Fundraising 2008/thank you/cy
Thank you from Wikipedia founder, Jimmy Wales
Since July 1, more than 125,000 of you have donated $4 million. In addition, we've received major gifts and foundation support totaling $2 million. This combined revenue will cover our operating expenses for the current fiscal year, ending June 30, 2009.
Your donation makes you a key supporter of the free culture movement, and pays for:
- Day-to-day operations: servers, hosting, bandwidth, our staff of just 23 people.
- Continued development & improvements of open source software that powers all Wikimedia projects.
- Outreach events like Wikipedia Academies: in-person workshops where you can learn more about how to use and edit Wikipedia.
- Volunteer support: helping our international volunteer community to grow and to continue to do amazing work.
You can still get involved:
Any donations beyond our $6 million goal are put in a reserve fund, which will help us to offset operating costs beyond the current fiscal year. Your continued support will also serve as a much-needed financial safety net if economic conditions continue to worsen globally.
You have proven that Wikipedia matters to you, and that you support our mission: to bring free knowledge to the planet, free of charge and free of advertising. You've helped make and keep Wikipedia available for the whole world.
I deeply appreciate your support.
Please Donate »
- How is the revenue spent?
- How is the Wikimedia Foundation funded?
- What are the Foundation's specific goals?
Llythyr o ddiolch oddi wrth
Jimmy Wales, Sylfaenydd Wikipedia