User talk:Brion VIBBER

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

On WikiBreak. Will poke my head in as time permits.

Please report bugs to http://bugzilla.wikipedia.org/


Contents

FAQ[edit]

When's single login coming?
Single login will arrive when more immediate concerns let up long enough that I can finish it. Hopefully this will be "soon". Asking me when it will be done does not make that time come any sooner.
Can you change my username?
There's a queue for this somewhere. I'm not sure where it is, search for it.
Can you fix bug XYZ?
Make sure you report it at http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/
Can you change configuration ABC on wiki PQR?
Make sure you request it at http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/ Use the "shell" keyword.

Wikiversity[edit]

Anthere indicated on the Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List (Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:03:33) that "you guys may bug Brion to ask for en.wikiversity.org".....maybe the next time you poke your head in?
--JWSurf 05:31, 15 August 2006 (UTC)

The English language Wikiversity is now online. --JWSurf 13:31, 15 August 2006 (UTC)


Switch Logo to sd.wikinews.org?[edit]

Sindhi

  • for the sd.wikinews.org, please switch logo. The proposed one is here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Sd_wikinews_logo.png (how can i protect it? coz at sd.wikinews upload is disabled) http://sd.wikinews.org/wiki/Image:Sd_wikinews_logo.png (the page is protected) I can't upload files because uploading is disabled. Thanks Alixafar 18:13, 2 October 2006 (UTC)

Plibonigo de mia proklamo[edit]

Mi dankas vin pro via plibonigo de mia anglalingva proklamo. Elkore Arno Lagrange  21:59, 16 August 2006 (UTC)


User rights[edit]

Can you change User:Wur-dene@enwikibooks to sysop, checkuser, thanks!! --William Shakespeare 21:56, 22 August 2006 (UTC)

Logoriffic[edit]

There's a new Nahuatl logo for nah.wp -- can we get it installed on the site? +sj 06:21, 23 August 2006 (UTC)

CheckUser[edit]

Hi, I was wondering if there's instructions somewhere on how to impliment CheckUser on my own wiki? Perhapse it should be a standard part of the implementation? :) Thanks, justin.j.smith(at)gmail(dot).com 63.80.111.2 23:12, 24 August 2006 (UTC)

Check user[edit]

Could you check if User talk:24.86.90.254 and User:Cuke monster in wiki are the same person please? My wiki user page is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Halbared

reverting[edit]

Hi Brion,

NCSU has imported wiki software but will not give even faculty sysop rights. They do contend that we can revert unwanted changes and then point at the meta help page here. I am pretty sure reverting requires sysop privs (which I have for af.wiki and af.wiktionary) but the help page does not say so. Could you clarify?

Jcwf 21:56, 15 September 2006 (UTC)

Help:Reverting --brion 22:05, 15 September 2006 (UTC)
OK,OK I'll re-edit old versions from now on. But that upsets the history or doesnt it?
No, how would it upset the history? --brion 06:44, 16 September 2006 (UTC)

Bug 4288[edit]

Before I knew you were working on this I put a request for enhancement on bugzilla. [1]

I want generalized revision tagging with groups and ownership. --Gbleem 21:32, 16 September 2006 (UTC)

Please help me[edit]

I am sysop at http://sd.wikinews.org I have 2 main problems due to my sack of knowledge. This is newly launched project in Sindhi language.

1. When I want to upload a file then the browser open wiki common, I tried from special upload then it says "upload is disabled" please give me solution, or how image files which I uploaded at wiki common?

2. I want to change the default font, how it will be possible, due to the Sindhi language display is not coming correct, is it possible for me to change the default font and font size? 202.174.136.98 16:21, 17 September 2006 (UTC)

lock message[edit]

en: "Transferring databases; online again in the morning."

ja: ”データベースの転送作業中です。朝には復帰する予定です。”

--Suisui 18:22, 29 September 2006 (UTC)

ko: “데이터베이스 이전중입니다. 아침에 다시 복귀할 예정입니다.” --Puzzlet Chung 19:11, 29 September 2006 (UTC)

Kasxado de antauxaj versioj[edit]

Saluton Brion! Cxu iel eblas tute kasxi (ankaux de la administrantoj) la 112 forigitajn versiojn de w:eo:Listo de denaskaj esperantistoj? Kiel vi povos legi sur gxia diskutpagxo, cxi tiu pagxo enhavis informojn kiuj versxajne rompas privatecajn legxojn de pluraj landoj. La fakto ke administrantoj dauxre povas legi tiujn privatajn informojn eble dauxre rompas privatecajn legxojn. Do se iel eblas tute kasxi tiujn forigitajn versiojn, neniuj legxaj problemoj povos okazi al la Vikipedio. Mi jam estis informita de Jon Harald Søby, ke stevardoj povas plenumi tian tutan kasxadon nur en la angla Vikipedio. Sed eble vi kiel cxefprogramisto povas fari tion ankaux en aliaj Vikipedioj. Antauxdankon. Marcos 21:11, 20 October 2006 (UTC)

We need your language assistance[edit]

We are translating “Translation requests/WMF/Current staff” into Japanese. Since we are not sure how to pronounce you name, we cannot decide how to write your name with Japanese letters. Please help us so that we don’t create a new Japanese name (!) for you.

  • Your first name:
  1. ブリオン - as in Chateau Haut Brion (a famous wine).
  2. ブライアン - like a name “Brian.”
  • Your last name:
  1. ヴィバー - ”vi” as in victory.
  2. ヴァイバー - ”vai” as in vibrate.

If this question is not appropriate for this page, you can delete this message. Thank you.--Californiacondor 01:19, 12 November 2006 (UTC)

I'm fairly sure I answered this same question a couple years ago. ;) I believe ブライアン ヴィッバー is what I've used before (maybe ヴィバー, dunno). --brion 06:58, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
ブライアン ヴィッバー most definitely. —Nightstallion (?) 12:47, 12 November 2006 (UTC)
どうもありがとう(Thank you), ブライアン-san (Brion) and ナイトスタリオン-san (Nightstallion). I’m glad I’ve asked you. We were leaning toward Brion as in ''Chateau Haut Brion'' or Brai-on. In order to avoid asking you the same question repeatedly and to avoid any more discrepancies depending upon the translator, our translation coordinator and I have created a list of Wikimedia related proper nouns in their original languages and each corresponding spelling in Japanese. Now, your "Japanese name" is official. :) --Californiacondor 13:38, 12 November 2006 (UTC)

bot in Wikipedia su and Portal namespace[edit]

hai, please see su:Wikipedia:Bot need set to flag bot, As soon as posible., and we need asistent to make new namespace portal there, we talk in su:Wikipedia:Sawala#Koordinasi_Keur_lumangsung, and we agree to make it . thx. --Irwangatot 12:12, 28 November 2006 (UTC)

Wiki mailing list creation/administration[edit]

Hi Brian, We would like to have a mailing list called Wikisi-l for the Sinhala (සිංහල) Wikipedia community. The page si:Wikipedia talk:තැපැල් ලැයිස්තු has been created for discussions about Wikipedia mailing lists. I noticed that you are named as an administrator for Wikihi-l and Wikita-l mailing list, and thought you might be able to assist since Sinhala is also another Indic script like Hindi (hi) and Tamil (ta). There is a current discussion on කෝපි කඩේ under the topic "විකි තැපැල් ලැයිස්තු / Wiki mailing lists". I added the proposed mailing list (Wikisi-l) details in Mailing list and Mailing list directory pages. Your help in this regard is greatly appreciated. Thanks. -- User:Ruwan/රුවන් (:si:User:Ruwan) (අමතන්න/talk!) 14:14, 03 December 2006 (UTC)

Is this page needed?[edit]

Hi Brion - is this page still useful? If so it should be moved to mw.org - if not it should be deleted. Feel free to reply here - I'll do the work for you if you can't be arsed. --HappyDog 04:12, 12 December 2006 (UTC)

I was blocked from wiktionary[edit]

I was blocked from wikitionary for being a wikitroll. If you look at my edits on wikipedia simple english, wikipedia, and my earlier edits on wiktionary you will see that I am a fighter of vandalism, not someone who causes it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sir_james_paul http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sir_James_Paul Will you please unblock me. Have a nice week and god bless.§Sir James Paul 00:23, 13 December 2006 (UTC)§

Every single bit of this user's "help" had to be reverted/fixed. He ignored repeated requests, and then warnings, to stop RC patrolling, improperly reverting changes (not always vandalism); he himself blanked information (wikt:X). Doesn't want to learn. I blocked after trying repeatedly to get him to contribute. If someone else will undertake to monitor him, go ahead and change the block, I won't mind. (And see w:User Talk:ZimZalaBim and w:User Talk:Sir james paul, w:User Talk:Sir james paul/page 1) Robert Ullmann 06:18, 13 December 2006 (UTC)

Nomination for deletion[edit]

Hello Brion VIBBER. I've nominated several files for deletion, some of which you uploaded. If you'd like to comment, please see the nomination. Thanks. —{admin} Pathoschild 02:27, 15 December 2006 (UTC)

Locking mo.wiktionary[edit]

Hello Brion,

Would it be possible to lock mo.wiktionary? This inactive wiki has become a playground for vandals.

I've notified Anthere about the issue [2]. Thanks, Korg + + 02:59, 20 December 2006 (UTC)

By all means lock it, but do it with a simple message that it is locked. TAKE DOWN that offensive Romanian nationalistic ro.wk message Korg insists on redirecting the main page to. If it is not to be Moldovenesc then it must not be anything. Especially not Romanian! -- Moldy Too 03:37, 20 December 2006 (UTC) (Special name made just for this, don't reply because I will not read).

Quick question.[edit]

Hey bro, merry X-mas. I have the same username on maybe a dozen different wiki projects. Will they all get merged with this "single user" thing? BD2412 T 02:10, 23 December 2006 (UTC)

That's the theory. --brion 04:27, 23 December 2006 (UTC)
Nice. Thanks! BD2412 T 17:38, 25 December 2006 (UTC)

sysop[edit]

Well, you are welcome. -- ThePacker 03:17, 29 December 2006 (UTC)

Is you're Sysop status temporary?
Which reason? If it's our sitenotice, then is all clear and thanks a lot for the update :-)
I at you're name on [3], so that our user know that's all correct.
-- MichaelFrey 10:04, 29 December 2006 (UTC)
You have sysop acces to de.wikibooks since more then one month.
Is there a reason or to you forget to self remove this acces?
-- MichaelFrey 15:54, 8 February 2007 (UTC)

ISO 639-3[edit]

2007-02-05 en:ISO 639-3 was released.

downloadable data:

http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/iso-639-3_20070205.tab

could you set up redirects in the form eng.wikipedia.org -> en.wikipedia.org so that people using one ISO standard instead of an mix of RFC and own codes (where RFC itself is a mix of different ISO standards) can make ISO conformant links to WP? Tobias Conradi 22:12, 7 February 2007 (UTC)

Email addresses for WikiNews accredited users?[edit]

Hello Brion,

there has been a discussion on WikiNews about having firstname.lastname@en.wikinews.org email addresses for accredited users. A new discussion thread has been started here after a previous discussion. I'm just asking if this is technically possible, if it is we should probably ask the Board if this is ok?

Enjoy your Wikibreak,

grtz --Steven Fruitsmaak (Reply) 20:02, 17 March 2007 (UTC)

PS: PLEASE reply here: here (or here n:User talk:Stevenfruitsmaak).

Hypothetically we might be able to do something like that. --brion 20:06, 17 March 2007 (UTC)

Your page on ar.wp[edit]

Hey

I translated Brion Vibber, Chief Technical Officer and MediaWiki release manager, since August 2005., and added it to your userpage..I hope you don't mind..here..--Alnokta 12:40, 23 March 2007 (UTC)

Help[edit]

how do i do stewards like on here, e.g.

I tried the Special:Makesysop.php but it doesn't seem to work like it does here, why?? if someone could tell me how it works that would be great! --84.45.219.185 13:33, 26 March 2007 (UTC)

be.wikipedia[edit]

Hello

One of the admins of be.wikipedia reported, that they've lost lots of its content. Admin log shows that you've imported data from incubator (?). Can you explain what exactly happened and why? --Leafnode 07:45, 27 March 2007 (UTC)


OpenID and Wikipédia[edit]

Bonjour Brion, je profite que vous parliez très bien français ! :) J'ai demandé l'information à Florence Nibart-Devouard mais elle n'en avait jamais entendu parler. La question est simple : Est-il toujours prévu que Wikipédia supporte OpenID et si oui quand ? Nous lançons l’EOO, une fondation à but non lucratif pour organiser et structurer la mise en place du système Open Source « OpenID » en Europe. Merci de votre réponse. Philippe from --EOO 22:21, 27 March 2007 (UTC)

Hello![edit]

Hello! I'm Glacious. I am an Admin and a Bureaucrat in Dhivehi Wikipedia. I would like to ask u, whether we can change the default font size of Every article and main page in our wikipedia. Redux said it may be possible and, to ask ur help. Thanks!

Please reply me in this page. I will keep in touch. Please feel free to ask again if u couldnt understand wat i said.


--Glacious 12:39, 28 March 2007 (UTC)

You'd want to edit the MediaWiki:Common.css page. --brion 21:24, 28 March 2007 (UTC)

Deletion system[edit]

I see some changes to the deletion system are planned for 1.10. Your notes look very promising! you mentioned you might want community input about it at some point, I'd am an admin on enwiki mostly doing image work. Anyway, if you need people to test something I am volunteering. :) - Cohesion 22:32, 6 May 2007 (UTC)

password problem on hsb.wikipedia.org[edit]

Hello Brion,

I have got a problem with my account nepl. It seems, someone or something changed my password. It was saved on three different computers, but it is not working now for about a month. Still worse: it seems, the e-mail adress was lost as well, so I cannot build any new password. I was one of the co-founders of the Upper and Lower Sorbian wikipedias and I would not like to change the name. If you have got some questions, you can ask our admin, dundak. I hope, you can help me ...

greatings, not beeing logged in, nepl

Single login[edit]

Hi, I'm not going to ask you about date of introducing SL. My question is: will our contributions be lost after introducing SL? And, eg, will wannabakate start counting our edits after introducing it? Thank you, and please reply on your discussion page. 83.31.103.226 18:26, 8 June 2007 (UTC)

desysopped ;)[edit]

on 12 July 2007 Brion VIBBER changed group membership for User:Brion VIBBER@arwiki from sysop to (none) SAYING "not needed here atm and people were buggin me about it :D"

i am sorry to let you know that your action has brought this vote to an early end :) all the best. --الأزدي 15:18, 12 July 2007 (UTC)

Redirect to subdomains. Versus single login to multiple domains[edit]

Hi. I hope some people make big cash donations to all you programmers. :)

Since there seems little hope of getting majority support for optional advertisements, and the ensuing piles of cash that would provide to all you programmers, and to recruit more programmers.

Instead of lots of cash, or in addition to it, I suggest easing the burden of getting a single login/watchlist, by changing the goalposts a little.

Could we make these all subdomains of wikipedia or wikimedia?:

Wikibooks 
Wikimedia
Wikinews 
Wikipedia 
Wikiquote 
Wikisource 
Wikispecies 
Wikitravel
Wikiversity 
Wiktionary 

Then it would be a simpler redirect problem. Because I believe single login/watchlist is easier on a single domain?

May require some more servers just to do redirects for awhile until Google spiders and reindexes all the pages and their new URLs. --Timeshifter 22:08, 18 July 2007 (UTC)

Where can I report a bug in wikipedia diff?[edit]

Hi, I don't know if you're the best person to talk to but I guess you can point me to the right place. Sometimes when doing a Diff in en.wikipedia.org, text that hasn't actually been deleted gets marked in red in the diff. This happened to me today when I mistakenly reverted this edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sigur_R%C3%B3s&diff=145598482&oldid=145347392 ). I thought the editor had deleted text when he hadn't. So to me, it looks like a bug in diff.

can you advise me where best to report this?

many thanks Brian --87.232.58.108 13:55, 19 July 2007 (UTC)

Hello. You can report bugs at the bugzilla site. Majorly (talk) 14:01, 19 July 2007 (UTC)

Urgent[edit]

Dear Sirs,

Once again…

A group of users (friends) of Portuguese Wikipédia brings more illiberal policies regarding an non free Wikipedia without a preoccupation with a environmental and social education.

This group of users (always the same) and some administrators propose and vote systematically to erase some pages with a total absence of knowledge about the subject, some of the articles with a high importance to the community. They have a chain of contacts to promote their vote and their contacts (friends) vote without common sense, reasoning, good judgment, brains or sagacity; They vote against the person and not against the article.

Less obvious for know, but perhaps as consequential over the long term, is a less participation of some users who TRY CONTRIBUTE to this projects with articles.

Because of this behavior, I decide do not agree with their conduct and I write my point of view in there discussion pages.

I have been block for suspicion of being a sock puppet after a check user. I know I am not a sock puppet, so is impossible the check user be positive.

Several of times, I and other users asked for a check user to my account to dissipate any suspicion about the issue (because they accuse-me to be a sock puppet). But our request was always reject for these (group) users.

However, know, the “group of users” decided to make a “check user”. It is strange and uncommon, because 2 days ago they rejected my check user proposal.

In the past, they admit in their discussion pages, they make a me check user and the check user was inconclusive (this in half-words). Know the result is positive? Is impossible. I know that. I am not a “sock puppet”.

All I ask to Wikimedia foundation is that an administrator check the merits of the block and to verify the check user. Send me the results by email, because is impossible this result.

I think these groups (with administrators) are trying making a fraud to eliminate my participation.

Put yourself in my shoes and imagine the frustration.

– The other user

– Me

– The checkuser rejected by “the group of users”

– The same checkuser approved by “the group of users”

Sincerely,

Rui Resende

Need help[edit]

Fundraising 2007/Video with Jimmy subtitles/Translations/bn is the Bengali translation for the requested page. But the status of the translation doesn't show Fundraising 2007/Video with Jimmy subtitles/Translations/status page. I hope you can please fix it. Thank you.--Bellayet 19:48, 24 October 2007 (UTC)

MediaWiki:Centralnotice-meter/ar[edit]

Please make an image for the Arabic verison. Here is the translation:

1.234.567 شخص قد تبرعوا

--Alnokta 23:22, 24 October 2007 (UTC)

The number comes first by the way, number then text..

We're currently having some difficulty getting the meter to render with non-Latin text; when we get it resolved, we'll put the arabic one up... --brion 14:53, 25 October 2007 (UTC)
Ah, Okay then..--Alnokta 18:01, 25 October 2007 (UTC)

Nehaveblaj tradukoj[edit]

Ĉu vi povas iel agi por ke la pretaj tradukoj estu ĉiuj elekteblaj ĉe la videofilmeto de Jimbo ? Tradukoj en lingvoj bn eo hsb hu lt pl sr tl estas ĉu tradukitaj (translated) ĉu pretaj (finished) kaj tamen ne estas elekteblaj por subtitoloj. Dankas Arno Lagrange  10:23, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
Why are not available all the translated versions (bn eo hsb hu lt pl sr tl)? They need been "copyedited". Who can do that ? Arno Lagrange  19:09, 30 October 2007 (UTC)


Translation removed?[edit]

At nov. 17, I made a translation in Saterfrisian (stq). It never became active in the film, however. And now here I can't find it again! --Pyt 08:56, 21 November 2008 (UTC)

Found it! Fundraising 2007/Video with Jimmy subtitles/Translations/stq. It hasn't been deleted or anything, you just didn't add it to the template. *goes to add* Cbrown1023 talk 21:34, 21 November 2008 (UTC)
Thank you! Well, now three of us looked again to the text and we feel, it is right so. Still it is not clear to us, to which template it should be added and how. So please..?? --Pyt 21:15, 5 December 2008 (UTC)
Add |stq |ready to Template:Translation/Fundraising 2007/Video with Jimmy subtitles/Translations. Cbrown1023 talk 02:41, 6 December 2008 (UTC)
All that are declared "finished" I apply and upload the next work day. They're then marked "published". bn isn't currently published as there are technical problems preventing rendering the subtitles. --brion 13:23, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

Javaskriptaj eraroj[edit]

Cetere ni konstatis en la esperanta vikipedio, sed ankaŭ en alilingvaj projektoj (mi kontrolis en kelkaj) ke estas multaj problemoj kun javaskriptoj depende de la foliumilo. Ĉio bone funkcias kun Mozilo / Fajrovulpo kaj nun malfunkcias per Internet Explorer. Dum la javakonsolo ĉe Fajrovulpo konsideras la javaskripton senerara, IE sciigas ke okazis eraro, sed mi ne trovis rimedon por scii kion ĝi konsideras kiel eraro. Mi mem uzadas preskaŭ nur Fajrovulpon sed la vikipedia projektaro devus esti same alirebla al retumantojn uzantajn IE. Jen listo de aferoj kiuj ne funkcias per IE :

  • WikiMiniAtlaso
  • fuŝa lokigo de geografiaj koordinatoj kiam elmontritaj ĉe titolo
  • kaŝskatoloj (hideboxes) eo:Ŝablono:Kaŝskatolo
  • kromaj redaktobutonoj (super la redaktofenestro)

Petro Tomasovsky plendadas pri tio (vidu 1 2 kaj Evoluo de la redaktiloj precipe : Redaktobutona strio kaj Komentoj), li laŭdire jam informis vin kaj vi laŭ li estus respondita ke ĉio glatas. Tamen nur kontrolu per IE kaj vi vidos ĉion kio misfunkcias. Dankas pro la atento Arno Lagrange  10:23, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

It would be good for whoever's making these custom scripts to test them and fix them. --brion 13:24, 3 November 2007 (UTC)
La demando gxuste estas kiel korekti dum la skriptoj aperas seneraraj. Mi ne jam trovis taŭgan ilon por trovi kion IE konsideras kiel eraroj. Mi mem ne kreis la skriptojn sed nur esperantigis diversajn trovitajn alilingve. Via respondo ne multe helpas. ;-) Arno Lagrange  22:15, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

There is still a problem[edit]

with the hebrew sitenotice. The Relativity of The Truth 16:23, 5 November 2007 (UTC)

Should be fixed now. Redirects for the messages were't working properly. --brion 16:29, 5 November 2007 (UTC)

Sl sitenotice[edit]

Please update sl translation correctly, because » Donate now! and 14.041 have donated are still missing, but as you can see I have translated. Also, MediaWiki:Centralnotice-headlines/sl is not update!

Greetings, --Mihael Simonic 16:28, 5 November 2007 (UTC)

Done, enjoy. :D --brion 16:31, 5 November 2007 (UTC)
Thanks. --Mihael Simonic 16:33, 5 November 2007 (UTC)

Please update:

    • (update live) Tudi vi lahko pomagate Wikimedii spremeniti svet!

(without ",") --Mihael Simonic 13:59, 6 November 2007 (UTC)

Sitenotice nn[edit]

MediaWiki:Centralnotice-donate/nn should be "Doner no!" I couldn't figure out a better way of updating it than poking you... --Ranveig 12:18, 6 November 2007 (UTC)

Sitenotice la[edit]

I've fixed some problems with the latin wikipedia translation. It should be ok now. Thanks,Rafael--130.215.96.195 13:40, 6 November 2007 (UTC)

Please update the change.--130.215.96.195 17:53, 6 November 2007 (UTC)

on the hebrew sitenotice[edit]

the donation counter is zero. The Relativity of The Truth 21:03, 6 November 2007 (UTC)

sitenotice eo[edit]

Bonvolu enmeti en MediaWiki:Centralnotice-donate/eo :
» Donacu kaj en MediaWiki:Centralnotice-counter/eo :
$1 homoj jam donacis

dankas Arno Lagrange  20:02, 7 November 2007 (UTC)

centralnotice-meter[edit]

Hello Brion, I know You are very busy, but I wanted to ask You kindly if You could get to all those translated centralnotice-meter on Fundraising 2007/Text for sitenotice soon, some languages are waiting really long now.
I have marked the missing ones so You can find them more easily.
If I could help You in creating the graphics and sending them to You in any way just tell me.

Many thanks in advance, best regards, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 12:36, 8 November 2007 (UTC)

If you mean the old meter, likely not. It doesn't work properly with non-Latin-1 characters. --brion 16:11, 8 November 2007 (UTC)
It is still included if the sitenotice is minorized, it should be excluded then imho, since the text is now in English, if not translated, best regards, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 16:12, 8 November 2007 (UTC)

The change of the sysop rules in JAWP[edit]

Hello, I am a , a Japanese wikipedian (ja:user:通).

The sysop rules in JAWP was changed, so I came here to inform it.

One sentence in ja:Wikipedia:管理者の辞任#自動退任について(ja:wikipedia:the resignnation of sysop#about the automatic retiring) was removed([4]).

Translation

The sysop who is inactive for three months will automatically retire. But Sysop who is active as a Board of Trustees, a developer, or a Steward is exception of it.

Translation finish

and The second sentence 「sysop … it」 was removed in this time, so if you are inactive for three months in JAWP(since 2007年12月19日 (水) 03:21(UTC)), your sysop access will be removed automatically(by Steward). Thank you.-- 04:04, 19 December 2007 (UTC)

Interwiki[edit]

  • Hey there. You're responsible for running the script to update the interwiki tables from Interwiki map, right? The page says it hasn't been updated since September 2007 and I wanted to see what was required to get the tables refreshed. Thanks! =) --69.90.216.70 05:22, 23 January 2008 (UTC)

Bad SVGs[edit]

I have fixed the following problem SVG files, per your report on SVG validity checks:

I'll see what I can do with the others. Crotalus horridus 01:34, 11 February 2008 (UTC)

  • By the way, any chance that MediaWiki might be modified so that SVG markup can be edited on-the-fly, rather than having to download, edit, and then re-upload? Crotalus horridus 01:35, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
  • I have now fixed all the files except for the two with bad element nesting. Those will take some time and effort to figure out exactly where the syntax errors are. Crotalus horridus 05:08, 12 February 2008 (UTC)

Current Search Engine on Wikipedia.org?[edit]

Hi Brion,

You seem to be the expert on MediaWiki search. Any idea what they are currently using?

Secondly - I'm not advocating usage, but the zettair search engine from RMIT is incredibly fast. It's basically a test bed for all SE indexing/querying theory to date. It lacks many of the features that are really needed for operational work, but I'd love to see it benchmarked along side Lucene and the others. I've heard order of magnitude differences expressed about it's speedc ompared to lucene, but its obvious a hard thing to test given that query volume, processor speed, JVM, index size, RAM, blah blah make an apple-apple comparison extremely hard to do. I'm intrigued my Sphinx as well. There definitely seems to have been a marketing push by these guys.

Here is another search tool to compare:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:wikipedia.org
Click it and add search terms. It is extremely fast, and this search provider would pay Wikimedia millions of dollars a year to place their searchbar tool on wikipedia pages. For more info please see these proposals: en:Wikipedia:Advertisements#Income from search tools on wikipedia pages
So we get paid a lot. Instead of paying time and money to install a slower search engine. --Timeshifter 00:03, 2 April 2008 (UTC)
We use an open-source custom search application built around Apache Lucene. Wikimedia has a firm commitment to providing all our tools as open source, which makes Google unacceptable as a core option -- a slower, less capable open source tool is preferable for us to a faster, more capable proprietary tool, even if they pay us, because the open source tool can be improved to everyone's benefit (both ours and everybody else who might need such a tool). --brion 17:02, 2 April 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for your reply. I can imagine how busy you might be. Maybe continue to use the open-source search tool, and also charge Google, Yahoo, etc. to place their search tools in the same searchbar. As a dropdown menu choice. Kind of like the search tool options in the Firefox browser searchbar dropdown menu. In my Firefox browser I have added many search options to the Firefox searchbar menu. Firefox received 61.5 million dollars in search royalties in 2006, and Wikimedia received no search royalties. I would much prefer to do my Google-Yahoo-Amazon-Ebay-Flickr-etc searches via a Wikipedia searchbar than a Firefox searchbar. This is because I want more of the search royalties to go to the Wikimedia Foundation. In the Firefox browser I have also added dropdown searchbar options for Technorati, IMDb, Live Search, del.icio.us, Merriam-Webster dictionary, Yahoo Answers, Creative Commons, Answers.com, etc.. If there were more search options in the Wikipedia searchbar then the open-source search tool would be improved by the competition. Especially if a "search wikipedia" option button were added next to the searchbar. Then the Google and Yahoo search tools would compete directly with Apache Lucene. Right now when I search Wikipedia I click the "Search only on the current Web site" button on the Google toolbar installed on my Firefox browser. People love good searchbars! --Timeshifter 20:33, 2 April 2008 (UTC)
I updated this:
en:Wikipedia:Advertisements#Income from search tools on wikipedia pages
Please go there for the latest updates. --Timeshifter 21:21, 2 April 2008 (UTC)

E-mail adress change vs. Unified login system[edit]

Hi Brion: Is there any reason why changing my preferences' e-mail adress seems to be indifferent when the ULS has a "migrating" situation? The system sends the usual request for confirmation but.... the adress don't change. I've an only "conflict" with the unified login in pl:wiki. Could be the reason, or the e-mail problem isn't related with this? . Many thanks. Your answer will be apreciated here.--Antur 04:19, 4 April 2008 (UTC)

  • (second question for the same price) :) Which is the procedure to start a mailing list for the spanish wikiversity ? I'm admin there, it could be useful to coordinate the efforts and interchange of ideas. --Antur 04:33, 4 April 2008 (UTC)

Image:MediaWiki booth at MySQL Users Conference 2006.jpg[edit]

Hi Brion, could you please add details of the license of this image and check to see if any of your other uploads here require this information added. Thanks. Adambro 13:09, 3 May 2008 (UTC)

XML dumps[edit]

Brion,

Please tell us what we can do to make these work? We sorely need an en.wikt dump.

The current process is running one thread, with the other stuck for a month in commonswiki.

There are any number of things that could easily be done to fix the basic queuing problem this process exhibits.

Please tell me how I can help fix it?

Best regards, Robert wikt:User talk:Robert Ullmann Robert Ullmann 23:21, 17 May 2008 (UTC)

Excellent questions[edit]

for the board candidates. Those will definitely help voters sort the wheat from the chaff.--Ragesoss 01:43, 27 May 2008 (UTC)

Unified Login[edit]

Hello, Mr Brion Vibber. Thank you for creating unified login. It is very convenient. I hope that future updates are successful. Best Regards --Mayfare 17:47, 19 June 2008 (UTC)

Zazaki (diq) Wikipedia[edit]

Thanks for your help Brion. I think it is best to take this issue to the Language Committee. It looks like they are the only one Wikimedia entity to solve this issue. We don't have community left at diq.wikipedia. Only two users (the other two sysops) left because of this standard/dialect issues. I have question though. How can we submit a petition to the committee. Thanks. --Xoser 19:02, 8 August 2008 (UTC)

nested td tag in templates[edit]

Hey, I seeked you out because you seem reliable. I've seen you around at wikipedia. I'm wikipedia:User:Happypal.

Anyways, I hope you have the answer to this. I'm trying to write a pretty complicated template, which creates a table, where each line is a sub-template. The sub-template is composed of td taged tadda. (like so:wikipedia:User:Happypal/td_tag_problem). Here, it works fine. However, over on the wikia website I am working on, it doesn't: (wikia:Supcom:User:Happypal/td_tag_problem). Html is activated on the wikia page (if I create a full table, with the table and tr tags, it works well), but if the td s are not nested, then they are processed as text, keeping me from transcluding them into the mother template.


Long story short: Do you know how to keep wikia from processing my input as text? I contacted the people at wikia, but the community is small, and I couldn't find someone with the answer.

I can wait till the end of your break ;) thnx,

-- happypal (en.wikipedia/supcom.wikia)

I believe a lot of Wikia sites are still using the old parser, which doesn't always process templates & tables quite the same as the new one (active here). Check with the Wikia site admins about whether it's ok to update that wiki to the new parser, in which case your templates should behave the same as they do here. --brion 19:58, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
Thanks, I'll try to check with them. Just to make sure, and before I bother them with something wrong, the "Parser", are you referring to is the WikiMedia version (and thus its parser) right? or the parser Function extension? or something else? -- happypal (en.wikipedia/supcom.wikia) 11 August 2008
MediaWiki's wiki parser. The techs will understand what it means. :) --brion 16:54, 11 August 2008 (UTC)

Updates[edit]

Hello, sorry if you are the wrong person to ask but I don't know the correct person :) I would like to know when the servers will be updated with the latest software. For example the extension InputBox is not working properly on Wikipedia even though the patch has already been applied. This is causing problems for us who are relying on this extension at Wikipedia. Any help would be appreciated. Msgj 17:49, 7 November 2008 (UTC)

I'm planning to get us on a regular weekly update schedule; expect updates on Monday. --brion 20:46, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
Thanks. That will be great. Msgj 00:00, 8 November 2008 (UTC)
Um, did those updates go through because we are still experiencing the same issues? Msgj 11:27, 12 November 2008 (UTC)
Not yet, we're still behind this week. --brion 19:07, 12 November 2008 (UTC)

SVG font support[edit]

Hi there. I hate running to the devs for something as petty as this, but I don't suppose I can expect some action on this any time soon? <rant> It's certainly not priority, and I know it's stupid to complain when something that many folks asked and begged for is finally implemented, but the issue it has created is literally affecting thousands of files (it's made several maps, graphs, and diagrams illegible). It's also created a minor footprint problem; for SVG text to be rendered correctly, it must now be converted to curves before upload, which dramatically increases filesize (some very simple files, such as the chemical structures I upload, suffer an eightfold increase). </rant> Should I try to contact Tim Starling directly? Or should I just quietly forget about this and accept that, well, there's a bunch of way more important problems that actually need solving? :) —Fvasconcellos 00:25, 22 November 2008 (UTC)

What's your specific request about it? Set fontconfig to use Nimbus instead of Liberation? Can you show a demonstration of the difference between them? --brion 18:55, 24 November 2008 (UTC)
Yes, exactly; Nimbus should be restored as the default sans serif font. Here's an image, pre-Liberation on the left, post-Liberation (no pun intended) on the right: Fvasconcellos 15:56, 25 November 2008 (UTC)
Font rendering comparison.png
Here's another example of how the change has made many maps and diagrams hard to read at thumbnail size:
Scots lang-en.svg

Confirmation of user rights[edit]

Hi,

Just letting you know that your user rights are up for confirmation this quarter; the discussion is currently taking place at Meta:Administrators/confirm.

Cheers,
Daniel (talk) 00:13, 1 January 2009 (UTC)

Hi Brion, just letting you know that the outcome was to remove the local rights in question, (mainly) on the basis that they're redundant to your global rights. Regards, Daniel (talk) 03:14, 19 January 2009 (UTC)

Un article expliquant les différénts statuts des wikipédiens[edit]

Bonjour, je suis journaliste et je prépare pour SVM (en France) un article expliquant les différents statuts des wikipédiens (administrateurs, stewards, bureaucrates, vérificateurs, importateurs, etc.). L’idée est d’expliquer quel est le rôle de chacun dans la communauté. Mais au-delà de cela, j’aimerais également parler tout simplement des personnes qui sont derrières (un peu de leur histoire personnelle, de leur investissement dans Wikipédia et de leur rôle). J’ai longuement parlé avec Anthere (que j’avais déjà interviewé en… 2006) et nous avons débroussaillé le terrain. Mais il me maque d’autres éclairages, peut-être le vôtre. Auriez-vous un peu de temps (une heure au plus) à me consacrer dans les tous prochains jours par téléphone ou Skype de préférence, pour en discuter. Je vais bien entendu déposer ce même texte dans d’autres pages que la vôtre pour faire le tour des statuts. Merci d’avance pour votre réponse (même négative) --Tswak 17:40, 7 January 2009 (UTC)

Desysopping on ca.wiki[edit]

There is an ongoing discussion in ca.wiki about desysopping inactive users. There is not any consensus yet, but your situation is atypical and we think that you do not need the status of sysop anymore. Would you mind being desysopped? I expect that you will understand that it is only for clarifying the situation and the ongoing debate. --Vriullop 16:27, 24 January 2009 (UTC)

Happens all the time, no worries. ;) --brion 21:37, 27 January 2009 (UTC)

Regarding the Norwegian Wikipedia situation[edit]

I have noticed that users of the Nynorsk Wikipedia (nn.wikipedia.org) have been making requests directly to you and to other developers and mailing lists to move the Norwegian (Bokmål) Wikipedia (no.wikipedia.org) to the URL nb.wikipedia.org. What these users are conveniently forgetting to tell you is that there is large opposition against such a move on the Norwegian Wikipedia: in a poll, almost two times as many users oppose a move than those who support it. The "nb" language code is virtually unknown in Norway, and during the many years the Norwegian Wikipedia has existed, it has built up public relations using the "no.wikipedia.org" URL. Also, the code "no" better reflects the fact that Bokmål is by far the majority language in Norway (Nynorsk usage is currently about 10% and falling).

It concerns me that users of the Nynorsk Wikipedia are trying to end-run the consensus on the Norwegian (Bokmål) Wikipedia by going directly to developers, posting on mailing lists and so on without mentioning that the Wikipedia they are asking to move does NOT support a move. I urge all developers not to take any action without checking what the actual consensus on no.wikipedia.org is.

Since 2005 and until this incident, the two Norwegian Wikipedias had co-existed under peaceful conditions, with links to each other on main pages and other sorts of mutual agreements for the benefit of both wikis. I am dismayed to see that the Nynorsk users are now again trying to harm the Bokmål project by forcing it to move to an unpopular and unknown URL, instead of improving their own project, which would be a much more constructive endeavour. Gunnar Birch 02:17, 3 February 2009 (UTC)

Thanks for the heads-up. --brion

Alemannic Wikipedia: code als/gsw[edit]

Hi Brion! I'm Holder, sysop on Alemannic Wikipedia. I've read your wikimails concerning the als/gsw-code problem of Alemannic Wikipedia: mailarchive:wikitech-l/2008-November/040382.html and mailarchive:wikitech-l/2008-November/040414.html. We (the community of Alemannic Wikipedia) know about this problem since several years, and we agree that this discrepance has to be solved, but we disagree with the idea of moving als.wikipedia.org to gsw.wikipedia.org because the language code gsw stands for "german swiss german" and swiss german is just a part of alemannic dialects. If you look at the classification in Ethnolgue you can see that there are four codes for different alemannic dialects (swiss german, walser, swabian, and Colonia Tovar) but no code for all Alemannic dialects. Alemannic Wikipedia includes all Alemannic dialects. We have submitted an application to SIL International to assign an 4 letter code for Alemannic. My question is: is it possible to wait with the movement of als.wikipedia.org until SIL International has decided on our application? Thanks and greetings from Switzerland, Holder-als 13:11, 6 February 2009 (UTC)

rights[edit]

Hello,

Recently there was a discussion on the nl.wiki about your administrator rights, currently you still have local admin rights but your not active on the Wikipedia. (But as special moderator you don't have to be confirmed every year).

The question is now if you don't mind if we remove your rights voluntary, because you will not even notice the are gone. You are also a developer so you have the admin rights on all wikimedia projects. And a desysop will also make it possible to remove your right but it should be a waste of our and maybe your time.

I hope you will respond quickly, Abigor talk 17:22, 10 February 2009 (UTC)

I think I responded on IRC already, but yes, feel free to remove my sysop rights. I can regain them for technical needs at any time. :) --brion 20:22, 10 February 2009 (UTC)
Hi Brion, your admin rights also removed at fiwiki. Br, --Agony 06:32, 6 March 2009 (UTC)

'Tidying' developers' user rights: discussion[edit]

Apologies for posting this in English...

There is a discussion currently ongoing on meta about "tidying" the developers' user rights": now that you are members of the global "system administrators" group (with the ability to assign yourself whatever permissions you need) there's no real need for you to continue to have rights like "developer", "steward" and "bureaucrat" locally on various wikis. Obviously the intention is not to say "you can't have these rights, we're taking them away" - that would be completely silly. If you need a particular permission on a particular wiki, however, it's now easiest simply to assign that permission to the global group using Special:GlobalGroupPermissions; the idea is to establish a precedent that, in the interests of tidiness, rights assigned by the developers in the course of their work are "easy come, easy go": they can be both granted and removed at any time.

I'd greatly appreciate your input to the discussion, which is at Wikimedia forum#Tidying developers' user rights. Happymelon 13:38, 25 February 2009 (UTC)

Uploading?[edit]

How do I upload pictures?

New ways to supports SVG in IE[edit]

I noticed in various page that the lack of SVG support in IE is impairing the use of SVG. I myself had this problem for an application. There are some new interesting ways to support SVG that are coming up lately. I'd like to mention 2 that I found: SVG2VML which converts SVG converted in VML to support IE and SGWeb which is based on the SVGviewer from Adobe but continues developing SVG support since Adobe has been on the brink of discontinuing SVG support. I'll be testing them myself soon. I thought I'd let you know so you can also check these out.

Right now I'm mostly looking at svgweb which implements SVG for IE via Flash; this seems much more capable than the VML translators I've seen before, and doesn't require additional client-side plugins beyond Flash which already has very high penetration... active development w/ support from Google sure doesn't hurt either, and the devs are excited to work with us on any issues we find. --brion 19:23, 4 August 2009 (UTC)




Can i get my account back?[edit]

Hello, i'm a wiki user in China. A few months ago, i lose my wiki password. And as my careless, i did not do the mail address confirming. So now, i can not get the account back by reseting the password. A Chinese admin PhiLiP "http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:PhiLiP" told me i can get your help to reset the password.

And i can provide a confirming email from wiki as my identification authentication. i wiil send it to your mail box. "brion@wikimedia.org" .

I have a little problem[edit]

Hello, Mr. Brion Webber. I only want to ask you a question: it's legal doing a checkuser control without a fair reason? Is it a policy violation? I wish you will answer to my question. An user of the Italian Wikipedia. --93.146.91.36 17:16, 5 September 2009 (UTC)

hint on your de-wp-talkpage[edit]

hi. i just added this hint on de:Benutzer Diskussion:Brion VIBBER. hope that's ok with you. --AwOc 14:47, 10 October 2009 (UTC)

Kitties[edit]

I apologize for the maybe stupid question, Brion, but what is a meta-tamplate, and why do you care som much for them?

Best regards, and a happy continuance for the new year, Birdie Nam Nam 12:17, 4 January 2010 (UTC)

Meta templates are templates that exist solely to be used in other templates. These put a load on the sever in the following manner: Normally, when you change the contents of a template, all pages that use that template are updated with the ne contents of the template. Now, with a meta template, when you change the contents, all the templates using it are first updated, and then all the pages using these templates are also updated. The number of templates using the meta templatcan be smallish (50-100), but the number of pages using the templates can run into hundreds of thousands. That's why most meta templates are protected on enwiki. ManishEarthTalkStalk 11:17, 12 March 2011 (UTC)

File upload without license[edit]

Hi. Could you add the license to the files that you have uploaded to meta. Thanks.Crochet.david 15:53, 21 February 2010 (UTC)

Open Street Map[edit]

Hi. I've done a lot of work to making pin maps on wikipedia from OpenStreetMap, recently I created en:Template:Location map Norway Oslo actually to display landmarks!! However I just came across the geohack on German wiki. When you click the geo globe on German wiki now it features on the open street map at different zoomable levels without having to leave the site. This would absolustely ideal for english wikipedia and end a long term disagreement over set pin maps and to provide the option for zoomable maps iwthin wikipedia itself. Could you please import the technology they are using on German wikipedia to display open street maps within the wiki site itself. This would be perfect and would mean we could probably not bother with the city pins. Would it be possible to display these zoomable open street maps within article infoboxes themselves? An example. See Harris Theater. If we had the zoomable open street map within the infobox theatre we would not need that pin locator. By default there could be none but a "Click map" option within the infobox. When you click it, it would then display the open street map zoomable as shown here [here. Can you do this? It would be extremely beneficial to us. Dr. Blofeld White cat 18:18, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

Bilan après 80 jours[edit]

Bonjour, c'est parce que vous êtes un ancien de Wikipédia que je me permets de vous livrer mes conclusions après 80 jours de participation active :
Wikipédia n'est pas une encyclopédie. C'est un réseau social, où certaines personnes dominantes se sont taillées des fiefs de Vérité en s'appuyant sur leur réseau personnel. Des alliances se nouent et se dénouent. Les articles font l'objet de guerres d'édition n'ayant aucun rapport avec l'objectif encyclopédique annoncé. Ces articles font l'objet de véritables conquêtes. De fait, la responsabilité éditoriale n'existe pas. Aucun contrôle de qualité n'est effectué. La plupart des décisions sont prises arbitrairement par des individus assouvissant leur frustration sur les rédacteurs d'article. Dans un tel contexte, il n'est pas surprenant que Wikipédia fasse le lit de multiples nationalistes, fascistes ou terroristes, qui dénaturent en leur sens les articles. La qualité générale des articles est affligeante en raison de vélléités personnelles non controlées. Les principes démocratiques qui régissent nos sociétés modernes ne sont en aucun cas d'application sur Wikipédia. Des simulacres de votes ont régulièrement lieu, sans ordre précis, sans respect des décisions ou sans respect des rares procédures de vote (quand elles sont annoncées). Les sources citées sont ignorées ou effacées lorqu'elles ne vont pas dans le même sens que les "barons" wikipédiens. Les traductions, même à partir de l'anglais, sont en grande partie exécrables par manque d'encadrement et de connaissance du métier. Cette critique est valable dans de nombreux domaines de Wikipédia car les savants autoproclamés sont légions. D'un point de vue politique ou sociologique, Wikipédia peut être intéréssant malgré la petitesse des propos tenus. D'un point de vue encyclopédique, la validité des articles ne peut être assurée. Travaillant dans les hautes sphères européennes, je trouvais l'idée d'une construction communautaire séduisante. Wikipédia n'a cependant pas cette vocation en l'état actuel.--213.99.240.204 23:32, 20 January 2011 (UTC)

There's no such thing as an all-encompassing encyclopedia whose accuracy is truly assured or guaranteed in any real way. Wikipedia is certainly not perfect, and anyone with genuine interest in the project is very well aware of many of the large social problems in the system. Nonetheless, it remains more explicitly open and transparent than any other large-scale general knowledge resource I've ever heard of -- with the vast majority of editing histories etc directly available, interested watchers have the ability to dive in and monitor the process in ways that have *NEVER* been made accessible before, and still aren't in most media. (In literary studies and sometimes parts of politics and history, later generations can get access to a limited number of draft copies of documents, or review comments by the authors' critiquers, but this is pretty rare in general. You don't get that kind of access as a member of the general public to articles in most newspapers, encyclopedias, textbooks, etc -- the biases of the authors, and what compromises they may have made during editing, often remain opaque.)
More to the point, it is valuable to study and point out problems and bottlenecks in how the system works. These issues get various amounts of attention at various different times; some need to be solved to make Wikipedia itself work more smoothly as time goes on, while others might be better suited for splitting out certain kinds of activity as different projects with outright different data or social structures.
'Edit wars' as we know them are a side effect of certain portions of Wikipedia's data and social model such as that there is only one article per topic which must cover everything relevant, and that there is only one current publishable version of it. This is basically a direct mapping of the traditional paper encyclopedia model, and it's not as good a match to the web as it might be. There have been various efforts offsite to do things with multiple articles per topic, but generally not in a very compelling way.
This for instance would not necessarily be an issue at all with other non-"encyclopedia" models; for instance with more aggressive branching and a multi-user project model at Wikibooks, it would be easy to create multiple separate versions of some guide or learning resource targeted at different audiences, or with different emphases, etc, and this would not really break the Wikibooks model -- there's no requirement to have only one version per topic.
Making pointless conflicts disappear by simply making them irrelevant is a nice strategy, but figuring out that specific thing for Wikipedia may be more difficult, and I'm not going to claim to have a firm answer. Nonetheless, it remains a valuable resource for millions of people -- being imperfect doesn't prevent something from being useful, and Wikipedia makes a strong effort to wear its problems openly so readers know how to read intelligently. --brion 00:17, 21 January 2011 (UTC)

Welcome back![edit]

I read on the Wikimedia blog that you're back at the Foundation. Just felt that I should {{welcome}} you back.... Have a nice day! ManishEarthTalkStalk 16:20, 11 March 2011 (UTC)

Thanks! :) --brion 18:07, 11 March 2011 (UTC)

Wikix[edit]

From Talk:Wikix#Don't use Wikix if you don't want to be blocked - a user experience...:

It should also be noted that using Wikix can quite certainly make you blocked from accessing Wikipedia whatsoever... :( So use it at your own risk. I am blocked from accessing any of Wikimedia's sites for already 4 days and the only "abuse" I did was using Wikix... Wikimedia's admins told me I was using "remote downloading" and didn't explain me how using Wikix on a slow (2 Mbps) link can be called "remote downloading".
Really? That's pretty bad - why are they advocating its use then? I've downloaded about 600GB of images and don't seem to be blocked so far, but I didn't know that...

If the program is capable of generating a load large enough to merit blocking a user from being able to view Wikimedia sites, should we be hosting it at all? Would it, then, be appropriate to either remove the page or perhaps mark it as "unsupported" in some manner?

Thanks. Kylu 15:58, 12 April 2011 (UTC)

Help[edit]

I am blocking in enwiki. Please help me. I am not a puppet of en:User:Ebrahimi-amir. I dont know why I blocking. Thanks. --N KOziTalk 06:40, 15 April 2011 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Game[edit]

A discussion about improving Wikipedia's help documentation inspired an idea--tutorials would be best if they were interactive and immersive. The thought of a learning-teaching game came up, one based on a real interface with realistic 'missions'. Would you be interested in providing some feedback or helping work on it, or know some editors who might? The idea is just getting started and any assistance with the help/policy side, the experienced-editor side, or the coding/game-making side would be great. Cheers, Ocaasi 04:02, 30 May 2011 (UTC)


Is it allowed in Wikipedia?[edit]

To keep in the pages of wiki Administrator's personnel thesis? at http://sd.wikipedia.org ? Other problem is We call Computer as same in English, but admin forcibly used his word Ganpukar of Computer. I have proof that thousands of published books called it Computer not Ganpukar. If some one oppose him he started abusive language. That is the reason sd.wikipedia.org never got attraction to Sindhi community. Plz check record there. Other things are he locked CSS due to that on the same site there are lot of font styles appeared there. He is not able to set commonCSS or Monocss. We are in trouble to work in our local Sindhi language. I don't know where to say for this problem. Record history says all the situation there. I appeal plz warn him to follow en.wikipedia.org rules, other wise he will continue use his personnel details and personnel promoted articles there. Dear I am sorry If u r not right person to say all about this, Plz suggest me where I can raise this issue. My sd.wikipedia.org ID is same. His thesis is not a violetion? http://sd.wikipedia.org/wiki/ماحولياتي_انتظام_ڪاڻ_اُپُگِرَهِي_عَڪس_ضماءُ_۽_درجه_بنديءَ_جي_طريقن_جو_اَڀياس Alixafar 23:59, 20 November 2011 (UTC)

de:User:Brion Testaccount[edit]

Hello Brion, on the german wikipedia the account de:User:Brion Testaccount exist and is a sysop. Is that one of your accounts? It is possible to de-sysop this account or it is needed for test cases? Thanks. Der Umherirrende 17:54, 22 November 2011 (UTC)

Feel free, if I need it again I can re-sysop it. :) --brion 19:59, 23 November 2011 (UTC)
Thank you for your answer. Is this also true for your "main" account de:User:Brion VIBBER? You are sysop, reviewer and bureaucrat on the german wikipedia. You can do it yourself on de:Special:UserRights/Brion VIBBER, but I can also ask a steward/local bureaucrat to do it. Der Umherirrende 10:39, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
de:User:Brion Testaccount was done by a steward already. Thanks for that. Der Umherirrende 20:52, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
Yep, same! I don't actively edit or adminify there, so feel free to remove my bits while I don't need them -- it's safer. --brion 00:47, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
All done. Thank you for your answer. Der Umherirrende 17:51, 2 December 2011 (UTC)

history (from June 2002, till january 2004) looks lost in Oriya Wikipedia[edit]

There is a problem in the 1st edit [5], the history looks lost here. As or.wikipedia was created on June 2002, but it shows that the 1st edit was done on 29th January 2002. Please check it & reply in my talk page. Thank you --Srikant Kedia 17:48, 30 January 2012 (UTC)

Meta-template & server kitty[edit]

I saw your user page and am wondering what a meta-template is? Perhaps a template that announces an article uses (a) different template(s)? Jc3s5h 13:38, 12 February 2012 (UTC)

Back in the day, it was a term for complex templates that went through many levels of subtemplates to perform some obscure logic; introduction of ParserFunctions was to replace a lot of the weird techniques that were used back then. These days we usually have new bugabears that may use ParserFunctions correctly, but .... excessively... which we also hope to improve performance on with cleaner templating systems in the future. :) --brion 20:42, 14 February 2012 (UTC)

Proposal - complete unified login for all eligible accounts[edit]

Hello, I've made a proposal at Wikimedia Forum#Proposal - complete unified login for all eligible accounts, and I saw on Help:Unified login that you've put a lot of work into this area. Our current layperson documentation on SUL isn't incredibly thorough, so I was hoping you could take a look at the proposal and ensure it is technically feasible. I believe that it is, but I did make some assumptions, so if it isn't please let me know so that it can be adjusted as necessary. Thank you. ▫ JohnnyMrNinja (talk / en) 11:55, 23 February 2012 (UTC)

There were also some concerns raised about privacy if this were to be implemented, which I was also hoping that you could address. If this is not something that you wish to deal with please let me know so I can ask another developer. I would file a bug about it, but I wouldn't know that would work with a proposal like this. ▫ JohnnyMrNinja (talk / en) 15:42, 28 March 2012 (UTC)

Unified login[edit]

Hello! I have created an account at en.wikipedia, but it was also activated at sr.wikipedia, where I already have my old account Korisnik:Plamen. I would like to keep this account (User:Flammard) at en.wiki, commons.wiki etc., but i'd like to deactivate it only at sr.wiki in favor of my older account Korisnik:Plamen. Could you, please, explain it to me or maybe help if it's possible? Thanks a lot! --Flammard (talk) 22:01, 13 March 2012 (UTC)

Peto pri puno de administranto[edit]

Saluton Brion

La administranto eo:Uzanto:Petr Tomasovsky punis min por io, kion mi ne faris. Li baris min de ĉiu ajn redaktado en la Vikipedio kure de disputo pri lingva afero. Ĉe tio li false akuzis min pri modifado de diskutero kaj pri insultado. Aldone li deklaris min urĝa kazo kaj kontraŭ ĉiuj reguloj forbaris min por nekutime longa periodo de du semajnoj.

La detaloj estas videblaj en eo:Vikipedio:Diskutejo#Pri ĵusa forbaro kaj tie troviĝas pruvo (historio), ke li faris ĝuste tion, pri kio li akuzis min, sed kion mi mem tute ne faris. Temas pri anonima modifado de diskutero por subteni sian opinion.

Feliĉe, tuj post mia puna forbaro, alia administranto, eo:Uzanto:Narvalo, ekkonis, ke la agado de tiu administranto estis nek ĝusta, nek justa, nek regulkonforma, nek iel ajn konvena. Tiu bona feino mallevis la baron post proksimume unu tago.

Intertempe videbliĝas, ke mi ne estis la sola viktimo de tia arbitra blokado aŭ forbaro fare de Petr. Aldone ŝajnas, ke ĝuste tiu ĉi administranto, Petr, estis iam jam eksadminstrantigita. Laŭŝajne li lernis malmulton de tio.

Ĉiuokaze, mi volas oficiale okazigi baloton pri tritaga eksigo de li kaj volas scii, kiel mi precize kaj regulkonforme daŭrigu kaj kie oni devas afiŝi tiaĵon kaj kiel ĝi aspektu. Ĉi-momente mia plendo kaj peto troviĝas en la ĉefa diskutejo de la Eo-Vikio.

Aparte de tio montriĝas specifa inerto flanke de kelkaj aliaj administrantoj entute okupiĝi pri tiu ĉi kazo. Tamen ĉi tie tute ne temas pri iu el la kvereloj, kiuj ja abundas, sed pri kazo de misuzo de administrantorajtoj por silenti &#151; eĉ tuj silenti &#151; iun. Mi ricevis buŝegumon.

Memevidente, mi apartenas al la aro de regulaj kontribuantoj, ekz. mia artikolo eo:Satelita televido estis elektita eo:Artikolo de la semajno, kaj jen, informe, listo de ligiloj al ŝablonoj, kiujn mi kreis (kaj dokumentis) eo:Ŝablono:Pejnaĵoj kaj kiuj jam iugrade populariĝas.

Ne povas esti, ke oni kunlaboru en medio, kie administro povas plene arbitre kaj laŭplaĉe kaj antaŭ ĉio tuje pune forbari kunlaboranton, tiel ke tiu povas nek oponi nek iel ajn defendi sin. Rekte skandale estas, ke apenaŭ iu el la nunaj administrantoj vere pretas esplori la aferon.

Ĉiuj detaloj estas en mia dokumento afiŝita en la ĉefa diskutejo, do mi ne necesas ĝisdetalere detaligi tie ĉi.

Ĉiuokaze, pro ĉio ĉi unu viktimo de Petr jam eksiĝis. Oni tute ne scias, kiom da kunlaborantoj Petr jam per arbitraj decidoj jam malentuziasmigis aŭ forpelis.

Do mi dankus pri reago viaflanka kiel mi regulkonforme daŭrigu.

eo:Pejno Simono

About Wikipedia:Lista de usuarios con el flag de bibliotecario[edit]

Hello Brion. I'm making a list about when spanish admin got the permissions. I have a problem with the first one. At that time, 2003/2004 I think it gave permission after applying in META. It is possible that may be you gave the permissions to the admins. Could you help me about these users?:

Any help is welcome.--AeroPsico (talk) 10:43, 27 May 2012 (UTC)

Sysadmin global group[edit]

Hi Brion, back in February you granted yourself 'crat and sysop on tewiki to fix some js. I figured I should tell you that since February 2011 your global sysadmin permission allows you to do that without the need for any global rights ;-) [I've removed the permissions there as not needed anymore]. Kind regards, Snowolf How can I help? 00:46, 6 January 2013 (UTC)

Administranto en eowiki[edit]

Sal Brion! En la Esperanta Vikipedio estas propono por maladministrantigo de neaktivaj administrantoj (via diskuto). Ĉar vi ne estas plu aktiva tie kaj nun estas tutvikia administranto ĉu vi kontraŭas forigon de statuso de loka administranto? Amike. --KuboF (talk) 19:03, 12 March 2013 (UTC)

Senprobleme, malaktivigu min. :)

Notice of review of adminship (April 2013)[edit]

Hello Brion. In accordance with Meta:Administrators/Removal and because you have made fewer than ten logged administrator actions over the past six months, your adminship is under review at Meta:Administrators/Removal/April 2013. If you would like to retain your adminship, please sign there before April 08, 2013. Kind regards. -- MarcoAurelio (talk) 15:07, 1 April 2013 (UTC)

Feel free, I have sufficient staff-based rights to perform my duties. :) --brion (talk) 18:15, 1 April 2013 (UTC)

New option on interproject links[edit]

Hi, thanks for participating in the RFC for interproject links. There is a new option that might be interesting to explore. Please check Dropdown next to title 1 and Dropdown next to title 2. They are part of Option 5.--Micru (talk) 14:28, 25 April 2013 (UTC)

File:Assembly (Firefox).pdf[edit]

Hi Brion, File:Assembly (Firefox).pdf and File:Assembly (mwlib).pdf need your attention. --Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 20:56, 23 May 2013 (UTC)

They can probably go, but they're printouts of Wikipedia pages so the source information should be... the source of the wikipedia page? --brion (talk) 08:52, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
Hi Brion, I edited File:Assembly (Firefox).pdf. Is it okay for you? --Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 09:30, 24 May 2013 (UTC)

Temp. admin rights on commons[edit]

Hi Brion. I see you granted yourself temporary admin rights on commons last year (16 May 2012; "temporary enable to look into UW campaign setup"). Do you still need those or can they be removed by now? Thanks in advance for the reply. With regards, Trijnsteltalk 22:01, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

Still using those to do things like delete test images; I can get them back if I need them again though so don't worry. :) --brion (talk) 17:59, 18 June 2013 (UTC)

Your admin status[edit]

Hello. I'm a steward. A new policy regarding the removal of "advanced rights" (administrator, bureaucrat, etc.) was adopted by community consensus recently. According to this policy, the stewards are reviewing administrators' activity on wikis with no inactivity policy.

You meet the inactivity criteria (no edits and no log actions for 2 years) on specieswiki, where you are a bureaucrat and administrator. Since specieswiki does not have its own administrators' rights review process, the global one applies.

If you want to keep your rights, you should inform the community of the wiki about the fact that the stewards have sent you this information about your inactivity. If the community has a discussion about it and then wants you to keep your rights, please contact the stewards at m:Stewards' noticeboard, and link to the discussion of the local community, where they express their wish to continue to maintain the rights, and demonstrate a continued requirement to maintain these rights.

We stewards will evaluate the responses. If there is no response at all after approximately one month, we will proceed to remove your administrative rights. In cases of doubt, we will evaluate the responses and will refer a decision back to the local community for their comment and review. If you have any questions, please contact us on m:Stewards' noticeboard.

Best regards, Rschen7754 17:47, 8 April 2014 (UTC)

In fact, it was suggested by the community at Wikispecies, that you remain with your rights, as a matter of curtesy to your work, see Village pump, Admin activity review. I thought you may feel glad to know that your efforts are still remembered and appreciated! :). Nice to see tat you are still active, so am I, and I just edited my user page with my Wikipedia history, where your name is mentioned. Dan Koehl (talk) 04:11, 12 April 2014 (UTC)

Copyright problem with File:WWL search example.xml[edit]

Copyright-problem.svg

Thank you for uploading File:WWL search example.xml. However, it currently is missing information on its copyright status. It may be deleted soon, unless we can determine the license and the source of the file. If you know this information, then you can add a copyright tag to the image description page.

If you have uploaded other files, consider checking that you have specified their license and tagged them, too. You can find a list of files you have created in your upload log. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them at this page. Thanks again for your cooperation. Jusjih (talk) 01:33, 4 August 2015 (UTC)

Did you ever attend Wikimania with your money? Talk to us![edit]

TL;DR: Fill a short Wikimania survey, it takes 5 min.

Hi, I'm writing you because you are listed in Wikimania/Frequent attendees. As you probably know by now, Wikimania 2016 Esino Lario wants to achieve a Wikimania format which allows people to "get things done" and leave the conference fully satisfied with the result of their investment of time and other resources (see pillars 2 and 4: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario/Pillars ). For this purpose, we consider all audiences (see https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario/Program#Target ).

Participants other than scholarship recipients and reimbursed representatives are one group we heard very little from, but we think they are important because: 1) they have financial resources and help make the Wikimania budget sustainable; 2) they have motivation to share and ideas on what makes Wikimania valuable.

We set up a form mainly to collect names of some such people and talk with them later: if you provide your contact, we may write you on this topic. We may release aggregate data from the resposes; data will be handled by us and the Wikimania 2016 fiscal sponsor "Ecomuseo delle Grigne" (under EU law). Please fill the whole form, it's short!

Feel free to forward this invite to anyone.

Thanks,
Federico Leva and Martin Rulsch
Wikimania 2016 team, scholarships subteam
08:30, 11 September 2015 (UTC)

Mobile Sidebar not showing up in Modern skin[edit]

Hi Brion and @Brion Vibber (WMF):.

We are having trouble displaying the Mobile Sidebar using the 'Modern' skin. Works fine in 'Vector'.

We want to roll it out as a Wikipedia Tip-of-the-Day soon for folks to try out. Got any ideas? Ping me back on the English Wikipedia. Cheers! Checkingfax (talk) 21:04, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

this may or may not be the source of this specific problem, but the script has this line:
var $content = $('#content');
as far as i understand, what you want to do there is
var $content = mw.util.$content;
peace - קיפודנחש (talk) 20:31, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
on further reading: $content is not used for anything useful - its only use is to calculate top, which in turn is not used. so the real fix is to remove those two variables. peace - קיפודנחש (talk) 01:28, 16 February 2016 (UTC)
on further further reading, $content is indeed not used, but it should be, to replace all the $(#content) in the code... peace - קיפודנחש (talk) 01:54, 16 February 2016 (UTC)

Mobile Sidebar for RtL langes[edit]

Hi, How can I move Mobile sidebar to left for RtL wikis like fa.wikipedia?Yamaha5 (talk) 23:41, 10 March 2016 (UTC)

 ?User:Yamaha5: until Brion answers, you can try the patch we use in hewiki. it's made of 2 parts: loading a special CSS, and using a patched version of the script that takes RTL into account (and btw, also teach the script to live in peace with non-vector skins)
// mobile sidebar is a script written by Brion VIBBER and reside on his page in meta 
// slightly modified by קיפודנחש to accomodate non-vector skins, and for rtl. further, some css is added locally. for css

mw.util.addCSS('#mobile-sidebar { right: auto !important ; left: 20px; } ');
mw.loader.load("//en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:קיפודנחש/mobile-sidebarcopy.js&action=raw&ctype=text/javascript");
peace - קיפודנחש (talk) 15:49, 15 March 2016 (UTC)
user:קיפודנחש: thank you for your answer.
I had corrected this code locally at fa:مدیاویکی:Gadget-mobile-sidebar.js but I wanted to correct it on meta to have direct link to original code like en:mediawiki:Gadget-mobile-sidebar.js Yamaha5 (talk) 06:45, 16 March 2016 (UTC)

Tidying up[edit]

Hey Brion, any problem if I delete this file from 2008? Looks like it was part of testing PDF generation. It doesn't have any license info for the source file, and the wiki it appears to be from (Venti Wiki) appears to be offline now, so I can't see if it was a freely licensed wiki. Let me know if this is a problem or if you have a better approach in mind. -Pete F (talk) 15:15, 17 May 2016 (UTC)

Probably from an old bug report, yeah. --brion (talk) 15:16, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
Cool, thanks. -Pete F (talk) 23:09, 17 May 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign survey on outreach to outside knowledge networks[edit]

Inspire Campaign Knowledge Networks Logo.png

Thanks for your participation during the Inspire Campaign focused on outreach to outside knowledge networks from February 2017. I'm interested in hearing your experience during the campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating. I want to improve how campaigns are run, so let me know if there's something that could be done better for next time.

Please feel free to let me know on my talk page if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 18:34, 31 March 2017 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Survey link error fixed[edit]

Hi there, there was a error with the Inspire survey link that caused the survey to be shown as expired, but has now been fixed. The link in the above message should now bring you to the survey. Apologies, I JethroBT (WMF) 19:20, 31 March 2017 (UTC)

An update from the Sustainability Initiative[edit]

Thank you for supporting the Sustainability Initiative!

Hi, brion! Thank you again for supporting the Sustainability Initiative, which aims at reducing the environmental impact of the Wikimedia movement. Over the past two years, more than 200 Wikipedians from all over the world have come together to push the Wikimedia movement towards greater sustainability.

What's new?

We are writing you this message because there is great news: The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation has finally passed a resolution stating that the Foundation is committed to seeking ways to reduce the impact of its activities on the environment. Also, we have created a cool logo and found a nice name for the project which you can see on the right :-)

What's next?

Currently, we are working with Wikimedia Foundation staff to make sustainability a key priority for the selection of a new location for Wikimedia servers in Singapore. Also, we have presented the Wikimedia Foundation with a green energy roadmap to have all Wikimedia servers run on renewable energy by 2019.

Please help!

Let's keep this project moving forward – and there are several ways in which you can help:

  • Ask other Wikipedians to sign the project page as well – this way we can show the Wikimedia Foundation that this is an issue that the community really cares about.
  • Talk to Wikimedians you know about the importance of reducing the environmental impact of the Wikimedia movement.
  • Improve and translate the project page on Meta.

If you have any questions, you can contact us on on Meta. Again, thank you very much for your support! --Aubrey und Gnom, 2 April 2017