding Amgine's activities as an administrator for en.wikinews, I have checked and double checked the information/links below and find the statements accompanying them to be true. Amgine abuses administrative authority consistently and has done so for at least 6 months. His user page comments even show he has a troll-like connection as an administrator with the project[7] as he openly announces that he has "left the project" while being the most active in terms of conflicts and blockings[8]; acting as a foreman or "boss" rather than in a collaborative fashion.
    • Here are the examples of administrative abuse. Amgine has had multiple long lasting disputes with many editors with Neutralizer being the most recent and intense. Amgine has not hesitated to abuse his admin powers by blocking/punishing editors like Neutralizer who disagree with him; even though wikinews guidelines clearly state that an admin should NOT block an editor with whom they are having a dispute (they should,instead, allow a different admin. to apply any necessary blocks to that editor). It now seems that the wikinews contributors can not get rid of Amgine no matter how hard they try; Amgine is able to deflect and explain away his misdeeds in a fashion that puts Shakespeare's "Artful Dodger" to shame. You may expect that he will become increasingly accusatory and employ vicious attack methods to get what he wants. Re Amgine; its a lot easier to get him in power than to get him out of power. Fair Warning !
    1. Amgine displayed his arrogance by summarily rejecting the resolution,suggestions of a mediator, Ilya (a wikinews Bureaucrat) after a mediation. "I do not accept your suggestion that I limit my administrative privilege use either to "vandalism or very clear violations of objective policies only, and to explicitly let some other admin deal with Neutralizer" or "submit a self-de-admin request." [9]
    2. Dan100's list.[10] of Amgine's "bullying and poor behaviour" (Dan100 is an admin.[11] in good standing at wikinews).
    3. Apparent vendetta blocks:
      A shows 4 of the spurious blocks Amgine levied against Neutralizer which were all later rescinded when other admins got involved [12].
      B shows the last block against Neutralizer done after Amgine and he clearly were in conflict
      02:13, 6 November 2005 Amgine blocked "User:Neutralizer" with an expiry time of 6 months
    4. Admin abuse; blocking Ed Brown for 1 month [13] 04:27, 11 December 2005 Amgine blocked "User:Edbrown05" with an expiry time of 1 month ; Amgine soon withdrew that block as he claimed a "software problem" had been the cause of the unjustified block. This time selection of 1 month for a long standing good contributor like Edbrown shows an abusive use of blocking
    5. talk page blanked and frozen by Amgine ( in the middle of ongoing disputes with this same person) [14] This is especially interesting as he did it just one hour after the talk page was made to prioritize the question of whether Amgine and another admin. are the same person.[15] As you can see below (6); Amgine has no problem accusing others of being sockpuppets but when he stands accused? Hell; just delete the evidence.
    6. More Disruption by Amgine; not assuming good faith:
      Amgine accused vonbergm of being a sockpuppet; "I do not have reason to believe you are not a sockpuppet."[16]
      Just a few days ago he accused Edbrown of being a sockpuppet[17]
    Additional "Troll" indicators
    1. Enigma = Amgine backwards
    http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/enigma •nig•ma (-ngm) KEY NOUN: One that is puzzling, ambiguous, or inexplicable. A perplexing speech or text; a riddle. Anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable, or secret: conundrum, mystery, perplexity, puzzle, puzzler, riddle. Definition sounds a lot like a definition for "troll" to me; "puzzler,perplexing,conundrum"
    2. http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/User:Amgine says “left the project”
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Special:Log/block shows the opposite Neutralizer 15:26, 16 December 2005 (UTC)

    wikimedia:Personal Appeal[edit]

    wikimedia:Personal Appeal translated on russian language — see n:ru:Персональное обращение основателя Википедии Джимми Уэллса (Jimmy Wales). Copy, please, on wikimedia site. --Kaganer 23:16, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

    I have put that translation on Fund_drives/2005/Q4_planning/Translations#Personal_Appeal and user:M7 has put it on fondation. Walter 23:58, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

    Please extend the fundraiser[edit]

    Please keep fundraiser going until that green progress bar gets all the way to the right. It's not like public radio where everyone finds the fundraising drives incredibly annoying. We are all rooting for the green bar to get over there. Don't take it away before it reaches its full size, please!

    If the House Republicans can hold 15 minute votes open for hours, you can hold the fundraiser open. Thank you. 71.141.103.241 05:49, 5 January 2006 (UTC)

    Unfortunately it is not up to me. I asked those who do have the authority if they wanted to extend the drive and not enough of them answered in time and the answers were mixed. A more prominent permanent donations link will be implemented instead. Hopefully that will greatly increase donations in-between fundraisers. The bar may stay up on the foundation website. Oh, and being like the House Republicans is likely not the best model to follow. :) --Daniel Mayer 14:04, 5 January 2006 (UTC)

    IRC[edit]

    FYI Wikimedia stewards on IRC. villy 21:47, 13 January 2006 (UTC)

    Finance committee[edit]

    I was glad to read that you've listed me for a possible collaboration. Please let me know whenever you think I can be of any help. Ciao, M/ 14:12, 30 January 2006 (UTC)

    Fundraising vs. traffic[edit]

    Daniel, I'd like to take a look at the rate of growth in donations vs. the rate of growth in traffic. I can find traffic figures easily enough, but the budget/fundraising information on wiki seems to be rather scattered. Is there anywhere I can get a summary of Wikipedia income on either a quarterly or fundraiser by fundraiser basis for the last 2+ years? Please reply to my talk on en. Dragons flight 11:38, 2 February 2006 (UTC)

    to be or not to be... not only hamlet asked this[edit]

    Have a good day. After some individuals started to "discuss" the present situation in the cs:wiki on the pages of Meta etc. Once more again (see ) I would just like to ask you for help for the cs:wiki. Maybe I will bother you but I mean this seriously.
    As you probably may know, I was a user (since May 2004) and also a sysop (since Nov 2004) in the cs:wiki. After I have been several times heavilly attacked by some individuals saying I have been a collaborator and bolschevik member of the communist secret police StB, and after these people did start to publish this worldwide in internet (beside this: my family was persecuted in CSSR, I was living in West Germany beeing active for the Opposition there), I requested to be desysopped and do not work for cs:wiki any more. By the way, in last days there were two members of arbcom who resigned and another sysop who requested his desysop. More users and sysops declared to stop their activities.
    Nevertheless: Both groups of these people do continue their attack on the cs:wiki as a whole and I am afraid, that the cs:wiki is in a very difficult stage and I am not sure if it will manage this, as the last weeks and months showed, that their reactions on such attacks are very "human " and "democratic" – say kind, not resolute enough. The groups I speak about are:

    • cs:User:Z and cs:User:Tompecina, first one now beeing arbitred, whom you maybe know from some other conflicts
    • certain Mr. Ross Hedvicek, in cs:wiki cs:User:Rosta, an emigree living in Florida, known as a notorious spammer (see cs:Ross Hedvíček) and mainly an extremist author of very controversary statements on politics, with some dozens of people from his CS-Club (at least 10 are registered in cs:wiki); one of the worst internet culture I have ever seen

    So this the situation. I would like to help cs:wiki in this difficult stage, as the attacks now reached the pages of Meta, and I will try to engage some steward like Anthere or Datrio to do something. But anyway, although I resigned as sysop in cs:wiki, i can tell you (or them) something and you can believe me or not. I know you as somebody who knows the czech community a bit and who can understand it, but somebody who is not engaged there. If you can a bit, see please at my page here, where you will find some links, and if you find something which could be helpful so comment it there, Anthere and Datrio or others will get the address as well.
    Sorry for bothering you with this problems, but i think you could have some interest to solve it. For answers to me you can use only either my page in de:wiki de:Benutzer:-jkb- or the same in wikisource.org where I am still a sysop; my e-mail is deleted in all wikis but not in wikisource.org (at present). In the cs:wiki you can contact the bureaucrat cs:User:Ludek.
    Thanks for listening to me and maybe for some help. -jkb- 19:25, 7 February 2006 (UTC)

    Store, etc.[edit]

    Hi; I've updated the Fundraising ideas/Cafe Press page. I guess I should probably get the spreashirt password to you also. Let me know. Tlogmer 15:44, 21 February 2006 (UTC)

    Have you taken a look at the bumper stickers? They should be ready to be added to the store (correct height and width, etc.); let me know. Tlogmer 01:07, 21 March 2006 (UTC)
    Yep - this weekend. --Daniel Mayer 17:13, 23 March 2006 (UTC)
    Just checking in. Tlogmer 19:42, 28 March 2006 (UTC)
    Hi; I've just made an eponymous mousepad:
    Mousepad.png
    . Also, will you be using the black bumper stickers? (They'd have to be printed using the Full Bleed option.) I've got some other design ideas as well (bags, clocks, etc.). Cheers Tlogmer 20:06, 4 April 2006 (UTC)

    Hello? Tlogmer 20:34, 22 April 2006 (UTC)

    Your adminship at Wikibooks[edit]

    A recent discussion regarding your adminship at the English Wikibooks was started over a month ago. I was just informed here that this is your username and I thought perhaps you could add some input to your own de-adminship at Wikibooks. Thanks. -Matt 23:35, 15 March 2006 (UTC)

    admin on fr.wiktionary.org[edit]

    Hello, it seems that you are one of the admin that has been unactive for a long period of time on the french wiktionnary, may be you've forgotten that you had an account on this site, or may be you really need it. Please leave us an answer on fr:wikt:Wiktionnaire:Administrateur or on my discussion page. Thanks.

    JR 14:39, 12 May 2006 (UTC)

    Email contact[edit]

    As you are admin on meta, I would like to direct your attention to this. Thank you, M/ 20:32, 12 May 2006 (UTC)

    De-adminship because of violation of "administration ethics"[edit]

    How do you think, if an administrator violates so-called "administration ethics", but does not violate any Wikipedia rule, may administration privileges be dropped? --Jaroslavleff 16:16, 1 June 2006 (UTC)

    Interested in helping out with fundraising[edit]

    I'd be interested in being involved with the fundraising committee. I'm a marketing coordinator by trade and would love to help out in any way needed. Thanks! Sreed1234 22:40, 7 June 2006 (UTC)

    Great news - thanks! :) --mav

    The committee page is looking good. And many people are taking an interest... even better. --Sj

    Thank you for the nomination as an advisor in the Foundraising Committee. I've accepted, hoping to be of some help. Ciao, M/ 08:33, 19 June 2006 (UTC)

    OK for consultant. Cheers! notafish }<';> 16:04, 19 June 2006 (UTC)
    Actually, I am changing my mind. I think the committees are starting to be clones of each other, with the members being the same members everywhere, the advisors the same etc. So I'll give a hand when I can, act as an outside consultant if at all needed, but I don't think I need to be "on the committee" even with a very nice not-so-time-consuming role. Thanx! notafish }<';> 17:36, 19 June 2006 (UTC)
    Fair enough. --mav

    That sounds fantastic; thanks for asking me. I'd like an advisor role if they're still available. Tlogmer 17:44, 19 June 2006 (UTC)

    Super - added. :) --mav

    Hi Mav ... thanks for the invite and I'm certainly happy willing and able to throw in my comments and views ;-P --Alison Wheeler 09:55, 20 June 2006 (UTC)

    Hey Mav-- I hope my enthusiastic acceptance of an advisory role for the Fundraising Committee was implicit. I look forward to helping in any way that I can. Are we all going to get together at some point during Wikimania? Unfortunately I will be traveling/moving and mostly incommunicado for about three weeks after the conference. Jeremy Tobacman 17:08, 26 July 2006 (UTC)

    Travelling[edit]

    I'll be travelling until Sunday - it would be good if the first FundCom meeting could be done after that.--Eloquence 04:57, 22 June 2006 (UTC)

    Hello :)[edit]

    Could you please take a look at this? I'd like a second opinion. Thank you :) --WIKI SERBIA 19:51, 8 August 2006 (UTC)

    Stewards on IRC[edit]

    Hi, I am posting this to the talk page of all stewards. I am user:Walter, steward. It came to the attention that it is for users who urgently need the assistance of a steward it is not always easy to find one. I am posting this to ask your help to try to improve our service to the community.

    The best hope I believe for a user to find a steward is IRC I think. There is a channel for the stewards , #wikimedia-stewards but there very few stewards there mostly if any.

    So my first request is that when you are online and have time to also open the channel #wikimedia-stewards That can easy and even automatically depending of your IRC-client. Two suggestions; Gaim, you can add IRC-channels and users between your MSN, Jabber and other contacts. Very easy to use. Or chatZilla, more a real IRC program.

    You can also use a webbased solution. Can also be useful when you are not at home. The IRC gateway I have setup will do its work for this purpose. http://chat.wikizine.org.

    Finaly; You have your real name, your wikimedia user name and some have a totally different IRC name. I have created a new column on Stewards#Active_stewards to fill in your IRC-nick , if you are on IRC offcource. I have already filled it in for some who I know.

    This request is not personally direct to you but to all stewards in general. Not everybody needs to be in that IRC -channel. If you know the channel exists that is already a very good start. Greetings, --Walter 20:41, 9 August 2006 (UTC)

    Fundraising committee[edit]

    I'm afraid that I can only give a limited support, so I'd prefer to remain listed as one of the advisors. Thank you, Daniel, for you consideration. --M/ 23:40, 12 August 2006 (UTC)

    Fair enough. :) --mav

    Thanks for all your good work[edit]

    Just came across your resignation as CFO, and wanted to join in the chorus of thanks for your work. Also, I appreciated the comment you made about how difficult it was not being able to publish a budget for the last many months; I asked around about it a while ago, and can certainly understand how frustrating it must have been not to be able to get it finished and public. In any case, I look forward to reading whatever articles you'll be writing with all your new free time. ;-) JesseW 07:12, 29 August 2006 (UTC)

    Let me echo that chorus, I genuinely hope you won't rest on your laurels, but will find a way to be a force in the foundation, by whichever means, and in whatever form that becomes available to you; a force for good, as you already have been. -- Cimon Avaro 11:31, 29 August 2006 (UTC)
    Thank you all for the nice comments. I am not going away. :) --mav

    Request for unused media for deletion[edit]

    Hello there, some files are requested for deletion, because they are not used anymore. Some of them were uploaded by you. Could you please leave a note on:

    If you think, they should be kept, could you also put them on a proper page. (I would do that if I knew which page is the right page) So next time nobody will reqest their deletion. Thanks.--Dbl2010 20:17, 4 September 2006 (UTC)

    All the stuff that should be kept is already on the foundation wiki. --mav

    Requests for logos[edit]

    I want to ask if anyone can help doing a logo to the projects that request one. Thanks.
    Nuno Agostinho Talk 10:58, 16 September 2006 (UTC)

    Could you take a look at this fundraising idea?[edit]

    Fundraising_ideas#.245_million_from_Knight_Foundation. --Steven Fruitsmaak (Talk) 22:16, 20 October 2006 (UTC)

    Russian Copyright Law issues[edit]

    What do you think about commons:Commons:Village pump#Russian Copyright Law issues concerning edits in Wikipedia made by Russian citizens? --Jaroslavleff 19:00, 23 October 2006 (UTC)


    Cspurrier; Wikinews Bureaucrat; misusing Bureaucrat and Checkuser authority[edit]

    It's impossible to RfDA him because he has hijacked the RfDA process on Wikinews with unilateral striking of RfDA's and striking of votes.

    Cspurrier has systematically been pushing anglo-american pov on wikinews and systematically pushing away editors who do not share that pov.

    Infractions;

    1; Reinstating an RfDA against User:PVJ59 unilaterally (no consensus) after the nominator of the RfDA withdrew the RfDA.[18]

    2; Misused Checkuser against Blueliner who was accused of no misbehavior and then struck out her vote based upon circumstantial checkuser evidence(same IP range).[19]

    3; Falsely accused Tohstsalstuen of being a sockpuppet and struck out his vote.[20]

    65.95.151.127 16:28, 25 October 2006 (UTC)

    Request to Stewards[edit]

    I've posted a Request that is specifically addressed to Stewards, since it appears to be a delicate matter. Please review it and express your opinion. Thank you, M/ M/ 22:21, 8 November 2006 (UTC)

    Help![edit]

    A robot is destroying the breton wikipedia completely, and there is no administrator there to stop it! Could you help me to solve the problem: i.e. stop the robot? Thanks in advance! Benoni on the breton wikipedia.

    Hu fundraising[edit]

    moved from user talk:Aphaia by herself

    Hi. Is it possible to have the donation input box and the text "one time donation of..." switched in the Hungarian version? Also, is the "National Belgian account number:" necessary? If yes I will revise the explanation message so the columns don't look this bad...

    I have translated the ourprojects template, but it keeps disapperaing :), but its in the source of http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Translations/constructor/hu I have used the names and descriptions of the similar template at the Main Page of huwiki (hu:Kezdőlap)--Dami 18:34, 17 December 2006 (UTC)

    Mav, could you please answer his questions? I'll care for the latter part, Project template. Aphaia 20:38, 17 December 2006 (UTC)

    It would be important, because without the switch, additional text should be added after the input box (the Hungarian equivalent of the word "of" as in "one time donation of"), but its not the ideal solution (as opposed to having the input box and the "one time donation of..." switched) because the Hungarian equivalent of "of" can have more forms (-nak vs. -nek). I think as this is only a template, you could add a new parameter like "one_time_donation_after", and the original parameter for "One time donation of..." would be blank in the Hungarian translation and one_time_donation_after would equal the Hungarian translation of the phrase (rewritten with small caps, and with one .s at the end instead of 3). Regards, --Dami 21:19, 17 December 2006 (UTC)

    I have no idea what needs to be done. Does the current Hu draft on the foundation wiki need to go live? Or are you asking for the the global untranslated template to be changed to accommodate some oddity of Hungarian grammar? -- mav

    Hi. The second one. Basically in Hungarian, the template as seen at Translation request/WMF/Fundraising/2006/hu , should be changed from:

    <label for="don-amount"></html>Egyszeri adományozása...<html></label>
    <input type="text" name="quantity" id="don-amount-pp" maxlength="30" size="5" />
    </html>Template:HUF-PayPal<html>
    

    to

    <input type="text" name="quantity" id="don-amount-pp" maxlength="30" size="5" />
    </html>Template:HUF-PayPal<html>
    <label for="don-amount"></html>egyszeri adományozása.<html></label>
    

    --Dami 21:52, 17 December 2006 (UTC) If the template were subst:-ed, the change could be done easily, without affecting any other translation. --Dami 21:53, 17 December 2006 (UTC)

    I'll take a look into this during the weekend. --mav

    支票擡頭請寫「維基媒體基金會」。(??)[edit]

    In [21]:

    • Alphaia, Should I translate the sentence please write the cheque payable to 'wikimedia foundation, inc' ?--Hillgentleman| 09:23, 19 December 2006 (UTC)
    Hello Hillgentleman, I'll ask Fundcom folks their opinion. They would tell you the details. Personall I think ther is no reason to omit this phrase. Cheers, --Aphaia 11:51, 19 December 2006 (UTC)
    Mav, would you please answer Hillgentleman? Cheers, --Aphaia 11:53, 19 December 2006 (UTC)
    Well, yeah - that needs to be translated. --mav
    Also see my talk: he would have liked to know which is prefer "the cheque payable to 維基媒體基金會(Chinese translated name)" or WMF written in the Latin alphabet. I was afraid the former cheque cannot be smoothly into the international transaction and recommended to keep it in Latin letters. If you prefer the different way, please notice him. Cheers, Aphaia 05:20, 22 December 2006 (UTC)

    Fundraising counter problem?[edit]

    Hi Daniel. I don't know whether you are the right person to ask this question, but if you're not you might be able to point me in the right direction. I noticed something strange with the fundraising counter yesterday and was hoping you might be able to explain what happened.

    Yesterday evening at about 6pm (Australian Eastern Summer Time) or around 07:00 GMT, the fundraising counter ticked over to $110,000. Later that evening, at about midnight, give or take half an hour (or 13:00GMT), the fundraising counter was back down to around $93,000. As I'd donated some money earlier that evening, I was concerned to see that about $17000 had seemingly disapeared.

    I was wondering whether you or somebody else knows what happened and whether there is an explanation. If not, could you please try to find out.

    Thanks. -- User:Adz

    Must just be a glitch. I'll ask somebody who may know. --mav

    Template:Draft[edit]

    Since you created it, you should have an opinion about its intended use. Would you care to cast an eye on the talk? // habj 11:08, 22 January 2007 (UTC)

    Admin & bureaucrat[edit]

    Hi Daniel,

    Your admin and bureaucrat access on meta have been removed due to this yearly poll. For your information. Yours sincerely, Effeietsanders 21:33, 30 January 2007 (UTC)

    It is so sorry to see your adminship removed even though I supported you. As I administer eight Wiki sites, I try to visit these sites at least once a week to avoid excessive gaps in activities. I consider that you should consider more discussions if you want to reapply for adminship since admins are often expected in participate in discussions and I do participate.--Jusjih 09:04, 1 February 2007 (UTC)
    Er. I was not even aware of the poll. Oh well. thanks for your support. --mav

    Adminship on commons[edit]

    Hi Daniel,

    It appears you are a sysop at commons [22]. This status is likely to be removed due to (a) lack of activity and (b) no formal process followed. See commons:Commons:Administrators'_noticeboard#List_of_administrators._Inactive_administrators. thanks, pfctdayelise 10:54, 24 February 2007 (UTC)

    Fundraising update[edit]

    I had sent you an e-mail a few weeks back, thought I'd tickle you here.

    I'm interested in learning/helping with fundraising. I'm from Wikiversity, and I'm doing a learning project on it -- I thought we might be able to do it as a bit of action research. I'm not sure what the current status of the fundraising committee is, or the current state of plans, but I'm willing to learn and help out. Let me know. v:User:Historybuff 19:04, 8 April 2007 (UTC)

    I’m sorry I missed your email. The current status of the committee is that we have lost our chair and a key member and are in a bit of a hibernation right now. I hope this changes soon and will seek you out when we are ready. --mav

    Sounds good. I'll await your ping. v:User:Historybuff 04:45, 13 April 2007 (UTC)

    Account in my name[edit]

    There's now an account in my name on WikiNews; I did not create it.

    21:17, 5 May 2007 Poetlister (Talk | contribs) New user

    This may be part of an impersonation attack. Can it be blocked please?--Poetlister 22:45, 6 May 2007 (UTC)

    Looks like this has been taken care of. See [23] -- mav

    Atlanta Wikimania bid IRC meeting[edit]

    Hello, The first of likely many IRC meetings to coordinate the Atlanta Wikimania bid is being held tonight (Aug 23) at 7:00PM EST in #wikimania-atlanta on irc.freenode.com. If you can, it would be great if you could log on. If not, I am sure there will be plenty more times to discuss the bid :). --Cspurrier 14:18, 23 August 2007 (UTC)

    If you can make it, the second of likely a long series of IRC meetings is being held Friday (Aug 24) at 7:00PM EDT in #wikimania-atlanta on irc.freenode.com. --65.111.136.17 19:49, 24 August 2007 (UTC)

    If you have AIM, I would love to talk to you about the bid. My AIM screen name is at w:User:Mike Halterman. Thanks! Mike Halterman 01:38, 27 August 2007 (UTC)

    hello from eswiki[edit]

    hello, I was researching eswiki prehistory and sysops history .. and found out that you're a sysop there without any candidacy, which intrigued me and I found out that you probably sysoped yourself there in 2005 and then forgot to remove it

    # 02:21, 7 September 2005 Daniel Mayer (Talk | contribs | block) changed group membership for User:Daniel Mayer@eswiki from (none) to sysop ‎
    # 22:01, 6 September 2005 Angela (Talk | contribs | block) changed group membership for User:Daniel Mayer@eswiki from sysop to (none) ‎
    # 03:23, 19 August 2005 Daniel Mayer (Talk | contribs | block) changed group membership for User:Daniel Mayer@eswiki from (none) to sysop
    

    do you mind if I clean up that? or .. is there a reason to keep your sysophood there? drini [es:] [commons:] 22:24, 6 September 2007 (UTC)

    Oh I didn't know you had a namechange, so I got puzzled, nevermind. drini [es:] [commons:] 03:30, 12 September 2007 (UTC)

    Image:Dmayer.jpg[edit]

    Please provide source and licence details for this image otherwise it might be deleted according to policy as it currently has an unknown copyright status. Thanks. Adambro 17:56, 8 November 2007 (UTC)

    Bot flags[edit]

    Hi, could I trouble you to set a bot flag on this request, which's quite valid, but almost month old now? Thanks! Yury Tarasievich 19:27, 8 November 2007 (UTC)

    2007 Steward Confirmations[edit]

    Hi. This is a semi automated notice so my apologies if it seems a bit impersonal. You're listed as holding the Steward permission. As you know, Stewards get reconfirmed yearly, and it's that time again... I noticed that you haven't yet filled out your statement at Stewards/confirm. If you'd like to learn what the community thinks, please visit the page and put in your statement. Volunteers have been busily translating statements already. It would be best to do this before November 26, as that is when the page is opened for public comment, to coincide with the elections of new stewards. If you would like to not be reconfirmed and have your name removed, you can remove your section, or ask a volunteer to do it for you. I hope this information helps. If you have any questions or comments, there is ongoing discussion at Talk:Stewards/elections_2007. Oh, one last thing, if you already knew about it and just hadn't gotten round to it, apologies for the reminder! :) ++Lar: t/c 04:41, 15 November 2007 (UTC)

    Re: various AlleborgoBot requests done[edit]

    Thank you very much for setting so many flags! I'll write a message for each request, regards. --Alleborgo 18:55, 28 November 2007 (UTC)

    Image:Hardware costs - year.pdf[edit]

    Since you made this file, I suppose that you would license it under GFDL, right?--Jusjih 01:55, 5 December 2007 (UTC)

    No - it is the property of the foundation. --mav
    Would that be copyrighted by Wikimedia?--Jusjih 03:27, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
    Yes. --mav
    As you ceased to be an admin here in January 2007 and I am not an admin here, only an admin can tag it {{CopyrightByWikimedia}} based on your statement. As I am running for a steward, do you know if I have make a separate request to become an admin here? I ask this by the way as I see a few stewards who are not admins here. Thanks.--Jusjih 01:21, 7 December 2007 (UTC)

    Sysop right[edit]

    Hi, would you mind removing the sysop right you "temporarily" gave yourself here? Thanks. Majorly (talk) 17:09, 5 January 2008 (UTC)

    Done - it was only for the duration of the drive. -- Daniel Mayer 02:22, 6 January 2008 (UTC)

    Stewards' temporary self-promotions without local traces[edit]

    As I found you at Talk:Stewards#Assigning_rights_to_yourself, could you please say something fair and impartial as I have a dispute with Majorly who does not fully understand the talk there?--Jusjih 02:19, 7 February 2008 (UTC)

    Image:Reimbursement request form.PNG[edit]

    Hi, this image has been tagged as needing a license. —Giggy 08:52, 3 August 2008 (UTC)

    Ptbotgourou[edit]

    Thanks for the bot flag for ptbotgourou on HY. For information about the banned user, I could forward you a loooonnng mail sent by him on wikipedia-l(at)lists.wikimedia.org... But to respond you briefly, the reason of french indefinite ban (after 6 other blocked periods) is "personnage visiblement incapable de travailler en collaboration harmonieuse avec qui que ce soit" (character visibly incapable of working together harmoniously with anyone)... and now is main habit is to work on small wikis (where he don't speak the local language) and like here is very unfriendly... so i guess we would have some news of him in some times, for something like a "trans-wiki ban"... ;-) --Gdgourou 19:29, 8 November 2008 (UTC)

    No problem - thanks for the explainer. --Daniel Mayer (mav) 23:43, 9 November 2008 (UTC)

    Speedydeletion of your page[edit]

    Hi Daniel. Sorry, but User talk:Ptbotgourou@hywiki is not the page on hywiki... You created this page here on Meta. If you want to write to this user, please go to hywiki first and edit there, don't create such pages on Meta. Thank you for understanding. --Thogo (talk) 20:21, 8 November 2008 (UTC)

    That's fine - the page was made by mistake. --Daniel Mayer (mav) 23:41, 9 November 2008 (UTC)

    pt checkusers[edit]

    Hi, Mav. I response on SRP your question. Thanks. Alex Pereira falaê 03:48, 4 May 2009 (UTC)

    crossactivity tool[edit]

    Hello Mav, I saw Your contribution to the steward-talkpage, and since I don't want to take part there, I wanted to let You know of a nice tool of Dungodung here, it shows all recent log actions of a given user on all wikis, since reverts can be done by everyone IMHO only the log actions (such as delete, block etc.) would be interesting anyway. Here is a list of Dungys tools [24], he made some nice ones :)

    Best regards, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 17:41, 20 June 2009 (UTC)

    Cool - thanks for the pointer. --mav

    Flagging bots per the standard bot policy[edit]

    Hello Daniel. Please be careful flagging bots per the standard bot policy, because that policy only applies to bots that perform interwiki links and double-redirect fixing. (You flagged a bot that also recategorizes pages.) I don't think anyone will complain in this particular case, just something to keep in mind. :) —Pathoschild 19:19:35, 18 October 2009 (UTC)

    Whoops! I checked several diffs and all I saw were interwiki links and fixing of redirects. --mav

    mastiBot[edit]

    thanks masti <dyskusja> 18:34, 1 November 2009 (UTC)

    Admin / sysop access[edit]

    Granted per vote here. Please use these tools only for good. :) --Mav 15:17, 9 Ocak 2010 (UTC)

    Thanks Mav. You can trust me... Regards...--Sabri76 15:20, 9 January 2010 (UTC)

    File upload without licence[edit]

    Hi. Could you add the license to the files that you have uploaded to meta. Thanks.Crochet.david 07:40, 20 February 2010 (UTC)

    Howdy Howdy[edit]

    Hey Mav, I know I have been getting... Heated in my discussion on the activity and confirmations policies and so I wanted to make sure you know I meant no ill will towards you since it's spilled over to us responding to each other in two different locations. While I admit that there have been some in the past month or so who frustrate me with comments that look solely to be aiming to either score political points or cover their own ass I think in general you have not been. It is of course possible you're just trying to cover your ass for later but if you are it has been done well ;). We obviously have a strong disagreement in what the current policy actually reads (and possibly a fundamental disagreement in the type/kind of community interaction we should be having for confirmations, which is fine) but I do think you mean to do what is best for the projects. I'm sure you've been able to tell that I tend not to shut my mouth if I think something is wrong but I promise if the community (or for that matter the board) decides they disagree I'll at least quiet down to sporadic random grumbles on IRC (at least on this topic ;) ). James (T C) 00:23, 14 March 2010 (UTC)

    I really appreciate that and don't take issue with the fact that we have a disagreement on this issue. We both want only the best for the projects. The policy obviously needs to be revised given the very different interpretations both Stewards and non-Stewards have about the same darn words. :/ --Daniel Mayer (mav) 01:40, 14 March 2010 (UTC)