Wikibase Community User Group/Meetings/2020-09-03/Notes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Archived notes from Etherpad of the 2020-09-03 meeting.
- 16:00 UTC, 1 hour, Thursday 3 September 2020
- Online meeting on Google Meet: https://meet.google.com/hch-trhy-trv
- Join by phone: https://meet.google.com/tel/hch-trhy-trv?pin=4486380681555&hs=1
- GLAM data modeling, focusing on CIDOC-CRM / event-based modeling in Wikibase + Wikidata.
- This will be an open session and participants are free to demo their projects over the discussions.
- Lessons learned, challenges, success stories, etc with all participants.
- Topic and schedule of the next meeting
Participants (who is here)
- Mohammed Sadat (WMDE)
- Dan Shick (WMDE)
- Jens Ohlig (WMDE)
- Lozana Rossenova (Rhizome)
- Jarmo Saarikko (the National Library of Finland)
- Sarah Hartmann (German National Library and not an CIDOC expert;-))
- Jeroen De Dauw (Professional.Wiki)
- Okko Vainonen (the National Library of Finland)
- Johannes Hentschel (DCML@EPFL https://www.epfl.ch/labs/dcml/ Wikibase: https://muwi.epfl.ch/)
- Victor Agroskin
- Overview for new attendees: this is a monthly call about WB development and bringing like-minded folks together to expand on how to use WB
- Last month's preso from Lozana (see notes)
- Today: open discussion on success stories, etc.
- Introductions (see participants list :) )
- Lozana discussed PROV last time, we wanted a further discussion this time on different ontologies
- Talks about us having an open sessoin where different people can share their experience using standard ontologies in custome Wikibases or even in Wikidata
- CIDOC represents a common, event-based standard. Difficulties in implementing such standards in WB
- CIDOC specialists hoped for but not currently present
- Lozana solicits questions on the event-based topic
- https://seco.cs.aalto.fi/publications/2019/hyvonen-en-sampos-2019.pdf - group of knowledge websites on various topics which are using CIDOC-CRM model in the background e.g. https://biografiasampo.fi/ collection interlinked biographies of prominent people in Finland.
- Rhizome: custom ontology -- project page (link) shows how to map onto PROV standard
- Lozana explains the reasom why we Rhizome focuses on CDOC is not because of special preference but because it is a commons standard and it is also event based.
- Prov is a standard for digital provenance. where it is a relevant to cidoc crms,
- Lozana presents an overview of PROV & Rhizome's implementation
- Feel free to go and have a look and add comments here or on Telegram
- We have our own custom ontology because it's useful to be able to connect accross instances
- where relevant, things have been mapped to prov standards
- Types of records have been separated; artworks and their differnt variatins altjought its not a fully fledged standard
- Basically as a group we were interesting to see if there was a better way not necessarily similar to what we have done at Rhizome
- Lozana: one of hte way I've been trying to go about with documentation is to write Wikiproject pages for the differnt project I'm involved in
- Question: how do you do trhe mapping in the wikibase --> yes we use the exact map [missed point] which is also done in wikidata.
- For now each of the properties we are able to connect it to the wiki. if people really want to learn, they could follow the proper ontology
- "Proper federation" --> Wikidata folks.
- Active project: federated properties, as in properties from Wikidata that can be used on your Wikibase instance.
- On the roadmap: other federation-adjacent topics (reusing items, etc.) -- "far future, not this year"
- Discussion about what need to happen with federation on the wikipages can be communicated with the people whon were invioved in it. https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Federation_input
- Rhizome would be interested to do some more work with WMDE with regrds to federatrion
- Question: If you want to use a certain published model in your wikibase, such as CIDOC-CRM, would you 1) upload the model properties "as is" into your wikibase? (Lozana: No -- not practical) Or 2) would you do a selection of properties and then upload, or 3) would you enter them one by one?
- With zero human curation and everything done with scripts, maybe it's possible. But creating "third-tier" entities programmatically doesn't seem like a good idea.
- Lozana --> openrefine could be the solution to [missed part] move items around different databses (in connection with federation)
- There is also some news on making OpenRefine work with Wikibase. ; adding labels , statements, overriding, etc to Wikibase -- OPenRefine can now read your manifest and understand your custom data structure, not just Wikidata's any more
- It will be GUI based
- Question --> Wikibaseimport extension does allow importing properties attached to items, but it does not import all properties(?) -- see below
- Discussion on modeling events and RDF
- For the example with our case at Rhizome we care about finding out in one query all the artworks that were made by an event like web archiving
- Using WikibaseImport / WikidataIntegrator to successfully import properties/items
- In WikibaseImport, use --all-properties to load all properties with an item (found onhttps://stuff.coffeecode.net/2018/wikibase-workshop-swib18.html#_via_wikibaseimport_code_importentities_php_code)
- This blog post https://medium.com/@thisismattmiller/wikibase-for-research-infrastructure-part-1-d3f640dfad34 demonstrates how to use add_properties.py and add_items.py available in this repohttps://github.com/SemanticLab/data-2-wikibase
- Question? --> Are there better ways to document our work going forward, on different platforms; work with data models or also data upload and import and exchange.
- Sarah, we'd like to have documentaiton on the within the wiibase instance
- Dan -- hoping to have a clear space to find stuff https://wikibase-registry.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Exhortation to add your WB instance to the registry above; plan to add all docs tohttps://mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikibase
- Provenance presentation that was shared by Lozana --https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1aAotYvqgUYevqttYjJytRBQL5t9hx7tz2rq_nAH1KXI/edit?usp=sharing
Suggestions for next meeting