Wikidata Community User Group
The Wikidata Community User Group focus is to support the Wikidata community in communication tasks, outreach to external groups, coordination of software tools development, and facilitate resource allocation according to its member needs.
- Outreach - attracting more active community members and raising awareness of Wikidata
- Community support - supporting volunteer editors in order to contribute more effectively
- Communication - facilitate discussions, find consensus, and ease the flow of information between the Wikidata community and the Wikimedia movement
- Software development - supporting the development of features or tools to accommodate the specific needs of the Wikidata community
- Resource gathering - support volunteers gathering resources both from the Wikimedia movement and from external and partner organizations to conduct their activities
Pros and cons of doing this through a user group
None of the proposed activities above necessitate the formation of a user group, so here are some pros and cons around using such an organizational structure:
- Outreach: partnerships with external entities can be simpler — many organizations prefer to collaborate with organizations rather than individuals or loose groups
- Community support: ...
- Communication: Establishes a community which anyone can contact for orientation to the Wikidata community
- Software development: ...
- Resource gathering: Expedites general requests for grants from the Wikimedia Foundation, and also provides a channel for any individual or small group to get review for their independent project from an established community group
- Outreach: Creates confusion about roles, as having any organization gives the impression that the group represents the entire project
- Community support: Many curious people can become disappointed when a user group fails to satisfy all needs, even when those needs are outside the scope of what the group offers to do.
- Communication: ...
- Software development: ...
- Resource gathering: Any gathering of financial resources creates tension and misunderstanding in the Wikimedia community
- added layer of bureaucracy (e.g. regular formalized reporting)
- Further points to consider
- Since the Wikidata community is global, it is currently not obvious how any emerging organizational structures can best reflect that.
History of the WD-CUG
The Wikidata community has been always very committed to the project both in online activities and also in offline events. Because of its international nature, there has been already one meet-up in Wikimania London 2014 where the community present in that event assembled twice to discuss community topics. There have also been other initiatives like the Lounge (now inactive). Additionally, there is a weekly newsletter maintained by the development team with volunteer contributions.
Becoming a member
Currently there are no restrictions for becoming a WD-CUG member, anyone that participates frequently in Wikidata or wants to contribute to make Wikidata a better functioning community is welcome to sign up to the list below.
Whenever there is a community event or an event that requires broad community attention, it will be announced to the list of members. Additionally any volunteer can launch their own initiative with the support of other volunteers, or request help from partner organizations like Chapters. For now this group is considered in "Step 1: gathering the people", so you are very welcome to join or propose ideas on the talk page.
- Micru (wd, ca-ws, Amical Wikimedia) as promoter
- Heddryin (mainly wp:fr, wd) as a resource gatherer
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:37, 17 June 2015 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk)
- Sjoerd de Bruin (talk) 18:40, 31 August 2015 (UTC)
- — regards, Revi 18:51, 31 August 2015 (UTC)
- Amit Kumar Jaiswal
- ~ Moheen (talk) 22:05, 29 January 2017 (UTC)
- Argotechnica (talk) 02:27, 14 February 2017 (UTC)
- Research Bot (talk) 16:54, 14 February 2017 (UTC)
- PKM (talk) 16:17, 1 April 2017 (UTC)
- -Hasive • talk • 08:06, 28 May 2017 (UTC)
- Sami Mlouhi (talk) 08:36, 10 may 2017 (UTC)