Committees typically have five to fifteen members, who are known as Arbitrators. Terms vary in length, with some as long as three years.
On the English Wikipedia, Jimmy Wales has reserve authority to appoint and dismiss committee members, or to disband the committee and force new elections. Previously, non-binding community votes were used to present candidates for appointment. The community now runs standard elections to select committee members.
Projects with Arbitration Committees
- Wikipedia versions
|cs – Czech||Arbitrážní výbor||arbcom-cslistswikimediaorg||arbcom-cs.wikipedia.org|
|de – German||Schiedsgericht||arbcomde-llistswikimediaorg||arbcom-de.wikipedia.org|
|en – English||Arbitration Committee||arbcom-enwikimediaorg||arbcom-en.wikipedia.org|
|fa – Persian||هیئت نظارت||Limited purview, mainly a supervisory council for complaints against admins|
|fi – Finnish||Välityslautakunta||arbcom-fi.wikipedia.org|
|fr – French||Comité d'arbitrage||car-fr-llistswikimediaorg||No arbitrators elected in last elections. Inactive until next elections.|
|hu – Hungarian||Wikitanács|
|nl – Dutch||Arbitragecommissie||arbcom-nllistswikimediaorg||arbcom-nl.wikipedia.org|
|pl – Polish||Komitet Arbitrażowy|
|ru – Russian||Арбитражный комитет||arbcom-ruwikimediaorg||arbcom-ru.wikipedia.org||New every half-a-year|
|uk – Ukrainian||Арбітражний комітет|
Projects with inactive, trial or dissolved Arbitration Committees
- Wikipedia versions
- Arabic (inactive)
- Bulgarian (there is a page on arbitration policy; an ArbCom hasn't been established yet)
- Croatian (inactive)
- Italian (page deleted).
- An ArbCom was proposed in 2006, never reached consensus.
- Spanish (dissolved April 2009)
- Korean (No arbitrators elected since December 2015, arbcom function suspended as of 18 March 2017.)
- Occitan (A setting up was proposed in 2006, an election has been planned in December 2008 but was never realized)
- Portuguese (dissolved January 2012)
- Swedish (inactive)
- Slovenian (deleted, with a redirect to Wikipedija:Mediacija). The page exists only as a framework for eventual setting up. The mediation wasn't needed so far, so the rules for the election process haven't been established yet.
- Thai (term expired in January 2016, no elections held since)
- Wikivoyage versions
- Wikimedia Arbitration committees election processes
- wikt:arbitration, wikt:committee
- Global arbitration committee (proposal)
- Hoffman, David A.; Salil Mehra (2010). "Wikitruth Through Wikiorder". Emory Law Journal 59 (2010). SSRN 1354424.
- Wales, Jimmy (December 4, 2003). "[WikiEN-l] Wikiquette committee appointments". lists.wikimedia.org. Wikimedia Foundation. Archived from the original on June 29, 2021. Retrieved November 14, 2022.