Wikivoyage is the travel guide anyone can edit. After a period of beta starting 10 November 2012, we formally launched on Wikimedia Foundation servers on 15 January 2013.
Wikivoyage brings together the former Wikitravel community and content (in several languages), the German language Wikivoyage community, who had forked from Wikitravel in 2006, and the Italian Wikivoyage community, who had forked from Wikitravel in 2007, with the larger free content worldwide Wikimedia movement community. We look forward to continuing our always amazing travel guide writing experience with everyone! Thanks for supporting Wikivoyage!
Wikivoyage/Why? (Go ahead, click on that link and write there why we are here and not at Wikitravel. This story needs telling. And this is a wiki.)
The Lounge is for general discussion of the Wikivoyage project and matters affecting more than one language version. Welcome!
Join the Wikivoyage-l mailing list discussing technical and community matters by email.
Currently going on
Monthly reports from the various language versions can be found on the Summit page.
- A new Wikivoyage logo has been selected! Please replace any references to the old one.
- Urgent! Please help with cleanup on:
- Migrate your account
- Technical migration work (at Mediawiki.org)
There are currently 17 language versions of Wikivoyage:
Languages created before 2013 forked from Wikitravel. Languages created during or after 2013 were approved from the Wikimedia Incubator.
New language versions can be started on Wikimedia Incubator. If they grow large enough and develop a strong community there, they will be moved to their own subdomain. See the list of Wikivoyage projects on Incubator, and the queue of projects to be started there.
- Statistics at 00:00, 24 October 2016 (UTC)
|№||Language||Language (local)||Wiki||Good||Total||Edits||Admins||Users||Active Users||Files|
|91 904||350 776||5 943 481||105||2 285 017||3 782|
The Wikivoyage Association used to host the Wikivoyage project. Now it's applying to become a Wikimedia Thematic Organizations. You can apply for membership to support the association and the Wikivoyage project.
How do I learn more?
Start with these to find out more about our project:
- Goals and non-goals: "Wikivoyage is a project to create a free, complete, up-to-date and reliable world-wide travel guide."
- Lounge – Wikivoyage Lounge on Meta
- Manual of style: Our Manual of style contains a collection of guidelines for giving our articles a good look and feel.
- Welcome, Wikipedians: This article was written specially for people who are familiar with the free encyclopedia Wikipedia.
- Wishlist: A roadmap for Wikivoyage's future.
- Writing style.
Because Meta is a vast and wild wiki, we maintain our Meta Wikivoyage specific pages as subpages (e.g., Wikivoyage/Somepage). This makes it obvious they are part of our project and makes it easy to find and update them. All our pages are in English with the exception that translations, when desired, may be created as language code subpages of the respective English page (e.g., in German: Wikivoyage/Somepage/de).
Expand the collapsable box below to see all Wikivoyage subpages. Alternatively, see the equivalent special page.