User talk:Jalexander-WMF/Archive 3

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Archive This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.

Your edit on frwiki

Hi,

Just to let you know that I fixed the w:fr:Template:User info on frwiki, so that fr:Utilisateur:Mpaulson's profile now appears as it should. Maybe you should consider adding a the relevant babel templates in her profile, since she does not seem to speak the local language. feel to contact me on my home wiki at w:fr:Discussion utilisateur:Bouchecl if you need further assistance. Have a nice weekend. Bouchecl (talk) 05:05, 6 April 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the help Bouchecl, it looks much better. I've added the babel templates on her page and will leave a message on yours as well in case you don't check her. Jalexander (talk) 01:40, 7 April 2013 (UTC)

Transparent WIKIMEDIA badge

Continued from User_talk:Philippe_(WMF)#Transparent_WIKIMEDIA_badge

It will be swell to have an SVG or other source file for the Wikimedia-button-for-homepage.png if you find it. However, I made do with that and pixel by pixel editing for now (transparent background with white around the text: Wikimedia-button-transparent.png). It is not perfect but readable and looks okay to me on Www.wikivoyage.org template/temp v8 (to see it, click "Preview HTML" via drop down arrow next to page top Medaiwiki Search box on that page). If we have a branding issue that needs attention, please let me know. Thanks, --Rogerhc (talk) 18:55, 9 April 2013 (UTC)

Hey Roger, sorry for the delay, we've been poking around and honestly can't find an svg copy... i'm not completely sure one exists since it's been used in such a 'standard' way for so long I'm not sure anyone made a more flexible format (or at least made it very available). Jay can't even think about when he would have seen it since he started (almost 6 years ago now). I looked at the button you made now and that's probably workable (I'm going to run it by Jay) but he wanted me to let you know that he's pretty comfortable with you branching out as well. If you wanted to try something different for example the logo, which we have as SVG in a couple formats, and just plain text along the bottom of the page (or under the photo credit/TOS section) or something else breaking out of the 'button' format. He'd actually almost prefer A Wikimedia Foundation project (to be more specific since 'Wikimedia" is go generic ) but obviously that's a bit different then the norm. Jalexander (talk) 23:14, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

Wikivoyage test wikis

James, I opened a request for a Wikivoyage test wiki at wmflabs. However, because wmflabs is a very quiet place I'm no sure anyone will notice my request. I want to see if I can get mw:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector installed and configured to serve as a way for Wikivoyagers to switch between the 13 language versions of Wikivoyage. Are you aware of any wiki's that are using that extension in that way? I'm not sure it will be easy to get it to do this, but I'd like to give it a try in a test space. Thus my request on wmflabs.org for Wikivoyage test wikis. Do you know who I could ping to get that request looked at? Thanks! --Rogerhc (talk) 04:51, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

Hey Roger, Sumanah is probably the one who can help shepherd it along the fastest and knows the logistics of getting the extensions pushed out etc. I'll give her a ping and see if she can help. I haven't played much with that specific extension but I'm always a fan of trying something out (and that's what labs is for) and seeing if it is better then the interwiki links etc. While you're working on it (or before) you may want to reach out to User:Santhosh.thottingal as well who is the extension creator and (now, I don't think then) works for us in internationalization as well. He obviously has a deep understanding of how it all works together. Jalexander (talk) 23:29, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

Censorship of Office Hours transcript

Could you explain this, if you have the information behind it? - 2001:558:1400:10:B5EB:9417:83C0:16AC 19:28, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

Urgent CentralNotice issue

You have new messages
Hello, Jalexander-WMF. You have new messages at Meta:Requests_for_help_from_a_sysop_or_bureaucrat.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Thanks! -- MarcoAurelio (talk) 14:35, 30 April 2013 (UTC)

Hi Jalexander! Could I ask you to turn off the Wiki Loves Public Art CentralNotice on the Hebrew Wikipedia? They don't want it active. Best John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 18:00, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
Done! Jalexander (talk) 18:04, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
Hi again, we discussed it some more and it seem like there is no objection to have it on for a week. Could you activate it again? Thanks! John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 13:29, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
Hi James! Did you have time to activate it? Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:33, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done, I'll repeat my suggestion on the other page that you think about not extending it more then another week (or even less). A month is a very long time and you quickly get to a point where you are annoying more people then you're helping or getting. There are very few banners that need to be up that long (as an example, the new fundraiser banners only show to you a couple times then try to never show to you again, because they found out that almost everyone clicked early and never late). Jalexander (talk) 21:38, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
Thank you for helping out!
This is the first time that we are organizing this contest and we believe it to be central that as many people as possible see this. From earlier discussions there have been a strong support to have it up for the entire time, with a change of the text in the middle of the month. (Of course the teams all have a close eye on their communities' reactions and discussions about this!)
That said, perhaps it would make sense to modify the time frame that the CentralNotice is up for logged in users though (but keep it on for anonymous user the entire time). I will ask what the teams' think and I will get back to you asap about what we would like to be done. Please don't change anything beforehand. Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 22:41, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
Hmm, I'd actually say that's completely the opposite, if anything anonymous users should be turned off WAY before logged in users. They didn't have any say in whether they were getting banners, only the logged in users did I assume, and they are much less 'likely' to want to participate as a percentage of the whole than logged in users who we know. Where did the discussions having strong support? What is on the local wikis? If you have a local wiki mandate I'm more ok with the logged in banners running for the longer period. I know that this is the first time but, believe me, the evidence has shown that the there are incredibly shrinking returns on investment here and showing it to tens of millions of people for a tiny fraction of a percentage response rate is not a very good return on investment (with the investment being 'good will' generally because every person who gets annoyed about it hurts us at some level). Jalexander (talk) 05:21, 10 May 2013 (UTC)
Dear James,
A central goal for us when organizing a contest such as this has been to attract new contributors to Commons by showing that we need and want their help. Hence, turning of CN for anonymous users would not be in line with this goal at all. Just showing them that we want their help has a value in itself IMHO (and I know this has been discussed a lot during the fundraiser as well).
Also, for the logged in users I think it's important to point out that the WLPA CentralNotice has had a low weight compared to the WMF CentralNotices, reducing the amount of people seeing WLPA's CentralNotice (even though some of WMF's CentralNotices were added last minute...).
Sorry if I was unclear, I was talking about the organizing teams, consisting of volunteers in the different countries/communities, and that they have shown a strong interest and support for activating CN during the span of the contest. They know their Communities and countries better than us so I trust their judgement. Also, I have not seen this type of discussions about WLM and the use of the banners during the entire month for that contest (a case which I think is much more suitable to compare to than the fundraiser). Why would WLPA be treated differently? (After all, even though it is obviously much smaller the banners are geolocated to the participating countries.) Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:13, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
FYI: I have emailed the participating teams/countries and asked what they think should be done. John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:16, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
Thanks, I should be clear that I don't think that is good for ANY group and am not singling you out. The fact that they did it does not make it right or good for you too. We have abused CN too much and are over using it, it's a giant cudgel that we over use to try and get tiny amounts. I'll comment more on that as I get a chance but more importantly: I have turned off Hebrew and Israel completely. The wiki loves israel website has been compromised and is serving up js scripts files from multiple websites known to distribute malware. I would ask that you also get the other teams to remove that link from all other WLPA sites. I'll send this as an email to you as well. Jalexander (talk) 22:30, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
I am not taking this personal or anything. However, I do not agree that having the CentralNotice up would not be worth it and that keeping the CN up would have a low value. I am basing my opinion on the data from the WLM 2012 survey, which shows that more than half of participants were not active users before and that most of them discovered the contest through the sitenotice.
As the WLM contest is one of the most successful event we have to get new participants, and that the CentralNotice was central to the success, I really do think it is worth taking into consideration. Comparing a contest with the fundraiser is IMHO like comparing apples with oranges. Donating is something you do instantly when you see a banner, then you move on. While for a photo contest you have to get a reminder more often so that you remember to bring the camera when leaving the house.
As the CentralNotice has not been on for non-logged-in users from the start of the contest the banner would in fact only be on for two weeks for them! I.e. half the time we requested, two weeks cannot be seen as very long.
Can you point me to any discussions where the WLM banner and the time that it should be up has been discussed previously (and where the consensus is that monthly long contests should only have it activated for part of the time)? Or has this been decided off-wiki?
If the time does get cut then we would definitely want the CentralNotice to be displayed during the last week so as to remind people to upload their photos! Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 15:15, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

FYI: I was asked to enable showing the banner to anonymous users on my talk page and I have checked the box. (Hmm, lots of colons to indent. We need Flow!) PiRSquared17 (talk) 22:35, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

Ugh, thanks for the note. That makes the compromise even more frustrating since more people saw it :-/. Hopefully we can limit this anonymous views as much as possible to a week or so. We don't need much longer then that and I don't see an overwhelming reason to. Jalexander (talk) 22:37, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
It was compromised when I enabled it?! Now I feel guilty. Is it still in LinkSearch anywhere? Is the domain name in any MediaWiki messages? PiRSquared17 (talk) 22:45, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
It looks like you actually snuck in just in time lol, about 3 minutes after I disabled Israel ;). I know it's on other WLPA sites (and probably some of the on wiki pages about it), I haven't tried linksearch yet but that's a good idea. Jalexander (talk) 22:48, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Maybe disabling the banner temporarily is the best solution. Reader security is much more important than publicity of this for a few hours while we clean up. PiRSquared17 (talk) 22:50, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Here's what I found - [1][2][3][4][5][6]. There are still some on he: Special:LinkSearch/wikilovesisrael.com, please fix. Busy. PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:04, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Did two more on hewiki. Maybe check this. I assume WMF people have better ways of doing this though. ;) PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:07, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Sure, that sounds reasonable. I have informed the teams and removed the link on the international website and the Swedish one, Austria has also removed it. As far as I can see Catalonia doesn't have any links on their page. So it seem like only Finland still has a link up. Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 23:17, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Thanks PiR I've searched through as much as I can find on our end and removed a couple from enWIki, i think we have them at the moment ... Jalexander (talk) 23:19, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Wonderful! Thank you :). John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 23:35, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the giveaways (and everything else)

Hello again, James. I have been meaning to thank you for the en:WP:GIVEAWAY program ever since last October. Sorry for taking so long. I think it's a great way to show appreciation to our dedicated volunteers. And I also hope the community appreciates this type of support from the WMF and that it helps curtail some of the trying comments the community aims at the WMF. I see the community grumbling at the WMF and it pains me greatly that they don't truly appreciate all the work you folks do. As an IP, I also understand how the community can be a bit gruff and I sure hope that a few kind words like this will make up for some of the things you guys and gals have to put up with. From my perspective, the people at the WMF have been busting their behinds trying to keep things running and make them better for everybody. I certainly appreciate all the work you guys/gals do. And I notice the huge amount of hours you put in. It's difficult work, so I certainly hope you are getting some measure of satisfaction knowing that your helping educate and inform millions of people around the world. I think it's a great endeavor and I'm very thankful that you and the others are putting in so much effort to help make things better. Thanks for your dedication. I certainly appreciate it and I expect many others do as well. 64.40.54.63 01:48, 1 June 2013 (UTC)

Thank you very much 64, this really does mean an awful lot. Jalexander (talk) 02:31, 1 June 2013 (UTC)

SecurePoll Translation

Hey there James! An email was sent out to translators requesting help with the SecurePoll translations. I'm done with the Swahili ones [7] but I'm not sure if I went about it the right way since this if the first time I'm translating on Meta. Could you please take a look or point me to the right person? Thanks! --Syed Kazim (talk) 01:46, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

Hi Syed! Thanks so much for your quick help with the translation. It looks like you've done it almost perfectly! A couple notes that are not obvious for someone on their first time:
  • In general you want to try and mark something as 'ready' rather then published because it may need to be moved to another location (for example CentralNotice, or in this case SecurePoll) and an administrator will come by and mark it as published when that's done (or if it doesn't need to be moved anywhere just mark it as published). That allows them to keep better track of what they've moved and what they haven't. The translations are still available on the page for everyone as soon as you've saved them no matter what the setting is though.
  • It is a bit up to the translator, but some like to not mark at new translation as 'ready' right away but instead mark it as 'proofreading' because that essentially asks for another translator to come by and do a double check. That isn't always as important for these small translations or if you're confident so it's a bit more up to you.
Thanks again for your help! If you have a quick chance to translate the Central Notice banners it would be great as well. Sadly I didn't realize those weren't translated yet until after I sent out the mass message. Jalexander (talk) 02:06, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Done. If there's anything else I can help with just let me know. --Syed Kazim (talk) 06:26, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

Global message delivery

In the future, maybe you could add the timestamp (~~~~~) and a link to m:GMD too. ;) PiRSquared17 (talk) 01:12, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

Oh, and use links like m:Special:MyLanguage/Trademark practices discussion, which automatically sends the user to the translated version if it exists? Not sure PiRSquared17 (talk) 01:14, 4 June 2013 (UTC)
Yeah, both of these make perfect sense ;) I was mostly just copying/pasting but did change a couple of things so should have caught that. Jalexander (talk) 01:18, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

Removal

Hello, I need a stewart to do this job for me: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SRP#Cezarika1.40rowiki. Thanks. Cezarika1 (talk) 04:06, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

Bug in Election2013 voting starts

Hi, there's a problem with Special:CentralNoticeBanners/edit/Election2013 voting starts, as described at en:WP:VPT#Elections banner is buggy. Where should this be reported, please? --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 10:25, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

Thanks redrose, I responded on the VPT and am looking into it. Jalexander (talk) 22:04, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

Gender of username

Does that mean the documentation is wrong/outdated? PiRSquared17 (talk) 01:13, 15 June 2013 (UTC)

Yes, it was wrong, I'm not totally sure why it got there. However at the moment it doesn't matter I'm just trying to get things to work for the scripts which were supposed to go a while ago and ran into issues with the wikitext. I was originally going to adjust the gender stuff after dumping the translations but might as well fix them as I go through to update the other things. Jalexander (talk) 01:16, 15 June 2013 (UTC)
Are you the one who sent the email? Apparently the nomail list isn't working for everyone (see discussion) PiRSquared17 (talk) 04:16, 15 June 2013 (UTC)
In collaboration with tech, yes. I'll start looking into what happened so that we can figure it out thanks. Jalexander (talk) 04:56, 15 June 2013 (UTC)

Ping

Hello, is this you? --Minderbinder (talk) 19:05, 20 June 2013 (UTC)

This is me yes :) Jalexander (talk) 19:08, 20 June 2013 (UTC)

Planet Wikimedia

Hi James. I'm contacting you because I've seen that you were the most active person handling additions/removals to the Planet Wikimedia project. One of the blogs is being a real issue now, and such remarks should not stay on Wikimedia official websites. Could you please look into this, please ? I've created a section on the proper page. Best regards, -- Quentinv57 (talk) 15:25, 22 June 2013 (UTC)

Ainsi va Wikipédia and fr:Planet Wikimedia

Hello James!

Would it be possible to end the trench warfare on his page? It's in honour of nobody.

I repeat me, my blog has approximately 250 posts and less than 20 posts mention the names of contributors for failure to respect five pillars.

That these posts did not make pleasure to these contributors, I can understand but Wikimedia cannot participate in a scores settling based on untrue motives. I let you appreciate non-consensual interventions of Jean-Jacques Georges who encourage a bad mood.

If you think that my blog has no its place on fr: planet, you say it and you stop this discussion. If it has its place, say it quickly to avoid the excesses. Same for blog of Pierrot le Chroniqueur Wikirigoler on this page.

In any case, at the end of discussion, I shall ask you "oversight". The defamation charges against me are false, that has been demonstrated by contributors. Accused me wrongly of defamation, it’s also a libel against me.

Thank you and best regards -- Hamelin [ de Guettelet ] • 16:44, 22 July 2013 (UTC)

Hello James!
Already,
Six weeks since you have removed Ainsi va Wikipédia of fr:Planet,
Five weeks since my application for reinstatement,
and then ... nothing,
One week, Wikimania at Hong Kong,
and then ... still nothing,
however,
Ainsi va Wikipédiais not inconsistent with the criteria published for Planet,
and more,
You have had opportunity to verify that Ainsi va Wikipédia was not the blog presented by these few detractors who are nothing compared to 29,000 visits of my blog,
now,
I will be wanting of your decision.
If this may make your decision easier, I agree to modify the terms of my posts criticized by my opponents.
Thank you and best regards -- Hamelin [ de Guettelet ] • 22:50, 22 August 2013 (UTC)
To be honest I do not see consensus in that discussion to re add it. I was asked to remove it by the stewards and multiple other users who felt it was used to attack against other users. A large part of me believes that if there is that much controversy about a blog being on the list it just doesn't belong. I will allow others to also judge consensus, but I won't be adding it back on my own. 23:42, 24 August 2013 (UTC)
To be honest I do see that an articuled operation well organized for to muzzle a blog which embarrasses the problematics contributors that I denounce. My rough and ready expression is just a bad grounds, contributors in charge are not fools.
Regards -- Hamelin [ de Guettelet ] • 21:56, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
They are many way to denounce problematics contributors without using this kind of picture ! And as you said "ce blog-notes est maintenant suffisamment connu et nombre de contributeurs sont abonnés aux flux RSS pour n'avoir plus besoin de la publicité de Planet Wikipédia." So I don't understand why you are so preoccupied by your reintroduction.
But, I agree this blog has some good publications but others are unfortunately inapropriate and very offensive to a lot of contributors on Wikipedia.
Best regards--Mattho69 (talk) 13:39, 26 August 2013 (UTC)
Bonjour Mattho69
Si tu veux me laisser un message, j'ai une page de discussion, tu n'es pas obligé de polluer les user talk d'un autre contributeur. Je t'ai donc répondu sur ta page.
Cordialement -- Hamelin [ de Guettelet ] • 18:59, 26 August 2013 (UTC)

commons:File_talk:Wikivoyage-logo.svg#Overwrite

Hi. Please comment. Note that I did not propose it. PiRSquared17 (talk) 15:10, 6 September 2013 (UTC)

Oh, never mind. You already commented. :P PiRSquared17 (talk) 15:12, 6 September 2013 (UTC)

the German Problem

Dear Jalexander, I make Your Job Now self!--77.24.126.128 21:01, 8 September 2013 (UTC)

Wikivoyage logo with highlight

James, just wanted to give you a heads up, I am working on a version of the new Wikivoyage logo, with white drop-glow for use on the www.wikivoyage.org portal page. The logo already has a transparent background. So I didn't need to modify that but similar to what I did in the transparent WIKIMEDIA badge I gave this version of the Wikivoyage logo a white drop-glow so it will show better on the sunset background at www.wikivoyage.org.

You can see this logo work at User:Rogerhc/WV_logo_glow.

Let me know if this brings up any branding issues, or if I need to do the licensing differently.

Thanks, Rogerhc (talk) 05:57, 10 September 2013 (UTC)

Privacy policy banner translation

jem- asked on IRC to update the banner to reflect the last translation. There are several languages in need of update. --Nemo 05:54, 15 September 2013 (UTC)

Thanks Nemo, looking now. Jalexander (talk) 06:02, 15 September 2013 (UTC)

Privacy policy

Hi Jalexander. Since you renamed the old privacy policy page to a new name, please look at this rename request of the talk page. Trijnsteltalk 11:59, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

Thanks Trij, Yes check.svg Done Jalexander (talk) 12:11, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

Mail about fair use from tr.wikipedia

Mr. James Alexander, i sent you e-mail. And this mail is so important for tr.wikipedia. I would be most grateful if you would look into this matter as soon as possible. Yours sincerely. Beyazmavi (talk) 15:37, 19 September 2013 (UTC)

Help test better mass message delivery

Hi. You're being contacted as you've previously used global message delivery (or its English Wikipedia counterpart). It doesn't feel so great to be spammed, does it? ;-)

For the past few months, Legoktm has built a replacement to the current message delivery system called MassMessage. MassMessage uses a proper user interface form (no more editing a /Spam subpage), works faster (it can complete a large delivery in minutes), and no longer requires being on an access list (any local administrator can use it). In addition, many tiny annoyances with the old system have been addressed. It's a real improvement! :-)

You can test out MassMessage here: testwiki:Special:MassMessage. The biggest difference you'll likely notice is that any input list must use a new {{#target:}} parser function. For example, {{#target:User talk:Jimbo Wales}} or {{#target:User talk:Jimbo Wales|test2.wikipedia.org}}. For detailed instructions, check out mw:Help:Extension:MassMessage.

If you find any bugs, have suggestions for additional features, or have any other feedback, drop a note at m:Talk:MassMessage. Thanks for spamming! --MZMcBride (talk) 05:24, 1 October 2013 (UTC)

Secure-info mail

Hello. Sorry to disturb you, but recently i sent a e-mail to 'secure-info at wikimedia.org' for this request, but there is no any reaction or answer... I'm afraid letter might go to "spam", is it possible to check it... Thanks! OneLittleMouse (talk) 02:39, 16 October 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the poke OneLittleMouse, I just went and found it and have added you to the ID Noticeboard so you should be set on that front :) Good luck!. Jalexander--WMF 02:42, 16 October 2013 (UTC)
OK, thanks again! OneLittleMouse (talk) 02:50, 16 October 2013 (UTC)

You Sleep??

About the german Wiki IP-Rocording ? --77.24.58.18 22:26, 17 November 2013 (UTC)

Call for comments on draft trademark policy

Well, I'm not sure whether to thank you for this revert, or not.[8] I mean, as a new trademark policy, it *is* kinda catchy, don't you think? Once, dated an NBA player from Georgia, and I don't mean the one which borders southwest South Carolina, either! Suggest you think it over. Maybe a journalist, with humanitarian interests, really IS the best conceivable embodiment of trademark policy. Did you just unilaterally revert, without even opening a new talkpage section? Tsk!  :-)   Translation: danke, your catch is appreciated. — 74.192.84.101 23:52, 18 January 2014 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Wikikina

Hi, Jalexander, I was wondering if you now what Wikikina and for example this and this is. Would this be a potential copyright infringement if it is not supported by the WMDE or WMF? Thank you for your time. Lotje (talk) 08:55, 19 November 2013 (UTC)

Beginning of MassMessage, end of EdwardsBot

Hi. You're being contacted as you're listed as an EdwardsBot user.

MassMessage has been deployed to all Wikimedia wikis. For help using the new tool, please check out its help page or drop a note on Meta-Wiki.

With over 400,000 edits to Wikimedia wikis, EdwardsBot has served us well; however EdwardsBot will no longer perform local or global message delivery after December 31, 2013.

A huge thanks to Legoktm, Reedy, Aaron Schulz and everyone else who helped to get MassMessage deployed. --MZMcBride (talk) 02:36, 22 November 2013 (UTC)


MediaWiki:Centralnotice-trademarkpolicyA-text1/fr

Hi. Can you please replace "vis-a-vis" by "vis-à-vis", the correct spelling. I hope it will then appear automatically on the sitenotice in Wikipedia in French! Thks. Zetud (talk) 23:21, 26 November 2013 (UTC)

done! thanks! Jalexander--WMF 01:35, 27 November 2013 (UTC)

voy:en:Wikivoyage:Travellers'_pub#.voyage

Hi! How would we go about requesting something like this? --Rschen7754 09:38, 28 November 2013 (UTC)

Hi Rschen, looks very interesting! I know the legal team has been thinking about the tld's and domains to buy but it's always good to put ones we want off the bat on their radar. Yana Welinder is the one within the team who takes the lead on that (as well as squatting/mistype domains you see around) and she would be the best one to reach out to. You can reach her through the email user feature or feel free to email directly at Ywelinder@wikimedia.org (feel free to copy me in if you want but not necessary). I'll give her a heads up as well!. Jalexander--WMF 09:46, 28 November 2013 (UTC)

New privacy policy

Hi James. I saw this and just wanted to say that while my opinion has changed a bit, the identification rule still stands. You still want to make a list of everyone with CU/OS/steward etc rights. And I do understand that it's important, but why do you want to know our address? Isn't the place and email address enough (besides name/age - I don't like date of birth either, but okay)? And you will keep the info for as long as someone has those rights, +6 months. Why the 6 months? I'm still not comfortable about this policy... Trijnsteltalk 23:30, 9 December 2013 (UTC)

Hey Trij, I encourage you to express those questions and views on the talk page again if you haven't. I think that section was right to close given the large changes since it was created (and the wording that it was regarding people who would quit given the draft at the time). While I'm certainly happy to talk privately about my personal opinions on the draft in the end I'm just another voice on it (and I promise the policies up for consultation would be very different if I wrote them ;) ). It is very important to say what you're thinking though, especially after the changes, because the legal team is really very interested in it. I know, for example, that they are heavily considering the option of just getting rid of the ID requirement (and building a statement to that effect in the privacy policy) given the feedback and so hearing what you think of that and what you think should be required is important. On the other hand I also know I had multiple Stewards come up to me, in person, a couple months ago wanting much MUCH stricter ID checks with legal/notary certification etc. It is, sadly, not a cut and dry issue and so I really want to hear from as many people as possible. Right now we have a bit more then a month left in the scheduled time frame, and I hope we'll be done by then, but in the end we want to get it right more then any time schedule. Let me know if you need anything, heading to bed now but will obviously be around as usual. Jalexander--WMF 08:58, 10 December 2013 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done, see Talk:Access to nonpublic information policy#More about the ID procedure;
Even stricter ID checks? From stewards?! I could guess who they are, but they never said those things to me personally or on stewards-l. Trijnsteltalk 16:21, 10 December 2013 (UTC)

Mike Wood/legalmorning.com

On enwiki the account Morning277 was given a community ban, based on what was found in a sock-puppet investigation.

The company legalmorning.com was brought up in the sock-puppet investigation--please note in the report the mention of an Elance page where a "Mike W." was hired to write three Wikipedia articles.

News stories came out connecting the company Wiki-PR, which hires people on Elance and similar sites, to the creation of several Wikipedia articles brought up in the sock-puppet investigation. The people and companies who had been the subjects of the articles confirmed to reporters that Wiki-PR had been hired. Wiki-PR received its own community ban on the English Wikipedia, and around 19 November, WMF Legal had an e-mail sent asking them to cease and desist [9].

Now, this story has appeared on ibtimes.com, in which someone named Mike Wood is quoted as saying "Morning277 is my account, but I am not Wiki-PR nor do I have a relation with them [...] I do not provide any information about edits that were done under that account and do not disclose any work that I have done since that account", that he owns legalmorning.com, and that he "was using multiple accounts to create articles". In light of this, perhaps a separate cease-and-desist request to Mike Wood or legalmorning.com would be helpful. Rybec (talk) 22:58, 27 January 2014 (UTC)

To put it a bit simpler: the SPI which has been used as the basis of actions against Wiki-PR contains accounts that can reasonably be attributed to Wiki-PR, accounts which can reasonably be attributed to Morning277/Mike Wood, and accounts which are not necessarily connected to either. Morning277/Mike Wood are not the same as Wiki-PR, and both Mike Wood and Wiki-PR have stated that they are unrelated. So we cannot rely on the findings in that SPI to make claims about any further editing by Wiki-PR, as identified accounts may belong to either party, or may not be directly related to either. - Bilby (talk) 00:20, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
Hi Rybec and Bilby,
Regarding the on-wiki Morning277 SPI, that's a question for the community and the CU community on enWiki. The statements made in the "Cease and Desist" letter were based on an investigation that we did, which was separate from the SPI and was very specifically focused on Wiki-PR and our evidence linked to them. Regarding Morning277, we're aware of Mr. Wood and are continuing to review our options in regards to him. Jalexander--WMF 18:00, 29 January 2014 (UTC)

Bug fixes and updates for cebwiki

Hi!

Since you edited cebwiki's common.js yesterday, could you also implement a few more changes I suggested at ceb:MediaWiki talk:Common.js#Bug fixes and updates? Thanks, Helder 18:41, 30 January 2014 (UTC)

That can be handled by global sysops; you can place a request at SRM. --Rschen7754 02:32, 1 February 2014 (UTC)
Yikes, sorry Helder, I did indeed mean to point you towards SRM like Rschen recommended, sorry it took so long. I just think its better for something like that to go through the community process when we can (I made the edits I made since it came to me in a work context ). Jalexander--WMF 02:34, 1 February 2014 (UTC)

Fair use pictures in Wikivoyage banners

Would you mind taking a look at the discussion at voy:en:Wikivoyage_talk:Non-free_content#Distillation_of_the_argument? I am concerned about en.wikivoyage's interpretation of fair use, specifically that it is permissible to have fair-use images in banners like voy:en:Baltimore/Midtown, and think it violates wmf:Resolution:Licensing policy. Rschen7754 03:02, 1 February 2014 (UTC)

Thanks for the pointer Rschen. I'll take a look this evening and think about it but will probably want to chat with one or two others here before I (or one of them) respond. Because of that it may be early next week before I'm able to since most of them have gone home already (and the board meeting is this weekend). Jalexander--WMF 03:06, 1 February 2014 (UTC)

Question

Hi sir,
I asked you a question on one of your subpages. I wanted to know if you have intention to answer me or if the question is too difficult/far from your work ? If so, do you know who I must contact to have an answer ?
Thank you ! Simon Villeneuve 13:23, 11 February 2014 (UTC)

Your corrections of anchors are wrong

Look at the talk page of the Privacy policy why. Basically your id's are invalid (spaces and punctuations, including the ampersands to avoid absolutely in anchors!) and not unique (browsers will fail to link to them).

Note that MediaWiki has to "anchroencode" the headings to generate pseduo-unique id's (but this process fails each time a article contains the same heading text in different sections). MediaWiki replaces all punctuations, spaces (but it neddlessly encodes the non-ASCII characters, instead of keeping them unchanged in UTF-8 form, when they are letters (see the HTML doc about validity of IDs for HTML and XML (including XHTML). The pseudo id's generaed by MediaWiki by default on section headings are not reliable, they work sometimes

But do not trust MediaWiki's ANCHORENCODE function to do the work correctly for any valid input string. The simplest way is to insert static anchors made only of lowercase letters (with words separated only by dash-hyphens), and truncated to only the significant words. You should also generate IDs limtied in length (you don't need to include all words of a section heading, only those that are selective of the section). You may use section numbers in your id's if they are easier to track (e.g. with anchor "section-2-2", so that source links will use "#section-2.2") privided the structure is stable; but it's preferable to use the most significant keyword of the heading, possibly augmented by an ordinal if it has several occurences, or by the next selective keyword: look at the TOC, copy paste it to an excel sheet column, then in a second column assign an ID. Make sure (by sorting the table) that all ID's chosen are unique. Then use this sheet as a reference sheet to set the anchors used in source links.

All anchors in the article are to review (most of them are invalid, they must be all different from section headings to be unique)

Then check the source links present in the transcluded template.

Note that the transcluded template should also include a parameter for the base URL to insert in source links... That template should be fully in a includeonly section followed by a noinclude section transcluding it with the expected URL of the article, so that target anchors can be tested. Make sure that the trnaslated template will still correctly link to the correct translated full article which itself transcludes the translated template !!!

Yes this is lot of work because MediaWiki still does not assist you to track where an anchor is used in source links... You need lot of rigor to deifne ID's for static anchors, then need to check that all source links use the correct static anchors defined for each heading of the article...

verdy_p (talk) 01:18, 12 February 2014 (UTC)

Responded on the talk page. Jalexander--WMF 01:41, 12 February 2014 (UTC)

CentralNotice/Calendar

Hi. I've undone this edit of yours in this edit. Please clarify if/when re-posting. Broadly, we should be moving away from fully global banners. --MZMcBride (talk) 04:11, 12 February 2014 (UTC)

Child protection policy

Hi - see my note on Geoff's page. I just wanted to understand why nothing has been done in 6 months about my questions on child protection. Peter Damian (talk) 21:19, 5 March 2014 (UTC)

Request for feedback on my GSoC'14 proposal

Hi Jalexander,

I am planning to work on the project titled "Tools for mass migration of legacy translated wiki content" this summer under Google Summer of Code. I have drafted a proposal for the same over the past few weeks. This project is going to help the translation adminstrators like you in a great way, as it would completely automate the tedious manual task of preparing a page for translation and then importing the translations into the Translate extension. You can check the proposal page for detailed information on how I plan to accomplish this.

As you would be an end user of this tool, it would be great if you could go through the proposal and provide feedback/suggestions. Your feedback would definitely help me improve the proposal as well help in creating an even better tool. You can do the same on the discussion page of the proposal or reply here, whichever is convenient for you. I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you!

P.S: I need to submit the proposal to Google by March 19, 2014.

BPositive (talk) 13:14, 13 March 2014 (UTC)